Hotel L'Echiquier Opera Paris MGallery by Sofitel

About Hotel L'Echiquier Opera Paris MGallery by Sofitel

• baggage storage
  • breakfast in the room
  • express check in check out
  • bottled water
  • soundproof rooms
  • wine champagne
  • spanish amenities
  • portuguese amenities
  • paid private parking nearby

The worst of all!!

Reviewed Fri 16th of November 2012

"First of all I must say the temperature in Paris was incredibly HOT!! I'm going to make a little DON'T LIKE list of this Hotel:
1.- If you are staying in a Hotel with American name, you can expect that the air conditioner work. (Not in this one it was the hottest place you can be in France).
2.- If you are staying in a Hotel with American name, you can expect that the Mini Bar work. (Not in this one it was the hottest mini bar in all France, the beer was hot and the water was worst).
3.- The bathtub is great if you want to keep the floor of the bathroom and the floor of your room wet all day.
4.- I think that it was a joke paying 16 euros (per person) for the breakfast in the hotel, I really felt i was being robbed.
5.- The Bussiness Center is like a dungeon in the hotel, (of course with no A/C and only one computer).
6.- If you get to your hotel abuot 10 or 11 p.m. by Metro or walking, be carefull it is not a friendly neiborhood.
Conclusion:
I'LL NEVER EVER IN MY LIFE RETURN AND NOT EVEN SEND A PERSON THAT I DON'T LIKE TO THIS HOTEL."

• Travel date: Wed 6th of July 2005

Purse snatched in Lobby!

Reviewed Fri 2nd of November 2012

"We were previously booked at another hotel but got bumped to Holiday Inn. At first I thought it was going to be a great thing since it was quite an upgrade. As we were checking in after being up all night on a flight, we asked to use the luggage rack. They guy said sure! Not we have a BELLBOY Madame! My mom set her purse down to help me load and then a thief who had been in the lobby stole her purse! The next 3 days were basically spendt on documents, getting money, etc. They reported the theft drew up a map for us to get to the police station the next day. That next day after the day from hell trying to find places when we returned there was a note from the Manager requesting we see her in the morning.

She recommended we not try to file a claim with their insurance since the lobby is a public place. She said she had been told we would be contacting her the previous morning. She said they would have offered a ride to the police station. We again explained a map with directions and advice to go there first thing is the morning was the only offer.

To top it all off. We had dinner in their restraunt immediately after the theft and we were explaining to the waiter about the theft and he simply changed the subject ignoring our situation and stress and seemed undone that we were sharing a dinner at 9pm.

We were comped a dinner-Same waiter-Same Menu

The room was nice enough. The plug to the bathtub almost impossible to ply back out of the tub. Heated towel rack not working.

This ended up being an extremely expensive bump for us."

• Travel date: Fri 3rd of June 2005

Mixed impressions (2 stays)

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"I've stayed in this hotel 2 times. The first time in an Executive Room at the 6th floor which was so good I booked the hotel once more in a "normal" room. The first stay was great: the room was spacious and with a balcony. I thoroughly enjoyed the stay.
The second stay was in a 2nd floor room with windows towards the courtyard and it was just too noisy. I was astonished at the amount of noise I could hear from room just adjacent to me. I don't mind tourists but the people next door came in on 12 o'clock at night and I could hear every sound.
I called the reception and they said they will talk to them but no real effect.
Breakfast and food is OK, hotel is stylish with Belle Epoque furnishings and a great old lift (some of the guests are afraid to take it ;-).
In general I have mixed feelings about this one. First stay made me think I have chosen my base in Paris (I am here often), the second made me start my search again."

• Travel date: Sat 14th of May 2005

Nice, comfortable, off main road

Reviewed Fri 2nd of November 2012

"I stayed in this hotel early December 2004 as it was half the price of my conference hotel. I paid €220/room (which was the flex rate - I know they have much better rates if you book in advance).

Staff on arrival were pleasant and even put up with my rusty attempts at French. Room was a very good size, on 4th Floor, overlooking the street. Found the room quiet enough and, as mentioned by previous posters (and as I find in a lot of hotel bathrooms), the shower does dampen the bathroom floor.

Location wise, the hotel is ideal for the main Metro lines, has a number of cafes, restaurants and bars nearby, 5 minutes walk from Galeries LaFayette!!, approx 15 minute walk from Place de la Concorde. If you are looking for a cheap drink, go left out the hotel, left, and left again - small dingy-looking bar but friendly and very cheap!

Some previous posters have mentioned the neighbourhood - I was out late at night and found no problems - some of the smaller alleyways off of the main street don't look very inviting, but why would you walk up a dark alleyway at night?

I would stay here again with my family, although would try to get one of the discounted rates. I think €220/room/night is reasonable in Paris for a hotel of this standard."

• Travel date: Mon 25th of April 2005

Good as a working base

Reviewed Mon 8th of October 2012

"I've stayed in this hotel several times, having been recommended to it by a US based client. My latest stay, 28 Feb-3 Mar 2005, was the best, although the wonderful old fashioned lift in the oval staircase is not working, and the only serviceable lift is the "new" 3 person lift which is quite small. The hotel public areas still maintain their "Belle Epoque" character.

The staff are very amenable and speak good English if you need that capability. However, I would say that much of the room decor is in need of refreshment now.

As other reviewers have noted it is probably 3-4* - but having stayed in many hotels in Paris I would put it nearer to 4* than 3* - try staying in a 3* hotel by Republic if you want to really experience Paris hotels (in July with no air conditioning...) At Opera it all works most of the time.

This time, staying for several days, I booked a superior room, which was large and a good deal booked through Holiday Inn direct in advance - almost US standard in fact and definitely better than many US Holiday Inns I have stayed in, well appointed with ample technology, fully functioning bathroom, and balcony. And in common with many European hotels, NO SLEEP FUNCTION on the TV (very irritating). And no niceties like bed turn down services. As noted above, the decor is a bit chipped round the edges - although they have just replaced all the curtains.

Breakfast has definitely improved since the first time I stayed there a couple of years ago; good coffee, plenty of juice and fresh fruit, plus nice breads - but a bit light on cooked foods and cold meat and cheeses for a Euro 20 breakfast, frankly.

The hotel is in a safe inner urban area and one of the best (non touristy) restaurants in Paris is a few hundred yards away. Also a couple of really good Japanese restaurants, and some nice trendy but well priced French and Italian caffs in the main Boulevard Montparnasse nearby (even a Macdonalds for late night coffee and frites).

The main street outside - a one way street - seems plagued with building improvements and road blockages though. So a higher floor is better if you have a prolonged stay."

• Travel date: Sat 19th of March 2005

Very Good Value in Paris

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"I stayed there for three nights in the beginning of January 2005. I found this to be a nice hotel offering very good value in Paris. I know it is hard to have anything decent in Central Paris below 150-200 euros. There I got an online rate of 120 Euro (advance payment).
The hotel definitely has its own charm with Belle Epoque interiors and exterior. It's not just a standard Holiday Inn. There you feel you are in Paris. At the same time, you get all amenities of a Holiday Inn and attentive service. The hotel is clean and very well maintained. The room was very comfortable with pleasant design, while the bathroom was basic (but you cannot expect too much for that price).
I used room service once and the food was good although the choice was limited. Their restaurant serving lunch and dinner (different from where you have brealfast) looks great, but there ae so many good restaurants in Paris that I did not get a chance to visit that one.
The hotel claims it has 4 stars. Well, it is definitely not the Paris 4 stars, which actually means 5 stars. But at the same time, this is much better than a standard European 3 star hotel. So, I would give it 3+ without any hesitation.
Now the negatives:
- the location is not really the Opera. It's within at least 15 minutes walk to Galleries Lafayette which would be a starting point to enter what I define as the tourist Paris. Not a big problem as you can get everywhere by metro (the station is nearby) or taxi. The neibourhood is not great, but this is again what saves your money.
- yes, the rooms are noisy. I did not have any problems with my neighbours, but the room faced a street. Although this used to be a quiet street, they must have unloaded trucks in the night, which woke me up a few times. So, my recommendation would be to ask for a room with an interior view. The street view is for next building anyway.

I would definitely stay in this hotel again if I am on budget, and the rate is below 200 euros."

• Travel date: Sun 6th of March 2005

Holiday Inn Paris Opera: Charmant!

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"Located in an active neighborhood on the right bank, the Holiday Inn - Paris Opera is an attractive boutique hotel set on a quiet street near les Grands Boulevards area. As we often find with European franchises, you can leave the boiler-plate image behind. The Holiday Inn - Paris Opera is long on charm and warmth.

The interior decor is rich with wood, stained glass and a wonderful oval-shaped spiral staircase. (You can also use the small elevator, but don't bring your steamer trunk along. The capacity is three people). The hotel has 92 guest rooms on its six floors. We were very impressed with the level of finish and the overall attractiveness of the facilities from top to bottom. If you can get breakfast included in your rate reasonably, we recommend it. The buffet is decent and the restaurant area in which it is served provides plenty of the "Belle Epoque" ambiance that the hotel takes pride in exuding.

If you happen to be a Priority Club member with status, we found the hotel recognizes this with little extras. Housekeeping was excellent and the overall quality of the property exceeds standards, in our view. We give this property high marks and we will gladly return.

The closest Metro stop: Bonne Nouvelle on Lines 8 & 9 is within a block or so. Also convenient is the Strasbourg-St. Denis (Lines 4, 8, 9); about two blocks walk."

• Travel date: Sat 5th of March 2005

Poor sound insulation otherwise fine.

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"Stayed here December 4th to December 6th, three nights. No concerns about the area. Room and bathroom four star standard. No problems with the location or the area. Check-in and check-out fine.

Minor problem, as alluded to by a previous poster, shower screen hopeless, so bathroom floor will get very wet.

Main problem. The rooms seem to have their televisions against the bed head wall of the adjoining room. Given that the speakers in modern TVs are at the back or atop the set you can guess how noisy the room was. We got to sleep when next door finished watching TV.
Spoilt our stay. Could hear next door's conversations quite clearly but they were in French so we couldn't understand them."

• Travel date: Wed 15th of December 2004

Mediocre

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"My room and the hotel was clean but very basic: No coffee/tea making facilities. The bed in my reservation was one double bed, but the room had two single beds. The shower routinely floods the bathroom. The outer rooms on the street sides are privy to Paris's buzzing nocturnal motor scooters, banging garbage trucks, singing and shouting drunks, etc. The walls are 'wehfer theen' so you will know all of your neighbors' business, if you know what I mean.

This is not a 4-star hotel by Paris standards.

Wi-Fi is E25 per day with Swisscom Eurospot."

• Travel date: Sat 6th of November 2004

This hotel is fine

Reviewed Fri 16th of November 2012

"We found that this hotel was better than the reviews indicated. First, the neighborhood is fine. It's not "questionable" or otherwise "scary" as others have indicated. It's located in a very urban part of town and is very, very close to the Underground station. The hotel is on a quiet street surrounded by nice restaurants banks, dry cleaning facilities and high end shops.

Second, the staff was fine as well, very helpful and bilingual. Even when we checked out of the hotel, the printer stalled and the desk clerk immediately hand wrote a receipt without any prompting by us at all.

Last, we thought that the lobby area was very nice. A lovely 1930's gold plate and iron elevator dominates the atrium, and is wrapeed by a good sized spiral staircase. There is also a second elevator availabe to guests. In addition, the restaurant is extremely sophisticated looking and better than most hotel dining areas that I've seen in some time, although it is a little expensive to dine there. Our room was quite large, the shower was fantastic and the bathroom was spacious, not cramped like a lot of European hotel rooms.

This hotel is fine. We had no problems at all."

• Travel date: Tue 5th of October 2004