Constantinou Bros Athena Beach Hotel

Theas Afroditis Avenue, Paphos 8101 Cyprus

Good

Recommended

"12th Sep 06 - just come back from a week here and thought it was a great hotel and very well situated.
Supermarket just over the road, fab restaurant and bar over the road (bit more upmarket and modern, restaurant behind supermarket does great greek food and is reasonably priced). Waitress Louisa is lovely!
Facilities in hotel are excellent, pools are clean and spacious, and plenty of sunbeds available.
Beach is stony/rocky so either take water shoes or use the jetty to get in and out.
We went B&B and so much choice there! had the buffet meal in the hotel one night and to be honest, the best part was the salads so i personally would rather go out and get something in one of the many restaurants nearby.
Hotel has a great bar and the service was brilliant, sit down and within a min or so you're order is taken. Happy hour is well worth it as all drinks are half price which is a big benefit as a gin and tonic is nearly £5!!
We had a partial sea view which was great, it's worth paying the little extra for as you're not road side and still had a great view of the sea.
Occassionally you get the 'towel crowd' - eg those that get to the pool early, put their towels down and disappear for ages but there's still plenty of space and it's always a good laugh to eat your breakfast outside by the pool and watch them making fools of themselves by doing this!
Also, the same people seem to like making sure that they get to everything first, eg breakfast, dinner, bbq etc etc. There's always enough food to go round and enough places to sit, so i would sit back, relax and enjoy watching the stampede of the over 50's desperate to get there before anyone else and stay there until the end of service!
It's a great hotel for kids too. We went during school term time so lucky for us there weren't hoards of screaming children running about but there were quite a few 0-1 year olds around and it's very family friendly.
You can walk along the beach to the harbour, takes about 45 mins just ambling along and you get to look at the back of the other hotels along the way. Lovely sunsets and mostly flat terrain although at the mo you do have to walk through a dark, empty area where no doubt another hotel will spring up, so not advisable to walk after dark.
Overall, i would stay here again but not in high season. Everything about the room was great, the service excellent, location superb and pools and gardens clean and spacious.
Don't go in August if you can help it as the locals were saying it was late 30's in temperature and VERY humid. We had between 30-35 degrees and 65% humidity which was enough to make you sweat all day long and plenty for me!
Oh, and very popular with Germans!"

• Travel date: Mon 11th of September 2006

Happy Silver Anniversary

"We have just returned from the Athena Beach Hotel after having spent a week there for our Silver Wedding Anniversary. We had a fab time. Never have we been on holiday where we haven't had to search for sunbeds so it was brill not to have to get up early every morning just to secure one.
We only went b&b so therefore ate out at various restruants in the area and never once had a bad meal. Highly recommend the local chinese and also the Brahams & Listz pub on the corner. Had some good nights in there thanks to Rafe & Katrina.
Would definately go back as there was everything there we needed. The location of the hotel was great as well as being spotless. Weather was fantastic!!"

• Travel date: Sun 10th of September 2006

Wow Fantastic

"This hotel is fantastic, I used to live in Cyprus years ago and always stayed at the Pahian Bay Hotel when I holidayed with my parents. My husband and I enjoyed a fantastic honeymoon at this hotel
On arrival the hotel staff were unbeleivable and that was before they knew we were honeymooners. The food was fantastic and the different themed nights were fab. The BBQ by the pool was so romantic. ( was scared of falling in the pool after to many vino's)
We loved it, I would stay there again. Although now my brother lives in paphos it may be a while before we go back.
We are stopping at the Louis Patheon in May07 only because we have a 3 year old son and its suits him down to the ground"

• Travel date: Sun 13th of August 2006

Another fabulous stay

"This was our third visit to this lovely hotel and hopefully not our last. There’s not a lot more I could add to all the previous reviews so thought I’d share my photos with you to show you what a treat you’re in for if you’re thinking of booking here. You definitely won’t be disappointed – even the view from room 393 is good.

If you prefer the sea view, my advice would be to do it directly with the hotel as it’s much cheaper than with the tour operator. Same goes for the HB option. If you have any room left for lunch after the extensive breakfast there’s a great outdoor grill restaurant and the prices are very reasonable. Wherever you stay, drinking in hotels is expensive, but I don’t think the Athena Beach is any more expensive than other hotels.

Beachside the property is about 250 yards long with extensive landscaped gardens and you’ll have no problem finding a sun bed or shade.

The bedrooms are spotless and comfortable with good facilities at no extra charge – tea/coffee replenished daily, iron and board, TV, fridge, air conditioning, and personally I think 3pounds for the hire of a room safe for a week is very good value.

Couldn’t say we noticed any of the staff looking bored and, in fact, a lot of the staff remained unchanged so I guess that if there isn’t a big turnover in personnel they must be doing something right.

Cyprus is an expensive destination to travel to, but the Athena Beach is a real bargain. Hope to see you again next year."

• Travel date: Fri 11th of August 2006

Cypros Uncovered

"I went with my wife in early July and stayed for 2 weeks.
On arrival the hotel appears quite sumptious and although there is no concierge the bell hops and reception staff are efficient, polite and helpful.
The bedroom was standard although we did pay extra for a sea view which we were quite grateful for since rooms at the front have no view to speak of and receive a full blast of the sun in the morning which must warm them up considerably. On this point, all rooms are air conditioned but with varying degrees of efficiency. Some nights, even at "full blast" the humidity made it very difficult to sleep comfortably. Each room has a small fridge to keep small amounts of drinks etc in but which are a little noisy and can only be drowned out by the air conditioning or by turning them off (remember to turn on again in the morning)! Each room has a safe but you have to pay to use it. Why? They also have a kettle in the room but do not charge when you use so why charge for the safe?
Domestic staff excellent. Rooms faultlessly made up every day. Towel changing is by request. Hotel keen to sell you environmental concerns and ask you to request changes of towels only when needed.
Cuisine in the hotel is delivered buffet style although you can pay extra to have a dinner served to you Table D'hote in a separate dining room. The buffets themselves (breakfast and dinner) are extensive but unremarkable. I appreciate that they are catering for substantial numbers but I felt there was something missing when eating under these conditions.
The staff were efficient, sometimes too efficient by removing dishes before you had finished, but they generally looked bored and as if they wished to be somewhere else. The exception was the "greeters" who were very effusive as you would expect.
The pool areas were good. Plenty of sunbeds with showers and refreshments available. Beach towels available free of charge. Some days you had to sign for them and some days you did not?
The management of the hotel should be congratulated for the effort though not the outcome of the events organised in the evenings. These consisted of themed dining events (buffet style) ranging through Cypriot, Greek, BBQ (the difference is?), Italien, French, Far East with local dance troupes performing Cypriot and Greek (the difference is?) songs and dances. As said a big effort made but the result never quite matched expectation.
The hotel customers are predominately British who can easily be identified by their tattoos, both male and female. Is it now compulsory to be tattooed?
Reflecting back, this is an ideal venue if all you want is sun, sea / pool and simple fare to eat. Even the local restaurants seem just like home (some might be branches of those in UK!) and for me a week would be quite long enough.
Cyprus itself is not cheap and other than the monasteries in the Troodos mountains and maybe the Tomb of The Kings, is quite boring, even with a car.
PS Try the bar across the road from the hotel. Much cheaper than the hotel bar prices and "Roodey" the resident karioke star will have you in stitches with his versions of hit songs."

• Travel date: Thu 27th of July 2006

Fabulous hotel

"We have just returned from a 10 day stay at Athena Beach Hotel. This was our first visit to Cyprus and will definitely not be our last. We could not fault the hotel, the rooms were very comfortable with everything you could possibly need including a fridge, kettle and tea/coffee supplies topped up daily and also towelling robes and slippers. We stayed in a superior room with sea view which had an enormous balcony with our own sunbeds, parasol and table and chairs. Very nice indeed. The hotel staff were very friendly and the receptionists very helpful. Although we only stayed on a b&b basis we did stay for the barbecue night and the food was fabulous particularly the choice of desserts!!

We felt the beach at the hotel was disappointing in that it was rocky but only a short bus ride away (costing only 80cents) you can find a lovely beach at Coral Bay. Buses are very frequent and cheap.

A short walk away is Ficardos Restaurant and we found the food and service there was fabulous - the best restaurant in Paphos.

We had a fabulous holiday and would recommend the Athena Beach Hotel to anyone."

• Travel date: Tue 4th of July 2006

Outstanding Hotel which will appeal to everyone

"Wow, what can I say ?

This was the most enjoyable holiday we have had yet. The Hotel is outstanding and the location is perfect. Please forgive me as this is a long review because I have so many good things I think you should know about.

Hotel Location:
The Hotel is approx 1.5 - 2 miles from the main Paphos centre. This will take between 20-45 mins on foot depending on your fitness. The centre can be reached easily by following the main road which runs from the Hotel. There are hotels, shops and a few bars and restaurants which line the road. Alternatively there is a path that you can follow which runs along the beach. There are a few breaks on this path over rough ground so it may not suit everyone, but is is a very nice walk.

An added bonus here is that there is a good selection of bars and restaurants within 5 minutes walk from the hotel - known as "the triangle area" there are about 12 restaurants and 8 bars here. The bars are very relaxed they play music at a pleasant volume (no bangin' choonz) - no discos or artists, but cater for sports fans with many large screen TV's showing mostly sports but also some TV programes such as soaps. Most of the bars open late (til' at least 1.00 am) and serve food all day. I particually enjoyed the Pegasus Bar which had wonderful staff who work very hard, and has possibly the best choice of drinks I have ever seen (Keo, Carlsberg, Stella, Kronenberg, John Smiths, Worthingtons, caffreys, Guinnes, Hoegaarden all on draught and a range of bottled beer which includes my all time fav - Leffe). The restaurants very good and very reasonably priced. They include a Chinese, French, Italian, Indian, and Greek. There is also a very nice Fish Restaurant here. With such a good choice, there is little need to travel much further.

Hotel Rooms:
The rooms are comfortable and clean. Most rooms are twin so you might have to do a bit of furniture arranging if you want to sleep together. They also have tea and coffee making facilities, a hairdyer, TV with about 5 English Chanels (SKY SPORTS included !!!! WOW). You also get an Iron and Ironing board. Even better, you get a large fridge in your room so that you can store your food and drink (or if you are like me, fill it with about 20 cans of Keo beer - perfect for sitting on the balcony and getting in the holiday mood to). To top it off, the hotel provides bathrobes and slippers. If you have read the other reviews you will know that the views from your room are a bit of a lottery. You can pay for the sea view up-grade, but these are expensive and can be spoilt by the extended flat roof over the bar and restaurant which obstruct about half of the hotels sea view rooms. We did not pay for a sea view room and ended up with a view of the next hotel. I can't complain about this as we took a chance, but some people who paid for a sea view were not very impressed.

Pool and Beach:
Spotless and clean. There are 3 pools, 1 is adult only. There are many sunbeds which are spread out over the vast pool, garden and beach areas. It was never a problem to get one (although as usual, the best ones get reserved at 07.30 each morning!). There is a pool snack bar serving drinks and a small selection of snacks. There is also a larger snack bar next to the Restaurant which is where lunch is taken for full board guests. A nice touch here is that the hotel has a small golf buggy which drives up and down the garden paths each day. You can buy drinks here without even having to get off your sunbed (probably explains the 1/2 stone in wieght I have gained).

Bars and Restaurants
The main Restaurant is on the lower level and is large and very clean. The food is of a high standard and there never appeared to be a shortage of anything. The selection was varied and most people were very impressed. You can sit outside if you prefare, or stay in the air conditioned restaurant. There are plenty of tables and they are spaced out so that you never feel you are sat on top of each other.

There is a specialist restaurant next door which can be reserved. A choice of a la carte meals are served here. I never tried it so I can't comment, but it looked very nice.

The bar is located on the 1st floor. It has a large indoor seating area and there is nightly entertainment which is low-key - usually a singer or piano music. If you prefare, you can sit out on the terrace which overlooks the pool area. This is very nice and relaxing. The bar is waiter service and the standard of service was first class. The hotel has plenty of staff and you never had to wait for more than a couple of minutes even during the busy happy hour (7.00 til 8.00 pm).

Reception:
The girls who work on the reception are outstanding. They are helpful and nothing is too much trouble. They speak perfect English and upon arrival, took the time to explain how everything works.

Facilities:
Other facilities at this hotel include a bowling green, golf putting gree, amusment arcade, a very well stocked supermarket, a gym, hairdersser and beauty theropy room, a card room, TV lounge.

Summary:
The hotel does so many things well, its hard to fault it for anything. Sure - some of the rooms suffer from poor views but this is because the Athena Beach was the first hotel to be built in this area. The hotels on either side have been built more recently. Before they arrived, most rooms had a view of something. The only other gripe I have is that prices at the hotel can be expensive (3.70 cypriot pounds for a pint and a half of Keo Beer - which would cost about 2.00 in Pahos, but I think you will find that all hotels in this area charge about the same). I have stayed in many 5 star hotels which are inferior to this hotel. For me the Athena Beach is a bargain."

• Travel date: Mon 3rd of July 2006

Great Hotel

"We booked into the Athena Beach Hotel for a fortnight, what a fabulous place. There were approximately 17 of us during this fortnight. With another 20 or so people staying in other parts of Paphos, why you may ask - our daughter was married in the hotel. The staff were wonderful they made the day so special, as if you were the only people that mattered, they could not have done any more for us than what they did. The whole day was brilliant. It was a fairy tale wedding.
The food during our stay was excellent, especially as I have to go careful with what I eat. There was a varied choice. We had booked in on bed and breakfast only. There was an enormous choice at breakfast, sometimes champagne as well. The evening meal choice was also excellent, You are able to book in for three nights at a time, if you take advantage of this it is cheaper. Our rooms were cleaned every day, we had the same maid for all but one day she was excellent, we noticed when it was her day off. Some of the staff who will always stick in my mind were Stavros the bar Manager, Oddysseas and Daniel, the only staff that appeared a bit surly were the breakfast waitresses - but we can't always be cheerful all of the time I suppose.
We did go out several nights for meals, despite someone elses review I have read there was an excellent choice of places. ''Follow the Candles'' serves excellent food, The Ribshack, The Lazy Bull, if you fancy Chinese The Imperial near the harbour. As with everything you need to look around.
Several of the 'younger' people in the group - although some of the 'older' ones did go off to the 'Crocodile' bar for a quiet Stag Night!!!!!!! I think the 'older' ones came back worse for the wear. You can win tee-shirts over a period of nights, this appeared to be the gaol I am told.
We did go out and visit some of the sights, as with everything not all were impressive, but it did not spoil our holiday. My Husband and I will certainly return some day, and hopefully go back to The Athena Beach."

• Travel date: Fri 30th of June 2006

Great hotel

Good

"We have just returned from a weeks stay at the Athena Beach Hotel. Firstly if you are going and havent got a seaview room - get one! We upgraded and are so glad we did, ask for room 303, great room + great view of the magnificent sunsets! The other side of the hotel has got building works and altho not hugely disruptive why look at a building site when you could have great views for a little bit extra, it really is worth it. The hotel itself was always kept clean and tidy and the staff friendly. Sunbathing is a joy if like us you dont have kids there is plenty of room to subathe away from them albeit not by the pool (which didnt always look that clean so that didnt worry us). There are some great places to eat turning left from the front of the hotel about a 5 min walk, Cavalennis, Rib Shack and Oleastro, but beware, if the waiters bring out drinks that you havent ordered these are not freebies and will apear on your bill at the end of the evening. There is a supermarket opposite the hotel which outside sells great rolls for lunch and at a reasonable price CY£1.20. Kato town/harbour is about a 25 min walk and I believe you can catch a bus but it seemed like it was gift shop then brit pub all the way along which wasnt really our cup of tea so a bit disappointing, altho there was a good chinese place called the Imperial, food great and staff friendly. I would advise bringing mosquito spay I had 35 bites and also a good strong factor sunscreen the sun really is a scorcher, the supermarkets sell suncreams etc if you need to purchase more."

• Travel date: Wed 28th of June 2006

Exactly what you want...

"Took the family to this hotel in June 2006. 4 star is what we booked and this is exactly what we got. The hotel is well placed with a ten min walk to the main harbour shopping and restaurant area's.
We arrived late at night and were well received by the staff. The rooms are well appointed, spacious and very clean.
The food here is first classwith many choices. Plenty of fresh fruit and produce and the waiting staff friendly and attentive.
The facillities are good. The pool area is excellent with a slide for the kids, table tennis and a good kids club. We had a well equipped gym to play in.
The bar is well stocked with a great choice of cocktails and the balcony a superb place to watch the sun set.

The only let down was the beach, or lack of it. A very rocky area that dips down quite steeply into the sea. Watch the kids.

Overall, I would gladly return to this Hotel and would reccomend it to all."

• Travel date: Tue 27th of June 2006

Terrible Thomas Cook

"This hotel has potential to be amazing; unfortunately I did not have the opportunity to experience this! I have travelled to Paphos on many occasions and I was visiting this hotel on my own as an all-inclusive customer.
I was taken critically ill during my holiday and was shown a lack of customer care by the Thomas Cook rep "Paul" and the hotel staff, all whom failed to assist me when I became too ill to help myself.
The rep was elusive from day one; I did not receive any paperwork from him. Although there is a rep's board I had problems locating him.
After three days of being unwell at the Athena Beach I was able to locate the rep this time and as I could stand the pain no longer he requested reception to call a taxi to the medical centre.
Having arrived on my own I crawled up the hospital steps and almost immediately received lifesaving surgery. I was not contacted by Paul my rep for a week. By this point his visit was an insult. When my daughter flew out to pack my things from the hotel she was assisted by the customer relations at the hotel and they were unaware of my admission to the hospital. It is frightening that a lady by herself in an all-inclusive hotel was not missed.
Both the hotel and Thomas Cook rep showed no empathy and kindness and all correspondence from Thomas Cook have belittled the lack of support I received.
Due to the poor customer service by all concerned I would definitely not recommend.

• Travel date: Wed 30th of January 2013

Great hotel

"We have just returned from our 3rd holiday here. We love the hotel and the staff are helpful. We were remembered on our return and were given an up graded room for free. We stay B&B which suits us but the breakfasts are good plenty to choose from. The sun beds are taken very early in Aug so if you are planning a day sunning yourself by the pool you really must join the sun bed savers..... not good but its just the way it has to be. A recommended stay "

• Travel date: Wed 5th of September 2012

Hotels near Constantinou Bros Athena Beach Hotel

Stayed at Constantinou Bros Athena Beach Hotel? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Constantinou Bros Athena Beach Hotel

• M_and_M_Gsy by M_and_M_Gsy

"Pegasis bar & ther Steak restaurant near "

• V Maycock by V Maycock

"The restraunts in the Harbour, would recommend to go to Troodos, the view is superb "

• badger by badger

"Enjoy the location and excellent staff "

• Liz & Steve by Liz & Steve

"Adonis bath, wave dancer and jeep safari "

• Debbie A by Debbie A

"We have seen most of the island hire a car "

Constantinou Bros Athena Beach Hotel is also called