Good

First visit but not the last

Reviewed Wed 27th of July 2016

"We've just come back from 11 nights here all the staff are very friendly the hotel itself is lovely and clean. We booked a sea view, it was a lovely room on the 2nd floor looking out over the sea and pool area.
I must thank the hotel staff for their politeness, the young ladies on reception, bar staff specially Peter what a gentleman, the chefs, all kitchen and dining room staff you all added to a great experience.
I must praise the domestics for their room services the room was always clean and fresh - Well done ladies.
The food was plentiful and all tastes were catered for at all mealtimes. Thank you.
A special mention has to be made to the Animation team of Andrei, Johnny, Emmi and the new girl Aneesha who arrived the same Saturday as we did, these guys are fantastic came to know them very well and had a great laugh, in my opinion they made our holiday. Every day they went round announcing the upcoming activities for the day but were never pushy. These guys worked really hard were so friendly to all, young and old alike and full of fun. Their evening comedy shows were hilarious, especially their musical instrument sketch and Dirty Dancing!!!! (I won’t say what they did and spoil the surprise) In the daytime, activities included French Boules, water aerobics, water polo, archery and activities were finished off with a general knowledge quiz.
I really hope the hotel keep these guys on for next year because the place wouldn't be the same without them. These guys really need to be praised for all their skills. A very big thanks.
This was our first trip to Cyprus and it won't be the last.
Please keep this hotel as adults only as we enjoyed every bit of the relaxation, just one comment of improvement when it comes to refurbishment perhaps extra 13amp UK sockets around the dressing table, it was not the end of the world but 1 socket meant shuffling plugs around. Never spoils the holiday and will come back.
Many thanks for a great holiday. Clive & Lisa.
• Stayed June 2016, traveled as a couple

• Travel date: Thu 14th of July 2016

hotel cypria bay

Reviewed Wed 14th of March 2012

"just returned from a weeks all inclusive stay and really enjoyed it. The hotel looked clean and modern, the chamber maids always presented the towels in different ways each day such as a flower, swan etc, a lovely touch!The rooms were spacious and clean, toiletries and beach towels provided. The food was lovely and lots of choice, they even provided a cold buffet for us as we were a late arrival on the first night. The staff were all lovely and friendly and nothing was too much trouble. The spa is lovely and not expensive, well worth a visit!
The location is beautiful overlooking the beach and the poot area is kept very clean and tidy, we saw the water being tested at least once a day. We would definitely return, a lovely hotel!!

• Travel date: Tue 13th of March 2012

Total waste of money

Reviewed Fri 9th of September 2011

"Having been to several riu hotels before you expect something like! The Maris has none, the weather was great, people are polite and friendly, hotel was a dirty rundown shanty, never a 2 star let alone a claimed 4.Pool and surrounding area was poorly maintained and dirty, most of the furniture is worn out and broken, tables , chairs , sunbeds, showers, glasses, plates, lifts, carpets. Basically the hotel is wornout, we had water streaming through our ceilings twice during our stay, from broken airconditioning, bathrooms were tatty, showers not working, toilet seats sliding off, funny but not what you pay 1000 pounds for.Nice bar across from our room that plays music and has sing alongs till oneish most nights.Up at six to claim a grotty collapsed sunbed.plenty of children playing in the pool till they caught ear infections,or had numerous flea bites from the many verminous cats. "

• Travel date: Sun 4th of September 2011

cypria maris-everything that you could wish.

Reviewed Thu 1st of September 2011

"my wife and I have stayed at the cypria bay twice and this year 2011 at the maris.what a beautiful holiday in a wonderful setting,right on the beach,and dont forget the superb cypriot hospitality.we hope to go back in Oct 2011 for my birthday to the maris.the gardens at the maris are far superior to that of the bay.there are renovations taking place at both hotels from Nov 2011,to upgrade the hotels,but in my opinion they are fine.yes the maris does need a lick of paint but thats all,its all down to your own standards.I could not praise the staff enough,nothing was too much trouble.As a repeat customer we were upgraded on arrival,and on my wifes birthday she was made to feel very special at evening dinner.So give it a try,I know we will be going back,there is nothing to find fault with."

• Travel date: Sun 28th of August 2011

Slightly disappointed.

Reviewed Mon 22nd of August 2011

"Having paid £750 per person for myself and my boyfriend to stay at this hotel, I can honestly say I was a bit disappointed. Everyone had said 'you can't go wrong at a RIU hotel' but yes you can. The food was the same standard you'd expect at a 2* in Magaluf and had very little choice for vegetarians bar one pasta dish and some chips. Needless to say we ate out every day and night.

On the upside, the rooms are lovely and clean but then the cleaners didn't change the towels as requested and folded the damp towels and put them back on the rack.

If you like the pool, you'll have to get up early to beat the germans. We couldn't get anywhere near the pool for the whole 7 days but thought we'd head to the beach instead...what a disappointment. The beach is so small when there is big scope for improvement if only they brought in a few tonnes of sand?!

On the whole though the hotel was nice, staff friendly and helpful but not the same standard as Caribbean RIU by any stretch. I doubt I'd go all inclusive again (having been year on year to Greece / Cyprus / Turkey AI) as it turned out to be more expensive than going to somewhere much more exotic."

• Travel date: Fri 19th of August 2011

holiday with friends

Reviewed Wed 21st of September 2011

Just returned on 16th June 2011, this is the better of the 2 hotels, clean, friendly staff, especially waiting on staff. Drinks very weak,the strongest was the wine with our meal, food fantastic,we were a party of four celebrating anniversaries, on booking we requested a few special requests,unfortunately none of these were actioned and was advised by reception you only get what you pay for, well we paid a lot for this holiday so I would have expected a more helpful response.
Due to a few cypriot weddings as lovely as they were they were given priority at the hotel,this meant that we had to go to the Maris for our entertainment, again not the better of the two.The sunbeds need updating other hotels were far superior. I would recommend this Hotel only as a 3 star though.However when we return to Cyprus we would probably go to one of the more superior hotels.

• Travel date: Mon 20th of June 2011

Pleasantly surprised

Reviewed Fri 27th of May 2011

"Having read a number of reviews of the Riu Cypria Resort prior to leaving we approached our 7 day holiday with some trepidation.
We needn't have worried the 10 of us who visited from the 18th May all agreed that we had a great time.
Don't get me wrong the hotel is probably not 4 star maybe 3.5 at best. But when I read reviews from others I am sure they are not considering how much they paid for the Riu Cypria v's some of the other hotels along the strip to Paphos.
We were allocated to the Maris section of the Resort - as others have said the resort does consist of two hotels adjacent to one another but you are able to use facilities at either.
On arrival we did think our fears were justified as the indoor pool and Gym area at the drop off area at the front of the Maris is currently being re-furbished so looked a bit like a building site. However, once inside the reception area was airy and the booking in staff very efficient.
We went to our room and was plesently surprised, it was clean, bright and contained all the items you would expect.
The time we spent sunbathing we spent at the Maris as the pool is better for swimming and it is less crowded than the Bay. One criticism of the Maris pool area is that the sun beds have seen better days and should be replaced. That saying we used them every day without problem.
For food we ate breakfast and lunch at the Maris and Dinner at the Bay. We are really surprised that somne people have slated the food. We can honestly say that we never had a bad meal. The choice was really good and the quality also good.
All the staff at the resort are friendly and helpful. The entertainments staff work really hard to keep everyone entertained both during the day and in the evenings.
Drinks from the various bars are generally local brands and are not the strongest but they are readily available if that is your objective.
In conclusion if you go to this resort with the intention of having a good time you will enjoy it if however you are a tyre kicker and spend all your time looking for faults you will find them. I know which I would prefer!!!

• Travel date: Thu 26th of May 2011

what a dissapointment!

Reviewed Mon 1st of November 2010

"well my heart sunk as soon as we arrived. Having stayed at a riu hotel before we thought "can't go wrong".The food that was left out for our late arrival consisted of cheese and a few stale crackers!.Not so bad the following morning b/fast ok. Next the sunbeds all in need of replacing!.After our evening meal we thought we would have a drink outside wrong ive got more seats in my back garden than the balcony. No ashtrays! plastic cups with water 5*star ha ha.Pool bar not even open in the evening unless you were one of the many wedding parties that took place during our week 12 to be precise.We made the most of our week and came home with a suntan but would NOT go back there again. "

• Travel date: Sat 30th of October 2010

Fab Holiday

Reviewed Mon 4th of October 2010

"fantastic holiday,we just arrived to the the riu cypria maris it looked a bit dated and shabby compared to the riu cypria bay next door,but what can i say , clean place to live in food and drinks all day , quiet pool and if you get a bit bored of sun bathing theres the brill animation team doing water gym , beach volleyball (on the beach),water basketball , killer darts and lots more games to play ,but if your in to water sports down at the beach there is a place were you can go on jet skis , paraclyding , banana boat , big marble and lots more to go on,but at the beach there is a peir u can sun bathe on, you might not like the maris end so maybe a day go down to the bay and chill there , there is a walk in pool which is much better than climbing in the pool at the maris but warning! it is a lot busier down at the bay so get up early for a sun lounger , told you the mornings now night ,as the usual you,ll go to dinner but then it is entertainment some days it might boring dancers but then theres a fire show, fakir show , challenge night and lots of shows that the animation team did, but then for adults u might not think it is late so there is a disco in the maris called disco blue, so i would defo go back coz brill hotel ! "

• Travel date: Tue 28th of September 2010

A Fab Holiday

Reviewed Tue 5th of October 2010

"Just back from 2 weeks in cypria maris in cyprus, myself, 8yr old daughter and my mother, had a great time, hotel is a bit dated, compared to bay end, but clean, has friendly helpful staff, who aim to please, great food, drink, quiet pool, water sports right on beach, jet ski's a must, brill, private little peir to bathe on, fishing galore, bay end is nice but a little more busy, entertainment on mon-sat, well they do need a day off, mimo's animation team were brill, always had a smile, they had games on during day, killer dartrs, 10 pin bowling, french boules, u can do it if u want, or just relax by the pool, but it was great fun, would defo go back, only down side was hotel a little far from main night life, but the buses are a euro to any were, the harbour, market, water park, and children are free, the harbour is lovely, and the wavedancer boat trip at nite is a must, fab night. holiday was great, book now..

• Travel date: Tue 28th of September 2010

Do not get this hotel confused with the Cypria Bay

Reviewed Fri 17th of September 2010

"Let's get this straight; the Cypria Maris Hotel is NOT the same hotel as its immediate neighbour The Cypria Bay. The holiday brochure tricks you by showing only pictures of all the new clean stuff at the Cypria Bay and then bundles in the Maris referring to them both collectively as the Cypria Resort. It’s not a resort. It’s two hotels next door to each other that were clearly built at different times and are worlds apart with regards to level of quality and are now trying to be mashed together by RIU. Though both owned by RIU, the Cypria Bay is newer, cleaner and more modern looking. If I had to guess, I’d say the Cypria Bay was constructed sometime in the last ten to fifteen years and they had acquired the neighboring hotel – and named it the Maris – on the cheap. There is no denying they appear to be attempting to improve the appearance of the Maris but I’ll be honest and just say it, the Maris is a bit rubbish and here’s why:

My travelling partner and I (female and male respectively and both in our late 20s) arrived at the Maris at about 01:00 on the Saturday night/Sunday morning. The first thing that struck me upon check in was how distasteful the reception area was. For some reason there were random medieval weapons such as lances, spears, swords and flails together with shields affixed to the wall. The colour scheme for the area was almost blood red though not quite as severe. This combination of factors gave the area quite a gloomy, gothic feel which would have been fine if we were checking in for a murder mystery weekend. In fact, thinking about it, it resembles the queue for the Haunted House at Alton Towers (incidentally also in need of an upgrade).

We made our way to the lifts which also appeared to be in poor condition. The buttons looked warn with stickers replacing floor numbers with the lift cars themselves feeling a bit grimy. We exited on the third floor and where you would expect to find tiled floors, we stepped into a gaudy blue and rather worn looking carpet. I was to learn that the gaudy blue design scheme was a theme continued throughout the hotel. Some of the lifts made terrible clunky and whirring noises which were sometimes worse and other times not so bad. When they seemed particularly worse, my friend and I took the stairs.

Our room had a great sea-view and the beds and furniture were new but the room itself appeared a little dated. There were two awful pictures hanging on the walls (again with gaudy blue picture frames) that had clearly faded over the years. They honestly add nothing to the room and would look better in the skip. There were big blue and black scuff marks up the 1980s-era bobbly-effect wallpaper where people had clearly caught their suitcases on the wall which made the room look even worse than it probably was.

There was a pretty modern Samsung flat-screen TV about the size of a computer monitor. Out of about 20 channels viewable, the only English-speaking one was BBC World News. This wasn’t a big problem to me as I don’t really watch TV on holiday but I appreciate that some people like to. The TV itself had splashes of paint on it where it had clearly not been covered up whilst the room it was sitting in (I’m guessing it wasn’t the hotel room that I am currently describing) was decorated.

The air conditioning was fully functional though the controls were a bit Cold-War era but I can’t complain about its performance. Incidentally, we were given a Complimentary Room on our last day to wash and freshen up in (more on that later) and the air conditioning in that room was far inferior to ours, so for that I am thankful.

The bathroom looked like someone had ATTEMPTED to carry out some modification however it appeared they had got the maids to do the tiling. Generally clean and to an acceptable standard though. Take your own bathplug if you like to have a bath – I noticed ours was missing.

You get a safe in your room but unlike other RIU hotels I’ve stayed at, you have to pay for the privilege of using this one which feels like a bit of a rip off considering I’ve never paid for one at a RIU hotel before. We were quoted 2.60euros a day. As I could lift the safe clean off the shelf, I decided to guard my passport and money through a combination of ingenious hiding places and simply carrying said items around with me. I am not recommending this.

Upon settling down for my first night’s sleep, I noticed the door to the room had a gap of about 2cm all the way around it letting the light from the corridor in. I didn’t like this.

The next morning we were awoken by people slamming doors, bellowing at each other and generally behaving in an unsociable manner. One would be forgiven for thinking that teenagers and young adults were to blame for this but I found the biggest nuisances to be parents with young children. It really is noisy as people get up to start their day and come back in the evening.

The hotel has a ‘no reserving sun lounger’. I did not discover this until a few days in where I had placed our towels on the sun loungers, gone off to breakfast and returned to find my towels missing and a laminated note in their place advising that sun loungers were not to be reserved and I could retrieve my towels from the hotel reception. This was not a problem from my point of view. There were plenty of sun loungers available – bear in mind you can use the loungers by the pool at the Cypria Bay – and they are placed all around the grounds right down to the beach and on to the jetty in the sea.

Generally, every day’s routine was the same. We’d get up and usually have missed breakfast. This was sometimes intentional and sometimes accidental. The food was cooked fresh in front of you but it still wasn’t great quality. Everything tasted a bit bland. Bizarrely, the salad was absolutely delicious with whatever fresh meat they were cooking in front of you. I once made it down to breakfast and tried the bacon. Not only was it swimming in grease but there was a big hair on it. I didn’t finish my breakfast. That thought still turns my stomach now. Complaining about it only fell on deaf ears as they could do nothing more than apologise.

We got a bit bored of the evening meals on offer at the hotel and so ate out on a few occasions. As you leave the hotel, there are a series of new developments comprising shops, restaurants, bars and cafes etc. I would highly recommend the Mexican restaurant called Poco Loco and the Chinese called The Royal Jasmin. Cyprus is every bit as expensive as you will have heard: eating out for the two of us generally cost between 50-60euros we only ever had two courses with one bottle of wine.

Paphos town itself provides a choice of both independent restaurants and fast food chains including KFC, McDonalds and Subway. Though I generally try to avoid these places on holiday (I’m not saying I’m anti-consumerism, I just try to experiment more on holiday) I was really tempted to venture into one as the staff that stand in the street trying to get you in to their establishments could be really persistent and got really shirty when you politely told them to do one after telling them ‘no thanks’ five times in a row. I’m guessing this was especially bad due to Cyprus struggling under the economic conditions.

We went parasailing towards the end of our holiday. I would implore you to avoid using the company that resides at the back of the Maris. They are called San Antonio Watersports and their attitude is appalling. Simple enquiries to the woman running the racket with regards to costs and availability were met with sarcastic answers, some nonsense about the direction of the wind and the general impression that she did not care and had better things to be getting on with. We took a walk further up the beach to a company simply called ‘Jim’s’. Their attitude wasn’t much better: you have to walk across quite a large patch of open space to get to the shack from which they operate and there were generally five young males hanging about. As you approach and they see you coming they all suddenly find something else to do rather than deal with you. Though the chap who (reluctantly) spoke to us was quite polite, he wasn’t much use. He told us to come back in an hour. We did this only to be told that the guy who drove the boat hadn’t turned up - quite bizarre by all accounts. He then had the nerve to ask us when we’d like to do our parasailing. I advised that we were going to continue up the beach as we’d already wasted enough time with him. Again, he didn’t seem to care and got back to topping up his tan. The next one along is a company called ‘Nic’s’ (there are signs on the main road near the Japanese restaurant for it). These chaps were much, much better - really cheerful, really polite and were thankful of our custom. He quoted us 60euros for a trip for two (where you both go up in the air the same time) but without too much persuasion he agreed to do it for 50euros. The boat itself is driven by one of Nic’s colleagues (I’m guessing it was Nic we were dealing with – I didn’t catch his name but he appeared to run things) and his young helper. Both of the chaps were really polite and took photos of us on my digital camera whilst on the boat, ascending, up in the air and descending. You get about fifteen minutes in the air though it feels much longer and you go much higher thank you would think. Towards the end of ‘flight’, they have a trick of letting you slowly drop towards the water and just as your toes dip in they rev the boat up to full speed and launch you back in the air. Hope I haven’t spoilt that surprise for anyone. I would recommend you try this but remember – use Nic’s as the other two are not worthy of your custom.

*Update - ‘Jim’s’ was recently featured on a ‘Beware-of-Holiday-Scam’ type programme on BBC1 for their appalling breach of safety regulations.

Paphos itself is a glorious harbour town. You will get pestered by people giving out scratch cards. I felt a bit intimidated and I normally don’t let anything like that bother me but they were so persistent By the end I was just really angry and told them where to go and you should do the same! They would walk into your path and ask you open questions like ‘Where are you from?’ and ‘What hotel are you staying in?’. It got to the point where you literally had to turn your back on them or walk around them. They were always British. DO NOT engage them in conversation. As soon as you see that they’ve clocked you, just say ‘no thanks’ and ignore whatever it is they have to say. They should be used to it by now.

Paphos has a Peacocks, Next and Debenhams if you’re into that sort of thing. We had a look in for a pair of socks for my partner for the flight home. Everything was generally really expensive and to be honest a bit naff. There was none of the branded stuff you’d expect to see at home.

Though the Maris probably just scrapes by in its requirements to attain a four star standard, this hotel is certainly NOT of four star quality you would expect and certainly not up to RIU’s usually high standards and anyone that says otherwise is lying. I have stayed in far superior three star hotels that put this to shame. If you want to know what a REAL four star hotel is like, go next door to the Cypria Bay though I warn you that you will feel cheated when you see it.

I felt a bit of a fool as when booking our holiday as I had convinced my travelling partner that the RIU is of unrivalled quality and that we should stay there. In my opinion, the Maris is a blot on an otherwise good quality chain of hotels.

Don’t get me wrong – there were some good points:

- The staff were extremely polite, helpful and knowledgeable.

- The food was clearly fresh and plentiful if a little bland throughout our stay.

- There was always a sun lounger available.

- There was always somewhere to sit to have a drink.

- You can use all the facilities at the Cypria Bay next door but doing so just makes you wish you’d booked to stay there instead.

But that’s pretty much it I’m afraid.

It’s fair to say I was disappointed with my stay. Cyprus itself and particularly Paphos are glorious places to visit but just make sure you don’t set yourself up for disappointment by staying at the Maris. Book any other hotel in the area: the Cypria Bay, the Royal Athena, the Alexander the Great, Phaethon (pronounced ‘Firethon’) Beach Hotel, Iberostar Ledra Beach and the Aliathon Holiday Village all appeared to be of far higher quality than the Maris and within about two minutes walk. I didn’t even stay at any of places just mentioned but would recommend staying at them over the Maris simply based on me peering in through the glass and feeling sad and jealous at how much better it looked than my hotel.

I hope this review has helped; I’ve tried to be as detailed as I can and recalled all the things I discovered for myself that other reviews did not cover. I’ve been as honest as I can.

• Travel date: Fri 17th of September 2010

my friends wedding

Reviewed Thu 9th of September 2010

"Having got married in Cyprus myself, we went back two years later for my friends wedding last october,we stayed for two weeks.
I thought the hotel was excellent very clean and tidy and the food was fab. Entertainment at night not so good, unless you went to the sister hotel next door (Bay). The pool was great and the location perfect as its beach front. All the staff were helpfull and very polite. Couldnt fault anything appart from the shower/changing rooms on the ground floor they didnt smell too nice at all. My friends wedding was fab they set up a lovly gazebo out of the way of the other hotel guests.I would certainly stay here again, but i was a little put off after my daughters Disney Gforce t-shirt went missing one day after our room had been cleaned. "

• Travel date: Mon 6th of September 2010

Hotels near SENTIDO Cypria Bay by Leonardo Hotels

Stayed at SENTIDO Cypria Bay by Leonardo Hotels? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for SENTIDO Cypria Bay by Leonardo Hotels

• hagan1 by hagan1

"lots of nice places around the harbour "

• pelling by pelling

"a pleasant place to spend a holiday "

• tomdiggerman by tomdiggerman

"The Rib Shack, great food, great service and good value for money, premises very clean! "

• excellent staff by excellent staff

"relaxed, safe for families and very friendly people "

• excellent staff by excellent staff

"chinese opp hotel, not pricey, wonderful food and staff "

• Cyprus1990 by Cyprus1990

"Lovely Area, Great For Couples :) "

• Cyprus1990 by Cyprus1990

"The Sea Our Room Overlooked Was Beautiful! "

• MickyLin by MickyLin

"Vasilias was best restaurant by a mile, little way out but what a meal. "

• sammyj26 by sammyj26

"go to lara beach haha its like something out of the film wolf creek - you may not come out alive! "

• broadway120 by broadway120

"Go inclusive. Its very expensive otherwise. "

• lollycat by lollycat

"The down turn in tourism has meant many shops and bars are closing early in the year. "

• the moorings by the moorings

"great choice of restaurants in town "

• DANDAN65 by DANDAN65

"Only ate at the hotel, would recommend most of the trips which your rep. will give you. i.e. Troodo "

• kayshaw by kayshaw

"Grazie Italian, Gabor the French resteraunt. "

• hoj by hoj

"Loved Paphos would go again and especially to this hotel "

• wiggsy by wiggsy

"Would seriously consider returning "

• benjdsmith by benjdsmith

"Absolutely phenomenal for weddings!! Brilliant!! "

• donza35 by donza35

"lovely relaxing, sunny hotel. "

• teejay1 by teejay1

"lovey,fab place why not book now ... "

• the parkers by the parkers

"very poor for the cost of the holiday "

SENTIDO Cypria Bay by Leonardo Hotels is also called