May 2011 silver sands

Reviewed Tue 10th of May 2011

"Just back from silver sands- perfect location, nice beach and lovely sea, we were bed and breakfast and the choice of food was good although the eggs were well undercooked and sausages too were very pink in the middle.

We decided to pay elsewhere for a fry up as we were not impressed with the way it was cooked, cold hard beans and fried bread needed an electric knife to get through, cereal toast and yoghurt are ok though!

Went to hotels entertainment at 9 pm , we were told it was 8 till 11 but were the only ones there and had to pay 6e for 2 coffees- more waiters than customers and if you put your fork down while eating be careful, they will whisk your plate away in a flash.

Overall reception staff very good, we were on top floor and nice view, cleaned every day and large rooms- only BBC world news on tv so don't waste your cash on a remote and check your fridge is open before buying a key-ours was open so we didn't need a key but they are 2e a day to rent plus 5e deposit.

Fools and horses pub was good for evening meals- decent size meals at 6.20e and only 1.50 a pint. We also enjoyed meals at mr cod and steens.

All in all a good holiday and resort and hotel too but just poorly cooked hotel food and entertainment."

• Travel date: Tue 10th of May 2011

greattttttttttttttttttttt

Reviewed Wed 29th of July 2009

"just stayed at the silver sands and wot a great time we had the hotel is right on the beach and center of everything lovly bars and resterants which we did not have to use as food was good we went with our 2 children which was fully entertained by hayley so she made our holiday more relaxing as we did not have to worry about them car.nt wait to go back next year top holiday "

• Travel date: Tue 28th of July 2009

well i have stayed in tsokkos hotels a f...

Reviewed Tue 2nd of September 2008

"well i have stayed in tsokkos hotels a few times this was a lovely hotel but wont stay here again due to its open to the public and at sometimes we had to go to the beach &pay 2euros each for loungers because there was no room for guests non residents &locals used the place ,parked their cars fetched their cooler bags &back gammon sets stayed for the day the pool was taken over by them ,i dont mind people enjoying them selves But we paid £1700 for two wks in the sun yet in the end hated going down to the pool in the morning .Other than that good location plenty of bars & restaurants all 2min walk away . Air con in room very good ,B/B food ample ,rooms kept clean ,fresh towels every day . "

• Travel date: Tue 2nd of September 2008

Perfect location pity about building work

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"Silver sands hotel has the perfect location,right on the beach and close to all bars,shops and restaurants.

The hotel itself is what you would expect from a 3 star hotel clean well kept throughout although in need of redecoration. Rooms are nice apart from lack of drawer space. All hotel staff were friendly and helpful. We stayed half board but didn't get up for breakfast so can't comment on this however evening meal was awful some nights and not bad others never much choice so we ate out 3 times in 2 weeks!

Although we were warned about building work near entrance to hotel what we were not told was that this extended down the side and includes building of 2 hotels and what looks like some more apartment blocks immediately opposite,these are only at foundation stage so I imagine work will be going on for at least another year or so! During our stay work was going on from 7am until about 4pm Monday to Friday and so this woke us up early most mornings as some days especially the first week they were drilling at 7am!!

We did enjoy our holiday but just wish someone would have warned us."

• Travel date: Fri 5th of October 2007

Not bad!

Reviewed Thu 22nd of November 2012

"The hotel was fine and what you would expect for the amount paid. The room had everything that you need and the hotel staff were helpful. One complaint is that there were charges for the safe, the remote control and a key to open the fridge (not its contents) - which we thought were a little excessive. The hotel entertainment wasn't exactly great, but entertaining nonetheless! Currently there is some building work being undertaken next to the hotel, but we were never disturbed by this.
All in all a nice hotel and a good holiday!"

• Travel date: Thu 20th of September 2007

Fantastic Location!

Reviewed Fri 30th of November 2012

"Stayed at the Silver Sands in June 2007 - fantastic location!

Thsi hotel is great value for money for a beachfront hotel. It has everything you expect from a 3*hotel.

Tip - bring a credit sized card with you (library card, supermarket points card, nectar card etc) to put in the air conditioning unit - You can return to a lovely cool room!

It is possible to rent out beach towels, but I only found this out on the last day whilst waiting for my transfer asthe hotel directory was in the lobby and not in my room. Unsure whether it was missing from my bedroom only though - but worth checking out.

Food is ok, breakfast is lovely. Not very much melon though - every hotel in Cyprus seems to offer stacks of melon for every meal except this one. No complaints really though. If you stay for an evening meal there is nothing for vegetarians - so i was a bit disappointed. Luckily we were on B/B anyway so had plenty of choice elsewhere.

Would def return! Atmosphere around the pool is great. The amination team do their very best to get guests involved but are not pushy."

• Travel date: Sun 2nd of September 2007

Will Definatly return!!

Reviewed Thu 8th of November 2012

"This was our first trip to Cyprus and we loved it. We were lucky enought a get a room right at the front of the hotel and i would recommend that you pay a little bit extra to get one as the view is amazing. The hotel is clean, the staff are friendly, the rooms are nice and it has good facilities.

We went on a half board basis which i would NOT recommend! The breakfast was fine, with lots of choice but the evening meal was so bad that i struggled to find something that i liked and we ended up eating out a few nights. (Would recommend the Italian across from the Love Boat bar which is about 3 minutes away ) There was an unusual choice and it looked like the food was left out for a few hours as it was cold and the meat looked old and dry.

I would also recommend the boat trip which goes to Famagusta and Cape Greco. You dont get to see much of Famagusta but for £8 per person it is a really good trip. It lasts for about 3 hours and there is a bar and food on the boat and they stop so you can jump off for a swin in the crystal clear waters at Cape Greco. This boat sets off in front of the Silver Sands hotel so you havent got far to walk.

I would definatly go back to this hotel but would either go self catering or B&B. The resort itself was perfect for us (We are a 21 and 22 year old couple). There was plenty for us to do. It wasnt too quiet or too busy and there were some good bars to go to at night. I would recommend the Love Boat as they have some good entertainment on (Comedy Hypnotist and some really good drag queens) if you are into that kind of thing. Ayia Napa is about 10 -15 minutes away in a taxi for the livlier nights but we didnt fancy that."

• Travel date: Sat 7th of July 2007

Nice, shame about the reps!!!

Reviewed Fri 30th of November 2012

"This was the second time I have been to this hotel. We first went in September 2003 and absolutely loved it, thus why we went again. This time, however, was for our honeymoon. The hotel was exactly as I remember it, although it was looking a little tired this time.

The rooms are nice enough. They have everything you need and our balcony had such a great view. The hotel is also in a fantastic location, by all the bars, but not near the really noisy ones like the Ghetto Bar.

We did really enjoy ourselves once again but the entertainment reps drove me absolutely crazy!!!!

All we wanted to do is chill out by the pool. We weren't interested in doing any of the activities going on but the rep would not leave us alone! She was so gobby it drove us mad!!! It also made the hotel feel as though you were at Butlins. The reps really cheapened this hotel. There was one in particular. She would come round trying to get you to play water volleyball or killer darts, or killer pool or water areobics but if you said no, she got the right hump and would call you boring (or insult you some other way )! She did really get on our nerves. I actually thought my husband was going to get into a full scale row with her at some points.

Also, the music that they played by the pool was terrible. The rep would say things like "This is my CD. Aw, what a tune. If you don't like it, tough!". Hardly the attitude a rep should have considering we are paying to stay at this hotel and she is supposed to entertain us. She would play caberet music and 60s. Sorry, but we are only 25 and we certainly don't want to listen to that rubbish! The activities were just repeated every single day. You would have aqua areobics at 10.30am and then at 11am till 12pm you would have water volleyball, then at 12 til 1pm you would have killer pool then they go for lunch and come back at 2pm at which time you have killer darts, then from 3-4pm you have kids club and then they bugger off for a while so you can have peace and then they generally started up again at about 8.45pm doing singing shows. That wouldn't bother me if they didn't sing the same songs every single time! We were only there for 2 weeks yet I heard them doing the same singing show about 4 or 5 times!

The reps in my opinion were awful. They cheapened the whole place. If you wanted some loud mouth singing and shouting all day, you could go to Butlins! But apart from this, I did really enjoy the holiday.

The beach is fantastic, it has watersports and bars nearby. I would recommend this area but I would not stay in this hotel again! Last time we went (although it was 4 years ago), they didn't have any day time entertainment which suited me down to the ground.

The staff at the hotel this time seemed much better. Last time, they did seem quite miserable whereas this time, they couldn't do enough for you, especially those at the pool bar. They are very friendly and down to earth.

The other problem with Protaras (probably the same with the whole island) is that it is so expensive. For 2 large glasses of coke, it cost £4.90 in Cypriot pounds so that is probably about £5.50 which is a complete rip off. Also the food at this hotel is apauling to say the least. Their menu has lack of stuff on it and what is on it is awful. So do not go half board here, it's a waste of money. Half the time, we would just go out anyway even though we were half board. The amount of times my husband would say he felt sick after eating there.

We was going to stay in the Sunrise Beach Hotel which is 2 hotels up and I think is a 5 star hotel whereas Silvers Sand is only 3 star but to stay there, it was an extra £400 for the pair of us and this was only on a bed and breakfast basis. And from looking at their website, the hotel rooms looked exactly the same as the Silver Sands, it's just that they had more facilities and a better pool, but I don't really use hotel factilities as we like to go out. And I don't need a hairdresser or beautician when I'm on holiday. That's surely the one time you can really let yourself go!

All in all, I would definitely recommend this hotel if they got rid of the rep (Amy)!"

• Travel date: Mon 2nd of July 2007

Beware of room thefts in Silver Sands beach hotel!!

Reviewed Thu 8th of November 2012

"The hotel's ok, but beware of room thefts and rent a room safe as soon as you arrive!!!
On the second day of my stay in Silver Sands I realised that the little jewellery (luckily no diamonds :) I'd brought with me was missing :( I immediately reported this to the reception people, who promised to conduct a search and interview the chambermades who cleaned my room on the day when the theft occured.
The hotel manager insisted that his staff is absolutely honest and there's no point in calling the police since I couldn't provide any proof of bringing the jewellery into the country."

• Travel date: Thu 28th of June 2007

great

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"We had a lovely time at the silversands hotel. The rooms are cleaned everyday with clean towels if needed. Breakfast is well presented with full cooked breakfast and cerials etc. Resort is fab for all ages and is very flat and easy to get around. The only thing we didnt get was that at weekends all the locals would park all over the place and use the hotel pool and bar and sun beds we did mention this to hotel staff but not sure what would be done about it alot of other people did say something toobut its only 2 days of the week and its not that bad just a bit busier than normal for that hotel. Apart from that there was nothing bad about this hotel the staff are good and theres plently of day and evening entertainment. the hotel is very clean and no cockroaches which was great."

• Travel date: Mon 25th of June 2007

Fabulous

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"We have just returned from Cyprus, we stayed at the Silver Sands Hotel in Protaras. I could not fault a thing, the hotel room, the Hotel, the staff, the food, the location and to top all that, the weather was fantastic!!
I would recommend this Hotel to everyone.
We stayed bed and breakfast as we like to try different places.
The youngsters that work in the Hotel and in the pubs around that location work so hard and the locals are so friendly.
This was our first visit to Cyprus and we will without doubt return.

Lynn and Pete Barlow
Coventry
Warwickshire"

• Travel date: Sun 30th of July 2006

This was the second time I have been to...

Reviewed Sat 21st of January 2006

"This was the second time I have been to Cyprus but only the first time I had stayed in the Silver Sands Hotel. It is a really clean hotel that is situated very central in the main part of Protaras. This makes it easy to access all the lovely restaurants and bars and as the hotel is located on the beach you don’t have to walk far in the hot sun to get to your little piece of paradise!

Our room in the hotel had the most glorious view of the beach and although the balcony wasn’t huge it was big enough for the two of us. Generally our room was clean and well present with good air conditioning that we didn’t need to pay extra for. Towels and linen were changed frequently and were always clean and fresh.
As we were half board we didn’t have a kitchen but a small fridge could be hired for approx CYP1 per night.

The hotel has adequate facilities...a decent sized pool, pool bar, car park, basic gym, restaurant, reception bar and lounge with TV etc. The reception is open all hours so that’s brilliant and the staff all seemed very friendly and helpful.

As I mentioned we stayed on a half board basis, however we had always planned on eating out but as this hotel was cheaper than some self catering ones we decided to stay here. We did try the breakfast twice, which was your average buffet style with plenty of choice. We tried the dinner once but were not impressed. Being a plain eater myself I feel there was not enough choice. The night we dined there it was soup for starters and for main it was chicken nuggets, pasta or meat and vegetables. I imagine if you have children you may be struggling. Drinks seemed expensive at dinner too but in the day they are cheaper!

The resort of Protaras is so lovely that I have made it my number one European destination! It is mostly families and couples that go there, as groups of friends tend to choose Ayia Napa, which is ten minutes, taxi drive away. The beaches are beautiful with warm shallow waters and plenty of water sports and boat trips. The resort itself is based along one main road that uses a one way traffic system. It is lined with many bars restaurants and shops all offering something for everyone.

Daytime activities include shopping for souvenirs, lazing on the beach or at your hotel pool, day trips, water sports, light lunch or ice cream etc. Nighttime activities tend to include going out for a meal followed by drinks or cocktails in one of the bars or one of the two discos. Nightlife is just perfect, lively enough to enjoy yourself but not outrageous and hardly any of those people trying to drag you into places. All places welcome children and you can relax without worrying about drunken people falling all over the streets because that rarely happens here. There is a nice safe feeling in this resort.

Prices in the restaurants don’t vary too much most are reasonable. Try Promises or Oscars. Also ripples cocktail bar.

Mini supermarket prices can vary so shop around before you buy. Also if you’re planning any trips out book them at the agents rather than with your rep, they are much cheaper. Try the Troodos Mountain Jeep Safari for the day its great fun with lots of information about the island and you can see the real Cyprus too. Not for the faint hearted, if you don’t like heights like myself it will scare you silly! Don’t be put off though you’ll be glad you went.

Overall Protaras is very nice with enough to do for all members of your party, and it is a brilliant base for exploring the surrounding areas such as Pernera (the smaller resort in Protaras), Ayia Napa, Larnaca, Famagusta and much more. I would be surprised if someone failed to enjoy this resort.

Please be reminded that my report is based on the main area of Protaras and not Pernera - Pernera is about a 30 minute walk away from the main part. Hope this has been helpful.

• Travel date: Sat 21st of January 2006

Hotels near Silver Sands Beach Hotel

Top traveller tips for Silver Sands Beach Hotel

• fallan by fallan

"we ad no need to go out of hotel "

Silver Sands Beach Hotel is also called