About La Grande Metairie

• lazy river
  • water park

Extremely great holiday

Reviewed Wed 25th of July 2018

"Please don’t take all reviews below as gospel. It would seem many people just want a 5* hotel.

Eurocamp staff were excellent, not a problem with them. They were friends and advseable. The caravan was acceptable and while the cleaning wasn’t to hotel standard, I was happy with it mattresses were thick and comfey, the oven wasn’t the best but if someone still complaining about checked being raw after 2.5hrs, then there is something wrong with them, who waits for 2.5hrs???

The site was great! Changed a lot since 2002 when I was last here. The tree climbing was new, however I notice someone below complaining because it was closed for H&S reasons. Why complain? Would you rather it was closed than open and being a risk. The mini golf is the same from 2002 and does require slot of work, but does not smell of urine as noted.

The pool was great, cold in the morning but warmed up in the sun, it’s an outdoor pool! It’s gonna get cold at times!! But it was clean and fresh.

Animals, ok there isn’t a petting zoo, but a pig, small llama, goats and chickens. My 4 year old daughter liked it!!

Oh....and don’t be put off with people as complaints about the fob! You are not charged €10, it’s a deposit! You get refunded on return which you have to sign for the fob in the first place. Any problems asee the main site reception!!

Food at the restaurant!! €90 for a pizza, burger and round of drinks? Utter rubbish, the commenter was part of a huge family! Food was a little high for what you get, burger/pizza €11-14 each! Roughly what you pay in a restaurant! 3 of us ate for €40 so €90 will be right for 7 people so not sure where the complaint is!!

Overall, I think this is a cracking site and will most defiantly be back again!!! It just appears you can’t please some people but take it from me.....this is a great site!!!!"

• Travel date: Sun 1st of July 2018

good site but a few points to be prepared for.

Reviewed Thu 1st of September 2011

"Just returned from 2 weeks with Eurocamp in a tent.

This is a big site with a mixture of pitches from tents, caravans to touring pitches. The ground has little or no grass and when we arrived it had rained for a few days and the water in places ran off the bear earth like a mini river. I had to re-dig a drainage route as I noticed others doing. This was not just the Eurocamp pitches but people with their own tents and caravans with awnings. It did rain again in our holiday and not an issue so it must be after continue or heavy rain when the ground becomes saturated. Just be prepared.

The lay out of some of the pitches is poor. They had what I can best describe as large gypsy style wooden caravans. The hedging was non existant, was opposite the animals so did carry a smell of poo and had no privacy. One of the tent touring pitches did have a border but was next to the goat enclosure and standing water. Smell and flies!

The pool is great as the lazy river is nice and slow so no worries for the youngesters being carried away and they allow inflatable rings which you can sit on etc. My 4 & 6 year old loved it. Usual aspect of people reserving sun loungers early but not an issue for us as we walked up for a swim then back to the pitch when finished.

There are several toilet blocks and the one near us was good. Showers a bit hit and miss on both heat and strength but once I found a good one, I stuck to that. One annoying aspect is that the close half the block off in the morning to clean it. So at 9am, it can be difficult to find a free toilet and I know my wife had to que a few times. Not a major issue just an occasional annoyance.

Only used the take away once and was dissapointed. They provided no covering for the food so chips were cold by the time we got them back to the tent. You also need to take you own bag up to carry the food back. I found it expensive and was able to eat out in Carnac for roughly the same price.

Plenty to do on site with a small kids disco for 30 mins most nights. Mine loved it and there is evening entertainment which the wife enjoyed. There is horse riding, mini golf, etc and can be costly if you want it all but reasonable if you pick and choose.

Becuase the site has animals, is wooded and standing water, be prepared to be bitten by insects. Almost everyone I saw had bites so be well prepared for this.

The site itself is outside of Carnac and if you go out the back gate (not well known) its a 5 min drive to the beach or a 20 min walk. Also a good back route to the Super U, a 5 min drive. The back gate is a great tool depending upon which end of Carnac you want to go to.

Using this gate you can go to Men Du beach with is very child friendly as very shallow and there is a small island you can walk to even if the tide is in and when out there are pools of water to play in. If as a larger child or adult you want to swim then best off with the main Carnac beach.

This is a large site and I was amazed at the self regulation on noise. It does not start to wake up until nearly 9am. I got more sleep there than at home.

I would happily go back again and would just be more prepared for the insect attacks and a small spade in case of heavy rain."

• Travel date: Sun 28th of August 2011

First-time reluctant camper's view

Reviewed Wed 3rd of November 2010

"Stayed at the site at the end of August 2010 in our tent. Have never camped for longer than 2 nights before and was frankly dreading the whole experience. Arrived lateish on changeover Saturday, but were still dealt with and at our pitch within 20 mins of arrival. The pitch was plenty big enough for our massive tent - it was a bit stony which isn't ideal, but they'd put down wood shavings to soak up some of the surface water following recent heavy rain which was thoughtful.

The lavatory block was fairly close, but not unpleasantly so - the facilities were always clean, much moreso than I'd anticipated, and there was always hot water. You have to be quick in the showers which are on the shortest timer you'll ever come across, I hope.

The chalets looked nice (even nicer when it was raining and we were stuck in our tent) and seemed to have plenty of space and privacy.

There seemed to be a strong element of self-regulation when it came to noise after 11pm - everyone was very considerate. The only problem we had with noise (apart from acorns dropping onto our tent in the night - makes a surprisingly loud noise) was the girl who cleaned the Eurocamp chalet next to our pitch - she had her stereo on full blast, affording us all an opportunity to bring ourselves up to date with young people's music. On the plus side, she took AGES to clean the chalet so Eurocamp customers can rest easy in their beds.

The pool area was fantastic - our children loved it, although the water was way too cold for my liking. Again, spotlessly clean, no plasters floating round.

The bar and games area was fine - exactly what you'd expect of this sort of place, if not a little better. Again, our children (9 and 7) loved it and we were parted from considerable amounts of our money in the pursuit of air hockey brilliance.

Talking of money, the on-site shop is good, but, hey, those croissants are expensive. The staff were always laughing, presumably at the hordes of English people reeling away from the shop, white-faced at the amount of money they'd just spent on breakfast. The shop ran out of milk a couple of times, but other than that it's good for staples. We'd taken quite a bit of food from home anyway and looking at the costs of stuff like tinned tuna and breakfast cereal, we were glad we had.

The laundry and washing facilities are plentiful and clean and if, like me, you need a little downtime occasionally, you can escape there to read Heat! whilst claiming to be busy.

There are horses to ride and bicycles to hire. The horses looked well-cared for and as happy as a horse can look (cue why the long face joke). We didn't hire bicycles but loads of other people did and they all looked cheery too.

The site seemed to be suitable for disabled guests too - I didn't see anything which might present a problem for a wheelchair user.

The nearest beaches are perfect for small children - lots of rock pools and shallow water and other beaches are ideal for surfing.

Restaurants in local towns and villages are good but fairly expensive, we thought. We went into Auray a couple of times and found good restaurants there - worth a drive.

In summary, we had foul weather for the first five days of our hols and were set to come home, swearing never to go camping again, if the sixth day turned out to be vile too. Fortunately it dawned bright and sunny and stayed like that for the rest of the holiday and I now only have very fond memories of our time in Brittany. I would recommend the site to families with youngish children - there wouldn't be much to do for early teenagers, I think - and I imagine it would be absolutely perfect out of the main holiday season. I would definitely go back."

• Travel date: Wed 3rd of November 2010

Action Packed

Reviewed Tue 20th of July 2010

"Stayed June 2009 with my son (4) and hubby.  Enjoyed the park's facilities - agree that the bar area is rather rowdy as the family entertainment tries to cater for adults, teenagers and kiddies alike. Pool complex was great - really clean albeit not too many loungers - small area for sunbathing.Disappointed with the level of cleanliness with the Keycamp caravan albeit pitch was good - age of the mobile wasnt up to the standard in other sites we've stayed in and are regular users across France.I have to agree with another comment made earlier that the staff employed during the summer season 2009 here at the park weren't the most helpful not did they show much in the way of initiative - this team did let Keycamp standards down I'm afraid unlike other parks we've been at.But with that said I've booked to go back in August 2010 and do hope that the standard of accommodation and helpfulness of the keycamp team is much more improved - this is a test as to whether my fifth year booking will be with them again??!So watch I on my way:-)  Please hope for good weather too!"

• Travel date: Sun 18th of July 2010

Outstanding

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"I have just stumbled across the reviews of this campsite and am amazed by the negative comments I am reading. So, I feel its time for some positive feedback, especially for those heading there this year and are now reading this.

I have spent my summer holiday here for the last four consecutive years and am returning again this year.

The first three visits were a mix of Keycamp & Eurocamp mobile homes. The standard of these varies hugely from the 'brand new' to 'the completely past it'. I also had bad experience of the ENGLISH staff employed by these companies. They were lazy and unhelpful and did the minimum of cleaning they could get away with. I learnt that the best way forward is to book direct with the site. Their mobile homes are leagues ahead in terms of style/age and are kept spotlessly clean. (No oven/grill but you get used to it!)

The focal point of the site is a large pool complex with slides and different pools to suit different ages & activities. There is an indoor pool and yes, like most sites, it can be a bit crowded if the weather is rubbish, but thats to be expected. The pool area has been very attractively landscaped and is kept meticulously clean by an army of workers who jet wash the entire surround every morning before it opens. The pool/slides do get busy in high season and it can get a bit boisterous but I have only ever seen good spirits and people having a good time. There is a v safe toddler area!

As a returning customer over the years, what I have noticed is that every year during the winter, money is pumped back into the site so that there is always something new and improved. New for 2008 was the pool restaurant which serves good basic food, fairly priced in a lively environment with views over the pool. (Evenings only)

I have only ever had good experience with the French staff particularly the entertainment team. Last year, they were a great crowd and my kids still refer to them by name even now.

The bar area does get noisy in high season but not very late and I have never had a problem being kept awake.

The toilets/showers are adequate and there are plenty of them.

The site is dominated by mobile homes and this probably isn't the place for purist campers and caravaners who like a tranquil and spacious site. I have seen people in their own tents and many of the pitches seem to be on main paths and by the toilet blocks.

If I had to find fault, I would say that the shop closing at lunchtime is frustrating.

I would recommend this place to anyone with children of all ages and look forward to my 2009 visit in a few weeks."

• Travel date: Mon 20th of July 2009

Great range of pools

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"So many options of excellent swimming pools - outdoors & indoors, full size & for toddlers, water slides. Loads of activities for our toddler, would definitely return again. Poolside restaurant never very busy, people must eat back at their cabins. OK menu at night but very poor for lunchtime. Accomodation with Kelair was grand, nothing special, clean and functional. Friends with Keycamp had no problems with them either. Looking forward to returning to france next year, might go further south next time but would have no hesitation returning to this place."

• Travel date: Wed 10th of June 2009

Aggressive staff

Reviewed Mon 27th of April 2009

"We camped here with our 2 children. Not many spaces for tents and were crammed in near the toilet block and restaurant with no other pitch available to us. On the 1st night we were woken at 1.30am by the restaurant staff sitting outside laughing and talking loudly, they disturbed our children so my husband called over the hedge for them to keep the noise down. This ended up in a near physical fight with the staff outside our tent shouting at us in French, the Restaurant Manager lunged at my husband to punch him in front our of children who at this point were hysterical with fear. The next day we went to make a complaint and were told we were lying!!! Our neighbours went to back up our story and we were told to leave and lose our payment or stay and shut up. Everywhere else was full so we stayed but ended up leaving early due to the upset and further verbal abuse we got over the hedge everynight. We have used Castels for over 20 years but I would NEVER use them again. An utter disgrace. If you are a camper avoid like the plague, its like a very poor Pontins abroad, surrounded by mobile homes run by kids who don't give a ****. "

• Travel date: Mon 27th of April 2009

Rude, aggressive staff

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"I booked this site after much research. We booked directly for a camping pitch. There are hardly any tent pitches, the whole site is like a massive Pontins by the sea. Not great if you prefer to camp as the mobiles were very noisy (doors slamming, people stomping around etc) and took over the landscape. We were put right outside the main toilet block and Restaurant/takeaway so we had a constant stream over people, noise and various smells from 'over the hedge'. The site was full so they couldn't move us although we had booked a year in advance asking for a quiet area. After the first night we were woken by the restaurant staff sitting outside laughing and drinking, they woke the kids and at 1.30am we thought it was uinreasonable considering the quite after 11pm rule. My Husband called over the hedge for them to be quiet please and received a deluge of verbal abuse in French about what they thought of the English. This went on and on until the children started crying and next doors baby started screaming. Then the staff came round to our tent and the Manager went to punch my Husband, in front our our children. Luckily the other staff and myself pulled them apart and they left. I complained the next day and were told we were lying!!! They sais we had to go but they would not refund our payment of 2 weeks! We tried to find somewhere else but in peak season no chance so we stayed. Every night we got shouting over the hedge from the restaurant staff so we ended up leaving early and going home. A terrible experience for our children whos one holiday in the year was ruined. Staff and management are appalling and obviously are happy to take the money from the English but dislike us. We saw a young child on the horses get bitten by another horse and nothing was done, he was told to get off the horse and go (he was about 6), this really upset me! The staff who looked after the mobile homes were awful, all young and incompetent. I washed up next top a group of them one day and they were all slagging off the campers and the mess and complaints they made, charming! The washing machine and dryer were broken and it rained every day we were there. I have camped in brittany for over 20 years and NEVER experienced such utter rudeness. A horrible place, I will never use Castels again, they are overpriced sites who really don't care, especially if you are a Brit!"

• Travel date: Mon 27th of April 2009

Key Camp - Dirty - Rude - Stay Away

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"My extended Family travelled to this site in 2008. My wife and I, along with our two children, 5 and 1 booked a 3 bed, 2 toilet Villagrand from Key Camp. My parents in Law booked a 2 bed 2 toilet mobile, also from Key Camp. On arrival at 1pm, our Mobiles were not ready, so we helped my parents pitch their touring caravan, despite e-mailing the site to inform them of the length of the touring van, they still tried to put them on a pitch on which the caravan would not fit. However, they were helpful and arranged another pitch.
Eventually, at about 5pm we were taken to our caravans. As soon as we arrived at our mobile my heart sank, filthy dirty mobile from the outside, however it had trees surrounding it so it would naturally get mossy. Inside was worse, the carpet in the bedroom outside the toilet was stained beyond belief! The main seating area on the side panels were blue however the upholstery was so dirty you could not see the pattern, let alone the colour. The cupboards were grimy and worst of all, the door handle to one of the kids rooms was broken off on the outside, so if the door was shut we could not get in!!!
I refused to accept the mobile and after a lot of arguing and phoning their UK office, I was taken to view the only other available 3 bed mobile, however it was equally as dirty. They kept on saying that they do not guarantee the age of the mobiles, they could not understand my point, old vans do not have to be dirty vans, in fact I stayed in an older mobile in Les Ormes (great place) which was spotless and the Keycamp staff were great. They would not give me a refund and they best they could do was a 2 bed 1 toilet for the four of us. We took this and swapped with my parents in law. This new mobile did not come with a gas barbeque (the mobiles we booked did), and when I requested one for my parents in law, they tried to charge us for it.
In general the Key Camp staff were awful, they did not seem to clean the mobiles properly and were quite unfriendly. I phoned the UK office and insisted the area Key Camp manager visit me at the site, I received a call, confirming he would visit me within seven days, however he did not turn up.
Every day we met people who had dirty mobile's from both KeyCamp and Eurocamp, the other mobile's seemed ok.
The pool area was fantastic, although the staff were a disgrace, if you tried to move a sun bed from one area to another (it is nice to sit near the toddlers pool with a 1 year old) they shouted at you. My mother in Law brought us some ice creams from the site shop however we were asked to leave as you were not allowed to eat in the pool area. The pool attendants son however had his sandwiches at the pool each day. It seemed to be different rules for different people.
The site shop closed over lunch which could be quite inconvenient.
Mosquitoes are a big problem after very hot periods, so if you suffer you need to stay indoors in the evening.
Overall, the pool complex is very nice but let down by the staff, the quality and cleanliness of the KeyCamp mobiles are well below standard. The site is in a good situation, good local facilities but let down by site management and mobile operators.
I must clarify, I have used Keycamp in the past and they have been of a very good standard, I think it is the staff on this site that have the poor standards."

• Travel date: Mon 6th of April 2009

Be silent after 11 pm or else

Reviewed Sun 9th of December 2012

"A group of friends (4 families) went to Les Menhirs for our annual holiday in August 2008.

The reps at the site did not visit us an tell us about the kids clubs etc. They showed us to our caravan and that was it. In the brochure the caravans are shown with decking, ours did not have decking.

The life guards were rude, they would shout if you stood at the wrong part at the top of the slide whilst our french friends were able to dive bomb in the pool etc.

The nearby beaches, places to visit were lovely but we did find the French people arrogant and unfriendly. They do not possess customer sevice skills of any sort.

Keycamp only rent caravans on a site. It is not like a holiday park in UK. Also on the camp are Eurocamp, Matthews holidays etc.

The rudest person of all was the owner of the camp. She told us to SHUSH one evening after we'd been out in the town. We were just walking home to our caravan and could not believe that someone could talk to us in that manner. The next day we were supposed to be given a warning but we were out at the beach and the manager did not think to leave a note for us. We had a BBQ that evening, having a few laughs, NOT A RAVING PARTY and we were thrown off the next day!

There is a rule of silence after 11pm . The reps did not tell us about this, even though we were a large group and were obviously going to create a little bit of noise. A rep had been told to go home as well earlier in the year.

There are no signs to diplay this rule, the only communication that is given is on the back of a map at reception, which we were not given.

The reps did nothing to help. we were given number for hotels to call and told to leave and get the ferrry home the next day at 12 noon.

9 adults, 7 children turned off to the streets without nowhere to sleep.

The owner of the site has the right to do as she pleases, keycamp have no control whatsover.

We won't be going back to Brittany even though it's a lovely place (like Cornwall) simply because of the French people."

• Travel date: Tue 18th of November 2008

Keycamp disaster

Reviewed Tue 28th of October 2008

"This a great site if you''re not in a keycamp mobile. The site has great facilities, kids clubs, etc. but the Keycamp mobile we stayed in was dirty, with broken fittings and juvenile staff who hadn't a clue.

When I emailed a compliant to the company I didn't even receive a reply!
Go visit this great site, just go with another company!!"

• Travel date: Tue 28th of October 2008

Great site for families

Reviewed Sun 9th of December 2012

"Great site, esp if you have kids, lots to do - staff very helpful. Beautiful area. Booked with an irish website and the mobile we were given was rather old and scruffy. The campsite's own looked much nicer so would recommend booking direct."

• Travel date: Mon 15th of September 2008

Hotels near La Grande Metairie

Top traveller tips for La Grande Metairie

• deepadeb by deepadeb

"A fabulous area of France, you won "

• Menston Mum by Menston Mum

"Lovely for families of young children "

La Grande Metairie is also called