Holiday Inn Nicosia City Centre

70 Regeana Street, Nicosia 2121 Cyprus

Good

A comfortable hotel

"We stayed at the Nicosia Holiday Inn for two nights in mid-March.
We stayed in a very spacious room on the 2nd floor, which was very clean, hospitable (cookies and fruit upon arrival), had a huge TV and was very comfortable.
During our stay, we were very pleased to experience none of the problems previous travellers had mentioned. The room was extremely quiet. Although the room was on the front road, we had no problema with traffic or other noises.
We had no problems whatsoever with cleanliness and all our requests were met promptly. The beds were very comfortable indeed.
Breakfast was of good quality and plentiful and staff in the breakfast room eager to help
I would also recommend the hotel for its central location"

• Travel date: Mon 17th of March 2008

Some merit, little distinction...

"I can only speak of the out-of-season experience here - accommodation was reasonable, but housekeeping and cleaning seemed very hit and miss (often the latter); the Italian restaurant was quite acceptable, and, with Bistrot 1900 across the other side of Ledra St, completed the list of two good Euro restaurants in Nicosia. When I did observe the hotel to be rather busy, the breakfast staff were not able to cope very well; with fewer of us they managed quite effectively. I was glad to have a room positioned midway between the 6th floor night-club, and the street, as being the only way to survive the noise. The foyer refreshment area is not special, and pricey as well; two grubby computer stations in the foyer were not inspiring either. The internet 'cafe' a few doors down was the better option (with Skype headsets). I suspect that at the height of the season things could be worse at this hotel, and I shall go elsewhere on another visit."

• Travel date: Wed 9th of January 2008

Very Strange Housekeeping

"I had to stay for three weeks on business, and I selected this hotel because it seemed to have good facilities, but actually it was quite a weird place.

I used the pool quite often, as I like swimming, but it was open shorter hours than advertised on the website and in the brochures in the room. It was also used every time I was there (except Sunday morning) by a swimming teacher for local children, one to four children at a time, which I hadn't expected.

The food at Bonzai Japanese restaurant was excellent, although the chefs (very friendly) were from the Philippines, not Japan. The other restaurant Vivere served such enormous meals that I could never eat more than a first course. Both were quite expensive.

The breakfast was nice, but to get coffee, you had to ask a waiter to bring it, rather than getting it from the buffet, and, if it was crowded, or the waiters just decided to go walkabout into the kitchen, you could go without entirely!

The room was not bad, I was away from all the noisy things on the 3rd floor. But the housekeeping! One day I came back at 7:30pm, having been at work all day since 8:30am, to find that the room had not been cleaned. When I told the front desk (the Housekeeping number on the phone never answered), they said I must have put the "Do Not Disturb" sign out, which was not correct. They did call the maid for me to clean while I was having dinner, but she wasn't happy about it.

The maid also left me several times without towels, handtowels or face cloths, sometimes all three.

And the really great day was when I left my washing in the bag in my room with the "washing" sign on the door, at 8am, when I went to work. When I came back in the evening, the sign had been removed from the door and placed on top of the bag of unwashed washing inside the room! This was unbelievably inconvenient, and the front desk didn't apologise or offer to get it done urgently for me.

I wouldn't stay there again, with such erratic service, and it is really very expensive for these things to happen."

• Travel date: Tue 4th of December 2007

High prices low level of services

"I have been in many Holiday Inn hotels in many cities for many years, but this one has nothing to do with the famous firm. It's an extremely expensive hotel taking into account the a so low level of services provided.
The only advantages is the location in the center of Nicosia and the size of the rooms. But....
Everything here is so noisy. I had an executive room (all executive rooms are located on the 1st floor!!!) and I couldn't sleep all night. The nose from the main road was horrible.
The cleanliness of the room is doubtful. Especially this moquette on the floor must be there for many many years....
The bathroom is OK if you don't take into account the always wet and stained buthtab (because of a water leakage...)
The hotel provides wireless internet access to its clients at a very high cost
The hotel is very ... smelly. I don't know how happens and when you are in the corridor you feel like being in the reastaurant.
The reception is very friendly, but all the above this is the least you could expect...."

• Travel date: Mon 25th of June 2007

Executive Rooms Only if you like loud music until 0230am

"I have been staying at the Holiday Inn in Nicosia for most of the year since June on business. The hotel was selected due to its location near to the Ledra Street crossing into the north. The rooms are tired and in the process of being refurbished. Throughout the summer you should avoid the higher floor rooms if you need to sleep, due to the Marco Polo live misic blasting out into the early hours. As I had to work over Christmas my family joined me so I booked executive rooms what a mistake they are right above the function rooms and as mentioned on other reviews the noise is like haviing a rock group playing live in your room until 0230 int he morning which is hopeless if you are trying to sleep. Complaints about the noise go un-answered. My advice if you have to stay is to ask for a midfloor room numbered between room 08 - 11 on the floor eg 408 its the best of a poor situation."

• Travel date: Sun 31st of December 2006

Acceptable for 1 nighters

"Just spent 1 night on Sunday. After reading reviews from other members about this particular property, it is confirmed that all mentioned in the other reviews were correct. Although reception did the jobs what they required to do (just checking in people and hand the key. No explanations about breakfast, restaurants, other hotel facilities or even where the guest lift was, etc. We had to ask!), no personality at all in this hotel and staff. Neither Holiday Inn characteristics nor Cypriot characteristics. It was just a city hotel with minimum services and facilities. Our room was on 1st floor and right above function room on Mezzanine floor and could hear all the noise from the lobby and function room. Corridors smelt of food at the time of arrival (4.30pm), after evening out (10.30pm) and the following morning (6.30am)...all the time which was not so pleasant. Bonzai Japanese Restaurant within the hotel was closed on Sunday night, although hotel advertises it opens for 7 days. Instead, we were offered to sit at the bar and order food from Bonzai restaurant. We did not eat at the Bonzai restaurant as the Bar looked busy and we did not think it was appropriate to eat at the bar when paying for the full prices for the proper restaurant. So, we were off to Seiko Japanese restaurant which was only 5 minutes walk from the hotel and the service and atmosphere was great. Lastly, the hotel was over heated throughout the day. The outside temperature on the night was 2 degrees but we were sweating in the room without in-room heating. Had to remove bedspread, blanket and sheets not to sweat during the night although our windows were wide open over night. The temperature was controlled by central heating system of the hotel and we couldn't do anything. For 1 nighters, it's a decent hotel to stay. Municipal car parking right opposite to the hotel (CY£1.90 for overnight) and most of cafes and shops within easy walking distance. Buffet breakfast had wide range of choices and nicely displayed. We may stay else where if we visit Nicosia again in future."

• Travel date: Wed 29th of November 2006

Second stay - I will definitely not be returning for a third.

"Decided on giving the Holiday Inn a second try, only because of its close location to the green zone which I had to cross daily for a client on the other side. While the staff still remains friendly and as accomodating as they can be, the conditions of the hotel greatly outweigh this. Last time I was on the 6th floor right below the restaurant/club. The noise once they opened, was intolerable. This time, I was on the second floor facing the main street. And while having a room with a balcony was nice, that was about it. My room was right next door to the service elevator and stairwell. Every morning for two weeks, the cleaning staff was quite loud - right outside of my door. In addition, not only did music carry through the stairwell, it carried also from the restaurant on the first floor which had live music on certain nights. While I understand the need for entertainment, this went on till 2:30 in the morning including on week nights. Clearly, management does not understand that their first and utmost priority should be to the lodgers of their establishment, not the restaurant/club patrons. Aside from very worn rooms and uncomfortable beds there seems to be zero ventiliation system in the hotel. Given anytime of the day, you will smell the restaurant odors throughout the halls. I have had several colleagues who have stayed here in the last six months and they all echo the same sentiments. They have all moved to the Centrum down the street. Regardless of the fact, that I am a Platinum Priority club member - I will no longer stay at the Holiday Inn on my next visits. Forget the fact that the Holiday Inn is a well known name, for the sake of sanity - stay somewhere else."

• Travel date: Tue 21st of November 2006

Acceptable for one night only!

"This is a totally characterless hotel and could be anywhere in the world. There is nothing Greek about its atmosphere and the cuisine available reinforces the point. It is however clean and would suit a single person on business or a couple wanting to spend one night only in Nicosia and see the sights there, such as they are. This is because the rooms – or at least the one experienced – are very small and cramped indeed and there was little space free around the double bed. The air-conditioner is cunningly sited directly under the curtains so that the cold air blasts up to be trapped behind them, thus making temperature control somewhat problematical. The Marco Polo restaurant on the roof is to be avoided if any conversation is to be attempted – a dancing floor at the other end of the roof was subject to thumping “music” that must have breached all known regulations for allowable noise levels. Service was slow in the extreme, the food adequate but not memorable and certainly not worth the price – but then Cyprus is expensive. Back in the bathroom the remains of a soap tablet were stuck firmly to the bath – the narrow bottom of which was so steeply concave that standing in it for a shower was quite hazardous. A particularly unpleasant aspect of the hotel was the small advertisement in the room proclaiming in several languages that Blue Movies were available on a 24-hour basis. It is unpleasant to feel that one is in an establishment that panders to guests with such tastes and it is a good reason why parents travelling with children should avoid it. The morning wake-up call requested was seven minutes late, which is unacceptable when an automated system is being used. The breakfast buffet was acceptable but bland. The final verdict is that this is a hotel to avoid unless you have to spend one night in Nicosia – and if you’ve a longer stay in mind, find somewhere else!"

• Travel date: Mon 18th of September 2006

Short stay in Nicosia

"We stayed at the Holiday Inn Nicosia Center, two nights in August 2006. The room was a good size for the price (£96 cy per night) with a nice bathroom and plenty of towels. The room was nicely decorated. The floor our rooms were on was non smoking, but the room was used by smokers. Two ashtrays, full, were outside the window. Tea & coffee making equipment was present which is missing from many continental hotels, I felt the quantities were mean – Although the staff were happy to supply more FOC. The room was air conditioned but only active when a key card is inserted in the electric control box; this meant the room took a long time to be comfortable (Nicosia is very hot in August). A room safe was provided at no extra cost. We used two of the hotel restaurants. The Chez Nous restaurant used for breakfast was open until 10:30am. Even dining close to the closing time there was a very good choice of foods, and the staff were very attentive. The Vivere Restaurant (Italian) had a good selection of starters, main courses & sweets. Our choice, two courses with a nice wine was £50 cy for two adults. – All excellent. The staff, although serving another party of about 25 diners, still managed our requirements with unhurried style 9/10. Use of a computer in the lobby was £3 cy per 30 minute. Access to the internet via Wi-fi was £6 cy per day. I felt that the Wi-fi should be provided free in the light of this class of hotel and the low cost of connection today. The reception staff were very pleasant, even though the staff did advise incorrectly about the opening times of the Cyprus museum. The hotel is convenient for the Old town and many restaurants are within walking distance."

• Travel date: Wed 16th of August 2006

pretty average

"The Holiday inn was disappointing. I have stayed in a lot of HI but this one was pretty awful. The rooms were lousy although having a balcony helped. It was quite noisy and the rooms were also very small and shabby. The lift was slow and the staff lacksidasical! There were 2 nice restaurants. In particular the rooftop bar and restaurant was lovely and the locals said they went there dancing! My suggestion is that you find a nicer hotel and go for the dancing too! Don't stay at the Nicosia HI!"

• Travel date: Sat 22nd of July 2006

Hotels near Holiday Inn Nicosia City Centre

Stayed at Holiday Inn Nicosia City Centre? Share your insight.

Holiday Inn Nicosia City Centre is also called