wedding

Reviewed Tue 26th of April 2011

"We booked our wedding with Howard Travel and they used olympic holidays to oversea our wedding in Cyprus (April 2011). We found them very helpful and we knew our wedding was in safe hands. We chose the Amathus Beach from looking at wedding brochure's given to us buy Howaerd Travel, everything in the pictures looked fantastic and when we arrived we were not disappointed. As soon as we got to the hotel we had welcome drinks for us and our 2 young children.
As we arrived late we had a olypic wedding planner meet with us the next day and arranged everything we needed to do for the wedding day, we also met with the catering manager at the hotel to discuss food and venue.The hotel did everything we asked for and more. The whole hotel is amazing from the staff to the food and the hotel itself. I know the hotel is expensive but its money well spent! We had a fantastic and memorable day thanks to Alison (from olympic holidays) and the staff at Amathus beach. We couldn't have asked for anything better on our special day and its all thanks to them. We will be returning one day soon. Its a great place to start married life! "

• Travel date: Thu 21st of April 2011

Planning My Wedding

Reviewed Mon 15th of November 2010

"When arranging my wedding I spent over a year looking through the internet and pickling the prefect place. The Amathus Beach Hotel Paphos was the place that my partner and I booked through Thomas Wedding; we booked just over a year before and agreed on the date 17th June 2011 and venue for the Ceremony to be in the hotel gardens. In September 2010 we went on hotel to Paphos staying at a different hotel for 2 weeks with the aim to full arrange the wedding so that we did not have to worry about any plans for the big day the closer the time came. We meet your Thomson wedding planner at the Amathus who was only interested in selling us stuff; we picked the reception venue which was also in the hotel the Orangery Terrace. The wedding planner got the venue confirmed with the hotel and we left the island believing that everything was arranged. In October I was contacted by letter for the hotel looking for a deposit for the venues we had picked. I called the hotel direct in Cyprus and paid the deposit. At the point my partner and I thought that all the wedding was full arrange and booked. A few weeks later I got a call from the hotel to say they have made a mistake and double booked my reception, and my lonely choice was to change dates. At this point we had 30 members of our family and friends booked, after 2 weeks of negotiating with the hotel and trying to get my wedding planner to support me, I had no option other than to change my date. my wedding date is now booked for 16th June 2011 10 people in our party dose not arrive to the early morning of the 16th, I am really not looking forward to my big day now as much as I was before as I will not have my mum, dad, maid of owner or our best man there to help us prepare and organising last minute thing. My partner and I will have to share a room the night before which we had planned not to. Wish I had booked with a local wedding planner on the island and choice another hotel."

• Travel date: Mon 15th of November 2010

Quality and luxury

Reviewed Tue 1st of June 2010

"On our recent visit to this hotel we were pleased that the Management and staff ensured that this is the perfect spot to completely relax and chill out, nothing was too much trouble. All the restaurants had wonderful cuisine with a different theme on most evenings. The outdoor Italian restaurant was really superb for food,service and atmosphere. The bedrooms are very well appointed and the lawns,pool area and beach are spacious and very well presented. No doubt that we shall be returning to this lovely hotel. "

• Travel date: Fri 28th of May 2010

amathus amazing

Reviewed Fri 19th of June 2009

"My husband and I got married on the hotel gardens in june. the wedding day itself was perfect. the organisation at the hotel for the wedding was first class.i booked it all directly with the hotel myself (wouldnt recommend using tour operator for this as you can get definite dates and times whereas they say they cannot until arrival-they booked ours for the day beofre we were due to come home-so lucky i did it myself. on the wedding day we enjoyed a cocktail recpetion in the nubar and an evening recpetion on the orangery terrace overlooking the sea. absolutley perfect. the food and service fabulous!

the hotel itself is first class. better than 5 star! very clean, the staff very friendly and helpful and the food brilliant.the pool very nice and the surroundings overlooking the sea amazing. we struggled to find a fault with the hotel at all. the only slight downside was the beach. not the best sand wise as it was quite gravely and a few rocks in the sea to avoid but we used the sunbeds on he edge of the hotel gardens overlooking the sea so had best of both worlds- the sea and pool.

only one warning is the price of the drinks! almost 5 euros for half a local beer.but do not let that put you off a totally amazing hotel and paphos is great!

• Travel date: Thu 18th of June 2009

We were originally staying at The Annabe...

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2007

"We were originally staying at The Annabel Hotel which was very nice although it mainly catered for the older generation. We have two children aged 5 and 6 and when we arrived, we found the kid's club to be closed.

Due to this, we asked to be moved and we were very lucky to be transferred to the Amathus. This is a 1st class hotel with excellent service and facilities. The outside gardens and pool area were lovely and the 4 restaurants were excellent. The only downside was the beach. The kids club was also a little basic although our kids did enjoy it. It only runs for about 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon (excluding all day Wednesdays and Saturday afternoons) - the programme was not very exciting, especially for over 7's.

The harbour close by is worth a visit. The hotel is situated on a road with English bars, The body Shop, Dorothy Perkins, McDonalds, etc. which may put a number of people off this hotel. It didn't bother us as we spent most of our time in the hotel or in a hired car.

Overall, a great hotel and would definitely recommend."

• Travel date: Tue 23rd of October 2007

Not That Good!

Reviewed Thu 15th of November 2012

"Not THAT Good!

Ok, the hotel is nice, although not exactly what you expect from a 5star accommodation, especially if you have first seen the internet photos. We stayed from 15/08 for 7 nights.

The welcome drink we kept hearing about, is a small glass of juice, which you drink when you fill the check in forms. The reception staff is very polite.

We have chosen Sea & Pool view room, but we could only see the Pool if we were standing at the edge of the balcony, which is not very easy thing to do, considering that during August humidity reached 100% at night.

The food was perfect everywhere!! From breakfast till dinner you could enjoy it, in great variety… The restaurant staff is kind and helpful. Don’t believe the dress code… We did, and we ended up overdressed!

If you are looking for night life, go to another place!!! I could easily say maybe another city… In the hotel there is only one bar near the reception, with a very likable guy playing the piano and that’s it! OH! I shouldn’t forget the imitator of Elton John, who played one night and he was the only attraction!! Regarding Paphos, after a walk we had searching for a place to have a drink we came back to the hotel, since the piano bar was more interesting!!.. Unless you are fond of pizza restaurants, which are at the same times, karaoke bars and cafeterias…

There is one thing though, which will be unforgettable about this hotel: THE HUNTING OF THE DECK-CHAIR!!! My husband was up from 7.45 to find a deck-chair, and we usually managed to find the last two!!! We were so curious of what is going on that we though of staying up all night to watch… Don’t even think about sea…it is bad and full of seaweeds.

In closing, even if you go prepared that it is an expensive hotel, be ready for your BILL… (And note that we also had paid for Half Board). This is the reason that the Paphos Amathus does not support at all, the value for money relationship! If someone wish to spend this amount, or even less for 5stars, can travel to Greece, Dubai, Spain, Thailand and many many other places…

Thank you for reading me!"

• Travel date: Mon 18th of September 2006

Treated wonderfully for honeymooners/wedding guest

Reviewed Fri 9th of November 2012

"Stayed here as part of our wedding package/honeymoon. We were checked in quickly, on arrival there was a half bottle of wine, some sandwiches and a lovely fruit bowl (which was topped up over the fortnight)

Rooms were spacious, view of the sea was lovely. Very clean bathroom and room.

Breakfast was good and staff were very attentive.

Nothing is too much trouble at this hotel.

We were given a free cake on the day of our wedding and an area cordoned off for us and our guests.

I would recommend this hotel to honeymooners and for couples getting married in Cyprus"

• Travel date: Thu 14th of September 2006

Good but not great

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"We have just spent 7 nights at the Paphos and had a very relaxing and enjoyable holiday spent not doing much other than relaxing by the pool.

I would re-iterate what some of the other reviews say. The communal hotel areas in particular the pool are really great and a very high standard. The pool is one of the cleanest I have ever seen and we never had a problem finding somewhere to sit and there was always someone to help move the parasol or get you a drink.

The rooms however in my opinion are more that of a 4 star hotel and not a leading hotel of the world, the decor was quite dated.

We ate in the hotel on our first night and it was nice but expensive. But if you turn right out of the hotel there is a little row of excellent restaurants (Castallinis, Orleander, Bombay) which were reasonable and of a good standard.

To sum up I would say great for a nice relaxing holiday but if you are looking for something extra special for a special occassion you could be disappointed."

• Travel date: Sun 3rd of September 2006

Good 5 Star not a LHOTW

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"The hotel grounds are lovely, the staff excellent. The food.....its not great to be paying approx £25 per head for a buffet - but the a la carte food is great. The downside is that the a la carte is served in a 'bingo hall' style restaurant complete with a terrible 'panpipes' keyboard player! The drinks are pricey - as to be expected really - but the cocktails are very good indeed.
The pool is great and there is a brilliant beach type area - far better than most in Paphos, complete with very attentive waiters and pool attendants, desperate to help move your beds/umbrellas etc!
The rooms are large and comfortable and as honeymooners we were well looked after with various freebies. The rooms have been recently refurbished but I fear that they may have wasted their money as they are not as tasteful as hoped - I am struggling to understand how this has been classed as one of the leading hotels of the world.

Thankfully the hotel is nearby to a few restaurants so that a good value and excellent quality meal can be had at the nearby Gabor (turn right out of the hotel and its about 200yards on the right), and a fantastic Indian resturant is in the same complex."

• Travel date: Tue 29th of August 2006

Very good Hotel....

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"Good location, on beach and away from the rest of tacky Paphos. Is tranquility on the edge of a hectic and noisy resort.

We went to Paphos purely because of a friends wedding, in St Georges church which was really beautiful, perfect setting actually. However, thats not to say Cyprus is my favourite place. Not too keen on all the Karaoke bars and fast food joints...Anyway this is my quick analysis of the Amathus. Hope it helps....

ROOMS: are modern, spacious and clean.

RESTAURANTS: Restaurants had good food, although quite slow service and entertainment most nights.

POOL area is excellent, so clean and spacious and the staff are constantly attentive with drinks and cold flannels etc.

OVERALL APPEARANCE of Hotel Amathus is excellent, very welcoming layout and spacious with nice indoor waterfalls etc.

THE SPA is brilliant, you must have one of the facials or massages !

DOWNSIDE The only downside to the hotel itself is that we found they closed the main restaurant off for a couple of nights due to 'private functions' and 1 of them being a wedding where over 200 locals attended and literally took over the hotel grounds, inside and out.

CONCLUSION Overall the Hotel is very good, if ever we went back to Cyprus we would def stay at the Amathus."

• Travel date: Mon 7th of August 2006

Good hotel....fabulous staff

Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"We have just returned from an 11-night break at the Amathus and have to say it was just the type of holiday we were looking for.

The service from all staff was absolutely fantastic.... never once did we have to think about anything. The pool attendants appeared from nowhere and were extremely helpful, the pool / beach side waitresses / waiters were always ready to take your order and each morning we were greeted with a smile at breakfast (even if sometimes we were a little late!)

We were on B&B basis and only ate breakfast and lunch at the hotel. The breakfast selection was top class and was constantly being checked and refreshed no matter what the time was. Lunch we found a little limiting however in the late morning heat food for us really wasn't a priority.

Even though leaflets were left in the room-advising guests of the various restaurants in the hotel we found them a little confusing. Reading one of the other reviews we obviously missed out on some fantastic food. Better notices or signs maybe a good idea. This applies to the snack bars for lunch; weren’t sure where we could eat or the dress code so stuck with the poolside bar.

Had a treatment in the Spa and have to say I was very disappointed. I could have given myself a better facial in my room. The lights were too bright, towels damp and even though the treatment was for 30 mins was in and out within 20. To top the experience, whilst I was trying to relax someone was vacuuming outside the room. This is the only criticism I have of the hotel.

Quality of food in Paphos we found over priced and not great (far too much frozen fish on offer). However if you turn right out of the hotel there are a few restaurants that are certainly worth a visit.... especially the Indian. The resort town was a little dated in our opinion and even though there were lots of bars, they didn't cater for our age group (30-35 / no kids!).

We did notice that there is a disused factory next to the hotel that is ready for development and fences were being erected around the site. Not sure when the work is planned to start but could cause from noise and dust.

Overall top marks for this hotel. We were looking for a relaxing break in a 5* hotel and that's exactly what we got.

To summarise: the pool was fantastic, staff brilliant, facilities for kids seems first class, breakfast selection 5* and the amount of sun beds available best ever."

• Travel date: Mon 17th of July 2006

Gorgeous Hotel & Hot Pool Staff!!

Reviewed Fri 12th of October 2012

"I came to the amathus beach with a friend, both of us were 18 at the time and went as a celebration after our A levels. and what can I say otherthan we had an absolutely AMAZING time!!!
We arrived and instantly felt like we were living the high life as we were warming greeted and offered ice cold towels and a fruit cocktail! we were then escorted to our twin room by a very helpful and cute attendent - peter! our room was absolutely beautiful with a great view of the pool and sea!
The pool area and gardens has to be the most prominant feature of the hotel and we spent everyday lazing about in the sun and seeing all the hot pool staff!! they were all very friendly and we got to know quite a few of them personally; georgie, carlos, matt, miltos, jakie and hales. each night after they finished their shifts we all went out for a night on the town and we can truely recommend night life in paphos down on the strip! start off in a cheesy themed or kareooke bar and then at arounf 12pm the clubs open and you can dance the night away - our personal favourite was starsky and hutches!! however, girls be warned cypriot men are very very forward!! so watch out for that! but all in all we had alot of laughs!
The restaurants in the hotel were also very good, we particularly liked la terezza which was situated outside and was an italian style buffet with very tasty food. there are also many good restaurants just either side of the hotel including and italian just to the right which had the freshest pasta you will ever taste!! and very cute waiter staff!! also we would recommend venturing into paphos town and harbour where the nights are livlier and a good selection of bars and restaurants!
our only criticism would be that there is no entertainment in the hotel at night, there is a pianist in the bar for a couple hours but that is it, perhaps there could of been more organised entertainment in the hotel in the evenings? however, we did venture out every evening to hit the clubs!!
we would definatley go back and the weather is faboulous we both got extremely deep tans withtin days!! just make sure you pack plenty of sunscreen!!
Would definaltely recommend!!"

• Travel date: Sat 15th of July 2006

Hotels near Olympic Lagoon Resort Paphos

Stayed at Olympic Lagoon Resort Paphos? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Olympic Lagoon Resort Paphos