Hotel Barriere Le Normandy Deauville

The perfect hotel experience

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"Our stay at the Normandy reminded me quite a lot of a stay at Le Negresco in Nice some years ago. It is actually not a hotel STAY, rather a hotel EXPERIENCE. Normandy is among the few historical hotel monuments of this world, and contains everything that we can expect from traditional french hotel art (yes, I do think that running a hotel can be considered an art in itself). It takes something extra to work at such a hotel, but the hotel also demands something extra from its guests. As a guest you enter an organizational mini-world that have existed for a century, and that world request several decisions, continuous communication with the staff and relaxed sophistication in order to be enjoyed. Those who seek hotels loaded with all the latest technical wonders should go elsewhere, as should those who like to count on value for money in every little detail. For the rest, Normandy allows everyone to feel a bit like a count in a castle - surrounded by every pleasure imaginable, but also expected to engage in the experience. And yes, it does come at a cost."

• Travel date: Fri 28th of July 2006

Top class seaside palace resort

Reviewed Tue 16th of October 2012

"We just returned from a midweek at this famous landmark resort in classy Deauville. Upon arrival the ladies were welcomed with a rose at check in, after which we were escorted to our deluxe seaview rooms (210 and 211).A real delight! The Normandy Barrière is one of those resorts where you feel at home right away.It still has the turn of the century elegance and style that one expects in this kind of Hotels. The decoration of the Belle Epoque restaurant with beautiful court comes out of an Agatha Christie Novel.The buffet at 47 euro is a real bargain; Fresh Oysters, Langoustines, a variety of salads, pâtés and seafood delicacies as well as a selection of all the best french cheeses and a mouthwatering buffet of desserts.I really have to point out that the professionalism of the staff adds to the whole experience.Also the "Bar Américain" of the hotel is worth a visit, although quite expensive (7.50 euro for a diet Coke). Our 2,5 years old son had the time of his life. In the morning he was welcomed in the hotel nursery, in the afternoon he splashed all over the indoor pool and at nighttime a babysitter took good care of him (10 euro/hr) while we were dining and wining.I really want to recommend this resort to every traveller who still enjoys the finer things in life, with a french touch of "savoir vivre" rather than anonymous, mismanaged five star hotels which are packed one to another on Turkish and Spanish rivieras. On our last night we went to the Deauville Casino at "Le Brummel". This was a complete waste of time and money (canteen-cuisine). This was the only downside of the journey but well worth mentioning."

• Travel date: Wed 12th of April 2006

Stop off

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"I had just returned from a round France drive and decided to drop into Deauville on the advice of some friends in Bordeaux. Luckily I chanced upon this Hotel and there was availability. The room was adequate although I did not have a view but one can't expect much for last minute bookings. The Hotel was very congested with businessmen which I found a bit off-putting but on the whole it was a good base to stroll the market and walk around this pleasant location."

• Travel date: Tue 20th of September 2005

A bargain!!

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"Having only paid $740 for 4 nights in a deluxe room we were overjoyed to see that the actual room rate was $350 a night. Howerver if we had paid the full price I might of been a little less impressed.

After pulling up outside our car was unloaded before we'd even got out, things had started well. The room was large, clean and airy (although there is no Aircon). The breakfast was excellent with everything for the continental or US/UK start to the day. We even returned one afterrnoon to find the maid had folded all our clothes up and put them away along with putting everything neatly. Also if you dont want disturbing put the 'do not disturb' sign up as they come and check that things are ok at least three times a day.

One recommendation i'd make is not really to eat in the restraunt. Unless the service is absolutely amazing there are just as good ones in Trouville for half the price. Also try not to get a bedroom that looks onto the 'Printemps' shop (to the left of the entrance) as you're over the trade entrance and if you want to sleep in (past 10) they can be quite noisy unloading things for the hotel."

• Travel date: Mon 30th of May 2005

Superb

Reviewed Sun 11th of November 2012

"Stayed here in 2002 it was great value for money. Hotel is superb, food excellent, service first class."

• Travel date: Thu 17th of March 2005

Not as billed, gang

Reviewed Tue 20th of November 2012

"Wow, what a waste. Left Paris for 2 days to visit Normandy, and really made a mistake staying here. It started when they put us in a room without a balcony or a view of the ocean, which I had selected. Hoping to get me with "oh, sir, but you didn't confirm this with us", I produced my "confirmation" email, which really screwed their logic. 30 minute waste of time ensued. Bar drinks were, no joke, 15 euros. Beds were HORRID, hard TWIN beds pushed together and called a "King" by the hotel. Oh my god, for 380E / night, I expect a real bed. Then the snoring from the guy next door went RIGHT THROUGH the wall all night as if made of wax paper. They also blew some reservations for a horseback ride for us by sending us out during the worst summer squall winds in 10 years to ride ON THE BEACH -- needless to say we declined. However, the hotel tried to charge us for the reservation, claiming that we were told "many, many times" about no foul weather guarantee. Are you kidding people? I'm the detail guy who saved the email when you guys first tried to scam us, no way again. VISA charge reversed, needless to say. Geez, we've been treated better by hotels in Laughlin, Nevada."

• Travel date: Sat 26th of June 2004

A first class step back in time

Reviewed Sun 11th of November 2012

"My family and I stayed at the hotel last December. Walking into the hotel was like stepping back in time a 100 years, the decor was beautiful , the rooms where very clean and well appointed decorated in a renaissance style with seperate toilet and bathroom. The breakfast was outstanding and service levels where excellent. Its a good base to visit Paris from ,trains run frequently and takes about 90minutes.
Deauville is very beautiful but also very expensive,as we visited in low season a lot of the local bars and resturants were closed. The hotel plays host to the Deauville film festival each september , we where told Clint Eastwood, Tom Cruise and Robert DeNiro had stayed there this year and phots are displays in the lobby of all famous film stars who haved stayed at the hotel. Aviod dinner in the hotel £75.00 ahead pp. Drinks expensive ,but your paying for the sorrounding. In the summer there is a private beach , pool and casino for guests of the hotel."

• Travel date: Tue 2nd of December 2003

Loved the Normandy Barriere

Reviewed Tue 20th of November 2012

"My husband and I stayed at the Normandy Barriere for 7 nights in September '03. This large hotel and its architecture is exceptional from the outside. They upgraded us to a spacious, sea-view room that was clean and nicely decorated including some antiques. Rooms were soundproof, very quiet, even when the hotel was full on the weekend due to a car rally. Bathroom was large but a bit awkward for two, including a narrow bathtub with a 1/2 panel swinging glass door that leaked water all over the floor no matter how careful you were. The full breakfast buffet in their large, light dining room was very complete and very good. Spa including sauna and pool were clean and uncrowded. Normandy is a beautiful part of France, and we would highly recommend the Barriere for its convenience and comfort. A related hotel, the Royal Barriere, seemed very nice too, but a bit stuffy, compared to the Normandy, which had an upscale, but more casual and friendly atmosphere. Have fun!"

• Travel date: Sat 11th of October 2003