Arsinoe Beach Hotel

62 Amathoundos Ave., P.O. Box 1389 , 3504 , Limassol , Cyprus , Europe

Good

Great staff shame about the place

"Just returned after a two week stay at this hotel, which I have visited on previous occasions place reeks of tobacco smoke and is in need of a complete refurbishment.
The 'entertainment' bingo, however the staff are excellent.
The evening meals were absolutely appalling consisting mainly of pork ,carrots, carrots and yet more carrot's! not to forget carrot soup.There was a distinct lack of visitors to the island, In the immediate vicinity of the hotel numerous hotels and bars are closing for good . I am not surprised at £2.07p for a small bottle of beer. I have been a visitor to Cyprus for over 35 years and it would appear that I distinct effort is being made to price themselves out of the market. Sadly it will be some time before I return to the island, if ever."

• Travel date: Sun 18th of May 2008

Don't go here unless you are a smoker.

"First impressions on arrival were,"My God, does everyone smoke here?" As we entered the reception area, all I could smell was tobacco. The reception was quite efficient and we quickly went to our room. I can only describe it as tired. The walls may have been papered recently and it was clean, but the furnishings were old and there were holes in the curtains.

The food was on the whole reasonable. The breakfasts were very samey, with a choice every day of cereals, fruit, toast of different types, cheese, cold (processed ugh!) meats and a fry up of sorts. Generally mini frankfurters or bacon, scrambled and or boiled and or fried eggs, beans and or tomatoes. You could eat as much as you liked, and as I was half board, I loaded up for the day. Eevning meals consisted of a generally pretty dull soup with rolls, a good choice of salads (the best bit of the meal) then a choice of main courses, usually several meat options, a vegetarian and a fish. If you want the lot, then you can have them, eating as much as you could manage was certainly on the cards if that is what you want to do. The dessert was usually a choice of 4 or 5 sweets, usually packet type mixes of cakes, gateaux, meringues etc, not my cup of tea.

The bar in the evening was very smokey, and if you are a non-smoker, don't come here, it impregnated everything. We could also smell it in our room and it drifted through the window at night. The air con in the room was not good either. The entertainment in the bars was not good, karaoke, quiz night and bingo being the main things on offer.

The pool areas were nice, but there was building work going on beside the main pool at an adjoining hotel. I would imagine this will be going on for some time, it was annoying. The weather was beautiful though. There were cats everywhere outside, but they didn't really bother us, despite not being cat people. What did bother me however was the noise of cars and motorbikes, especially high powered ones driving down the road outside especially at night up to about 2.30am at ridiculous speeds. I saw one motorbike doing a wheelie directly outside at about 70 mph. This is a real danger and someone is likely to get killed if this is not sorted out.

The hotel itself is a few miles out of Limassol, and there is not a lot immediately around it. If you want to explore, rent a car, unfortunately I forgot my driving licence. The beach in front of the hotel is quite narrow, but pleasant at this time of year with no one using it. The sea was fine and not cold really, all the beaches we found were blue flag marked.

The prices in shops and cafes were not cheap at all, I expected it to be comparable to Greece where I went last year, but I think because of the rise in value of the Euro, everything has changed, there are no cheap shops in this area.

This area is to be honest in need of some serious work, it is faded and tatty. This was my first time in Cyprus and it was to be fair an added extra toour summer holiday. We paid less than £400 for a week half board each inc transfers. Despite the price though, i won't be going back to this hotel or resort, perhaps I will have to pay more next time."

• Travel date: Sat 19th of April 2008

It used to be a great value hotel

"My wife and I visit Cyprus twice sometimes three times a year, and have stayed at several hotels on the Eastern side of Limassol. The Navaria, Golden Arches and Tansania apartments. along with the Arsinoe. We first stayed at the Arsinoe June 2000 and I have to say that the value for money was great. Sadly the state of the hotel is in need for renovation, the quality of the food has fallen to a level that I would think almost impossible to achieve. The cleaning of the rooms seems to be a bit "hap hazard" with regards to time of service or quality of cleaning.
The entertainment has gone over the years from booking top resort entertainers to Old Bill with the beard doing a quiz or Bingo night.
Friday night is Cyprus night and for the last ten years has always been burnt or under cooked BBQ food the Cyprus Glass dance, the breakfast menu is basically the same 3 times a week though the fried eggs appear which are like rubber and solid. The evening menu is generally "Stew" bones with a bit of meat on them. (sometimes its hard to ascertain the type of meat)
The lobby bar at the reception area is the general place for meeting friends during the day and early evening, and the staff are very pleasant in most respects.
Knowing Cyprus as I do having lived there as a serviceman and visiting so often I find it hard to comprehend why so many staff leave or are asked to leave. The head waiter has changed three times in the last five years, as have the head chefs. The quality of the food is a direct link to the budget given to the catering staff and not the ability of the chefs. its hard to make Beef Wellington with half a pound of mince.
Needless to say we will not be staying again which is sad, but the Hotel is just not what it was."

• Travel date: Wed 2nd of April 2008

better than expected

"Well having read the reviews we arrived at our hotel, arsinoe beach hotel with a lot of trepidation. We were welcomed by maria the receptionist who quickly and kindly sorted out our key and just let us know that the evening meal service was coming to a close ,so just drop our bags in our room and come straight back down.( the flight had been delayed and so arrived a few hours later than we had expected) The room was clean and welcoming, the food for three star fantastic. Every night we had a cavery meat( the week we stayed we had beef,lamb,pork, gammon as cavery meat ) aswell as chicken, steak and fish dishes to choose from. the staff were warm and friendly from those clearing tables to the managers. I would certainly recommend this hotel. the time of year we went ment it was quite other than the elections and some local festival that involved the kids having one big egg and flour fight on one of limassol's big car parks. the beaches though were lovely aswell as a lovely walk from one end of limassol to the other.
J.M. WALSALL WEST MIDS"

• Travel date: Mon 17th of March 2008

it has been better

"Well..my family has stayed in this hotel around 15 times!!and what a lovely place it use to be..the staff was very friendly and they made time to come and speak to you..now they r still friendly but they are not the same!i think it is all down to the new manager not a nice man!!he never spoke a word to us in all the time we had stayed there!!the receptionists was very rude this year! It was unfourtunat that one member of the party who was with us was taken to hospital due to heart problems.and with all the years we have been going there you would of though they would of cared but the only staff that cared was yanis and the other man on the pool bar!
The food:
it is ok!the soup is usually cold b the main food has gone much better!
The Rooms:
they are very clean you can not fault it!
.if you go to limmason i recomend that you go to lady mile beach and go right to the end !it;s a nice breeze!and the resturant there is lovely...and you must visit the fusori water park it is a fantastic place!what an enjoyable time we had there was 17 of us!!!
.oh and another thing ..if you don;t like cats ...DO NOT VISIT THIS HOTEL!!there are alot of scrounging cats!!"

• Travel date: Fri 18th of January 2008

Wow :)

"Went to Limasol In August 07 Went with my mum for quality mother/ daughter time :)
it was overall an Excellent holiday !

Hotel - The Hotel was amazing, its a 3 star hotel but you would think that you were staying in a 4 verging on 5 star hotel, the lobby is great and the pool is fantastic.

the food - Like any hotel buffet food was not all great but it certainly was better than some places Ive been to, there was a variety of food most nights and breakfast was lovely there is also fruit juices throughout the day and you can also get freshly squeezed orange juice

staff - the staff were absolutly fantastic :) very friendly and always wanted to help got to know them very very well and went out after the hotel bar closed to pubs and clubs with a few of them.

rooms - The rooms were cleaned daily and were of a good standard but sometimes the maids came a bit too early in the morning and we had to request they came a little later.

location - In my opinion the location was perfect It was right acroos the road from the beach near to local shops and only a bus ride in to the town where you can go shopping :)

excursions - Aiya Napa = wow aiya napa was excellent the temperature in aiya napa was boiling there are lots of watersports to participate in and prices were lower in aiya napa for most watersports. However the excursion doesnt give u that much time to fully explore aiya napa so i would recommed renting a car or quad bike ;) lol and driving down there for a few days .

aphro's rock - one word Beautiful !! definatly recommed this .

Entertainment - varied entertainment nights in the hotel including Kareoke, singers, and a magician

again have to say that the staff were brilliant and still keep in touch with a few of them now they really made the holiday great.

oh and also there were lots of wild cats and kittens that seem to have inhabited the outside of the hotel and bush areas they are soooo sweet theres a little ginger and white one which is called tiger and is playfull ."

• Travel date: Thu 17th of January 2008

Fair enough but not for honeymooners

"This was our honeymoon, so we were expecting that little bit extra from our holiday accomodation.

If you want magnificent meals, excellent entertainment, quiet and peaceful location, then the Arsinoe may not be for you....
To be quite honest, they were the only bad points.
The food, especially breakfast was unvaried, having catered for more continentals rather than the English contingent present. Evening meals were OK, but after the first week, the wife and I got bored and resorted to eating out most nights (if you do, visit the Stallion Inn).
Evening entertainment is very repitive throughout the week. When we stayed, the main artist, "Mr Nicholas" as he liked to call himself, consisted of his electric guitar and his strange voice. He'd murder songs frequently on Monday's, Wednesday's and Friday's every week.
The hotel location is located on the main coast road with a good beach across from it. That said, during the night and sometimes in the day, the motorbikes and boy-racers come out to play and screeching wheels could give you insomnia.
At the end of the two weeks we were both glad to get home to good old England."

• Travel date: Fri 19th of October 2007

A great hotel...

"We stayed in the Arsinoe Beach hotel from 8 - 15 Aug 07. We had read some of the negative reviews on this site before going, but from past experience, did not let them affect our choice. My wife and I are 51 and 52, with grown-up children, so bear that in mind in our review, as it may affect how we see things.

Overall, this is a good hotel, correctly rated as 3 star. We found the room a bit small and a little tatty, but it was adequate for our needs and we had no complaints whatsoever. We were lucky in being allocated a room with a front sea view, so we were happy enough. The staff are all very friendly and always helpful. The room was cleaned daily except Sundays and linen/towels were changed every 3 days.

Fridges are available to hire from Reception for £10 per week and ours was delivered within 10 mins of asking for it when we checked in. We found it invaluable for our bottled water (£1.80 for a pack of 6 x 2 litre bottles from the local mini mart) and bottled beer (£0.90 for a pint bottle of Carlsberg or Keo from the same place). Just to give you an idea, the hotel prices were £0.50 for a half litre bottle of water and £1.70 for a pint of beer, so the fridge easily paid for itself in what we saved as we sat on our balcony for a couple of warmers each evening! Most spirits in the local mini mart were around 60% cheaper than the UK, but cokes/lemonades were similar price to what we normally pay. We also bought ice from the mini-mart (£1.50 a pack) and kept it in the ice making compartment of the fridge for Bacardi and cokes!

There are no tea/coffee making facilities in the room, but we brought our travel kettle with us along with the essential British teabags! (Be aware that the hotel literature bans the use of personal kettles and irons for 'health and safety reasons', but we found no problems, and were not challenged). All rooms have safety deposit boxes which cost £5 per week.

As others have mentioned, the lifts can be a nightmare. We were on the 5th floor, and therefore needed the lift. However, of the 3 lifts, we found only one worked for the entire period of the holiday. The hotel constantly had engineers out fixing the other 2 which worked around 75% of the time of our stay. Also, the air conditioning in the room was not as effective as we have been used to in the past, and is only just adequate. The Reception and Bar areas were the only places we found with a effective air-con.

We found the food generally very good. Breakfast consisted of cereals, cheese/ham/tomatoes/ bread rolls or for hot choice there was always baked beans, eggs (fried boiled or omellette) with an alternation every 3 days of bacon, mini frankfurter type sausages or mini traditional sausages. There was aways a queue for the toaster and bread usually had to go round the toaster twice to be the right colour! Evening meals consisted of soup or salad starters, with a daily roast alternating between lamb, pork, gammon or beef. There was also fish or chicken roast potatoes and 2 veg every day. I can understand the reviews written by younger couples who berate the hotel for a lack of choice for their children. I'm sure that this would have been a problem for them. We were Half Board, but only discovered during Week 2 that if you wanted to, you could eat a Lunch instead of an evening meal. This proved useful to us on a couple of occassions. If you want to do this, you need to eat the buffet provided in the Restaurant and give your room number, telling them that it was in lieu of the evening meal. Do not (as friends of our did) order from the Pool Bar menu thinking that it would be your substitute lunch. You will be charged!

The 2 hotel bars were good and reasonably priced, but more expensive than the local bars. However, every day there was a 'cocktail of the day' priced at £1.70 instead of £2.50, and a happy hour from 9.30 pm to 10.30 pm during which local drinks (including all cocktails) were half price. This did not include beers or minerals, but made the cocktail of the day a mere £0.85 pence! There was entertainment on each evening, not everyones cup of tea, but hey, you're on holiday in Cyprus! Enjoy! The local bars within walking distance of the Arsinoe had no entertainment except large screen satellite TVs with football showing, so the choice is yours. We enjoyed it all.

There is a beach within easy walking distance (5 mins) across the road, with sunbeds and unbrellas but no toilets or food/drink facilities (although cross the road back again for mini-marts). This beach is dark sand and has a very gentle gradient into the water and is therefore suitable for kids (An adult could wade out for 100 feet and still have the water at mid-body height) We hired a car for 4 days (£135 including a full tank in sterling terms - I just received my Visa bill). We found the best beach around to be Governor's Beach (about 20Km East of the hotel). We also went to Lady's Mile Beach (about 10Km West of the hotel) but the water was definitely cooler there due to stronger currents and more open water. It is still safe for children though, with the same gentle gradient.

All in all, we had a great holiday. We are no strangers to Cyprus, but it was the first time we have stayed in the Arsinoe Beach Hotel. We would certainly recommend it to you.

David and Letitia."

• Travel date: Sun 26th of August 2007

Lifts Are A Nightmare!!!

"Lifts.... What lifts????
6th Floor and more than a few occasions, not one lift worked. Even on the evening we arrived, we were told that we would have to take the lift to the 5th floor and then carry our luggage up the stairs to the 6th. Sorry but not a good first impression.
Bar staff very friendly. When explaining to a man on reception at about 12am that the lifts weren't working and i am recovering from a broken leg, he swiftly turned on his heel and said 'Not my Problem'... his exact words. Nice.

Pool was a nightmare. Towels on loungers from very early (about 7am) and loads of kids jumping in and out. Not really suitable for my son who can't swim.

Straight across the road was much better... lovely gently shelving sands, plenty of water sports and a lovely breeze from about 12 noon on.

Food at hotel was ok but they need to cater more for kids in the evenings. Chips were on the buffet menu once and i'm sure that it wasn't just us who were having problems getting our child to eat anything.

Only a short transfer from the airport but def in the quieter area of things. But i think i would have preferred that having seen all the topless bars on the strip when arriving!!!

Would receommend Paphos. Must nicer area."

• Travel date: Wed 22nd of August 2007

Loved the Arsinoe, great value!

"We stayed in the Arsinoe in June 2007. We arrived and were allocated our hotel room quickly - we promptly dumped our bags and went for a look about.

We found it was quite a walk to the main town area, plenty of little bars and cafes nearby but the main town area was a taxi ride away. We found no problems getting a taxi, straight outside the hotel, they stop anywhere and its one straight road up! only costs around £4.

There is a FANTASTIC bar next door, called Rums. Lovely decking seating area, really chilled out place to have a nice drink. We spent loads of time here, sitting in the sun during the day and our last port of call on a night.

The hotel itself has a lovely pool towards the back, and a quieter rectangular pool at the side. We spent the majority of time at the quiet pool. Was soooo hot, we arrived at the start of the heatwave, but plenty of sunbeds with umbrellas so was bearable.

The food - well, we never made breakfast, finishes at 9:30am and we arent keen on getting up that early on holidays!! but the evening meals are lovely - a change of menu everyday, not massive choice but adequate enough. The seating area lovely, out by the back pool, background music made it a nice environment.

The staff all very friendly and the rooms all very clean, maids cleaned - and tidied - our rooms every day apart from sunday.

The only thing about Limassol is that the area around the Arsinoe is a little quiet for young people. We were told that they are catering towards older people which was fine with us, but younger people might want something a little more lively.

For what we paid it was a great hotel - I would recommend it."

• Travel date: Sat 18th of August 2007

Not a place to visit at any time or a true representation of Cyprus

"The Beds are changed every 3 days along with the towels. Hot water good

There are no tea making facilities contrary to statements made by the hotel, the beds are damaged, carpets in the room dirty and the heating / air conditioning did not work.

The food was cheap, and attrocious where we found inedible.

They have removed all the security grills between all the verandas. Beware as the large glass windows in the sliding doors is not safety glass.
Be aware that the staircases are dangerous and the concrete is crumbling on each step.
The fire doors are a joke.

The sea views do not exist and the pool at the side is a breading ground for cats and mosquitoes.

This does not warrant any stars and the reception and management arrogant.

see attached photo's

I could not give this any star rating except dissastar"

• Travel date: Sun 24th of March 2013

Rubbish Arsinoe Hotel

"The only good thing about this hotel is the room service, food is aimed at Russians please tell me who eats peas mashed potatoes, roast potatoes and sweetcorn and peas at breakfast.Russians,and boy are they greedy as well as being ignorant and rude. No entertainment as such only one pool was in use, not enough sun beds there are 179 rooms but only 30 sunbeds nearly all these were broken. We will never return to this hotel. We have stayed in this hotel for the past 4 years and the decline this year was disgusting. Same tablecloths used for all meals

Joy & George Collins"

• Travel date: Sun 2nd of September 2012

Hotels near Arsinoe Beach Hotel

Stayed at Arsinoe Beach Hotel? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Arsinoe Beach Hotel

• "lovely place plenty to do "

• "Rebecca's in limassol and Mianco bar . "

• underthethumb by underthethumb

"Try a different hotel "

• laurenogilvie by laurenogilvie

"Dont go here waste of time and money as it is far too expensive! "

• laurenogilvie by laurenogilvie

"best thing was fasouri waterpark and even that wasnt that great! "

• linton by linton

"Go to larnaca or Ayia napa much better for families "

• joy collins by joy collins

"Needs a complete overall before I will even think of returning to this hotel "

• MooseyMadam by MooseyMadam

"Friendly service & great value for money "

Arsinoe Beach Hotel is also called