My family and I went out to Cyprus not o...

Reviewed Fri 24th of August 2007

"My family and I went out to Cyprus not only for a holiday but to get married as well. From the moment a Thomas Cook rep met us at the airport with the details of our wedding it was a stress free relaxing holiday. We met our wedding co-ordinator on the Monday and went through what we wanted for the wedding. We then met the hotels restaurant manager to go through the menu for the reception then sat back and waited for the big day (10 days later).

The room was lovely and clean with a bottle of champagne and fruit basket greeted us when we got into our room.

The staff were very friendly and helpful and the hotel was always spotless. The food was fab, but I didn't think much of the evening entertaiment, a bit dull some nights but you didn't have to wander far to find other places for entertainment.

The day of our wedding was fantastic, all the transport turned up on time and the day went without a hitch. On our return from the town hall we were greeted by the management of the hotel and our guests lined up as we walked through the reception area they played the wedding march over the hotels speakers which was a lovely touch.

It was a fantastic two weeks out there, even if the temps did get up to 43/45 degrees,
you were made welcome everywhere you went. I would recommend getting married out in Cyprus to anyone, it was so stress free. You had time to enjoy every bit of the wedding day the hardest part you had to do was pick what flowers you want and what menu to go for from the many to choose from. Got strap marks from the sunbathing leading up to the wedding!"

• Travel date: Fri 24th of August 2007

What a fantastic hotel! Had read some re...

Reviewed Fri 10th of August 2007

"What a fantastic hotel! Had read some reports which concerned me slightly about lots of cats, food not good, etc etc.

However, the hotel was spotless, and the breakfast had a good selection, to cater for everyone. The swimming pool area was clean, and there were plenty of sun beds with umbrellas.

It was nice for a change, that the hotel did not rip you off on their bar prices, which more of less matched that of the local bars. All the staff were helpful and friendly.

I guess if there was a down point, it would have to be the entertainment, which during the day was limited and at night, well what can I say except we went out most nights! But then again just because it was not to our taste, it is probably more than adequate for some people.

Would go to the hotel again as we had a lovely holiday and the location was perfect, only a 20 - 30 minute stroll down into the harbour, 10 minutes to the waterpark, go-karts and mini golf.

There was also plenty of restaurants to choose from right on the doorstep from American, French, Indian, Chinese, and a short stroll away there was the traditional Fish & Chips, fast food restaurants and even a Brazilian restaurant."

• Travel date: Fri 10th of August 2007

I have just come back from a week in Pap...

Reviewed Tue 3rd of July 2007

"I have just come back from a week in Paphos and it was one of the best holidays I have had.

The hotel was superb, facilities excellent, lovely pool with a bar actually inside the pool (which is always a nice touch).

The rooms were very spacious and cleaned every day. The hotel was in an excellent location only 15 mins walk from the centre and near what must be the nicest set of restaurants I have eaten in abroad.

I really must praise Fat Mamma's (portions amazing), Chloe's, El Sombrero and an Indian Restaurant which served some of the nicest food I have eaten (the name escapes me but next to the Karaoke and Poolside Bar directly opposite from McDonalds and KFC.

The only thing putting me off returning to Paphos and Cyprus in general was the heat as we were in the middle of a heat wave (again! as we were last year in Protaras) and boy was it hot.

Best bars were Bubbles and Robin Hood Bar (who serve Hoegardden in the biggest glasses I have ever seen)."

• Travel date: Tue 3rd of July 2007

This is a superb hotel which fully justi...

Reviewed Tue 3rd of July 2007

"This is a superb hotel which fully justifies its 4 stars. The rooms are modern, spacious and clean with effective air-conditioning (we needed it with temperatures outside over 40 degrees). The pool area is really nice.

The downsides are that some of the staff are a little surly and unhelpful and although we did not eat in the main restaurant as we were only bed and breakfast, we heard many complaints about the quality of the food and poor service.

Having said that the breakfasts were perfectly adequate (if a little lukewarm as it is a buffet).

The evening entertainment is pretty dire, but you don't have to take part. My advice is to go bed and breakfast."

• Travel date: Tue 3rd of July 2007

Warning ...don’t read and believe all...

Reviewed Fri 29th of June 2007

"Warning ...don’t read and believe all negative comments on reviews. Just come back from a fantastic 2 week holiday in Pathos and staying at Avanti hotel.

Now I am usually a hard person to please, I like my creature comforts and an avid food critic (as I love to cook and like to think I have high standards) well I was lost for words !! My partner had a moan free holiday!

The accommodation was first class ,lovely and clean ,beds changed several times a week. Hotel spotless. Pool spotless and well kept.

Breakfast in the mornings generous and if you were clever and varied your breakfast each day you would not become board after 2 weeks.

Hotel Buffet evenings optional, they have a themed buffet each night 5 courses for 9 CYP. Pounds each, after 3 buffets guests pay 7 CYP pounds ... soup, very large salad course, main buffet course desserts, and cheese board.

Staff very friendly and helpful. In general Cypriot people very nice and friendly.

Locally to eat recommend Rendezvous restaurant across the road.. Pegasus and crocodile pubs good atmospheres. For good beach try coral bay.

Greek night on boat with traditional Greek meze fab approx 25pounds all in with transport.

Word of warning if thinking on trip to Egypt go on day trip by air not cruise as we did too tiring..

Anyway you will have a great time at the Avanti hotel we are coming back for a week in sept we liked it so much."

• Travel date: Fri 29th of June 2007

My wife, my son, and I stayed in the Ava...

Reviewed Wed 23rd of May 2007

"My wife, my son, and I stayed in the Avanti hotel in May for 14 nights on HB and were thrilled by the hotel.

Its location is excellent, the staff is very friendly. A spotless hotel completely renovated. Everything was new. Food was great.

We enjoyed the pool and the swim up bar and the large gardens. The rooms are quite spacious, larger than other 4 star hotels that we have stayed in before.

We will be returning hopefully same time next year.

The animation team is very good and kept my son occupied with sports and activities which gave us time to relax and enjoy the sun.

We hired a car for a few days and visited Latsi and Coral bay. We walked to the harbour and used the bus service outside the hotel to visit the old town of Paphos.

Paphos is a beautiful resort in itself and we are planning to go back and visit the areas that we did not manage to see this time."

• Travel date: Wed 23rd of May 2007

Loved the Avanti!

Reviewed Tue 4th of December 2012

"I went to stay at the Avanti Hotel for the first week in May and had an amazing time. I'd read some of the reviews on here beforehand and was a bit worried but I really enjoyed my stay.

The hotel itself was gorgeous. The reception and bar area were well kept and the pool area and gardens were gorgeous. I had always wanted to go somewhere with a swim up pool bar and it didn't disappoint!

The rooms were maybe slightly tired however they were comfortable and clean. I would recommend getting a room with a pool view - we hadn't originally booked one but upgraded when we got there after seeing one. There was entertainment every night but it finished by midnight so never bothered us when we were trying to sleep.We went out each night so can't really comment on what it was like.

We stayed on a B & B basis so didn't eat our evening meals there however the breakfast was ok. If you are staying on a B & B basis there are a few restaurants I would recommend - Cavallini's is situated just behind the hotel and is absolutely gorgeous. We also asked the staff at reception for a recommendation and they sent us to La Spaguetteria and it had some of the nicest pasta I've ever tasted. We also went to Avgerinos (which is a lovely fish restaurant) and Chloe's (which is chinese restaurant). We also spent many a night in the Nature Bar which is just by the hotel. The owners and staff are so friendly and I would definitely recommend going for a few drinks.

With regards to the problems with the cats - there were a lot of cats in the hotel but only really round the breakfast area, not by the pool. They didn't bother me at all but if you are afraid of cats it may be more of an issue.

Overall, we had a brilliant time and I would recommend this hotel. We would definitely stay if we went again."

• Travel date: Wed 9th of May 2007

Aimed at the Older Client

Reviewed Mon 15th of October 2012

"We stayed at the Avanti Hotel from 22 - 29 April 2007, I would say that all of the previous good reviews are very fair and that the hotel is aimed at the older clientelle for which is evident by the evening entertainment.
There are a few cats around which are cared for by the hotel but you hardly see them (we like cats so no probs).
We were B&B and ate out every night which was so easy with the great choice of local restaurants. We ate in the hotel restaurant one night and were given vouchers by reception, I would say the food is very good if you choose the half board option, but eating out is so reasonable it seems a shame to miss out on the many dining experiences.
I had a try dive with Cy dive who introduced themselves by the outdoor pool and took us to their school/shop for the lesson & dive. If you are looking to do a try diving I can't recommend them highly enough they really look after you and the price is very reasonable.
We hired a car from one of the hire the shops across from the hotel at a very reasonable rate and drove to all of the well known places on the island which was much cheaper than the organised trips.
All in all a fabulous island with wonderful people and drivers that stop (actually break hard) at zebra crossings, we would go back in a flash but probably to a different hotel that caters to a broader spectrum of people."

• Travel date: Tue 8th of May 2007

Wrong time of year

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"The Hotel is in a good area plenty of eating places and bars.
20 - 25 mins walk from the Harbour.

In our opinion not a 4 star rating, service in the restaurant and reception excellent.

The pool bar and external services pool side services do not open till May we were told so beware!!
This spoilled our holidays as we go to chill and relax.

We got 4 star service when visiting The Alexander the Great Hotel 5 mins down the road they had a full compliment of staff.

The childrens entertainment was very good both my children enjoyed the days they spent there and kids club not regimented like some, the children can come and go as like to join in or stay with family."

• Travel date: Sun 22nd of April 2007

Lots of Cats !!

Reviewed Tue 11th of December 2012

"I stayed at this hotel in September 2005 so it was a while back.

The thing I remember most about this holiday was the number of stray cats around the hotel complex. They were everywhere. I am very fond of cats but did find the number of cats and kittens around the hotel a bit distressing. When eating outside they would come right up to you and hang around until you fed them! Obviously this sort of thing is not ideal when you are trying to eat and alot of the residents got irritated by the cats.

The hotel itself was OK, and we did enjoy the food (when not giving half of it to the cats)!

There is a small beach just across the road which is also OK, although a large section of it is private and belongs to the hotel across the road.

There are plenty of bars and restaurants nearby, although only ate at the hotel as we were half board.

The rooms in the hotel were average - seem to remember there was carpet, which could have done with a clean.

All in all we had a nice time but probably would not go back there again."

• Travel date: Mon 2nd of April 2007

Great hotel, would definatly stay there again

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"Me and my partner stayed at this hotel in July 2006 and had a wonderful stay. There must have been at least three weddings taking place in the week we stayed there and hotel staff were excellent and didnt get stressed at all! The swimming pool area was very nice and the pool side bar served nice food. Even though there wasnt much entertainment at night in the hotel the day time activities were enjoyable, ranging from water polo, aerobics to archery. The hotel room we stayed in was very clean and had a good size balcony. If i ever came back to Cyprus i would choose The Avanti Hotel again. A must to do here if u come is the day trip to Egypt, it may be expensive at £200 but i can tell u will never experience anything like it again, well worth the money!!"

• Travel date: Sun 18th of March 2007

Great wedding at the avanti

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"Got married at the Avanti in July.The staff couldn't have been more helpful and arranged everything with no hassle. The grounds of the hotel are beautiful and the setting for the wedding was fabulous. Our wedding photographs are excellent (taken by Andreas of Fotokinisi) and the reception arranged by the hotel was great and excellent value for money. The food at the hotel is excellent,the pool is great and there are plenty of bars and restaurants nearby. Altogether a great holiday."

• Travel date: Sat 27th of January 2007