I don’t think we will ever go back to...

Reviewed Thu 30th of June 2005

"I don’t think we will ever go back to this hotel. The rooms looked to me as if they were in need of some TLC. I thought the bathroom needed completely ripping out and if the air-conditioning worked in our room I never noticed it.

If you have young kids be very careful because the area around the pool was very slippery and all of us fell at some point during the holiday. The floors in the downstairs toilets behind the pool bar area always seemed to be wet (even though there was always a cleaning person there) and my 6-year-old slipped and banged his head.

The drinks service on an evening was very hit and miss. Even if they took your order and wrote it down a lot of the time it came back wrong. Also In the evening you could be waiting quite a while to get served.

The dining experience was a bit like going to your mums for dinner, you know it''s edible but not very exciting. Another strange thing is that the hotel insists on gents wearing long trousers for dinner...very posh except that jeans tracksuits/shell suits all seem to count as trousers but three quarter length trousers do not. During the day many people seemed to prefer football shirts around the pool so don’t forget to pack yours before you go....... tattoo’s also seemed quite popular with a lot of guests.

Whilst we were there, In the evening people actually queued up for bingo whilst groups of older kids 11-14ish seemed to run wild around the hotel messing about in the lifts etc.

One day we went into Paphos. This seemed to consist of souvenir shops and restaurants…..'You come in here for full English breakfast' type of thing.

Enjoy.

• Travel date: Thu 30th of June 2005

My Husband and I went to this hotel for...

Reviewed Tue 1st of March 2005

"My Husband and I went to this hotel for Easter 2005 with our 2 children aged 7 and 5. First impressions of the hotel was good - reception was welcoming and clean staff spoke very good English.

Our room was on the second floor a little on the small side but very clean.

We choose this hotel mainly for the indoor pool as the weather can be a bit unpredictable at that time of the year.- the Jacuzzi and sauna areas were a bonus! We didn’t need to worry as the weather was beautiful although it was nice to be able to use the indoor facilities as the out door pool was very cold!

There was however a public holiday on 25 March while we were there so we were overrun by Cypriots but it really wasn’t a problem.

Bex, who really enjoyed her job, very well ran the kids club and our children loved her. The activities were well organised and certificates were awarded for achievements!

We were almost the only 1/2 board family in the hotel - everyone else was all-inclusive. It was possible to upgrade but we felt it wasn’t necessary as the breakfast and evening meal was sufficient to keep us going all day! The food was fantastic - plentiful and varied. Our children can be fussy eaters but always found something to eat every night. Vegetarians are also very well catered for.

The entertainment was ok - the mini kids club was great but there are only so many times during the holiday you can get enthusiastic about agadoo!

The only slight downside about the hotel is its location - it is a long walk from anywhere but taxis are plentiful and the buses to Paphos are regular and pick up or drop off right by the hotel. There is a small shop on site, which can be a bit expensive and doesn’t sell drinks - the supermarket about 20 mins walk towards Paphos was well stocked and a lot cheaper.

One criticism was that the first choice rep didn’t come to the hotel unless you rang her - which was a little annoying and also the welcome meeting was in a different hotel. It may be because we were at the hotel off season.

Overall we had a truly wonderful relaxing holiday and would go back to this hotel again if given the choice!"

• Travel date: Tue 1st of March 2005

What can I say, this hotel is ideal for...

Reviewed Mon 1st of November 2004

"What can I say, this hotel is ideal for families.

The food was extremely good and drinks were great. The all-inclusive option was definitely the best way to go. The rooms were cleaned everyday and were big enough for a family of four.

The hotel itself was very clean and the staff were very friendly and helped in every way they could. The children’s club was good and the daytime entertainment was very good for all the family.

Paphos was a lovely place, very relaxed and lots to do around the area for all the family."

• Travel date: Mon 1st of November 2004

This was the most disappointing holiday...

Reviewed Tue 31st of August 2004

"This was the most disappointing holiday I have ever been on. If your idea of a fun week or two is spending time squashed around a dirty swimming pool with people who smoke, swear and have little regard for young children then this is the holiday for you.

We were sold the holiday as a 4 star resort but it would be lucky to rate a 3 star in my eyes. The food is boring and bland, the swimming pool is dirty and the tiles around the pool are highly dangerous. One child had to go to the local hospital to have her head scanned as she had fallen and numerous people slipped each day. The children’s club run by Thomson's is a joke, the reps looked like they couldn't be bothered to look after the children and I can't say I was overly confident in leaving my daughter with them. There is a club run by the hotel which appears much better, at least the rep looked like she actually liked children.

The brochure makes a total misrepresentation with regards to the beach - there isn’t one so if it is a beach holiday you are looking for, please don’t go to this hotel.

The rooms for 2 adults and one child are tiny, they may be ok for just 2 adults but not for 3. I believe that if there are more children a slightly larger room is allocated but we didn’t get to see them. Also, I would expect the rooms to be cleaned each day not 6 days a week.

All in all the holiday was a total disappointment and I certainly wouldn’t recommend this hotel to anyone."

• Travel date: Tue 31st of August 2004

This hotel is fantastic! I went for 2 w...

Reviewed Wed 30th of June 2004

"This hotel is fantastic! I went for 2 weeks with my husband and children, aged 7 & 5.

On arrival the check in was speedy and because we had arrived in the evening and missed dinner, the hotel had provided sandwiches, fruit and drinks in our room.

The rooms are bright and plenty big enough for 4. I was expecting bunk beds for the kids but the room had a king size bed and two single beds. There was plenty of wardrobe space and the maids cleaned the rooms 6 days a week.

The quality of the food and drink was the best I have seen for an all inclusive hotel. The cocktails and Baileys were particularly welcome! The restaurant had plenty of choice with themed nights, such as Chinese, Indian, the good old roast beef and Yorkshire Pudding. These were in addition to the usual good selection of food. The children had their own buffet with limited choices. The snack bar by the pool had a lovely selection of salads and about five different main courses each day.

The Atrium bar, in the reception, is waiter service, the staff are friendly and efficient. Most of them are from Eastern Europe. The pool bar is self service for soft drinks, beer, tea and coffee. If you wanted anything stronger you had to get it from the barman.

The pool was kept clean generally although it was a bit on the cloudy side one day. There are plenty sunbeds for everyone.

The animation staff do a great job organising activities morning, afternoon and evening.

The kids clubs were popular but I didn’t have any trouble getting the children in. The evening sessions ran 3 times a week which allowed the adults to have a quiet meal.

There was entertainment on in the nightclub every evening, starting with the mini-disco, followed by bingo, some sort of show, then a disco till midnight.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone with a young family."

• Travel date: Wed 30th of June 2004

This is the third year on the trot at th...

Reviewed Wed 30th of June 2004

"This is the third year on the trot at this hotel since we have all had such a good time. And we met quite a few people from the previous years so it makes for a nice relaxed holiday.

The hotel is clean, rooms are ok for 3 but probably a squash with anymore, the staff are polite and very helpful.

The food is excellent with some thing different every night as well as the usual, roast beef and Yorkshire pud better than some we have had in the UK!

my son is 10 and went to the Thompson club first year and didn’t like it but joined in the teenagers animation run clubs for the past two years and has had a great time. There is plenty to do if you are sporty or like to join in games during the day, my husband looks forward to a game of football every afternoon. The beach is non-existent so either stay round the pool or a short walk round the headland there is a nice bay outside the hotel next door (the pioneer I think). This year the pool was dirty but was treated after a couple of days and was fine after that.

Evening entertainment is poor mostly done by the animation team, but you can go out for a walk or into town. The bus stops right outside the hotel and any distance is 50p, I would say it is too far to walk for most people especially in the heat of the day. we thought the car hire was fairly cheap and they drive on our side which always a bonus!

Tomb of the kings is worth a visit but take plenty of water as there isn’t much shade.

The diving is ok but wasn’t too sure about the school that came to the hotel this year would probably go with someone else next time.

will probably go again but haven’t book as the husband is 40 this time so said I would book somewhere special otherwise we would probably be there again!"

• Travel date: Wed 30th of June 2004

Hotel staff excellent, food excellent -...

Reviewed Thu 1st of January 2004

"Hotel staff excellent, food excellent - on an All Inclusive basis, you tend to use the facility and end up gaining weight, but who cares. You have a choice of drinks at the meal times, it is all laid out and you just help yourself. When I have been on All Inclusive before, you tend to only get allowed one drink with your meal, but not here.

Near to centre of town - A bus picks up outside the hotel to go in to town, and the market, a journey of 5 minutes to town, and 10-15minutes to the market. The market being at the bus terminus, so no need to worry about carrying goods around to try and find a bus stop. The market is undercover.

Hotel has a night club, but contrary to popular belief you cannot hear the noise.

Shopping arcade within the hotel, an Opticians, where the specs are cheaper than the UK. A jewellers, a car hire shop, a clothes shop, a newsagents also selling beach items, and souvenirs.

Rooms and corridors carpeted throughout. Hotel right on beach as title suggests, plenty of entertainment at the hotel, for all ages. Highly recommended, and would stay there again.

• Travel date: Thu 1st of January 2004

We chose this hotel, because we liked th...

Reviewed Thu 1st of January 2004

"We chose this hotel, because we liked the reports on it in the brochure, and they were not wrong. An excellent choice. The hotel staff must have been trained in excellence. Nothing was too much trouble. There were 5 bars at the hotel, a cafeteria, shops, - Optician, (it is cheaper than the UK to get your eyes tested in Cyprus, and to buy your specs) jewellers, car hire, newspapers, gifts, clothes.

A gym & an indoor swimming pool. It also has it’s own nightclub, and I have to admit you cannot hear it anywhere, away from it. Entertainment consisted of a few games of bingo for about half an hour, at the bar in reception area, and then they would announce what family entertainment would be on at the nightclub.

We were on an all-inclusive basis, and the food was exceptional. There was an area set aside every night for either BBQ food, Spanish food, Italian, Pizza night, this was in addition to the main menu. The starters and desserts were very varied, so you just did not get fed up with repetitive menus. The drinks were all laid out at the entrance, so you just took what you wanted. You were not limited to how many you had. There was a selection of drinks for the children, as well as the wines and beers.

The reps notice board, had all the information you needed, including what weather to expect, and temperature. The floors are carpeted throughout, so no noise along corridors, or from above. The hotel is on a main road, almost opposite the water park, and buses stop right outside. Fares 50p to go to the market. I have to say I couldn’t walk to the market, A) because it is uphill, and I am disabled, and B) because it is about a 15 minute bus ride. However, the market is at the bus terminal, so if you have bought lots of shopping, then you don’t have to walk far for the return journey.

The market is undercover, and it is not the usual touristy goods, very varied, and some good buys. The Tombs of the Kings is in Paphos, and is worth a visit, as are the mosaics. Would I go back to this hotel? Of course I would, I would highly recommend it. It is a hotel for all the family, as well as pensioners like us."

• Travel date: Thu 1st of January 2004

We chose this holiday last year as we wa...

Reviewed Thu 31st of July 2003

"We chose this holiday last year as we wanted all inclusive, to go "somewhere that wasn’t Spain" but with not too long a flight as we have reasonably young children and that had rooms big enough for all 4 of us to be accommodated together, a kids club and a large pool. Sounds easy enough to find but in reality very few hotels seem to have enough family rooms once the kids are out of cots. The Louis Phaethon Beach Hotel in Pathos fitted the bill perfectly. So much so that we are going back again this year, which is something we have never done before with other hotels.

The food was great (too good - we all put on loads of weight!) with the option of lunch either by the pool or in the more formal restaurant. There were also never ending "free" ice creams - which several children (others included) soon discovered could be taken in plastic cups not just cornets (so getting twice as much each time!).

Only complaints were that the kids club got very busy and sometimes was fully booked - but the operated a waiting list / definitely get in next session - and the Chocolate Challenge was a big hit!! Also the hotel is some way from the main town but the bus runs from just outside and as long as you don’t travel at lunch time is fairly regular - every 15 mins. Car hire is a bit pricey though.

We had a really good holiday - mind you that could be because the sun shone every day!!!!

• Travel date: Thu 31st of July 2003

This was our honeymoon and without a dou...

Reviewed Wed 30th of April 2003

"This was our honeymoon and without a doubt it could have not been better. It was the first time we have been full board so were a little bit concered about what the food would be like but found it ot be very fresh,a wide range and preparedserved to very high standard.

The room was fully air conditioned and very clean as was the pool and pool side bar which provided food and drinks throug out the day.

We are looking to go back again later this year."

• Travel date: Wed 30th of April 2003

Overall the hotel was superb. There was...

Reviewed Wed 31st of July 2002

"Overall the hotel was superb. There was limited amount of space for a family of 5 in a room - including 2 single beds, bunk beds and cot.

The location of the hotel itself was at the end of the resort, a lengthy bus ride from the centre.

Staff at the hotel were extremely helpful and the standard of service 1st class. There was a variety of food to chose from both at a lunch and evening meal, this was excellent (partcularly as we were all-inclusive), it was like home from home.

Would not hesitate to book a family holiday at this hotel again."

• Travel date: Wed 31st of July 2002