Papantonia Hotel Apartments

23, Athinas Street Pernera, Paralimni, Protaras, Paralimni 5296 Cyprus

Great holiday

Good

"We went to papantonia in may of this year, for 2 weeks. We have rain for the first 2 days, which was a let down but then its was clear blue skys and very hot for the remainer of our stay. The hotel is basic but of a good standard and to be honest its all you need. The hotel staff are very very friendly. The reps are lovelly, kelli tammy steven and there is one more but i cant remember her name. They make your evening, they are up for a laugh and try there very best. Some people on thier reviews have said the enterainment is rubbish but its what you make it. Tammy is a fantasic singer. We went all inclusive and the food was to a good standard. You can choose from 2 or 3 meats a fish dish or vegetrian every night. We enjoyed what we had every night but some were moaning but its each to thier own. Not everyone likes the same food. I took 5 kids with me and they loved the food. The snack bar was great . The kids loved the pizzas and ham & cheese toasties. Im glad we went early may cos it was nice and quiet, always sunbeds available and no crowds around the pool. I would definatley go back to papantonia. well worth the money. The station pub is just round the corner from the hotel and its great in there. we went there eveynight after the papantonia bar stop its all inclusive drinks (which is 12.00am) The entertainment is good and the staff are very friendly. There stay open till very early hours. they have 2 pool table and kids games so the kids love it. i would definalty recommend this holiday."

• Travel date: Fri 22nd of June 2007

Papantonia Was Great

Good

"Well we went to the Papantonia for May half term for 1 week.
The hotel was basic but good enough. We had a 1 bedroom and we went self catering. The apartment was fine,kitchen was very basic,kettle,toaster and 2 rings but we ate out every night which is what we intended to do anyway. The rooms were cleaned mmost days,new towels and bedding etc.
Swimming pools were lovely no problems with ear infections whilst we were there.
Fig tree bay is a good 30 min walk away along the beach path,but there is a beach closer.
There were no problems with the lifts breaking down.
I can't comment on the food as we didn't eat there.
It is in a nice area, a bit of a walk into the main area of Protaras which took about 20 mins but it was nicer to be a bit off the beaten track.
The corridor carpets were a bit bleached like someone else said but does that really matter,you are only walking on them to get to your room! At the end of the day you get what you pay for, this is a good basic hotel,if you want luxury then this is not the place to go."

• Travel date: Tue 12th of June 2007

Nice Hotel - BUT

"My wife myself and our 4 children (aged 15, 13, 11, & 7) stayed at Papantonia for 2 weeks this April (2007). Although the Hotel was well kept both inside and out and was very clean, the food was dissapointing as it was rarely hot, comments were made to several members of staff and for the last couple of days the food did improve. The entertainment provided by First Choice was also poor but we put this down to the fact that it was early season and there were not a lot of people staying in the hotel. This said all the Hotel Staff were excellent and looked after us well. We would consider staying here again but maybe on a self catering board basis.
Richard Kirk"

• Travel date: Mon 30th of April 2007

Basic but ok

"We were three girls going away for a nice break away. We found the hotel staff friendly and always happy to help. We arrived in the early hours of the Morning, and the hotel staff promptly checked us in without any fuss and have us the keys to our room.

The room was very basic, as mentioned in other reviews; I didn’t like the carpets in the bedroom - as they were dirty and full on stains. Also the air con is only in the bedroom and it was not very good. The weather was very humid at nights and the air con did little to help. The cooking facilities are there but it does take forever for the hob to start working. But once it does its ok.

Pool was good, we spent allot of time just sun bathing and relaxing. The hotel is really geared towards older people and families.

Overall the holiday was OK for the price we paid, I would recommend this holiday to families,"

• Travel date: Wed 27th of September 2006

Basic but very good for young kids

Good

"This was our second visit to Protarus in the last four years. We had previously stayed in the Golden Coast Hotel, but decided that it was too expensive this time.
I had read some damning reports about the hotel before we arrived (2 adults, 2 small children), so I wasn't expecting much. I was pleasantly surprised by the warm welcome from staff - okay the carpets are dirty, but who really cares! Our one bedroom accommodation was fine although air conditioning was only apparent in the bedroom and so those who slept in the lounge area suffered a bit. There are v. basic cooking facilities, i.e. two electric rings - and that's it - no microwave, so be prepared if you have very small kids. The rooms are cleaned by very friendly cleaning ladies nearly everyday. If you try to speak a bit of greek, it is very much appreciated.
We decided to go half board when we arrived and they had a very good offer to convert from self catering. The food was very good and everything was always spotless. I would have preferred to see some more greek cooking on the menu as most evenings my children insisted on chips, nuggets etc etc. The staff were always courteous.
I found the entertainment end of things a bit intrusive, the pool was very loud between 10am and 4pm with competitions and games etc and if you weren't into that...well tough! And we weren't!
The whole reason we booked this hotel was because of the Kids Club. It is extremely well run, the girls Sarah, Susie and Zara are saints and very patient. I would have preferred a set time for the kids to go to the club everyday as somedays we really didn't get a rest from them, but all in all, if your kids are happy, you will be happy!
The minidisco each night and the entertainment was the usual, which became a bit jaded after a while.
I would advise people to leave the pool area and find the beach, do a catamaran trip (best experience of the holiday), visit the waterpark in Agia Napa, hire a car for a week for your sanity and enjoy the very hot weather.
Finally, be prepared for a stampede in Larnaca Airport on your way home - it's a joke!"

• Travel date: Tue 29th of August 2006

we all had a fantastic time

"We all stayed at the Papantonia apartments at the begnning of july. Its probably been one of the best holidays we have been on. The kids had an excellent time, entertained day and night.
There were a few problems like poo smeared round the toilets by one of the british children and i know they were british because there were only british people staying here!!! The manager put on her rubber gloves and cleared it up.
We stayed all inclusive and was definitley worth our while as cyprus is very expensive especially when there were 7 of us 3 were children age 12, 4 and 16 months.
the food was very good something for every one, even the snacks nobody would starve. I came home weighing a stone heavier.
We would definitley return to the papantonia.The only let down were the odd british family but your bound to get some of these where ever you go!"

• Travel date: Sun 6th of August 2006

Not my cup of tea

"My family and I have just returned from a two week stay at the Papantonia Hotel in Cyprus staying on a half board basis.

The holiday booked through First Choice was quite expensive. The hotel was advertised as a 3 star. Sadly this is not the case, the Papantonia would be lucky to get a 2 star rating in England or Spain (this is not just my opinion but that of one of the Reps working there).

The hotel is very small with facilities such as internet access (breaks down every other day), four swimming pools (five people came down with ear infections whilst we were visiting, caused assumingly by the pools. The pools also change your swimsuits green), lifts that cover all floors (breaks down every day with people inside them).

The rooms are basic and not much to write home about, they are clean and are kept clean however the overall appearance of the hotel and rooms is shabby - with graffiti in the lifts and stairwells, mismatched tiles in the bathrooms (ladies don’t attempt to shave your legs in the bath you may cut yourself as there is only one strip light above the mirror) bleach and other stains on the hall and bedroom carpets, badly scratched plastic covered balconies, with views at the front of the hotel of a car park, waste land and the back of the station pub that plays loud music all night that will keep the little ones awake. The Papantonia has basement toilets for guests to use when they are using the outside facilities, be warned it smells really bad so breath through your mouth if you use these toilets and showers. The smell is that bad it lingers in the lifts if they have been down to the basement and creeps up the stairs.

One other major disappointment was the food for the children. If your child is a fussy eater and does not like chips and beans don’t bother going half board because every night for two weeks this is what was available on the children's buffet.

The area is not bad but don't let the adverts fool you, it is a fair walk into town but if you take the beach path it is very scenic with rock pools and a few cafes etc to have a drink on your trek.

Protaras is a lovely area but like everywhere has been swamped by gift shops and bars. Look out of the Sherwood Forest Bar, good, friendly service and good nights out with excellent music.

The Kids Club Reps and entertainment Reps are very good and have a very good rapport with the children, however the team leader for the entertainment Reps can be reluctant to act upon guests suggestions. The Wave Length Rep called Ross aka Rooney is an absolute diamond, he is fantastic with both kids and adults alike!

The mainline Reps are not that helpful they will listen to your concerns but don't expect them to do anything about them and be careful with booking excursions they have been known to take your money and forget to book, this has happened on more than one occasion and believe me its no fun when you have got up at 6am to go an a trip for the day and be left standing outside the hotel waiting for hours for nothing.

To conclude the hotel is very basic more like a poor 2 star, the food is okay but its not going to blow your mind and there is absolutely no food for the little ones. If your like me and like a very nice hotel with good food - a place to relax and get away from the 9-5 life don't got to the Papantonia but if you like a holiday just sat at the side of the pool with loads of so-so food and all the beer you can drink an all inclusive break at the Papantonia is ideal."

• Travel date: Wed 26th of July 2006

You canno fault the Papantonia

"I have just returned from a weeks stay at the Papantonia with my husband and 2 children (aged 9 & 6). We stayed on the All Inclusive rate and boy was it worth it! With 2 hungry ones to feed, and a husband who enjoys his beer it was worth the extra £££. If you hadn't booked AI with your agent you can *upgrade* when you arrive for a few CYP a day.

The hotel at first is nothing to look at. Don't get me wrong it's clean and tidy but they have carpet in the halls and in the bedrooms - why? Anyhow it kept the noise levels down when for new arrivals and departures. The reception was always clean as was the lobby and arcade area.

The rooms were cleaned on a daily basis, towels changed daily, bed linen twice weekly. The staff are always smiley and friendly and always happy to help. The food was OK. Don't expect Michelin star but decent meals are served 3 times a day buffet style. Between the 4 of us (2 of them fussy eaters) we always enjoyed every meal. They even have a kids buffet if you like that kind of chicken nugget/burger thing.

The kids clubs were ace! Again the staff were friendly and happy and the security was ideal. The kids always came back happy and full of beans. In the evenings the entertainement was as to be expected in a hotel / holiday like this. Kids disco, bingo then slight adult entertainment - very funny! The bar was always buzzing from 8pm - midnight!

Apparently the Papantonia has the best pool area in Protaras and I can understand why. 2 pools, 2 baby pools, not busy at this time of year so my youngest was able to snorkle until her heart was content. Plenty of sunbeds for all and umbrellas to.

A thoroughly great holiday enjoyed by all. The kids would love to go back but we're off to explore more of Cyprus!"

• Travel date: Fri 26th of May 2006

reasonable hotel in a good area

Good

"my husband and I have just returned from a weeks holiday in this hotel. We took a late deal with first choice holidays, stayed self catering. Our apartment was on the 3rd floor. All the corridors are carpeted so no noise from dragging cases from night time arrivals. We were pleasantly surprised at the apartment, it had a lounge/small kitchen area, small bathroom, double bedroom and a small balcony. It was extremely clean and perfectely adequate. One good point is that it had a toaster!! There is air conditioning(free of charge) but only in the bedroom and very noisy, take some ear plugs. The apartment was cleaned every day by some very efficient cleaners. The pool area is great with loads of sun beds. We were told by all inclusive guests that the food was a bit hit and miss but can't verify this. Bar service was a bit slow, sometimes only 1 person working. Local spirits not too good and soft drinks cheap and not very nice.
Entertainment was very poor, go out!! Staff mainly Polish and most cannot speak a word of english, not particurlary friendly either.
The location and area is very good, very close to a couple of good bays, a short walk along the coast to Protaras, a bit dodgy at night though!
I would stay in this area (Pernera) again and at this hotel,but only on a self catering basis. Another good point is that if you are eating out you will not be disappointed, we had loads of good food, very cheap and plentiful. Entertainment around is mostly tribute artists most of which are not very good. If you see "Simon" advertised outside a bar, usually Knights in Pernera or Fools and Horses, go and see him, he was the best act we saw in the resort, in fact the only one we actually made a point is seeing twice."

• Travel date: Thu 22nd of September 2005

Practical

"My wife, daughter (26), and I stayed at this accomodation for two weeks in 2004, we have stayed in this area for 5 years.

The accomodation is first class, cleaned daily, has great facilities for children and is less than 150 metres from the local beach.

The rooms are good with FREE air conditioning, TV, carpetted, as is the corridor and has average kitchen utensils, a good bathroom and a small balcony.

The swimming pools have life-guards, there is entertainment for the kids and a large area where guests can sunbathe.

Guests can upgrade, there are internet facilities, a little expensive and could do with a few extra terminals.

The staff are efficient, reasonably friendly, the cleaners superb and the hotel is right next to a supermarket, (2), there are good restaurants in the village and Protaras is a £5 cab drive away.

You can get a car cheaper in the village than any deal on the internet, I saved £200 for the fortnight, okay the cars have done 60,000 miles but they are only 2 years old and good enough for holiday driving.

Also change your money at these car hire shops, the rate is better in June than in the heavy season July August.

I would stay at this hotel again, it is comfortable, secure and in a good area, ie not noisy at night, have a good time.

Dave"

• Travel date: Wed 31st of August 2005

Big Johns fortnight away on a cheapie

Good

"Wanted a cheap holiday in May - usually stay in the Vrissiana, Protarus in August / September[double the cost of this Hotel]. My wife and I were surprised at the value for money at this Hotel/apartments. Food was very good, plenty of it and they did their best to mix it during our stay.
The staff were all courteous and polite and nothing was too much trouble. Swimming pools were clean and spotted the pool maintenance team cleaning the pool and taking water samples daily.
The entertainment lad James worked very hard to give the diverse customers as best as possible.We are in our 60s and up until 09.30 in the evening it was mainly for children [loads of them if you want a quite holiday] and then a disco or bought in act. Fantastic range of snacks available throughout the day if all inclusive [best option]
Best rep I've had in an Hotel - Joe was superb. we had an emergency situation where one of our group possibly needed to return home early. He really put himself out for us to accommodate that request. Thankfully we didn't need it but he was there for us.
The Hotel is a bit dated but clean and rooms made up daily.
There is a superb bar [station bar] just 59 meters away that has big screen televisions and entertainment nightly. good prices with a happy hour from 17.30 to 21.00hrs ? approx 30 min walk into Protaras but good bus service there and back for 1.50 euro each way. You've also got Fools and Horses and a couple of other bars + restaurants 100 meters away. Superb supermarket opposite Hotel with all you needs stocked.
hope this was useful - I would certainly go back again as it is good value for money basic and honest.
good luck with your hunting.
John from Croydon England."

• Travel date: Fri 20th of May 2016

great fun holiday

"The hotel is a bit dated, but the food was excellent, the chef was a polite man, who on request he made us mosaka. Which was amazing. The waiters were very polite and generous with the drinks. (Marion & Maros) the waitresses in dining hall were also polite. The entertainment man( jack Daniel north ) was the best person there, he tried his hardest to do his job but it was hard to entertain the Russians as they are hard to please, and rude to the staff, spitting and walking around like they rule the place. But they don't. It is more for the English. It was very clean inside and out. I will be going again."

• Travel date: Sun 5th of July 2015

Hotels near Papantonia Hotel Apartments

Stayed at Papantonia Hotel Apartments? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Papantonia Hotel Apartments

• hank1975 by hank1975

"i would recommend this to familys only but i would go back "

• ChloePearl by ChloePearl

"Its a really friendly place "

• ChloePearl by ChloePearl

"The georgia on Protaras Strip or the pub the Station bar "

• Kate Tombs by Kate Tombs

"good cheap meal at the station bar or only fools and horses about 7 euro "

• zapperdoo by zapperdoo

"good place for family holiday "

• zapperdoo by zapperdoo

"red bus trip very good value "

• c goodwin by c goodwin

"Mojitos contempory bar/restaurant with nice atmosphere. Witherspoons bar with home cooked cheap food "

• SunScreen by SunScreen

"It is a really great hotel. "

• pro2jez by pro2jez

"excellent place for kids "

• Guria Bristol by Guria Bristol

"Close to other places to visit "

• tommo by tommo

"caters especially for families "

• debbiesam by debbiesam

"Do not go to this hotel "

• HayzH by HayzH

"walk along the boardwalk along the beach to protarus strip...stunning views "

• Chunkymonkey by Chunkymonkey

"Ask the reps they know everything "

• kfogg by kfogg

"Quiet area but 5 mins either way plenty of shops and pubs, beach 2 mins walk. "

• Julie H by Julie H

"be polite to the staff, and they will be good to you "

Papantonia Hotel Apartments is also called