Akteon Holiday Village

on the sea front of Chloraka Village , 8106 , Paphos , Cyprus , Europe

Could do much better

"We stayed in this hotel in march of this year I have only just managed to write this review it has taken me two weeks to calm down. Much has been stated of the staff being unfriendly this is very true especialy on Reception, unhelpfull unfriendly rude you name it, everything is to much trouble, the room we stayed in, 3 of us mind, all adults my Brother and his gilfriend lucky we were all family was billed as a one bedroom apartment when we stated this on reception we
were told non others were free and if there was, an upgrade of £20 a night each was needed. this we refused. although after walking around
the complex many apartments with a seperate bed room where unused.

The room itself had mould all over the upper walls no extractor in the window less bathroom so it doubled as a sauna as well. the tap in
the Kitchen area was holding on by a wing and a prayer, my brother reported this but nothing was done all week..there was also lack of hot water as the day went on untill it had heated up overnight. he also noticed the indoor swimming pool had a layer of scum above water
level where it had not been cleaned properly. When you are on Holiday
you try and go with the flow but this was not even a trickle 4* is sure aint. never again. And as far as our Rep was concerned he was as
usless as a chocolate teapot hardly saw him and he even managed to book us on the wrong trip, we all turned up on shorts and then found we were going to the Troodos Mountains not The Turtle Beach as we had booked. on the coach pickup we were given the wrong time and had to hang around for another two hours, a 'Carry On' film was begining to spring to mind, we went with Airtours

On the upside we got out a lot, hired a car, very cheap, and enjoyed the island the food was good plenty of it,and the Bingo caller was a Hoot.We will go back to this lovely Island, but just not at this Hotel ."

• Travel date: Thu 5th of April 2007

Below Average Accomodation Disgraceful Staff NOT 4*

"We booked our trip about 6 weeks before travel, and wanted a good quality 4 star standard property. In reality, what we got was 3* - at a push! There were 2 couples in our party, and made a request when we booked to have 2 upper floor apartments. When we arrived, we were located next to each other, but only one of us was on the upper floor. When we queried this at reception, we were informed by a very rude member of staff that they could not change this. (We later found out that the hotel was aprox 25% full!) The rooms were quite cold, so we enquired about the air con/heating in room, to be told we would have to leave cyp £10 deposit for the remote control - we paid, no problem. Later that day, we went for a stoll around the grounds - they are indeed very pleaseant, if not a little overgrown, but how surprised and disappointed were we to find that ALL of the pools were drained and being painted or cleaned and taped off. This was the case until the day we left, when the largest pool was filled
- typical! Before we went on holiday, I researched various web sites
to see if there were hairdryers in the rooms - web sites stated yes, so I left mine at home. Guess what - no hairdryer - you could get them from reception however, with another deposit of cyp £10! The room was OK - it needed a good paint in the main room and the bathroom had 2 scrappy bits of soap as toiletries (is it just me, or for 4* would you expect bubble bath/lotion etc also!) and, there was a nasty brown smear down the tiles next to the loo which stayed for 3 days until I cleaned it! Every time I went to reception, the staff were exceedingly rude - I had read this on previous postings, but thought, hey if the room and place is OK, so what! BUT, when the room/pool were not as I was expecting, this was the icing on the cake! On a positive, the breakfast was OK!"

• Travel date: Sun 25th of March 2007

Very average

"My husband and I have booked late deals before and have had mixed experiences. We chose Cyprus because we'd been many times before and love the Paphos area and have never stayed in a hotel there that we could describe as bad.
However, the Akteon was definitely on the lower end of the scale as far as cleanliness, friendliness and general pleasantness goes!
We arrived late in the evening and just wanted to go to have a quick bite to eat and go to our room,easier said than done, the complex is like a maze, we were given the key to our room and ended up trapsing round the place for ages trying to find our room, not really what we wanted to do at 10pm after a turbulent flight!
The hotel is situated right next to a really noisy night spot which had loud music blaring until the early hours on Friday and Saturday nights.
On waking the first morning there was ants crawling all over the bathroom and all over our toothbrushes, I still shudder thinking about that now!
The food was lovely, I can't fault the variety although it was only really just lukewarm which meant you had to eat it fast before it got completely cold!
The entertainment staff, Daniella and Michelle were fantastic, really friendly and happy and fantastic with children. They very nearly made up for how miserable and unpleasant the rest of the staff were. The bar staff were particularly miserable, you'd be extremely lucky to make eye contact with them, let alone raise a smile.
A short walk away, just up on the main Tomb of the Kings road is the most fantastic bar calles Jaspers where we lunched most days, the jacket potatoes are the size of rugby balls, needs to be seen to be believed!
Overall we had a lovely holiday although we wouldn't return to the Akteon. Don't be put off going if you have already booked as it is a good base for a holiday and the pool area is fantastic!"

• Travel date: Fri 2nd of March 2007

no go area

"holidayed here from 12-19 feb 2007
BE AWARE,it is not as per the brochure.it states you are only a few minutes walk to the quaint fishing harbour.Not true.It's a 20 euro return taxi fare.If you prefer,go by bus ,it's only a 1/2 mile walk to the bus stop.
Akteon at this time of the year is a definate no go.
from arrival to departure the staff will do their very best to make you feel unwelcome.Everything you request from either reception or the bar is met with a sense of contempt.
You really are stuck on the complex in the evenings.The entertainment is abysmal as is the evening buffet.A walk up to the Pentaras restaurant is a far better option.
I will admit the pool and surrounding area is lovely,a spacious pool with plenty of beds .
MIND YOUR MONEY.Cyprus is expensive. the evenig buffet will cost you 15 euro per person and drinks are costly.Only a smile is free,thats maybe why you wont get one from any of the rude ,arrogant,obnoxious staff.....
A return trip to Akteon?????
I DONT THINK SO...."

• Travel date: Tue 20th of February 2007

great base for a wonderful holiday

Good

"Have just returned from a wonderful two week holiday . The Akteon was an ideal base to explore West Cyprus, a hire care is somewhat of a necessity though. We stayed in a studio apartment which was clean, comfortable and spacious, and we were lucky to get one with a sea view, In fact my favourite thing was sitting on our balcony watching the sunset every day, simple but magical. The staff we found efficient and courteous, especially when I needed to find a local dentist for emergency treatment, which incidentally was excellent and cheap! All in all no complaints, it served it's purpose more than adequately."

• Travel date: Sun 3rd of December 2006

Great Holiday Spot

"The accomodation is in 26 two story blocks (about 220 rooms). Reception and dining facilities are excellent. The pools are large and clean. Staff are very helpful, and the sport organisers are good and friendly.

The holiday village sits on top of a cliff and the nearest beach is about ten minutes walk to the north in front of the St Georges Hotel. It is man made, but sandy, with great snorkelling in the little harbour and around the outside of it.

During our stay the weather was sunny every day and around 30 degrees. We were grateful for the air conditioning in our room (extra payment needed for self catering guests) because of the high humidity. The sea was warm even down to ten feet when I was snorkelling and watching the myriads of wonderful fish.

Car hire very useful, but frequent cheap bus service into Paphos town & harbour, and to Coral Bay beaches is only a few minutes walk to the main road bus stop away.

Highly recommended."

• Travel date: Mon 16th of October 2006

silver wedding anniversary experience

"Our stay at Akteon was to celebrate our 25th wedding anninversay as we met in Cyprus. It is not called the island of love for no reason. The accommodation is first class being part of the Sunterra group and the entertainement superb. It was our first holiday without the children so the location, hospitality and service was just great."

• Travel date: Fri 13th of October 2006

Excellence to the End

"After booking our first holiday together my self and my Partner started to read reviews of the Aketon and I must say was not over confident. However I decided to take these comments in my stride and make my own decsion good or bad and from the tile I’m sure you can see what they are. We went all inclusive for one week and I can say that as a hotel manager and my first holiday in 6 years I will most definitely return, I took on board what the reviews were saying about the staff treating all inclusive guest as second class customers, this is true on our first day until I realized that even though you do not have to pay for your drink, a small gratuity always helps and very soon all the staff could not do enough for us both, The meals are excellent although knowing how the industry works people staying for two weeks would be better eating out at least twice or it will become repetitive, Eating out in the paphos area is not expensive and you can get very good 3 course meals for around 4 cyp, The facilities in the hotel are excellent and the entertainers although geared for the young and families are excellent, Michelle and Danielle very good with the kids and adults alike. As a young couple we felt a small bit out of place as it seemed to be older couples and families staying at the hotel this in the end did not discourage us at all we met some lovely people while there. Should be deciding Where to go for something to or a bit of a special occasion I thoroughly recommend the yakuso Japanese restaurant on the tombs of the kings road Stella and her staff are fantastic and made our night very special. All in all I found our trip an extreme pleasure and if I were to give one bit of advice to all inclusive guest, a small tip goes a long way ( its only manners and we do at home ) Should you have any further questions about the hotel or the area please e-mail me [email protected]"

• Travel date: Thu 5th of October 2006

worth a visit

Good

"overall myself and girlfriend were very impressed with the accomodation, the rooms are spacious and kept very clean, maid service was second to none, (i got more than i bargained for!!) the russian wannabe greek girls behind reception and the bar area are polite and hard working, the pool is massive with lots of activities for kids (and grown ups)..
we hired a car to get around as its a few miles from all the action, clubs are obissmal, bars are ok but only during the busy months, the music round the pool was strange to say the least, one minite there playing abba or some cheesy old school tunes, the next there playing uncut versions of james blunt or eminem so prepare your kids ears for some explicit lyrics.. apart from that we had a very good time there and the food was decent.. thank u for reading our way it is review.."

• Travel date: Sat 23rd of September 2006

Second Rate Service for all inc guests

"My husband and I travelled to the Akteaon Vilage on 27th August for our 2 week honeymoon. We had a good time, but was told that it would be good for young couples and honeymooners. This was not the case, on the first week the hotel was full of families, which was fine as they brought some entertainment to the hotel. The hotel itself was lovely with nice decor and very clean. The location was a bit out of the way but easy enough to get to local attarctions via bus, taxi but this can be expensive.

Having read some previous reviews on the trip advisor website we'd heard about guests staying on all inclusive basis were treated differently, we discovered this a few days into out stay, when the restuarant staff would wait on paying guests first, and leaving us to order drinks when we had finished dessert! When we went to the pool bar and the restaurant we could see them looking for our wrist band as we approached the bars, the staff were unfriendly and sometimes arrogant.

The food in the restaurant was very repetative on the first week which i think in our exoerience of all inclusive this is the way it is, but at the end of the first week, we were having lunch and i bit into some pasta which was very hard - not the pasta but a big piece of sharpe galss! I informed the waiter and the manager came to investigate, nothing much was offered although he did apologise, but our concern was that a child could have swallowed that.

The evening entertainment was fun for children and families, but again a bit repetative.

Overall although we were unhappy with the some of the service we had a good holiday and the sun shone all day everyday and we really relaxed. I would not give it 5 stars as some brochures suggest but maybe 3 stars."

• Travel date: Thu 14th of September 2006

Change the entertainment

"We were not impressed with check-in. We live in Cyprus and unfortunately do not have a printer at the moment. We wrote down the booking reference hoping this would suffice. We were advised to get back in our car and go into town and email them our booking. We showed them the booking reference. She even had a sheet of paper infront of her with our name and reference which matched ours. We asked if we could use their computer and she advised us their internet is not free and we would have to pay. Not helpful. After we insisted, we were allowed to check in if we provided the details later. If you can't carry your own suitcause up to your room, you may have to leave your suitcase in reception till someone can bring it to your room.

The hotel looks fantastic and the gardens around the rooms are amazing. The pool is huge. It is very good for kids as there is a large shallow area. This is also good to sunbathe in for the adults! I would get up before 10 to make sure you get a sunbed as they may be gone by then. I do think there should be a few more sunbeds as we couldn't get a couple till about 3pm.

The view to the sea is lovely and if you fancy a walk, there is a path leading down to a cove where lots of people went swimming late on.

Location - If you're the type of person that wants to leave the all-inclusive for a while and go for drinks elsewhere, you'd have to get a taxi as the bars are not within walking distance. If you're quite happy with staying in the hotel all the time, it's fine.

Rooms - The staying rooms are fine. We were lucky that our aircon was on constant even when we weren't in the room. My partner found the beds unbearable and had to catch up on sleep on his sunbed in the morning. Other people also complained about this. I actually found them fine.

Cats - I happen to like cats but if you're not a fan I'd give this hotel a miss.

Food - The food was hit and miss. I'd always find something I could eat but it wouldn't have been something I would have chosen or necessarily want to eat again. My partner really disliked the food apart from breakfasts and often favoured the snack bar instead. For a treat, we went to the shop and bought ourselves a pizza to have in the room.

Entertainment - Please change it. Having Bingo on every night at 9.30 is okay for the people that want to play Bingo but not for the rest. I also think the price of 5 euros a game is a bit steep to play every night. Like lots of people we sat and played cards instead while we got very drunk so we could cope with the entertainment. The lady singer is terrible and putting the microphone in people's faces hoping they'll sing really isn't good. The fire show was excellent. The cabaret wasn't really that funny. Casino night - no no. It's all very cheesy. Other people we talked to couldn't cope with the food or entertainment and went elsewhere.

I would not say it was 4 star. We were told that the hotel had been downgraded to a 3 star but I don't know how true this is. We wouldn't stay here again because of the entertainment. "

• Travel date: Tue 3rd of July 2012

Nothting for the kids

"This is a very good hotel, the rooms are clean and comfy. the food is very good but nothing for children. the bar staff are brilliant. But as we had children there was nothing for them to do, no daytime entertanment and only some thing monday to friday on an evening. The reception was very rude and not helpfull. I know its febuary but this is not what we asked for, we wanted some thing for a family and this is not a family friendly hotel. Had a great holiday thought thanks to the bar staff."

• Travel date: Tue 21st of February 2012

Hotels near Akteon Holiday Village

Stayed at Akteon Holiday Village? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Akteon Holiday Village

• karen080309.150309 by karen080309.150309

"There is something for everyone regardless of what you are looking for. "

• karen080309.150309 by karen080309.150309

"The Akteon food was so good and varied that we felt no need to go anywhere else. Coral Bay is lovely "

• sheribromell by sheribromell

"we visited the harbour the views are beautiful . "

• Kizlulu by Kizlulu

"paphos is wonderfull lots to do and see "

• suelee by suelee

"love paphos and the people are so nice "

• suelee by suelee

"devonshire restaurant best fichcake in cyprus "

• carolyn ronning by carolyn ronning

"the mountains are breathtaking "

• carolyn ronning by carolyn ronning

"trodos mountains and corol beach "

• Legs by Legs

"Ok if young group not bothered about service "

• cuff72 by cuff72

"This hotel is not fantastic for anything apart from sun and you can get that anywhere "

• E Davies by E Davies

"Great time to be had!! "

• UK Resident by UK Resident

"Very hot, perfect holiday for the whole family "

• GIGGLER by GIGGLER

"You must try this hotel "

• Sophie by Sophie

"Take goggles if your going to use the indoor pool. "

Akteon Holiday Village is also called