Alexander The Great Beach Hotel

Posidonos Ave., Paphos 8102 Cyprus

Alexander (Not so) Great

"Good first impressions, orange juice on arrival, staff seemed assertive. Room: Ok, bathroom small & smelly, we had a nice pool and seaview room with complimentary Commandier wine and Turkish delight waiting on the table. Then we found the Bed linen rather tired and well exhausted. Most guests were pushing well beyond pension age and obviously being visiting the hotel for many years as there seemed to be a permanant 'clique' making others less comfortable. We were on half board basis, food was average but not as expected, we went to breakfast once but that put us off for the rest of the week. This hotel tries it's best to claims to be a 4+ star but fails desperately to achieve the 4 unfortunately. However, a great location, not too far from all attractions around the main tourist areas, and all and beyond , they do a lovely Cyprus Kiss. Not for us, could be for you, YOU DECIDE."

• Travel date: Sat 23rd of September 2006

Balanced report !

"Just got back from this hotel last night. Purpose of visit was a friend's wedding.

Good Points:
Excellent location. hotel overlooks pool and then the sea. You get a great sunset view from the main hotel veranda which happily coincided with happy hour cocktails in the Alexander bar ! To get a good view of this from your room you need a full seaview room from 2nd or 3rd floor -- side sea view is a VERY side view and inland view overlooks an extremely busy and very noisy road. To be fair there is not a lot the hotel can do about this, lots of motorbikes with loud engines zooming by into the night ! I moved rooms after the first night because of noise and my request for this was handled swiftly and efficiently with no fuss.

Having read this website for reviews, I e mailed hotel 24hrs prior to leaving UK with a couple of requests. They had my e mail clipped to my booking when I checked in and had met all my needs. So if you need something special I recommend this as a way of contacting them.

Breakfast - no problems, good selection of food, full english to cereals to continental to fruit etc.

One for the boys here --- Sky Sports 1 ( yes, you heard me -- Sky Sports 1 ) is one of your free TV channels, along with BBC 1, BBC 2, ITV, Channel 5, and Sky news. Reception was usually good but occassionally patchy.

Could do better:

Hotel charges for tea and coffee in the rooms -- I would expect a hotel of this standard to provide this facility as complimentary.

There are a lot of cats roaming the hotel grounds, whilst they are very cute, we had sunbeds on the hill directly overlooking the sea which was a great spot for a sea breeze and view but sadly the cat population also were using the area as a toilet, openly digging and doing their thing right by our feet -- not nice to look at and also smelly ! I did fill this in on my guest questionnaire so hopefully the hotel will address this. I include on the review as this potentially could be a health hazard for children and pregnant women, due to the parasite toxoplasmosis that is carried in cat faeces.

Hotel furnishings are a little dated and could do with updating, I would affectionately say it was perhaps ' creaking ' a little.

In General:

Weather was great, some great places to eat, nice little shopping area opposite with a lovely bakery, beauticians and supermarkets.

Clientele was largely wedding parties and couples in their fifties and sixties during our stay -- I saw very few children.

We did have a lovely relaxing holiday and enjoy ourselves -- nowhere is going to be 100% perfect and the hotel did always respond well to any queries. If you go to this hotel I am sure you will have a great time.

Hope this review has helped -- I have never reviewed a hotel on here before -- I have done so this time as the other reviews on this place really helped me."

• Travel date: Mon 18th of September 2006

What a let down....

Good

"Good position but that is all.

Very dated inside and the pool was filthy. I swam up the steps putting my hands out and the steps were so dirty the black dirt went up into my nails.

Most of the staff were dreadful, the few that were nice were super.

The pre allocated sunbeds were a good idea but the mattress I had was split and the cat footprints were on the smashed plastic chair for the full 11 days we stayed. The plastic cup under my chair stayed there for 9 days of our holiday, however, it was gone after completing my guest report.

LUNCH - The food was all pre made and clingfilmed. It was served with clingfilm over it. The salad was served in a plastic container. (Poolside) However, we did find the outside taverna section of the hotel that served poor food but on plates and we were offered knives and folks that were not plastic. Also drinks were served in glasses not plastic cups.

BREAKFAST - Good choice

DINNER - Thankfully we were only bed and breakfast

Dont ask for a tray at the bar to take your drinks to your room. The barman will advise you that you can not have a tray and will try and charge you for room service, thats after telling you that you cant carry your drinks in your hand to your room. I have never heard such rubbish in all my life. The poolside bar offered my husband a tray the next day!! The hotel has some strange rules and these are made clear to you.

At the end of the day you may enjoy the hotel but you may expect higher standards that you would come to expect from staying in other decent 4 star hotels.

The bedrooms were dated and the furniture old. Hotel needs a refurb.

Our request for a seaview not met and request for a low floor not met.

The Annabelle is much nicer"

• Travel date: Sat 16th of September 2006

3rd Visit to the Alexander

Good

"I have just returned from a weeks holiday with my daughter (11) and my friend and her son (10). I have been to this hotel twice before with my husband which is the reason I chose it again.

The good points are:

The location - go for a sea view room on either the second or third floor - lovely to just sit on balcony in a morning with my coffee looking out to the harbour or watching the sun-set getting ready to go out. Near to the harbour and restaurants - everything we needed was within 10 minutes walking distance

The sunbeds - I had phoned the hotel prior to the holiday to ask if I could pre-allocate 4 sunbeds right at the edge of the pool so we could keep an eye on the children and they got us some that were just perfect. On my 2 previous visits with my husband we have requested the beds facing the sea which are lovely as well.

The food - we ate every day at lunch time at the hotel and twice on an evening - the Greek buffet and the Italian buffet as kids under 12 go free. Lovely food on all occasions although I do agree with the comments about the breakfast - it is nice but a bit samey. Ask for a table up on the veranda to eat breakfast as it has a lovely sea and harbour view and music playing.

The staff - as I had been before we were invited to a repeaters cocktail party with free wine and barbeque where we could meet some of the management and I thought this was a nice gesture. The staff are very helpful and a couple of issues I had with the room were sorted out in a matter of minutes.

The pools - I thought the pools were more than adequate for us and the indoor pool was a godsend as the temperatures soar in the middle of the day - the Almera next door had a canopy that covered the outdoor pool which I thought was a good idea. You also get loads of beach towels - we had 4 each! so dont bother bringing your own - more room in the suitcase for clothes!

Now for the not-so-good points:

The rooms - I thought the room looked a bit shabby on close inspection. The valance round the bed was grubby and we had a couple of cracked tiles in the bathroom. The first time I came to this hotel the rooms had been newly decorated and they just look in need of a freshen up - however I will stay that our sheets were changed daily and towels twice a day which was excellent.

The lifts - there are two at each side of the hotel and at busy times just dont bother with them and use the stairs as they are very small and very slow.

I really cant think of any more bad points but if I was going to be really picky I could agree with the comment about the pool area being a bit cramped but this is the only way the hotel can guarantee the sunbed allocation to every room at peak times.

In conclusion I think you will have a lovely holiday if you go here but don't expect 5* luxury"

• Travel date: Thu 31st of August 2006

Average experience at best

"The hotel is of reasonable standard but not as good as many of the reviews on here make it out to be.

Pool is too small. Poolside is not as clean as it should be. Some rubbish left lying on the poolside for several days, still there when we left.

Sunbeds are crammed together, no privacy at all.

Hotel is not family friendly, there are lots of dangerous areas where a child could fall and cause a serious injury e.g around the tombs on the site. Kids club is basic and focuses on older children.

Breakfast at best is average in both selection and quality.

Hotel is on a very busy and noisy road. if you have an inland or side seaview room expect to be kept awake until the early hours due to the road noise. The hotel is also opposite a rooftop open air nightclub which plays very load music until approx 3am.
If you are on this side of the hotel you can forget sitting on the balcony to relax, infact you can forget sleeping. The view from a side seaview room is not worth the money.

Other guests also had issues with so called sea view rooms,
their view was obstructed by the curved roof of the indoor pool.

Safety at the hotel is questionable, if the fire alarm activates the hotel policy is to silence the alarm immediately and then investigate why the alarm sounded. If there is a problem the hotel will then sound the alarm again. This would waste valuable minutes if there was a fire. I was informed of this policy by the guest relations manager after complaining with the way the hotel had handled an incident which resulted in the fire alarm being activated.

To be honest for the money people had paid to stay at this hotel I was suprised by the number of people who had issues with the accomodation in some form or another.

The one area in which the hotel excels is its staff, they are all attentive, friendly and professional.

Overall the holiday was good but not worth the money it cost, I have been to better hotels for less. If you are considering Greece (rather than Cyprus) try one of the Grecotels (numerous are shown in the tour operator brochures)."

• Travel date: Sun 27th of August 2006

Excellent, But!

Good

"Looked at the brochure for Alexandra the Great and upgraded to a supreme room with a harbour and sea view as it looked fantastic, however after one nights poor sleep due to traffic noise made a request to the hotel manager for a change of room. After 3 days we were moved to a room further away from the busy adjacent road and we were more than happy with the view and the quieter location.

The plus points of the hotel are as follows:

Excellent sea view.
Friendly staff
Sunbed allocation system
Within close proximity to Paphos Harbour
Good facilities.

Slight disappointments were as follows;

Noisy adjacent road
Breakfast plenty of choice but just average quality
More suited to couples than a family
Slightly pricy for what we got (don’t bother with Supreme room, hardly any difference with the normal one)

We also sampled quite a few of the restaurants as recommended in previous reviews such as Romantica, Les Amis, Annabelle (hotel restaurant). Although we never had one bad meal, we thought the food wasn't of a particularly of a high standard.

We spoke to one of the reception staff at the hotel and were recommended Ano Kato next to Les Amis. If this hadn't been recommended we would have walked straight past as it looked very basic and lacked the ambience of Les Amis. However the food was superb (typical Cypriot and Greek food) and remarkably cheap compared to other places. It is definitely worth a visit (try not to be put off by the multi coloured chairs). The prawn saganaki was excellent and the skordalia is really nice dip.

Also went on a day trip to Cairo. An experience I will always remember. The mix of the slums, luxury hotels and ancient history is quite something all mixed in to such a huge city. The street traders are quite aggressive at the pyramids so be prepared.

Overall a really enjoyable holiday and I would recommend the hotel to anyone, especially couples."

• Travel date: Mon 21st of August 2006

Top marks for for a Great hotel!

"Our stay at the hotel during the first two weeks of July was excellent. Both my hubby & I could not fault the hotel & staff or the weather for that matter! The sun-bed allocation system was such a brilliant idea, shame everywhere else doesn't do it. I t was great to be able to go down to sun bathe at any time of the day knowing your sun-bed was guaranteed. The beds over-looking the beach were very restful & kept you cool from the sea breezes, yet right near the pool. The snack-bar did some very good snacks, at very reasonable prices ;the hot chicken baguette & toasted tuna mayo sandwiches were especially nice!The pool was very pleasant & bigger than the brochure photos seem to show.The rooms were extremely comfortable, particuarly the beds. Fot those who can't miss their soap's they even have BBC1 & ITV on the free TV channels!! We found the hotel was very well placed for great restaurants & the main lively bar area was only 10 mins walk away & the harbour area & fort another 5 mins walk from there. Can specially recommend the restaurant called Za Za, which is opposite hotel & to the right & also a MUST is Fat Mama's on Tomb of the Kings Rd, a short taxi hop but well known by all the taxi drivers as it is sooo good! watch out for the massive portions (Italian, tex-mex, steaks etc) & the dancing waiters & waitresses, real fun night out & reasonable too! FINALLY have to mention Pericles Pericleous (Hotel Guest Relations) he was brilliant at helping us sort out a very ill cat at the hotel by providing a cat basket & trying to help catch it! A task indeed where a feral cat is involved! For anyone who was there at the time & intested in whether the little grey kitten was OK, the good news is he was returned almost recovered 9 days later by the cat rescue vetinary service that Paphos run, & was re-united with his siblings!! P.S of course if you are nervous or alergic to cats, like all Cypriot resorts, there are many cats & kittens roaming around, so probably best to try someone else!!!"

• Travel date: Mon 14th of August 2006

Fantastic hotel !

Good

"My husband and I have just returned from a weeks stay at the Alexander for our honeymoon.
After reading several reviews on the Alex, some positive and negative, we decide this would be somewhere special for our honeymoon and we were not disapointed !

Our intial reaction was that we had paid too much for the weeks stay but after a few days at the hotel we realised that it wasn't just the hotel we paid for but the service they offered us which was excellent and worth paying abit more for.

The special personalised service such as the chocolates at bed time, allocated sunbeds (with mattresses!), clean rooms every day, waiter service by the pool, free air conditioning, all made the price worth paying.

We chose sunbeds on the grass overlooking the beach. This was out the way of the children by the pool and you received a nice sea breeze.

The beach at the Alex was small but lovely. After reading previous reviews, I expected alot of seaweed but this wasn't the case.

The rooms at the Alex was spacious and clean. It was great having a TV with a few english channels for when you are relaxing before your night out. We had a side room facing the road but it wasn't noisy, like I was expecting from the previous reviews.

We are only 25 and we thought we would feel abit intimidated by the 'grand' hotel and guests but this wasn't the case. They made you feel so welcome.

We knew the hotel it self would be expensive but we were surprised at the cost of drinks and to eat out in Paphos. The restaurants were very expensive compared to other holiday resorts we have been to but most of them had good quality food in nice surroundings.

I would recommend the stylish italian next to Mcdonalds (sorry I can't remember the name), fantastic real italian authentic food for a reasonable price.
Please stay away from the Adalaida as the steak is like tinned steak and there were several cockroaches in the restaurant, whilst we were eating!! not pleasant!

Paphos itself was lovely and the Alexander is perfectly placed..only a 20 minute walk to the beautiful habour and 5 minutes away from all the shops, bars and restaurants.

Overall we had a fantastic special honeymoon and we will definitely return for many of our anniversaries.

Thank you to the Alex !"

• Travel date: Tue 8th of August 2006

Good considering it was on a Saga contract....

"Three 29 year old girls stayed here for a week in May this year. We had a triple room with 3 single beds, tv, aircon, balcony and en-suite. The hotel itself was very nice, but I would say it was more of a 3/4* rather than 4*. Things that pulled down the rating in our eyes were the plastic cereal bowls at breakfast - are we 5? Also the aircon was a tad ancient and not overly effective. The decor was also a bit 'dated' and chintzy.
However, the fact that you're allocated your own sun lounger for the week of your stay was great, the views out to sea were fab, the pool was lovely and the guys offering water sports were extremely helpful and happy to do you a good deal if you do more than one activity! There were also waiters walking around the sun-loungers offering to get your drinks/snacks from the bar all day.
Because we went at the end of May (just before half term) it did seem like we were the youngest there by far, but we were also told that Saga had just finished their contract with the hotel - that'll explain all the oldies! By the time we left there, more and more couples and young families began appearing.
Location wise, it was perfect. Just close enough to the action for 'Bar Street' but far enough away not to be disturbed by any of the noise that goes along with an abundance of bars & clubs.
There's a great Chinese opposite the hotel and an array of other good restaurants when you leave the hotel to the left or right!"

• Travel date: Mon 7th of August 2006

First impressions can be decieving

"My girlfriend and myself have just returned from a fortnight in paphos at the alex. First impression of the hotel was WOW, but the more we got into the holiday, we realised that we paid too much, considering the other hotels nearby. We had a lovely sea-view room, with a double bed (which you have to request) but had to pay for tea and coffee facilities. If you did'nt put the 'do not disturb' sign on the door, the maids just burst in. Although we did'nt eat there, we were told the food was quite good but there were enough bars and tavernas with people outside trying to usher you in to feed you. One major plus was that you got allocated your sunbeds in the same spot throughout your stay, so no up with the larks. The hotel is kiddies friendly and the second week got a bit rowdy around the pool. If you are after a nice beach, you will be very disappointed. It could do with all the seaweed raking daily. All in all a good holiday was had, but it just lacked special something. So will we be going back, no."

• Travel date: Fri 4th of August 2006

nice hotel but so so deserted ...

"We went for a weeks holiday in early December with Saga.. They made out that the hotel was very difficult to book due to so many people wanting to go… if they were ,well they must have been in a different hotel to us. The hotel was all but deserted.. poss about 60 guests staying in it. Yes the food was fantastic as was the rooms and staff service. However only one of the feature restaurants were open, and no sign of any pool bars in any way open. A major point saga guests need to consider is you are treated like a second class person as you walk down a small corridor to the saga bar.. Actually its a small cold cabinet with some beers and soft drinks in it and a row of bottles of spirits to help yourselves to. Then its back down the corridor to the main bar to be stared at by the non saga guests thinking I believe "why are they bringing in there own drinks… Just on one occasion due to a wedding were we treated to been served in the main bar by the staff… what a difference to how you feel…
Basically saga you have a lot to answer for in providing a 2nd class service in this hotel… If you go with Thomas cook you receive what i dream to be a proper quality service at what i found out later to be a lower price.. Basically would I go to this hotel… Maybe.. but not with saga in any way… !!!!!!!"

• Travel date: Mon 23rd of December 2013

amazing

"just came back on 14 july 2010 having stayed at the this hotel,could not fault this hotel one bit from the moment we arrived till the moment we left,hotel is in prime location, all staff were amazing,smiles all day,rooms cleaned everyday and towels changed,although we went for b&b, we had a few meals in hotel,lot of places to eat only 5mins away,harbour is a great 15 min stroll away would i return to this hotel 100% yes "

• Travel date: Thu 15th of July 2010

Hotels near Alexander The Great Beach Hotel

Stayed at Alexander The Great Beach Hotel? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Alexander The Great Beach Hotel

• Midon by Midon

"Tourism driven and expensive. No local character. !! "

• Midon by Midon

"A superb range of Restaurants offering all cousines. "

• dvkknight by dvkknight

"Fat Mammas Restaurant "

• florie by florie

"Lovely place, not intimidated being ladies on our own "

• x7johnboy by x7johnboy

"love it amazing place "

• Christopher H by Christopher H

"Anything other than with saga "

Alexander The Great Beach Hotel is also called