Capo Bay Hotel

2 Iasonos St P.O.Box 33115, Protaras, Paralimni 5311 Cyprus

Good

Wonderful Hotel, great location, immaculate beach, fab weather

Good

"We very much enjoyed our stay (myself, husband and 2.5 year old son).
To start reception where very polite and dealt with us very quickly and efficiently. We made our way to our room which was a standard side sea view, which over looked the pool and the sea. The room was very clean and fairly spacious with fridge, safe, air con, TV, Tea & Coffee & telephone. Carpeted floor, great for young children no accidents slipping on a wet tiled floor! We have twin beds and a large put up bed for our son. A very quiet room indeed of which was cleaned daily with fresh towels and re stocked the Tea & Coffee. If you are overlooking the car park this gets very noisy of a night time. We opted for B&B, the choices buffet breakfast was fabulous and plenty of high chairs. There was plenty of lifts to get about in with the buggy. We had an evening buffet meal which was nice with wine however this was quiet expensive and so was the lunch pool bar meals to. We had room service a few times of which was reasonable and 24 hour! As the hotel is literally located a few steps away from many, many bars and restaurants I would recommend you nip out to the Love Boat or Cheers for lunch and dinner for a few pounds.
The pool was very clean and a small children's pool attached just enough to splash about in. The bar isn't a swim up bar although they will bring drink and food to your sun bed if requested FOC. The great thing to you don't need to carry cash as you charge your room should you wish to eat and drink on site. The reserved sun beds are such a good idea to, they where never out of pool towels either so there's no need to take towels at all as we took ours to the amazing two minute walk beach to. The beach is immaculate and the sea is just like the Maldives so clear, water sport literally on your door step and well priced to. To hire sun beds on the beach and a umbrella cost you £4.50 per day.
The kids club is ok, clean indoor playroom and staff are friendly, there is also an outdoor play area in the sand next to the pool so you can still sunbath. The playground equipment is step 2 so good for small children not teenagers.
Their is a doctor on site to of which unfortunately we had to use whom was excellent.
MacDonald, Pizza hut and SKF is just around the corner to if you like your creature comforts foods for the kids.
The night bar was really expensive and the entertainment was basic but there's so much on your door step its unlikely you'll want to stay in. To hire a car cost us £20 per day incl as they are competing for business its cheap, they drive on the same side as us. The plugs is the rooms are also the same as the UK. Clothes are quite expensive although they have plenty of supermarkets on your door step at normal prices for toiletries, Pampers etc.
We went to the water park at Ayia which was great fun for all. We also visited the Aquarium which was good but expensive for an hours entertainment. If you are interested in Farmagusta and its history and no mans land history go the town and Debenhams has a education centre and you can see the whole city for £0.50 CYP.
We really enjoyed our stay however we did spend a lot of money, ordinarily we would go all inclusive to the Dominican for £2k for 2 weeks but we spent well over this all in all for this holiday, as alcoholic drinks can be expensive.
The weather was hot, hot, hot!
Their web page is true to form.

The hotel also had a wedding a day which looked fabulous and had a lovely sea view balcony. A lovely wedding setting"

• Travel date: Tue 10th of October 2006

lovely holiday, best location

"We paid extra for a supperior room, but even though we had a sea view we would rather have been able to see the sea on the pool side not the car park, i did ask to be moved but because there was nothing available we stayed put, (see pictures).
Room was no way a superior room, beds hard pillows hard, diddnt use the two chairs in the room because they were hard too. Take our advice just book standard seaview room with sea view. these are in the main building. Superior rooms are in a block ajacent to main building.

Pool was great sunbeds were reserved with a choice of where you could be,

We were B&B plenty of places to eat on the strip, although we did eat midday snacks at the outdoor hotel resturant, lovely food lots of it.

The breakfast buffet was lovely, plenty of choice, cereal, cold meats cheese, cakes, cooked breakfast etc."

• Travel date: Thu 21st of September 2006

Very average hotel that lives on it's location

"Capo Bay location was great , grounds and pool areas were excellent.
We paid for a superior sea view room, the room was facing a road although you could see the sea! It took three days to move us to another sea view room overlooking the pool. The superior room to me is just a standard everyday room and is nothing special, I would really like to compare this to a standard room in the hotel.

Staff were very friendly and lovely people.

The beds were extremley hard and the pillows were thin and uncomfortable.

We unfortunately booked full board. Lunch was ok and taken in the snack bar, you could have had starter main course and dessert although at no time was this offered, we found out at the end of our stay. We were only ever offered a sandwich burger pizza type meal.
Dinner was ok. The main course was always a good choice of dises buffet style. The starter was quite a limited choice and the dessert choice was the worst we have ever had in any hotel we have visited. Choice of about 4 desserts plus fresh fruit, never once was there a cheese plate often desserts would consist of Cold Rice. Fruit Jelly. Cake maybe 2 types nothing very special at all.
My advice would be to eat out"

• Travel date: Sat 16th of September 2006

Good

"We stayed here in June 2005 as my sister got married here.
The hotel was nice and clean, staff were friendly and the location was good. However, for how much it cost for the two week stay, it certainly did not have the WOW factor. The only thing that I could say was exceptionally well managed was the sun beds, once you selected your beds they were yours for the duration of the holiday which I wish more hotels and apartments would adopt this scheme. My daughter also enjoyed the childrens club.
The beach is literally on your door step together with restaurants and bars so you cannot fault the location at all.
We have booked up for next year but are staying at the Rising Star Apartments as our family stayed there and they were alot nicer and cheaper!!!"

• Travel date: Fri 4th of August 2006

Great Family Holiday

"Just returned from the Capo Bay, and had a great time 2 Adults and 2 Children. Location is ideal with easy acces to the beach and to the town. The reserved sunbed system was excellent and got rid of the idiotic towels on sunbeds in the morning routine. The hotel was very clean, we stayed on B & B basis so could not comment on the evening meals but there was a great choice of good restaurants nearby."

• Travel date: Mon 31st of July 2006

Disappointing

"After reading all the reviews already posted on Trip Advisor I really thought that this hotel was going to be great. As soon as I walked into the hotel - I was disappointed. I was under the impression that after spending £1,250 for myself and my friend for a week at the Capo Bay - Bed and Breakfast only this was going to be good. I'm sure that back in the 1970's this hotel was nice - but now it is dated and worn. We booked a superior room and I would say at best the room was equivalent to a 2 star/3 star. The facilities in the hotel were OK. Breakfast was basic. The only good things I can say about this hotel is the swimming pools were good and so was the sun-bed reservation scheme. The beach again was disppointing - yes it was just down the steps from the pool - but it was small and you had to pay for your sun-loungers. I thought that part of the beach was owned by the hotel - but oh no. On a Saturday and Sunday local people use the swimming pool and outside areas - which I thought was bad - as I pressume they were not paying for that privilege.

In summary, I just felt we did not get value for money - and I would at best rate this hotel as a 3 star.

Oh and just before I forget - the hotel's website is totally mis-leading - the look and feel of the website is very modern, sylish etc. - this is nothing like the hotel!"

• Travel date: Mon 17th of July 2006

capo bay protara

"we have just returned from a week at the capo bay hotel. The pool towels were clean and not frayed, the room was basic (but how long are you in it!!!) the bathroom was clean, the face cloths were whiter than white, the safe deposit box was free, as was the air conditioning (which you could leave on all day) the choice of food at breakfast and evening meal was excellent, the staff were all friendly and helpful. The pool was excellent for the children and so were the girls running the kids club (not many activities but the football drew a good crowd). The hotel was always spotless, the gardens were well kept, the litter bins were emptied regularly, the pool was cleaned every evening. No sign of ants (which we have encountered in hotels before). The children gave the thumbs up to everything and so did we. The "strip" as it is called was a little surreal with all the theme bars/restaurants but there was "traditional" places to eat and drink - each to their own!"

• Travel date: Tue 11th of July 2006

Escape from the office

Good

"I have just read a review from a TripAdvisor from Essex - some of her comments regarding Protaras are valid and I hope she will holiday in Southen on Sea in future - because - we have been holidaying in Protaras for the last 13 years, so we have seen many bad changes to a wonderful holiday location. We do not like One Way systems, McDonalds, Karaoke in every other bar, Russian Waiters(no offence to the russian people), late night noise etc. But we know and meet many people who like us return every year. Why? - because we make the effort to meet and befriend the locals and learn the languge (or at least something, after all it is their country) we also go to enjoy ourselves. We have stayed at 3 different hotels and whilst one of them is our second favourite - we always try and stay at the Capo Bay - this hotel offers value for money. CLEAN rooms, very friendly & courteous staff, envious location and good food! - what more do you want?
We have introduced this hotel to a few close friends - they love it!
I can only suggest that this hotel in fairly compared with other 4* Hotels in Cyprus for a realistic review.
PS. we will be back every year for the forseeable future!
Jim"

• Travel date: Tue 2nd of May 2006

Capo Bay Hotel - fantastic

"We stayed at the Capo Bay Hotel in October 2005 for our 2 week honeymoon. We had a fantastic time. The hotel was wonderful and the service was great.

The best bit is that the hotel run a sunbed reservation scheme, where you are allocated a sunbed for the whole of your holiday. You are also given beach towels which can be exchanged every day.

We were upgraded to a sea view room which was great. We were given wine, fruit, t-shirts and cake. The room had a satellite tv with BBC Prime and Sky News. The shower was really powerful.

The breakfast buffet was totally fantastic with a huge selection of food to choose from.

Protaras itself is lovely. You must go to Nicolas Taverna for real Cypriot food. They are very friendly there and give you free drinks and stuff.

We had a fantastic time here and are aiming to go back whenever we can afford it"

• Travel date: Wed 1st of February 2006

Very average Hotel & below average resort !

"I must say I am somewhat surprised by some of the comments given by other contributors on this Hotel. And regrettably my comments are not quite so positive !

The words, 'excellent', 'romantic' and 'luxurious' & 'heaven' are definitley NOT words I would use to describe Capo Bay Hotel or indeed Protaras.

ROOM: On arrival the Receptionist tried to fob us off with 2 different rooms that did not have a sea view - even though we had paid for it. The Manager finally gave us a room which had a sea view and told us this was in fact a large 'Superior' room...to which we almost laughed. We have stayed in many 4 Star (and 5 star) Hotels around the world and found it hard to believe they could label the room Superior. The size was very average indeed, and the balcony tiny. Yes the bathroom was very roomy with 2 sinks which were ideal, however, the decor and furniture had all seen better days. During the week we found other people had also complained about the 'tattiness' of the rooms and were subsequently moved too.

ENTERTAINMENT: I agree with the Gentleman that said 'very twee'. It doesnt encourage you to want to actually stay in the Hotel for the evening.

POOL AREA: Pool was a good size, very well maintained and the children there loved the inflatables left for them. A very nice water feature made the pool a nice backdrop for the many wedding photos taken there !
Not my idea of a dream wedding to be surrounded by people in and out of a pool in their cossies ! but each to their own I guess....

The Parasol ownership is excellent ! Best thing about the Hotel.

The General Manager actually told my Husband that they were aiming to become a 5 star Hotel, something which really shocked us. There is no way surely a Hotel like Capo Bay can become a 5 star Hotel with shabby rooms, poor entertainment, frayed poolside towels, patchy and badly maintained grass areas by the pool, bins overflowing...All the 5 star hotels we have stayed in are on a different level to this entirely.

PROTARAS RESORT: Good if you like endless Karaoke Bars, full english breakfasts, sunday roasts, Football on large screens in every bar, very average restaurants, tacky fake designer wear in every shop....and if your idea of a good holiday is sitting in bars that show continuous episodes of Only Fools & Horses and Friends then this place is ideal for you.

However, may I recommend you save your money and stay at home, or just get a train to Southend on Sea.

If you like something a bit classier with more culture, DONT GO.

The Elvis singers sum Protaras up entirely. Need I say more ?"

• Travel date: Tue 27th of September 2005

4 Star with attitude.

"We booked online directly with this hotel as we knew of it from a previous holiday, and to be honest we saved a packet compared to a package deal.
The hotel and facilities were very good; luxury and quality...but any extras are very, very and a few more very's pricey!
I've read other reviews saying the hotel staff were unfriendly but I would not say that is the case. I would say it is a sort of "distancing" if anything. It's as if their brief is to "not talk to the guests; you are not worthy".
The usual friendly and open attitude of the Cypriots seems to be missing at this hotel.
Oh, and watch the minibar in the room. We got charged twice for stuff we didn't have - at them prices?! They did drop it though without fuss.
Also if you are thinking of a wedding venue, they do seem to be very organised on that one, but it could be anywhere. If it's a backdrop you want, consider St Paul's, Lindos. Now THAT is a backdrop."

• Travel date: Thu 4th of August 2011

Very poor level of hospitality, over priced

"The only thing this hotel has going for it is the location, right on fig tree bay. This hotel is pretentious and over-priced. The level of service and hospitailty is very poor, and the staff clearly do not want to be there.

We were never greeted with a smile, and it was difficult to even get acknowledged when trying to speak with reception staff, most of whom clearly did not want to be there.

We had a number of complaints during our stay including a missing door handle, paperthin walls, meaning you could hear everything going on in the room next door, and one day no electricity.

The pool was ok, although shaded by the hotal for much of the afternoon. The jacuzzi was a let down as the jets were very weak. The policy of allocated sunbeds means that it takes about a week before you actually get a bed that is not shaded by the hotel, or 5cm next to other guests. The parasoles were small and in a fixed position, meaning that you could not always get under them, as their shadow often fell in a place that was difficult to put your sunbed such as a path or in another guests "patch".

We bought a coke and an orange juice from the pool bar, which cost 14 euros, slightly excessive!! Needless to say, all other drinks (and lunches) were purchase from George Zefkas restaurant next door.

I cannot fault the cleanliness of the hotel, our rooms were cleaned every day, and the bed was comfortable.

Dont waste your money staying half board as the food was ok, but the wine/ drinks are extremely overpriced there are plenty of restaurants on protaras which offer much better cuisine, service and price. We tried to swap our evening meal to a lunch one day and the manager flatly refused, with no real explanation, nor apology. (All other hotels in protaras let you do this, with no quibbles).

I would not stay here again, nor would i recommend this to a friend. You recieve much better service, hospitality and value for money from other hotels such as sunrise beach, constantinos the great, the vrissiana or the odessa. If you want to waste your money (and holiday) then stay at Capo bay.

• Travel date: Sat 2nd of October 2010

Hotels near Capo Bay Hotel

Stayed at Capo Bay Hotel? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Capo Bay Hotel

• Wor George by Wor George

"Hire a car and check out the North. Haggle local car hire, don't bother pre booking. Hertz ripped me off £95 "

• charlieboy by charlieboy

"A wonderful hotel, with fantastic staff and wonderful location. "

• simcock by simcock

"Romeo tavern was a great night out with plate smashing and greek entertainment food was also great "

Capo Bay Hotel is also called