Pernera Beach Hotel

Ifaistou 17, Protaras, Paralimni 5310 Cyprus

Good

Very pleasant hotel in a good location

"We booked a week at the Pernera Beach Hotel to get some decent r&r. It was a great choice. The staff are fabulous, the hotel very clean and we even stayed for the evening meal on a couple of occasions and couldn't fault the food. Ok, as ever, it does get a tad monotonous after a few visits but is fresh, with a wide selection of fruit and local dishes - can't ask for more really. Even though it was half term when we visited, the hotel pleasantly buzzed but no crowds of screaming kids or teenagers! The surrounding alternative hotels are a walk from the beach - and unfortunately the bars very 'english' and corny. That said there are wonderful beaches and traditional bars and restaurants within easy driving/taxi distance. All in all, I had a great holiday and will definitely return to the Pernera Beach Hotel."

• Travel date: Tue 19th of June 2007

Loved the Pernera Beach Hotel

"We returned from the Pernera Beach yesterday after a fantastic relaxing week in the glorious sunshine. The Hotel was immaculate and the staff were incredibly friendly + helpful. We were half board and the variety of food available for breakfast and evening meals was exceptional. The hotel is well organised and on the beach front, there is an animation team to keep you entertained if you wish and plenty to do. The evening entertainment was not up to much - the usual 'Magic Shows' and 'Bingo' but everything else was first class. It's about a half hour walk into Protaras [Fig Tree Bay] and about £8CP for a taxi to Ayia Napa. Well worth a visit, and we'll be heading back there soon - hopefully!!"

• Travel date: Wed 9th of May 2007

noisy

"rooms . small clean very noisy
food . luke warm no catering for children edible at best
reception. saving grace of hotel very good staff
pool area . small noisy dirty sunbeds ( snails)
location . car essential hotel in pernera 2miles from protaris
overall hotel needs refurbished (our sink was leaking)workmen started hammering 0730 and kept on till 1700 iwould not recommend this hotel to older couples who want peace and relaxation."

• Travel date: Fri 27th of April 2007

nice hotel!

Good

"i stayed at this hotel nearly 4 years ago. my mum booked it through portland direct.
we went there during may half term and it was my 14 birthday while we were there.
the staff were wonderful they made me a cake free of charge and even put special candles on it. they brought it out to me when we were eating tea.
the restaurant looking over the sea was lovely, but in may it was a little cold during the evenings but bearable. the weather was great, breezy but warm.
there is a little sandy beach to the side of the hotel, the water is lovely.
rooms were cleaned daily and the hotel was spotless throughout.
when we arrived it was late at night and after driving past some of the other hotels we were quite relieved to be where we were. the reception area was very light cosy and cool.
evening entertainment wasnt fantastic, it may have changed now but it wasnt much in the way of entertaining for teenagers. entertainment during the day was great.

take a good look around the hotel..i didnt know it had an indoor pool untill half way through my holiday.
the only thing which i was disappointed about was the hotels location.there are afew bars and restaurants just outside the hotel and about a 10minute taxi drive you get to protaras resort centre.
its fantastic and the beaches are beautiful!i wish we had been abit closer.
we went on the catermeran for a day the trip was brilliant, the food was lovely and you could go into the sea with snorkels and kiyaks.
overall a very enjoyable holiday..even the food was great!"

• Travel date: Mon 26th of March 2007

Great Family Run Hotel

Good

"Great Location very relaxing and quiet area. The hotel was very clean and friendly. All the staff were very helpful, Entertainment most nights. Plenty of space to rest and sun chairs to go around.
The grounds were kept clean and tidy. Food was excellant good variety buffet style. Swimming pool was a good size and well laid out. Would recommend to anyone. will be going back this year 2007.
Jim and Christine from Dagenham Essex."

• Travel date: Thu 15th of March 2007

PERNERA BEACH:EVERYTHING WE NEEDED!

Good

"me and my boyfriend stayed here in august 2006 for 2 weeks and it is the best holiday we have ever had (between us we have been on about 18 holidays)! We stayed here because my dad was gettin married at the Golden Cost Hotel in Pernera. We actually didn't choose this hotel ourselves as we left it to my now step-mom to sort out. Our arrival is a bit of a blur to me as it was about 4 o'clock in the morning! But all the staff were incredibly hepful and friendly, and lots of them were actually english women who had emigrated over to Cyprus.

I have read some bad things about the food and all I can say is, although I am not a fussy eater I found the food excellent value...so much choice! Every night they put on a pasta dish and salad bar in addition to the 'themed' food for the night. Don't miss the Cretian night where you get to sample local dishes (try Stifado...heven!). As well as this there is always chips and various potatos and fish and joints of meat...so I don't really see how anyone can complain! And this is comming from someone who is a complete foodie...I live for food and this impressed me!

The hotel is positioned in such a way that you have the choice between the pool or the beach, which is like 2 minutes down a little path at the bottom of the hotel...and it's a lovely beach! We alternated between the beach and the pool each day. The snacks at the hotel are lovely but you can get better value in town.

I cant comment on the entertainment as we went to town every night or Aiya Napa, but i understand from other guests that the entertainment was ok.

Overall we loved Cyprus and are planning on returning next year, we probably wont go to the Pernera Beach hotel again, only because we have a 'rule' about visiting the same place twice...we like to explore new places!"

• Travel date: Mon 8th of January 2007

Fabulous relaxing holiday...

Good

"Just booked up again for two weeks in May 07 having just returned from a super 7 nights stay at the lovely Pernera Beach Hotel, Cyprus. Excellent location, right on a lovely sandy beach which stretches around the bay. Beaches are very safe and inviting, and not crowded as the Pernera is situated in a quieter part of Protaras. I cannot fault the hotel - it was spotless, well organised and the food is great if you like home cooked dinners (ie plenty of differents meats, vegetables, salads, soups, ice creams, pastries, cakes etc). The lamb dishes were particularly good. We stayed on a half board basis - I can't imagine where you would put the food if you are full board because the choice is vast and plentiful. Breakfasts - there is nothing missing or that you might want that isn't there. All nationalities are catered for, from full english breakfasts, fruit, omlettes, pastries, breads, and a wide range of continental style fayre. There is also a good range of hot and cold beverages. You can do as much or as little as you like at this hotel. The animation team are excellent -great shows during the evenings, and they work hard during the day organising the various activities. I even tried my hand at archery and french boules while I was there. Lovely pool and pool area - plenty of sun beds and not one crack-of-dawn sun-bed hogger in sight. We stayed in a twin room with full sea view - wonderful, and well worth the extra cost for the privilege. At a small price we also had tea and coffee making facilities in our room and a fridge, as well as a safe. There was also satallite TV and a good hairdryer supplied at no extra cost. There's plenty to do in Cyprus, and the Pernera Beach Hotel is the perfect place from which to explore, or just relax and chill out in a beautiful location. I met plenty of return visitors while there, and I can't wait to go back in May 07."

• Travel date: Sun 8th of October 2006

Great hotel

Good

"We stayed at the Pernera Beach in August 2006 and thought it was lovely. It was quite busy as it was peak season. There were a lot of Eastern European tourists as well as British which was nice as we were all catered for language, food and entertainment wise. The hotel also kept a close watch on sun bed reserving (with towels!) as this was not allowed!

We would definitely stay here again and would visit Cyprus again.

Staff

Bar service was usually a bit slow as the staff were so busy but they were mostly friendly and polite. The reception staff were friendly and helpful. There was a cashier on reception also for changing traveller’s cheques but we found the exchange rate was better down the road at one of the shops or at the Hellenic bank.

Food

We are not fussy eaters and found the choice was excellent. You could eat as much as you like from the buffet selection. We stayed Half Board which included breakfast and evening meal.

Breakfast (served until 10am) included everything from a cooked buffet breakfast, cereal, pastries, fruit (this was usually almost gone by the time we got up as we are late risers!!!) and lots more.
The evening meal was also buffet style with a huge selection! Spoiled for choice every night. There was a cold starter selection including salads, breads etc, lots of different meats and vegetable dishes on the hot buffet and a lot of tasty deserts. There was also a little separate selection of kids’ meals. There was a different theme (e.g. Italian, BBQ, Greek etc) every night but there was always a huge selection and plenty for everybody!

We ate out of the hotel a few times and found the Blue taverna next door to do a great meze, the Italian Restaurant Il Cavaliere was also excellent and the Mexican and tapas nearby were good too.

Rooms

Spacious and clean. Television, Air conditioning, Balcony and ensuite.
The only thing that was a slight pain was the electricity only worked if you put your key tab into the slot by the door. This meant that if you went out for the day the air con didn’t work! (The key tab was not removable unfortunately!!)

Rooms were cleaned daily with clean towels supplied every other day and bedding changed twice a week. There is no maid service on Sundays. You could also hire a fridge for a nightly charge and there is a laundry service.

Location

Excellent Set on a lovely small bay with plenty of sun beds (at a charge). The pool area did tend to get very busy and you have to be up early if you want one of the sun beds by the pool. There are a lot more sun beds in the garden area over looking the sea. It’s also worth noting that at the bottom of this garden area is a cluster of rocks with a small concrete ramp down into the crystal clear sea. On our last night we took a bottle of champagne and watched the sunset here it was so romantic!

Entertainment

Nightly entertainment at the hotel was ok. Usually a cabaret duo or similar followed by the “Animation Team” doing a little show. Most nights the kids seemed to be entertained before the main entertainment with the same routine of songs/ dancing in different languages so I suppose a little educational as well! We did not stay at the hotel for the nightly entertainment as we found there to be plenty of bars nearby and in the local resort of Protaras. There were lots of karaoke, cocktail bars and discos also a few mini golf and games areas. There is a Magic Dancing Waters show in Protaras as well which was good but I wouldn’t recommend the food! A little dry and bland and if you ate while the show was on they turn the lights on just for you to select your food! (A taxi into protaras costs CY£3.50 and to Aya Napa CY£9).

Hellenic Voyages

We booked through Hellenic Voyages and were quite worried as we had read bad reports. We actually had a great holiday and would brook through Hellenic again but you must make sure you read all their small print before booking!

We were told that they usually book the inland view rooms at this hotel which when we arrived found to be more of a 3* so we upgraded to a sea view room which was at an extra cost of £4 a room per night. The sea view rooms are definitely more of a 4* and we found the extra cost quite reasonable.

Some how Hellenic had double booked 20 seats on our flight home so we ended up flying home later in the morning at 9.55am (we were due to fly at 2.40am) on a scheduled flight with a change at Amsterdam. This turned out to our favour as not only did we get all drinks and meals included on the flight we had loads of leg room plus a nights sleep before the journey! (This would explain why when we booked a ten night holiday it turned out that we had actually paid for 11 nights in our accommodation!! We didn’t know this until we asked reception for a late checkout!)

Other than this we had no other problem with our holiday or this company. They actually looked after us very well considering their mistake and the Hellenic Voyages Rep Sharon was excellent!!"

• Travel date: Sun 24th of September 2006

Great 3 star hotel

Good

"I booked through Hellenic travel and me and my girlfriend went for 2 weeks from 23rd August - 6th September 2006.
Hellenic were great, no hiccups on transfers etc (though look out for the Hellenic desk on arrival at Larnaca, its on the right just before you go through to the airport main lounge).

The hotel was quite green and well looked after, spacious without being too big and had all the things you expect from a 3 star. We went half-board and myself being a fussy eater I found the food to be average. A good selection with buffet style self-service on a lovely taverna by the cove. I found myself choosing the childs food quite a bit (As was everyone else, especially those who wanted chips!). Some nights were better than others but in general my girlfriend (who isn't a fussy eater) said she wished the salads were not covered in some strange tasting dressing and oil, and the aubergines were always very bitter tasting. Mousaka was not very good either.
They had chicken and pork most nights but always in a special gravy or sauce and I wish they just served the meat with a tub of sauce/gravy at the side to add at your leisure, this would help people like me who don't like some of the sauces etc.
We ate out quite a lot which obviously added to the cost.
In general though, they did a great job and lots of people enjoyed the food so I guess it comes down to what you like.
Deserts were ok. Some nights you got lucky and got chocolate brownies or chocolate cake, cheesecake etc but the number of trifles, jelly etc always outnumbered these so it was luck of the draw. The ice-cream was always available too but tasted quite cheap (no carte-dor obviously!).

Staff were great, maids friendly too. The room was quite small but clean and presentable. Beds were two singles pushed together which I hate but it didnt bother us too much!

Pool was nice but during busier times it would be a pain as it is quite small. We spent most of the time on the grass area in between the beach and the pool so we had the best of both worlds.

Let me clear one little bit up here. We read reviews on here before going to Pernera beach and we expected the hotel to have its own beach and the cove-like beach on the photos we thought was a different beach. To clarify, the cove beach you see on the photos IS pernera beach, The hotels 'private' beach is just down the steps from the taverna and is a collection of about 10 sun loungers on a strip of sand with rocks before you reach the sea. dissapointing i guess but it's literally 20 seconds walk to the main beach which is nice but obviously costs to stay there.
The bay is quite rocky underneath leading into the sea and when you're in the sea its also rocky everywhere (good for snorkelling and looking at fish). There is a small section of the beach where there is a channel in the water with no rocks which is nice to wade out into if your feet cant stand the rocks!
Sea is lovely and warm, clear and clean too once you geta few feet in.
Most reps advise agaisnt the watersports but the ones here were friendly and seemed fairly professional. We did jetski (I controled while girlfriend rode pillion holding onto me). It was my first time on a jetski so was tentative at first but soon got in the swing of it with my girlfriend shouting 'Faster!' madly in my ear!
We did the 'Flyfish' too which was ace (hold on tight!!) and the smallest 'O'Brien' ring, which was .....exhilarating to say the least My arms were like jelly after it from holding on so tight and my bum was a bit sore from hittting all the waves but it was a laugh.
Just make sure you follow the rules and be safe on them as there are rumours of accidents all the time with people hurting themselves and breaking backs or whatever!! we saw none of that while we were there.

The biggest gripe with Cyprus in general is the cost. remember that you get roughly 80p for every £1 english money you exchange and things are just as expensive as back home and indeed more expensive in some cases, and when you consider the money you lose in the exchange then you can imagine its quite expensive.
If you withdraw £100 Cypriat pounds, then remember your english bank statement will show £123 withdrawn. If you withdraw £50 Cypriat, it's £61 english. So you can imagine it gets expensive.

Restaurants we recommend:
1. Sizzlers. EXCELLENT steaks and chicken dishes. Everyone loved it. Professional FRIENDLy service too. Can't say enough good things about this place. Example meal: Fillet steak with chips + Chicken sizzler (girlfriend loved this special) and salad, large bottle of water + 2 deserts was £29 (so around £35 engish). Not cheap but not too expensive and definitely worth it!

2. il Cavaliere Italian restaurant. Lovely meals, great friendly service and the best proffiteroles in the world (mmmm). meal for two with deserts and drinks, around £15 (good if your on a budget). Girlfriend says pizzas were excellent.

3 Bennigans. Irish/American restaurant. Ok, try the 'Big Irish' burger to fill you up! It's MASSIVE (just like the pic) and we felt sick for says LOL. just the sheer amount is amazing. The deserts are excellent too. Death by Chocolate was amazing and huuuuuge!. Price was around £23 for two meals with drinks and desserts.

To conclude, we wouldnt change anything as the memories we made were brilliant, though if we were to go again we may go to nearby Protaras in a 4 - 5 star hotel and go all inclusive. Its worth it in Cyprus as its very expensive eating out and the drinks are very expensive too. Protaras is a bit more lively than Pernera too with more choice.

Oh, Go to the waterpark in Aya Napa too. We went for the day and it was brilliant. I'm scared to death of heights and some of the towers you climb are daunting but I went up them several times and was fine. I was WAY more scared of getting up to the ride than I was going down them, but some of them really are cool.

I could go on forever but basically if you've booked this hotel then I doubt you'll be dissapointed unless A> you're on a tight budget or B> you're used to 4 or 5 star accomadation.

I'm back in work now and gutted. Wish I was still there!
If you are going soon let me just say a few words which will mean a LOT when you come back and remember this review:
"Professional!!...Eeevvverybodyyyy Professional!!........."

No I'm not mad, just check out the animation team and keep your ears open for the italian bloke.. haha

Enjoy"

• Travel date: Sun 10th of September 2006

Great Hotel

"Just returned from Pernera Beach 24/06/06 and my partner and I would definately say we had a good time. I only booked this hotel after I read some of the reviews on TRIPADVISOR, actually any holidays I book I allways check this site.

Pernera Beach is a nice hotel I would give it 3 star*** however it could do with some modernisation only to bring it into 2006. The hotel staff were allways very friendly and polite, and would help you to the best of their ability. Waiters (very good service) especially (The Head Waiter...sorry didn't get his name).

One thing I am very fussy about is cleanliness and I would not fault that at all at Pernera, our room was kept very clean and tidy and allways smelt lovely and clean. Rooms are basic but how much time do you really spend in them ?? We had a fridge in our room which I guess was included in our price, because we didn't pay the hotel for it. Having spoken to some of the guests they had to hire theirs but they are a must...especially for water oh and my lipstick :-)

The animation team are great, Christian managed to keep my partner out of my hair for days..lol with the football, vollyeball, archery...oh yes and I mustn't forget the cocktail game, or the dancing competition (which we actually won and I still have the disco injury to prove it).

The hotel and restaurant overlooked the sea and I must say that we both enjoyed the food, we were booked on a half board basis but chose some nights to eat in the restaurants just outside of the complex. My best meal was on our last day in the Pernera Beach restaurant, Sea Bream and Seabass, with taramasalata, tzatziki and humous to start,
then a huge greek salad, with jacket potato....and thanks again to the smiley head waiter for serving us as we overlooked the beautiful bay in front of us. Yes we would go back we had a pleasant holiday...thanks again to Christian and Nicole also Graham (new rep) hope you have perfected your Grease performance :-) hope to see you all again one day from Donna & Dave (Zola) x"

• Travel date: Wed 5th of July 2006

good value for money

Good

"just returned from two weeks at this hotel. complete hotel just been refurbished . Rooms are spacious and very clean, maids do an excellent job. hotel is very clean spacious and welcoming. Entertainment staff work very hard and put on some good shows.Bar staff very helpful never had to wait to long to get served.Plenty of sunbeds but could do with a few more mobile umbrellas.Location excellent in a quiet spot next to beach.Breakfast selection excellent,lunch and dinner plenty of choice but does get a bit repetetive . My only advice is to tell chef how to cook potatoes as they were always hard.Good bus service into Protaras only 1 euro or you can walk along the good boardwalk to Protaras (about half an hour ). Would definateley return."

• Travel date: Sun 15th of July 2012

good family hotel

Good

"iv just come back from pernera beach, we stayed for 10 nights there was me an my husband and our 4 kids, hotel is very clean, and in a good, bit quiter location with a small beach right by the hotel. . u can walk or bus into centre protaras it abt 20 min walk. . an bus or cab to ayia napa. . over all the hotel is lovely and plentey to do if you want. . my kids loved it. . food can get bit boreing but what do u expect. . so we eat out a few nights, and dinner dont open till 7pm which i thought woz a bit late if you have small children. . . well worth going to nissi beach we did, we got the bus ther and it is beautifull well worth going for the day. . i would recommend this hotel and would go back. . good value for money i think. . hope this helps . . . . "

• Travel date: Fri 2nd of July 2010

Hotels near Pernera Beach Hotel

Stayed at Pernera Beach Hotel? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Pernera Beach Hotel

• holly x by holly x

"places to go: water park, paphos, TROODOS MOUNTAINS "

• jackorox by jackorox

"knights a great bar, also kokos "

• wilko22 by wilko22

"Well worth the visit and will definately go back there "

• princessJolo by princessJolo

"very nice place... you need to go to ayia napia "

• princessJolo by princessJolo

"the waterpark is the best "

• RachelSunshine by RachelSunshine

"Loved it, and will definately go back! "

• RachelSunshine by RachelSunshine

"Watersports and Scuba Diving! "

• Lou. H by Lou. H

"Must try the open top red bus and the yellow boat trip. "

• jojo-tearack by jojo-tearack

"great for familys, and all ages we def go back "

Pernera Beach Hotel is also called