Melini Apartments

On the main street in Protaras, Paralimni Cyprus

Great Holiday

"Don't worry about reviews about this hotel, we have just come back from a weeks holiday staying at the Melini and it was fine. There is some building working going on over the road but to be honest they've done most of the structural work and you can hardley hear any noise. If you're worried which i was we found that if you walk over the street and down to the beach you can use the sun loungers from the 1st hotel as they don't mind you being there, we also used there facilities too i.e the pool, bar, toilets etc and its a really nice hotel.
Back to the Melini, its very clean and most of staff are English which is funny but good as they know what you're asking for. The rooms are HUGE biggest rooms we've stayed in and ours had 2 bathrooms great for a couple! Only down fall was the air con, wasn't that cool and you have to pay roughly 35 euros for a week. The air con can only be used in one room at a time as it has lounge/kitchen & bedroom. Slightly old fashioned but clean, any problems you have they will fix asap. Food in restuarant was reasonable in island Affair which is next to pool and great toasties in the day at cheap price. All in all i would go back there for a cheap holiday, apartments were great don't worry when you read these terrible reports."

• Travel date: Fri 25th of July 2008

Melini is recommended

"This is the second time in 3 years we have visited Protaras and stayed in Melini and we really enjoyed it again. The previous reviewer said most things that we would agree with the apartments are all you need. The rooms themselves aren't completely up to date but they have everything you need and are cleaned 6 times a week. We had room on 4th floor with huge balcony but that is only as it is one of the corner ones, the rest of the balconies are big enough for table and chairs but not to lay out on. The pool and sun bed area are clean and well maintained you have bar and snacks available from Island Affair restaurant which is attached and does really nice food.

All rooms in the hotel look over the sea and onto main street in Protaras (the noise from the pubs dies down about midnight but it isn't too loud even when playing). We were warned that they was building work over the road just before leaving, the structure was up and there was the occasional noise of a drill but nothing that would spoil your holiday (it is apparently going to be shops).

We would defintely go back to Melini and Protaras again without a doubt."

• Travel date: Wed 9th of July 2008

Great apartments, perfect location

Good

"I did a lot of research before I booked this holiday and I have to say I'm glad I picked the Melini, the research paid off! The hotel is right in the middle of the main strip, about 5 mins walk to the lovely Fig Tree Bay and surrounded by lots of bars and restaurants.

The receptionists are friendly and we were checked in very quickly. There are two modern lifts to all floors and a very nice pool with waterfalls!

Our room was a studio and was perfect for our needs. Admittedly the room was outdated but it had everything we needed to no complaints from us. The bathroom was slightly disappointing, it was very cramped and the shower curtain was just shy of the floor which meant it was difficult to shower without getting the floor a bit wet, but I'm getting picky, for the two of us with was more than adequate.

The room had air con, a fridge, gas hob, kettle and toaster. We used it a couple of times and everything worked well. There was also a phone in the room, not that we ever used it. Our balcony overlooked the pool of the hotel next door, and on our first night on arrival we got really excited as we thought it was ours! We were in room 111 and I have to say I quite enjoyed having the pool view even if it wasn't our pool! I think ours was one of only 4 rooms that had this view though as our room was at the side of the hotel. The pool at the Melini looked beautiful and was very nice with the waterfalls.

As for Protaras itself, the resort is great for families and couples. There are lots of restaurants it was difficult to decide where to go each night. However I have to recommend the Japanese restaurant, food there was absolutely divine and the chefs provide excellent entertainment cooking the food infront of you,

As for evening entertainment, nearly every single bar down the main strip has some kind of tribute act on every single night of the week. Whilst we were there, we saw Elvis, Robbie Williams, Blues Brothers, Abba, Meatloaf and a girl act doing modern pop songs (my boyfriend liked this one!). Also have to recommend the Sphynx, at the top of the strip. It's EUR15 for entry but the acrobatic act is worth the money, they're absolutely amazing, although the drag acts can get a bit tedious after a while. But definitely worth the money, go see!

The beach at Fig Tree Bay is just beautiful. The sunbeds were EUR2 each and well worth it. It's also worth a bus trip to Nissi Beach which is also gorgeous and slightly more lively than Fig Tree Bay. As for trips, I'd definitely recommend the boat trip with BBQ. You get to cliff dive, swim in the crystal blue sea and go see the ghost town of Famagusta (from a distance). The trip was EUR20 for the whole day, 10am-3pm and was a really good value for money."

• Travel date: Mon 16th of June 2008

loved the melini

"We stayed at the melini in sep06 had a brill time. Rooms are cleaned every 1-2 days staff are loverly. melini is a great place for you have the shops and fig tree bay beach on your door step.[best beach ever] We went to the melini with 12 kids and about 15 adults for my wedding.10 went back last year and about 25 this year for my friends wedding cant wait to be back at the melini ."

• Travel date: Mon 28th of January 2008

Needs updating!!

"This was our second time in Protaras and our second time at the Melini apartments.
The first time round we enjoyed it but this time we were disappointed with the staff, rooms and maid service.
The shower room is disgusting for people with late flights and needs updating.
The rooms desperately need modernising and the reception is a 70's throwback, brown and drab.
Protaras is a lovely resort with a great beach and excellent bars and restaurants.
My main concern being a cat lover is the amount of stray cats in the resort. There was a dead kitten in the driveway of our hotel which must have been run over and had been there at least a couple of hours. The reception were not in any rush to remove it despite the fact that children were walking past and obviously getting upset. My Husband complained at reception and was told they'd get round to it so he got a carrier bag and removed it. We were both upset by this incident. There are plenty of people feeding the stray cats but they're poisoned at the end of the season. There is a cat sanctuary in Limassol and we've adopted seven of them. They do excellent work and the stories break your heart.
Overall I would like to visit Protaras again but I would not stay at the Melini apartments again."

• Travel date: Sat 5th of January 2008

great place to stay whilst in protaras

Good

"Had a great time in Protaras this year. It was our first time to Cyprus and we were there for a wedding. The melini apartments were a great base for our holiday. The apartments were fine, have stayed in alot worse. The staff were all nice enough. The only problem we had was the sofa bed in the living room. It was very small and uncomfortable. We were a family of four 2 adults and 2 teenagers so the teenagers got the 2 single beds. We had a 1 bedroom apartment which was on the ground floor, so it was about 10 steps into the pool and we also had sun loungers in our balcony (which was huge). The resturant was also great but to be honest everything we ate in Protaras was great never had a bad breakfast or dinner.The apartments are on the main strip in protaras no too far from the beach (about 2 min walk)and the pubs and clubs. Would highly recommend Protaras for all ages as we were in a large group(ages 3 - 73) and every1 loved it. I would only book the melini apartments if your not too fussy about where you sleep. Going back next year but going to book the Vangelis which was next door."

• Travel date: Sat 22nd of September 2007

Hated the Melini

"Just returned from a 2 weeks stay in Protaras. We only stayed in the Melini for 2 nights, whilst waiting to be upgraded. The Melini are the worst accommodation we have ever stayed in. The apartments are very old and need a complete overhaul. We stayed in a 1 bedroom apt. room no. 305. I did not think our apartment was cleaned, the floors definately weren't as we were cleaning up the previous occupants hairs. We had two shower rooms , no bath, with broken and cracked tiles, mouldy shower curtains and old worn toilet seats. The patio doors didn't lock. The inside of the fridge door was mouldy. The towels and pillows were the worst I've ever encountered. The towels were blue and had little substance and the pillows had no pillow protector so were covered in hundreds of other ocupants dribble stains. The air-con unit is very low on the balcony but this we could avoid!! On this basis we requested an upgrade as we would have been too uncomfortable to stay in this "A" class accommodation. Protaras, however, is a lovely resort and we had a wonderful, relaxing holiday in the end.
Just thought I would point this out in case it gives somebody enough time to switch, I wish I was pre-warned. I wouldn't stay in the Melini if I got it for nothing so if you can afford to pay a bit extra for better accommodation it would be money well spent."

• Travel date: Sun 24th of June 2007

Melini Apaprtments

"Melini Apartments- Protarus, Cyprus
Date;13th May 2007
3 adults 1 infant.

We have just returned from 2 weeks at the Melini Apartments which we were staying in a 2 bedroomed apartment .They are very clean but we found several problems with the accomodation! Bedrooms are spacious and it was described as having 2 bathrooms one with a shower and one with a bath, when we got there it had two very small bathrooms both containing showers which made it very difficult with having a small child !! When you walked out of the patio door to the balcony there was an air conditioning unit attached to the wall and was such a hazard- in fact my dad walked into it several times almost knocking himself out!! the balcony was very big with being on a corner but had fire escape stairs which were such a danger with having a child. We overlooked the Rockafellas bar- and the noise from 10.00 pm till about 1.00a.m. was horrendous!! they had a singer,( well to be honest he murdered most of the songs he did!!) every night and with a child this made sleeping very very hard!! The neighbouring hotel- Vangelis was very noisy also. The hotel is close to the beach and the main strip where all the restaurants and shops are- try the restaurant attached to the hotel- Island ffair. Prince and the Corner House do excellent meals also. I really like Protarus but i would stay somewhere else as all these things combined meant that it was not a very relaxing holiday!"

• Travel date: Mon 28th of May 2007

Had a fab holiday!!

"Me and my boyfriend both aged 22 went to protaras 11th Oct 06 Stayed at the melini. Had a wicked holiday -

Hotel was ok - reception area was very dull and almost a bit like a cheap b&b. Rooms were ok - our balcony was facing another hotels balcony so we had to keep the curtains shut the majority of the time as people would stare in our room! We also got little visits from ants in our room! Very basic and dated and no tv. There is one tv in the reception lobby area for everyone to watch but who wants to do that when your on holiday!!!!!! We were located in room 203 which was at the very end of the block - you could hear everything that went on in the rooms next door and even more in the corridors. Beds were comfy and had 2 sofas in the room. Kitchen was basic eith an oven, toaster fridge and kettle with basic cooking utensils but we ate out every day/night! Pool area was good apart from the sun dissapearing over the building at about 3pm...best to use the beach which is just over the road! £2.50 each for a bed.

Entertainment was brill - saw a lot of elvis and robbie tributes which are up and down the strip all night! Tributes and main entertainment starts about 10pm. before 10pm all cocktails and beers are on special offer, about £1.50 for any cocktail you want! and they decorate the drinks lovely haha. Would reccomend 'The Bells Bar' We had some fab nights in there and on our last but one night we made friends with some of the bar staff who were making us drink FREE sambucca! (i'd reccomend you buy the bar staff a drink and they'll look after you all night!

Overall - hotel was basic but we use the room to sleep in!! when your on holiday you dont tend to want to live in your hotel so it was fine! We had a fantastic holiday and would definately go back again but maybe in a different hotel - we would still like to be based on the main strip though because everythings right there on your doorstep!

Any questions feel free to email me!"

• Travel date: Sun 12th of November 2006

loved protaras

Good

"Protaras, Cyprus. The beaches are glorious with Figtree Bay at one end or Protaras being the best beach, the water was clear and warm. A very nice take away or eat at the tables at the top of the beach. Good bars with entertainment at night and excellent cocktails, and plenty of good restauants, we went to Mexican, Chinese, Italian, and Greek. I have never been one to go back to resort twice as there are alot of places in the world to go, but would return again next year to Protaras.
On a previous trip to Cyprus we visited the north (Turkish side) well worth a visit.

We stayed at the Melini Apartments, best discribed as cheap and cheerful. Clean with large rooms, but in need of updating, the bathroom fittings where rusty. On the last day we had to be out of our room for 12 noon, no room was available to change in before flying home, late night. We where offered a guest shower which was dirty, and well past its sellby date, we ended up just washing down using the sink. When I asked about somewhere to dry my hair if I washed it, I was told I could use the plug in the middle of Reception. This was the poorest facilities we have found for a late take off. Would I go to these apartments again, yes but only if the price was cheap and I did not have a late take off."

• Travel date: Tue 10th of October 2006

Stay away from the Melini Apartments

"Believe me this is a GENUINE review guys. Do not stay at the Melini unless you want to be welcomed by ANTS and COCKROACHES! Still scratching following our stay there in 2012!!!"

• Travel date: Sun 26th of August 2012

melini hotel apartments,

Good

"we stayed at the melini appartment for 1 week in august 2011.we had a 2 bedroom,the accomodation was very spacious,,room no 309, if your party is for 5 or 6 people,lots of hanging and drawer space for clothes,,and to store luggage,,the balcony was the best,,right above main entrance and because it was a corner position the balcony carried on round to the side of the buiding,,magic,,a real sun spot,with 3 loungers, table and chairs,,and a clothes line was a bonus too, no pegs though,,,the kitchen was good,, 2 ring cooker,full standing fridge,,kettle, toaster,and a microwave,( dont no if other rooms had a microwave,,thomas cook didnt no if our accomodation had one ).we cooked quite a lot, we felt that at least 2 more sauce pans would have been good, and a sieve,the beds were very comfy, even the sofa bed,,we didnt bother with payinf for the air com, we took our own fan and that was good,,my husband and children actually enjoyed sleeping on the loungers at night,,the swimming pool was really lovely, we felt that the restuarant was o the expensive side,,we didnt try it, also rockerfellows was pricy for drinks too,,we had food and drinks in cheers and the love boat, which were better value,,the resort is beautiful,,our 1st time in cyprus and we would definately go back,and recommend it ,,the beach was kept very clean,all in all it was a truly lovely holiday resort and accomodation,,if you are on a budget,its just a case of shopping around,,and making meals in the accomodation too, which is good if your children arent very adventurious, enjoy.."

• Travel date: Sat 20th of August 2011

Hotels near Melini Apartments

Stayed at Melini Apartments? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Melini Apartments

• "A lively strip with plenty of entertainment and good food. "

• "island affair.....the beaches are great and the watersports plentiful. "

• louise murphy by louise murphy

"v family orientated and a lot of english "

• louise murphy by louise murphy

"cheers,the love boat,Rockafellas "

• MrY by MrY

"Erato, Il Bassilico, Hippocampus not to forget Cheers Pub brilliant friendly service delicious cheap "

• PROTARAS by PROTARAS

"cheers was a nice friendly place to sit and have a few drinks the staff were so nice "

• HARP by HARP

"Cheers,good food , drink and music "

• ellisequestrian by ellisequestrian

"Island Affair, Rockafellas, Only Fools and Horses, Friends and loads of others! "

• Lex&James. by Lex&James.

"Friends bar! also the red bus tour was really good, although it was 3 hours ! I "

• sissyireland by sissyireland

"Red Indian American Restaurant. Open top red bus trip. "

• patk10 by patk10

"Beautiful, easy and fun! "

• pat.ocallaghan1 by pat.ocallaghan1

"Excellent place to stay. "

• jacknalice by jacknalice

"great size rooms, very central, close to beach "

• steveray by steveray

"a bit dated but spotless, very friendly "

• hot lips by hot lips

"loved it dont look book "

• seivy by seivy

"Protaras is a beautifull place i love cyprus! "

• happy couple by happy couple

"If self catering use the Lidle nearby as they are lot cheaper than supermarkets. "

• Phil and family by Phil and family

"Make the most of the great location and attractive, good sized pool! Enjoy the staff, they are brilliant! "

• donna,n,family by donna,n,family

"try cheers for food, try loveboat for entertainment "