SunConnect Sofianna Resort

9 Agamemnos Street , 8102 , Paphos , Cyprus , Europe

Back breaking beds

"When we arrived, we were shown to our room, taken up stairs with cases and no help from staff (two of our group were OAP's, I personally suffer with my back).

Room very basic, but clean and tidy. My only gripe is the sofa bed which I slept on was like sleeping on a board and as mentioned above I do suffer with my back, so would recommend anyone with back problems does not opt to sleep on the sofa bed! Also our room had an interconnecting room with the room next door and you could hear everything. Luckily it was an elderly couple!!!!!

The pool area is absolutely lovely, well kept and very clean. Pool bar also very nice and staff quite friendly.

Glad I only stayed for a week though. If I was here for 2 weeks would have needed to upgrade my accommodation.

If you book one of these apartments, insist on a pool view and make sure you do not need to use the sofa bed."

• Travel date: Tue 10th of October 2006

Fantastic Place To Stay

"my girlfriend and I (early twenties) upgraded to the sofianna after being put in a very poor hotel in limassol, it was a real godsend to be put in the sofianna, it was in an ideal location, there are slightly more central appartments but are far noiser with limited privacy.

As it is slightly set of the main road, the sofianna has none of these problems, great complex - contrarary to other reviews, the website is a good reflection on the appartments - clean, new, niecly decorated, thick walls - no noise from neighbours - comfy beds, nice balcony space, great pool, lots of facilities table tennis, video games, pool tables etc. good views (although ask to NOT have a pool view, we had a lovely view of a church and the hills and may have been a bit quieter away from the pool which is nearer bar street)

reception staff responsive, fixed our air con (which worked fantastically well keeping us cool) 12 hours after our complaint which is commendable seeing as we complained at 11pm!!

I could go on, we had a fantastic time, ample sunbeds, cheap bar, lack of a restaurant not a problem as so near many other good ones (mandra tavern especially nice), nice variety of guests, all staff spoke english, maids cleaned room (and washed up etc.) very well

all in all great holiday, great hotel highly recommended"

• Travel date: Wed 13th of September 2006

Very basic but central location

"The Sofianna apartments are located centrally in Paphos. They are furnished in a VERY basic fashion - even the 'newly refurbished' rooms seem dated and tired - in need of a good lick of paint and decent lighting. However, the air-conditioning was a God-send and the kitchen seemed to be fairly well equipped.
The pool area has recently been overhauled and facilities are good. Plenty of beds and umbrellas and good facilities for families who have children. However, the chance to chill out and relax was lost to a certain extent by loud adults and children who had no respect for others at all. They made water bombs (balloons filled with water) and chased around the pool side all day throwing them at one another. During the hottest hours of the day it was impossible to take a dip in the pool and swim a length due to numerous inflatables and people throwing and batting balls around - despite the clear signs around the pool from the management which read "No inflatables or balls in the pool."
Paphos itself seems to have lost much of its character and charm to me - it is no longer a place to savour and experience the true culture of Cypriot life. Instead, many of the traditional tavernas have been sold on to companies who have opened music bars and clubs. This means that Paphos is now a very different place - if you are looking for fish and chips, roast beef and Yorkshire puddings, loud clubs for drinking in until the early hours of the morning, topless bars and shows, etc, then this is the place to come. Decent restaurants can be found but you need to hunt for them.
This holiday was not the experience I thought it would be. I think it was marred primarily by the fact that it was the height of the season when we went away. One week was definitely enough - we won't be returning to Cyprus again for the forseeable future. My advice would be to hire a car if you want to see the true Cyprus and go up into the mountains. I would also recommend staying somewhere where tourism hasn't taken over completely such as Polis."

• Travel date: Tue 1st of August 2006

Beware the website

"Typical of many hotel appartments in Paphos, the swanky reception area and the well designed website mask more basic shortcomings.

Good points: fairly clean, excellent location just off Bar Street with good access to the harbour area and shops. Pool is large and well maintained.

Bad points: Rooms are shabby and noisy. Do not look as if they have been decorated for many years. Walls are papier-maché thin and the noise from the pool area, other rooms and the surrounding streets fairly constant. Poor pressure in shower. Bed hard and unfomfortable. Pillows filthy. Reception staff were slow to acknowledge you when you wanted to collect your keys to get back into your room and preferred to chat among themselves and deal with you when they were ready.

At CY£52 a night without breakfast, this is very expensive for what it is. If it was cheap then we would have overlooked it. Paphos is lovely place and there is a lot of accomodation around. Don't be fooled by the marketing puff.

NB - if you do decide to book here, it is best to make your booking by telephone. The online booking system is a joke as staff are extremely slow in reading emails."

• Travel date: Sun 25th of June 2006

great value

Good

"We have stayed b and b in several 4 star hotels in Paphos and visit often as our daughter works there.To save money we tried the Sofianna apts and got a one bedroomed apt that had been refurbished to a very good standard.The complex is obviously old but the rooms,reception,pools and bar area have been updated to a high standard.The position is very good and although near to bar street we were not disturbed and it was peaceful sitting on the balcony in fact the complex was quiet in that you didnt hear your neighbours.We didnt use the pool preferring the beach but the pool looked nice.Ehe complex is within staggering distance of a lot of bars and good restaurants and the best bit? that had to be the price,half of what we usually pay so well done Libra!"

• Travel date: Wed 22nd of March 2006

Good location and value for money

Good

"We stayed in the Sofianna Hotel and Apartments during the last week of January 2006 on a self-catering basis. The Sofianna is located just up a side street at one end of Bar Street. As the name suggests this street consists mainly of bars and clubs along with a few restaurants and Internet cafes. During our stay approx two-thirds of the bars were closed and some others opened only when live UK football could be shown. This was not a problem as there were plenty of options for a drink. At no point could we hear the bars from our apartment situated towards the rear of the building. However, this may be different in the summer when all the bars are open.

The Sofianna consists of a ground floor and two upper floors of rooms. One section of rooms is located around the pool area. The pool is large with a bridge over the middle. There is a pool bar (closed during our stay in January), table tennis table, pool table, table football and video arcade machines. There is also a heated indoor pool which we used and was very warm. Also there is a Jacuzzi, Gym and Sauna. The Gym and Sauna were locked but I guess a key is available from reception and there may be a charge, we didn't use them so don't know. There is also a laundrette, something else we didn't use.

The Sofianna is 5 mins walk down a slight incline to the seafront and about 10 to 15 mins stroll to the harbour area of Kato Paphos; the brochures quote 100m and 500m respectively. Both areas offer an abundance of restaurants, and café bars. During our stay approx half were open but those that were were offering good value food including seafood daily specials and 3 course set menus from CY£5 for those on a budget. For the less adventurous there is a McDonald's, KFC, Pizza Hut and Pizza Express. But do try the local food as it is fresh, well prepared and great value.

The Sofianna is attached by a court yard to the George and Dragon pub which also is accessible from Bar Street. We used this pub to have a drink and watch a couple of football matches. They weren't serving food but may in the summer. But to be honest there are so many places serving food you won't starve!

Our room in the Sofianna was a decent size and consisted of an open plan bedroom, living room and kitchen area along with a bathroom. We had two single beds pushed together. There was a TV with BBC1, Sky News and MTV in English, a coffee table and chairs and a dressing table. The built-in wardrobes also featured a safety deposit box which cost CY£5 for the week. The bathroom featured a bath/shower. There was also a small balcony with table and chairs.

We travelled with Cosmos and although we didn't book any trips through them we did hire a car for 4 days and clocked about 500km travelling around the various towns and villages. The car was hired through Europcar and as they had a 4 days for the price of 3 offer available and the cost seemed comparable to the many car hire places around the Sofianna and resort in general. But remember that we were here in the low season which may impact on the deals available. Something worth noting is that we wanted a soft top 4x4 but as it was January they didn't want to give us one, in case it leaked they said, so we were upgraded to the next more expensive hard top model at no extra cost.

Overall the Sofianna offers good value for money, is clean, has courteous staff but could use a lick of paint in places. We would happily stay here again."

• Travel date: Fri 3rd of February 2006

AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!!

"Our stay at Sofianna was the celebration of my Fathers wedding and so we were hoping for a relaxed week on such a beautiful Island. Cyprus itself is lovely, the locals are very friendly (the lady in the shop opposite was a delight) and the food is excellent. We went to a restaurant 5 minutes from the hotel past ‘George & Dragon Pub’ across the square called ‘AGAPINOR RESTAURANT’ and had the freshest seafood! It was so good we returned on our last night! The staff were excellent and very welcoming! There is also a small bakery with a local chap who was so lovely to us! It is called MILTIADES and is located next to the Municipal Art Gallery in Paphos town center – definitely worth a visit! We had fresh local pastries and tea and it was just so lovely I have to mention it! I would recommend Cyprus to anyone, however I would advise to steer clear of the Sofianna Apartments.
We had booked a party of 7 in 4 rooms (3 double, one single) and had booked with Co Op Travel/Thomas Cook and had spent a large amount of money. For this money, you would expect a safe, clean and helpful environment, and Sofianna was NONE of these. As we were traveling with a minor, we requested all rooms on the same floor and were told this was no problem. We unfortunately were missing 2 of our party due to unforeseen circumstances at home and so traveled as a party of 5 to Cyprus. On arrival to Sofianna, we were greeted by one member of reception who was the only member of staff in the entire hotel! She gave us our room keys but didn’t show us where our rooms were so we had to find them ourselves. On arrival to our rooms, we found that the minor we were traveling with was in a room on a completely different floor to the rest of the party which is unacceptable. My father and his partner were in room 420 and were greeted by a 2 inch long cockroach crawling from the cracks in the bathroom and smashed glass all over the floor in the kitchen which I personally was 2cm from treading on!!! My father went to reception to ask for someone to clean it up, but was told by reception that there was no staff in the hotel and she couldn’t do anything about it and didn’t even apologies!! I’m sorry, but this in itself is entirely disgusting! My father had to clean up the glass himself. We managed to have our minor moved into a closer room, but not without difficulty.
It gets worse; there were numerous bulbs in all rooms (420,419,416) that didn’t work and the lights were dangerously coming off the ceiling, radio’s in the beds didn’t work, there were Thorns on the floors so clearly hadn’t been hovered, the cookers were rusty and had dials falling off, the cupboards were hanging off the walls, there was no light in the fridge in 420 so we didn’t even know if it was working! Our towels were changed once in a week (my father’s room didn’t even have theirs replaced, they had to ask for them) and they smelt like oil and didn’t seem very clean, our sheets were the same for the whole holiday which in turn aggravated my eczema to become really sore and I’ve spent the whole time since being home treating it and looking awful. The appliances were either seriously dated, dirty or broken, the TV wasn’t tuned to any particular channel and there was WI-FI that we could connect to but it didn’t allow access to the internet, the maid had turned off our noisy air-con at the fuse and continued to do this as if it was some sort of game every day, she also ignored out ‘do not disturb’ sign and woke us at 8.45am being in our bathroom! That was frightening, we thought we were being burgled! All bathrooms were dirty (we had a used earplug covered in dust sat in the corner which was left there all week), the enamel was peeling off the baths, the water trickles from the shower that is held together with red tape AND is hot one second then freezing the next, the shower mats were vile and should be thrown away. The loo was dirty and had no cleaner in it the whole week, the maid even broke the toilet seat and just left it broken for us when we arrived after a day out...why she was touching it when it wasn’t being cleaned I’ll never know! Cracks in the steps outside, cracks in the plaster all over the place in each of our rooms and in 416 there was a huge crack and damp area in the ceiling that looked pretty dangerous to us! One of us slipped on wet tiles, fell down the stairs and very badly sprained her ankle as there were no caution signs and you couldn’t see the surface water on the marble tiles. Further action is being taken against the hotel for this.
The pool was NOT clean and it was VERY cold, there was grime at the bottom, broken plastic tubing at the bottom too that looked sharp and dangerous and wasn’t removed, we couldn’t smell the chlorine smell that it should have so we avoided this all week, the children’s play area was locked, as was the heated indoor pool (should have been open on 1st Nov but this was changed to 15th for no apparent reason) and the gym and sauna. There was an area with a pool table and pinball machine which was so noisy it woke us up daily way before 9am. There was a plug in the wall of 420 which had two pieces of metal sticking out of the socket...we were very lucky we didn’t have small children traveling with us as this is ridiculous (also note that a small child could easily fit between the gaps in the balcony and drop 3 floors!) There is more, but this will end up being too much to read. We couldn’t do anything about any of these issues as there was one member of staff in the entire building who was utterly useless and there was no management present at all for our entire stay.
I would never recommend Sofianna to anyone, it is disgusting and unsafe and I would certainly not advise anyone to stay there with small children. It is supposed to be a 4* hotel and I have absolutely no idea why, coming back to the rooms every day was the worst part of our holiday and it was very disappointing. Location wise Sofianna was actually decent as it was 10 minutes from the harbor and 2 minutes from the square in Kato Paphos which was nice as we needed to spend as much time AWAY from the hotel as possible. My advice is to AVOID AT ALL COSTS – there are plenty of nicer hotels within very close proximity and most are less expensive. This was supposed to be a celebration week for my father’s wedding but turned out to be more of a holiday from hell.

• Travel date: Sat 8th of November 2014

you pay for what you get!!

Good

"Great Holiday! No the best hotel (rooms need a bit up grade!) but a wondeful location! not far from anywhere!for long trip which are high recomended take the bus and use the day ticket!
We did use much of the hotel pool bar or or the mini market across the road!
Pool bar too expensive and food not good at all, Mini market across the road look auful with the second hand cloths and old dirty shoes for sale(!)next to water, bread and fruits!!!!
We used to buy things from the supermarket down the road!
well as the title said you pay for what you get!!!but in total great holiday we will be back!!"

• Travel date: Mon 18th of February 2013

Great Location

Good

"These apartments are in an excellent location for the main part of Paphos, go to fat mama's for a great meal but it is expensive to eat out you need to watch but go to the supermarket - the moonlight restaurant across from the apartments looks like nothing but the food is excellent and zorro's pub is the cheapest in the place - great apartments and very clean plus cold pool. Do not drink or eat at the pool bar - very expensive and not clean. Take your own water to the pool."

• Travel date: Fri 10th of September 2010

brilliant

"it was my first holliday abroad and i really enjoyed i would go back tmoz.very friendly people and the appartments were great air con well needed it was very hot. and the pool was clean and always kept tidy we ar thinking of going back next year.and i recomend you go to paphos water park really good fun "

• Travel date: Wed 9th of September 2009

CYPRUS09

Good

"the pool was my favourite! its massive. the pool bars quite nice, staff was a bit creepy but he was fine! haha, bagged a free drink from him on the last day.. the rooms were alright, aircon was great and very needed, the beds were comfy. bit of a treck to get up the stairs to the apartment :(. the maids came often.. Bar friends, defo recommended, brilliant meal! the nightlifes brilliant, really busy at the weekend. defo recommend starsky's! was a good club, the music was greaaat. LOVED cyprus.."

• Travel date: Mon 24th of August 2009

Not too bad for the money paid

"I have just got back from a weeks stay at the Sofianna apartments in Paphos. The hotel overall was ok, it was clean and had everything you needed. The room was cleaned every other day and there was no noise. I didn't use the kitchen but it did have everything you would need and the frisge was a good size. The pool area was sufficient and had a kids pool.
Our air con broke twice and we were left overnight in July heat as they had no engineers in the evening.The second occasion was a lot quicker and it was fixed within an hour or so. The staff were mainly friendly but the hotel Manager could do with career change! The cost of food and drink on site was expensive really and if you have kids i could see it being costly. There is no beach near the hotel, only the harbour which is nice with the breeze but not suitable for swimming. You have to get a bus to Coral beach which is about 20 minutes away. Take food and drink with you as there is only one shop/kiosk and they charge silly amounts of money.
Paphos itself is a real tourist trap. Whilst i like to feel welcome and have food that caters for all, it was almost like staying in Leicester Square London. If you want to experience traditional food you need to hire a car or get on a bus away from the tourist area.
Drinking out was also expensive. A local beer was around 3 euros and imported was 4 euros. There is a bar street which has a small strip of bars all of which have PR girls trying to entice you in. Be prepared to pay 5 euros for a smirnoff ice and the same for an imported drink.You cn sometimes get two for price of one so that isn't too bad.
Overall it was a good holiday and i think my advice would be to get a half board deal or stay a little bit out of Kato Paphos so you can experience Cyrpus.

• Travel date: Tue 14th of July 2009

Hotels near SunConnect Sofianna Resort

Stayed at SunConnect Sofianna Resort? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for SunConnect Sofianna Resort

• LouDos by LouDos

"First floor rooms over looking the pool are wondeful! "

• getyourratout by getyourratout

"bar friends, el sombrero, starskys, flairs, bubbles. "

• bunney by bunney

"try it you will really like it "

• debrahardy by debrahardy

"Fantastic place everyone is so friendly. "

• debrahardy by debrahardy

"KALIMERA RESTAURANT OPPOSITE OTHELLOS. "

• Janice M by Janice M

"Take plenty of money and try not to be too dissappointed cos the weather makes a big difference, "

• Janice M by Janice M

"Mosaics are lovely but we hadn "

• kee1984 by kee1984

"It is expensive and very touristy. Be prepared to spend more money than you would in the UK. "

• kee1984 by kee1984

"Coral beach a short bus ride away "

• beasty259 by beasty259

"Would recommend the 'friends' bar, friendly people, nice food, reasonable prices. "

SunConnect Sofianna Resort is also called