Crown Resorts Horizon

Coral Bay Avenue PO Box 62727, Paphos 8068 Cyprus

Not really 4 star

"My wife and I booked directly with the hotel a sea view room for 2 weeks from 7th November 2006.The hotel was spotlessly clean,not only in the public areas but also in the bedroom accommodation. All staff were extremely helpful and friendly but of course as the hotel only had about 25% occupancy they were not under any pressure.The maids certainly did an excellent job with very regular changes of bed linen and towels. Sadly in our opinion the hotel did not live up to a 4star standard in other respects The quality of the food in the restaurant was very poor to say the least. Breakfasts were disappointing in so far as eggs were not cooked to order which in our experience has been the norm in all hotels of this grade or better. On arrival we reserved the option of going half board for the duration of our stay but after one meal decided to remain on a bed and breakfast basis. Feedback from other guests on half board or all inclusive basis endorsed the view that we had made the right decision. Our main complaint relates to the parsimonious attitude of the management in the following areas.
1 Tea/coffee facilities were provided free on the first day but after that a daily charge of CYP£2 was made for what effectively was 2 teabags or packets.of Nescafe.
2 There was a hefty charge for use of the room safe.
3 Pool towels were available but each commanded a CYP£5 deposit and a 50cent laundering charge if and when replaced. For a family of four using the pool each day this would cost about £16 sterling a week.
4 The young entertainments officer whilst we were there had no luck in replacing broken equipment essential to his job such as a broken net for the table tennis table.
5 The nighttime entertainment programme was rubbish to put it mildly with only 2events worth attending in 2 weeks. Bingo seemed the mainstay but we were somewhat amused to see that the equipment was exactly the same as we use at home to entertain our grandchildren i.e. a £6 set obtainable from Woolworths.
6 The minibar was empty but subject to a minimum charge of some £10 this would be filled with pre-ordered bottles provided the order was placed by 4PM. Who knows in mid afternoon what they might like to drink in the late evening? In all other hotels the bar is fully stocked and your account is invoiced with the vavlue of what you take out.
The final annoying thing about this hotel was the message left in the room stating that the hotel was not a self catering establishment so it was forbidden to bring in any form of food or drink We discovered that smuggling goodies was very prevalent among guests whilst we were there.
The hotel is located in a good position for shops and restaurants and these we found to be excellent.
Overall we enjoyed a good holiday but the sun did shine every day so our gripes were put into perspective.
Finally it appears to us that this hotel is part of a local chain which is trying to keep up with the big boys. Hopefully if the management read these reports they will try to irradicate those things which will ensure that we do not return."

• Travel date: Tue 5th of December 2006

Very Impressed

Good

"Very impressive hotel. We arrived as a party of 4 adults and 2 young children and were well looked after with adjoining rooms. We booked on a bed and breakfast basis, which was best option as feedback on evening meals was poor (buffet style -only to be expected) Breakfast was great and staff very friendly. Cost £38 Cyp per room - great value. Hotel very clean and rooms spacious (go for sea view). Pool/spa facilities in basement are free to guests and very impressive with beauty treatments etc for the ladies.
Play area outside for kids great. The hotel is ideally situated for Coral bay beach and local restaurants/bars. (Coral King next to hotel was best overall). Resort not strictly in Paphos so car recommended to get around, but not esential as everything you need is nearby. Book directly with hotel for best rates."

• Travel date: Fri 17th of November 2006

ignore previous comments, a great hotel!

"Well I may be one of the few who book direct with the hotel - I would recommend this option. The people who seem dissatisfied seem to have booked through a tour operator who perhaps promised more!

I booked through the hotel website (more detailed pictures on Expedia) and got a free car rental with my stay. I chose to upgrade this to a larger car which guaranteed me A/C (although I know smaller cars did have A/C too). The car standards throughout Cyprus aren't great, but at free/cheap upgrade it is a bargain! This car also had a much larger engine, which is needed for the hills!

I was staying on my own and I found this hotel to be the perfect option. It is a very good location, right at the end of the road with all the restaurants on. You just go out the rear entrance (sort of like the main entrance) and the restaurants are there. For someone staying on their own it is very safe as everything is so near. Depsite what a previous person said, there are some lovely restuarants - you just have to experiment. My favourite was El Faro. The food was fabulous and the restaurant iteslf and the service was great too. Seriani was my 2nd favourite. However, there are about 20 places to eat on this small road, so you can find whatever you want. If you stick to local food options it will be cheap and great!

I had a car so I could get around whenever I wanted, but there is a bus stop just by the hotel that goes to Pafos very regularly & cheaply. It is also very heavily used and I would have used it, even travelling alone, but never needed to as there were enough places to eat in Coral Bay.

The Hotel I thought was excellent. I have stayed in 5* plus places (Mandarin Oriental in Hong Kong etc). Obviously this isn't that standard but it isn't pretending to. Too many people on this site are mixing 4 star with 5*. The pools (inside and out) are fabulous and whilst I was there, although the first week was crowded, you could always get a sun bed (although maybe in the garden not by the pool). In the second week there were loads free (7th - 21st October),

The rooms were beautiful and it is worth upgrading to a direct sea view. It really is beautiful, when I was there there were thunderstorms and you get a great view of lightening from miles away - just as great as sunsets!

I would agree that the food isn't great. I was on B&B and had the evening meal twice (first night and night of T-Storms). Actually v cheap for 3 courses, but you're better walking 100metres and going to a restuarant. You can eat cheaply and great! Breakfast is fine though and I never needed to buy lunch!

The staff and entetainment were great too. Especially good if you're travelling alone - gives you something else to do in the evening. There was a magician, cypriot dancers, 'Robbie Williams' ,casino night, 'Elvis' , quiz (which I compered!) and much more. Each night (for 2 weeks) it is different.

I think the standard of cleanliness is more like a 5star than a 4star hotel and the staff were very welcoming.

Families also seemed happy, with a kids playground and separate pool. Oh another thing, the parking was free and plentiful and in a separate large car park, so quite safe.

Something a previous guest hadn't understood is the minibar. Yes you have to pay for a minimum amount, but it is empty when you get there. You put in an order and they fill it with exactly what you want - fantastic!!!! So if you just want lots of wine, that's what you get!!!!

All in all, I recommend anyone to stay here."

• Travel date: Fri 10th of November 2006

Never again!

"I just wanted to post a brief honest review of this hotel and the resort of coral bay so that people of similar tastes as us don't make the same mistake in choosing this hotel. We booked a late availability (not a late deal!) at this hotel in October of this year. The hotel was graded by Thomsons as a 4T but the reality was that it wasn't even a good 3T. The pool area was very congested and there were limited public areas inside the hotel (bar etc.) and these weren't air conditioned!
The food was some of the worst that we have ever had in all of our years of travelling and this wasn't even worthy of a 2T. The quality and variety of the food was dreadful - we visited the Dining room on 3 occasions but only actually ate there once. We ate out (even though we had paid for half board) the rest of the holiday.
If like us, you are non smokers, this is definitely not the hotel for you!
Coral Bay may sound idyllic, but it is far from it - the beach is awful and the entertainment centre is basically one 'strip' of cheap and cheerful bars and restaurants with big screens for sporting fans and karaoke!
The weather was the only saving grace and it was consistently good all week. We only booked for 7 days and had we been offered another week for free, we would have declined!
If you are a discerning traveller, looking for a nice hotel in a nice location with authentic quality food and drink, this is definitely not for you! If you want Blackpool but with guaranteed sun, then this is for you!"

• Travel date: Sat 28th of October 2006

Lovley Hotel

Good

"Just returned from a weeks holiday at this hotel. We booked a last minute holiday and did not know what hotel we were going to.
When we arrived at the hotel the staff at reception were very nice.
The food was good but sometimes not very hot, i am vegetarian and there was plenty to choose from.
The staff were very pleasant and helpful.
The outdoor area and the pool was good with plenty of sun beds for every one. I would recommend this hotel and would like to go back again."

• Travel date: Wed 18th of October 2006

good hotel

"this hotel we stayed 7 nights 4 adults one being disabled we found every area to be exelently clean and comfortable the restraunt was 5*the food was good with plenty of choices my bed was hard when i mentioned to reception they provided us with a topping for the mattres which was comfortable ,the bedrooms were very comfortable.the acces for diabled was ok but rooms we had didnt have a walk in shower for wheel chair bound disabillitys, we did not need it but worthwhile checking before you go if they have that facility. the air condition in rooms were good but the main public areas didnt have it so it got quite warm at times we realy enjoyed our stay in this hotel . polly the rep was very nice and helpfull."

• Travel date: Wed 18th of October 2006

good quality hotel

Good

"we recently arrived back from a weeks holiday at the crown horizon resort. when we walked through reception, my family and i where impressed with the decor and and elgance of the hotel. the rooms though not very big where of the same standard.
we had booked the hotel independantly off the internet on all-inclusive package. we felt we had value for money as the service and food where fine, you do have to pay for some extras such as tea and coffee in your room everyday and milkshakes for the kids even though ice cream and milk is free.
you could eat indoors or alfresco if you prefered, the menu was based on a different theme every night and we found this to suite me and my family, but with all inclusive, i feel you get a bit bored with it. so there r plent of resturants outside the garden of the hotel for a change.
the hotel staff where very helpful and friendly and im already looking to return next year.
my only complaint if any is the loud music from a bar across the street, but this quietened down around 1am, and next year i shall ask for a mountain view room."

• Travel date: Sun 8th of October 2006

Not bad, but-

"My wife and I have just returned home from a 7 night stay booked through Accesible Travel.co.uk. I suffer from MS and I am wheelchair dependent. We arrived late, 11:30pm. Access was good with ramped access to reception unfortunately no help available with luggage and other necessary equipment however there was a luggage trolley which my wife managed to use. Our room was on the second floor and access to the lift and room was good. The only critisisms, and it's because I have everything in place at home, was lack of grab rails in the bathroom and no riser rail over the "wheel in shower". The latter was quickly rectified by the manager. The room was clean and tidy and kept clean and tidy every morning by the friendly and helpful "cleaning women". The A/C in the room was very useful for me because a lack of A/C in public areas.
The disabled toilets on the groundfloor were difficult to get into but all other areas were easily accessible due to the excellent ramp access however there is a particularly steep short ramp to the pool which required assistance in my manual chair but was easy in my hired electric chair.I could only get into the pool with the help of fellow guests. I had a very enjoyable time. I thought the staff were polite,courteous and helpful and my wife was impressed with the cleanliness of the hotel."

• Travel date: Wed 4th of October 2006

Pretty good hotel

Good

"We have just got back from a 7 night stay at the Crown Resorts Horizon and Coral Bay (17-24 September) and thought we'd give a review.

After reading some earlier comments, we were a little unsure of what to expect, but can report back the hotel is actually pretty good!

We were booked on the all-inclusive basis and the food was good at breakfast time and lunch was fine (simple cheese toasties, grilled chicken, rice, fries, etc). The only disappointment was dinner - the buffet was fairly unappetising most nights. There was a good selection, it just didn't seem very appealing! They did have a grill/BBQ night with hot dogs and mini-burgers which was good though. We actually ate out on 3 occasions - the Coral Bay Chinese (2 mins walk away) is great, plus an Italian restaurant (name escapes me) which is at the end of 'bar street' on the right, was also good.

The drinks selection was good - beers were always cold and there was a choice of Keo and Leon (local brews), plus Carlsberg. There was also wine (again local) and sprits which were OK. Ice cream was also free on the all-inclusive package!

Our room was a Superiro Direct Sea view and was very nice - I would compare it to a standard Hilton/Holiday Inn in a city such as London. It was very clean and we had a lovely view of the sea.

The pool area is very nice and the swim-up bar is a great feature! Others have mentioned this, but we found on a couple of days that there weren't enough sun beds around the pool.

On the whole, we had a good stay and the staff were very friendly and helpful. The only downside was the food in the evening.

I would recommend it to anyone though! By the way, try booking direct on the hotel website as they have some good discounts on there. They even threw in a week's free car hire for us (we only had to pay for insurance and petrol).

The weather was excellent too - around 85 degrees every day!"

• Travel date: Sun 24th of September 2006

Beautiful Hotel

Good

"My partner and I stayed at the hotel at the start of September and were impressed with everything about the hotel and the holiday. The pool and surrounding area was lovely and very spacious and the staff were very pleasant. We went Bed and Breakfast which we would definately recommend as although the breakfasts were lovely, the surrounding restaurants are too good to miss. I would definately recommend the Crown Resort Horizon and will be staying again in the future."

• Travel date: Sat 23rd of September 2006

holiday

"We stayed at the crown horizon for one week as my daughter was getting married in coral bay and was happily surprised at the location of the hotel at the beginning of the strip,the food was excellent and varied the room was very clean,towells changed daily,the pool was spotless and most of the staff were welcoming the only problem we found was that with the temperature outside hitting 40C the air-con could have been cooler not only in our room but the hotel in general apart from that we will come again!"

• Travel date: Wed 17th of July 2013

Not Great for Kids

"Not a great hotel for children pool area is dirty did not close pool when a child pooped in it just fished it out !!! Entertainment was poor just bingo everynight & the odd act. Location was good and rooms were cleaned everyday good choice of food but not the warmest. On a sour note my daughter was hospitalised whilst at this hotel due to a bacterial infection which caused her to get bronchial pneaumonia. No help from hotel staff what so ever didn't offer to get a doctor had to run a mile and half down the road to take her to doctors. Would not go back"

• Travel date: Tue 12th of March 2013

Hotels near Crown Resorts Horizon

Stayed at Crown Resorts Horizon? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Crown Resorts Horizon

• Jake by Jake

"Doesn't live up to it's 4 stars "

• mature travellers by mature travellers

"Disappointed, not really 4* quality "

• primrose by primrose

"Take lots of sun cream. "

• PFarrell by PFarrell

"dont listen to any bad reports "

• anonymous11 by anonymous11

"get away from the hotel and resort and go to the beaches and paphos itself. "

• rog6718 by rog6718

"take your own kettle. "

• MrsGr by MrsGr

"Sleep in the day - you wont at night ! "

• Robin S by Robin S

"visit coral bay beach just a 5 min walk "

•  Ts Cox by  Ts Cox

"take your own travel kettle and buy your water at the local shops. "

• samift by samift

"Rent a car to get around the island "

Crown Resorts Horizon is also called