Fantastic Hotel - Ideal Location - Impeccable Staff

Reviewed Fri 7th of December 2012

"My husband & I just returned from 8 amazing nights (11/25 - 12/03) at the Concorde Saint-Lazare.

*A bit about us(to help with weighing our evaluation): Me 32, Husband 38 - well traveled(combined, we have visited every continent except antarctica) - we typically stay at 4-5 star hotels/resorts. We very much enjoy good food/wine.*

Back to the trip: We booked a Superior room via Expedia - arrived at the hotel at noon and our room was ready - even though "official check-in" wasn't until 2pm. A wonderful surprise - since we were exhausted from our overnight flight! The room was IMMACULATE and large by Parisian standards. Very comfortable (see attached photos). The only oddity (not a problem - but a bit different) was the combined bathtub/shower. From the side the bathtub appears to be a deep 24" soaking tub - surprise! It is only about 14" deep - so when you climb into the tub/shower, you are basically standing on a platform 10" above the ground.

The hotel staff is friendly, efficient, fluent in English . . . there is a great bar in the lobby - a perfect cap for an evening that you don't want to end - which was every night for us (the bar is open until 1 am - drinks can be conveniently charged to the room). The bar menu contains a full range of international cocktails (martinis, cosmos, irish coffee, etc. . . )- which aren't available at some of the smaller places (Parisians tend to favor champagne, wine and cocktails involving champagne and wine). The hotel location is also very convenient to shopping! Galleries Layfayette and Printemps are right around the corner (a very short walk) and the Christmas Window Displays were magical.

Restaurants: We started every morning at Starbucks (turn left out of the hotel, it is just a few steps down, carved out of the same building as the hotel) - I know, not very Parisian - but it provided the coffee I needed to start my day. We tried all of the restaurants across the street. Marco Polo was our favorite and we highly recommend it if you want a restaurant very convenient to the hotel (because your feet are tired from walking all over paris). The menu includes Italian and French favorites and is always crowded - but we never waited for a table. Food is delicious and waiters are friendly. If you go to the Eiffel tower - we found a FANTASTIC little place over there called "Chez Ribe" - if you take line C to the Eiffel Tower, just turn right down Av de Suffren - it will be on your left @ 15 Av du Suffren. So fantastic - with funky african decor. Very cozy on a winter's night . . . and not too pricey. It was our absolute favorite! Also, on our last night, we had a dinner cruise on Bateaux Parisien (-------). We booked online the Premier Service - and it was a perfect end to an amazing trip. With the higher price tag - you get a better table with better view and more personalized service and more drinks. The food was actually excellent, service outstanding, and the liquor flowed . . . The entertainment quality was excellent (not cheezy at all - very romantic) - the ambiance was exquisite.

Transportation: The hotel could not be more convenient to the Metro/Train. Access to one of the largest "Gares" or train/metro stations in Paris - many metro lines, as well as the E train - is literally right outside your door. This is particularly convenient if you are travelling during inclement weather.

*If it is your first time in Paris - remember to never get rid of your ticket after using it to pass through the metro/train gate at your departure station - many stations require that you insert the ticket again to leave the station at your destination.

Tips on taking the train from CDG airport to the Concorde Saint Lazare: Unless you have Euro coins - DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE THE AUTOMATED TICKET MACHINES a the train station to purchase a train ticket into paris. They do not accept American credit cards (only SMART cards) - and do not accept bills - only Euro coins. There were many jet-lagged Americans trying to purchase their tickets from these machines (including us) only to realize that they could easliy wait in a fast line with a human teller to buy train tickets into Paris - we bought round-trip tickets (16 Euros/pp roundtrip or 8 Euros/pp one-way). This is the cheapest way to go and also helps to familiarize you with the wonderful Public transportation system of Paris. From the airport, take the free shuttle bus from your terminal to the TGV (or train station) the shuttle bus is marked is white and yellow with a gray ADP on the side - and route will be clearly displayed . From the TGV take line B to Gare Nord/Magenta and take the underground path to line E (towards Saint-Lazare). At Saint-Lazare, take Sortie 2 (Exit 2) Place du Havre and you will be directly across the street from the hotel.

In all, we HIGHLY recommend this hotel. We would stay there again in a heartbeat. The trip ended much too soon. We were very sad to leave the Concorde Saint-Lazare . . . I hope that you enjoy your stay as much as we did."

• Travel date: Mon 12th of December 2005

Great Parisian fine

Reviewed Sun 18th of November 2012

"We just got back from 5 days in Paris, and stayed at the Hotel Concorde Sainte Lazare. It is right next to the metro (but there's great soundproofing), so it is extremely convenient to get anywhere by metro. But we walked most places, as the location is also ideal for walking to the Louvre, Musee D'Orsey, and even the Eiffel Tower. The staff was very helpful and friendly - they changed my room when I asked for a double bed instead of two twins pushed together (which I guess is pretty standard in Paris). The lobby is just beautiful, although usually smokey (like everything else in Paris). The price was definitely reasonable, and we got a great deal through Expedia, which made it even more affordable. There are plenty of restaurants and coffee places nearby, although many of them are chains (but definitely try Bistro Romain right across the street).
Based on reviews I read about hotels in Paris, I was expecting a very small and basic room, but the bathroom was lovely, and the room, while not huge, was more than adequate.
Our only complaint would be the cost of food and wine at the hotel bar - it was pretty steep. And for some reason there is no coffee/tea maker or clock radio in the room. But all in all, I would definitely go back to the hotel and recommend it to friends."

• Travel date: Sat 26th of November 2005

Not great

Reviewed Sun 18th of November 2012

"The superior room looked attractive when we first walked in, with its warm autumn colours and floral prints. Upon closer look however, I realised that our room had been well worn. The wood furniture was chipped. The white bathroom floor was cracked and darkened by wear. The towels were thin and stained. It was rather disappointing for a four star hotel.

The location is good for its proximity to the department stores and convenient metro connections, but otherwise, the immediate surroundings are charmless and the nearby traffic is noisy.

This hotel is adequate for those who are in Paris only for a short stay but I would not recommend it to anyone looking for something special."

• Travel date: Fri 25th of November 2005

mixed feelings

Reviewed Mon 15th of October 2012

"First impressions are often wrong; same in my experience of this hotel.
I was first blinded by the advantageous internet pictures and the 4 star rating of this hotel, next to the reasonalble sounding charge for the superior room.
Arriving at the hotel, the staff was strikingly courtious and friendly (except of one of the concierges). The foyer of the hotel is pompous and a good place to meet. The single superior room was quite small, but clean at first site. It was only until the evening when I tested the bed: The mattress was soft and probably dated. Already in bed, a bed bug crawled over the canvas which I managed to eleminate. Needless to say that I was not impressed and the sleep somewhat disturbed. I managed not to be bitten, did not complain and as a matter of fact stayed for the pre-paid following night. I must admit that this would not be for the faint hearted. My advice: Check the bed before you accept the room."

• Travel date: Sun 20th of November 2005

Pretty good.

Reviewed Fri 7th of December 2012

"The good: Location, granduer of the lobby and polite wait-staff.
The bad: If you get the cheapest room, the room is barely big enough to house a mouse. (But it was clean and had everything a person needs.)"

• Travel date: Thu 20th of October 2005

Not that Great

Reviewed Wed 26th of December 2012

"We just got back from our two week honeymoon trip, with our first stop being the Hotel Concorde Saint-Lazare. We arrived around 1:00 pm. The staff welcomed us to the Hotel, said the room was not ready, and to check back around 2:00pm. We had lunch, came back around 2:15....still not ready. They said they would look into it....another hour passed..still nothing. We finally got into out room around 3:30. The rooms were small, the prices are crazy at the hotel...don't bother eating or drinking on site unless you have an unlimited funds. Overall, I probably wouldn't stay here again, especially at the rates they charge."

• Travel date: Tue 18th of October 2005

very very good

Reviewed Tue 25th of December 2012

"i have to admit i was a bit weary about going here,as with most places. however after reading reviews
from tripadvisor i felt a little more reasured and with good reason the hotel is simply beautiful inside and out the staff were friendly especially the front desk woman (i should have got her name) was exceptionally helpful showing us around the hotel to physically pick the room we wanted-and upgraded us to a junior suite!
i have never had that before (as a young couple we usually get ignored)
the room was big spoteless and well equipped,housekeeping replenished everything even if it had hardly been touched,and were genuinly friendly,the area i could not believe so ideal,right next to a metro and i meen close,so transportation to anywere in paris was simply easy went to the tower in about 10-15 mins,although it is completely walkable,a few down points i will now list

1. no tea coffee making facilitys? why i dont know
2. bath a bit small not a fault as such but i have to think of something bad and it is hard
3. hotel food and mini bar take the mick for price 6euros for a can of coke!
paris is expensive but that is silly.

however good points

1.location,building and staff are all very good i seriously thought i was a five * standard there was gold all over the place and the lobby photos on expedia for once dont do it justice
2. hotel food is pricy but there is a macdonalds literally opposite-only a small cafe style one not intrusive and its cheap and very nice for breakfast (pancakes backon,egg) and a starbucks attatched to the end of the hotel,not to mention the pastry/sandwitch shops and resteraunts opposite.
3. separate bathroom and toilet,two chairs,couch,and work desk,big bed

overall i loved it and would go again."

• Travel date: Tue 13th of September 2005

Large rooms, friendly service

Reviewed Tue 25th of December 2012

"We traveled to Paris for the Tour de France finale and had a great experience at this hotel with our two small children. At check-in, both children received a small gift which was a nice surprise. The deluxe room was huge for Paris standards and the marble bathroom spacious. The staff brought us warm milk for our baby twice a day. The breakfast staff were helpful and food quite good. The lobby is lovely and we found the location quite central. McDonalds is across the street if you need a quick meal with kids. A great experience for a family."

• Travel date: Mon 12th of September 2005

Lovely staff, great location next to metro, superb decor

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Concorde Saint-Lazare. The receptionist upgraded our rooms and the concierge was very helpful. He booked many evening shows for my family to see. The receptionist also made sure I had a good stay and was very pleasant and friendly! The people made the hotel a five star experience.

The metro station on the next block is one of the biggest metros in Paris, so you can go just about anywhere via Saint-Lazare. This was excellent because my family had an outting everyday via the metro... the lourve, eiffel tower, champs elysees, moulin rouge, dinner on the river seine, etc It was great to have the whole city accessible a block away.

All in all, I would recommend this hotel to my friends."

• Travel date: Mon 5th of September 2005

Lovely Hotel

Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"We stayed here for a short break in August 2005. Although there was a slight mix up with our booking, it was soon sorted out. Our Deluxe Room was spacious, comfortable and clean. The furniture was well chosen and fitted with the whole ambience of the hotel. It was very quiet and peaceful.
The air conditioning was an absolute must and we would have been very uncomfortable without it.
The breakfast was very good, fresh coffee, lots of choice of hot and cold foods, fruit, etc etc. There was even a table of oriental food which was much appreciated by some of the guests. We felt that it was worth the 24 Euros, especially as it saves all the hastle of finding your own breakfast.
The staff here were very good. Not pushy or aggesive but always there iif you needed them. The doormen were excellent. They all spoke excellent English.
We walked from the hotel to the Arc de Triomphe, it was a pleasant hour's stroll. Certainly not worth using the Metro for as you see all kinds of wonderful sites on the way. The hotel is within walking distance of Paris Nord but I would recommend getting a taxi, only 8 euros.
I would definitely visit this hotel again and would not hesitate to recomment it to anyone looking for a peaceful place to stay."

• Travel date: Sun 14th of August 2005