Good

We went on the 12th July. The first few ...

Reviewed 30th August 2007

"We went on the 12th July. The first few days were really boring, the entertainment was all in German so we couldnt understand it, and the entertainers didnt make us English welcome. They have now introduced English entertainers these being Nicky, Kerry and Wayne also Celeste and Sergio who where Italian who speak fluent English. All of them made our holiday. They tried their best to entertain us and other guest's, they where fab and done a really good job and the entertainment has picked up considrablely. We would now go back because its got that much better, the food was ok but was repetitive. The pool and beach was very nice, the hotel itself was lovely. Also day time activites have now also improved. Well done guys your doing well. "

• Travel date: 30th August 2007

Dust haven

Reviewed 18th November 2012

"Room dark and uninviting. Dust everywhere ,especially under the bed- an inch thick. The double bed had a single size sheet with blood stains and pubic hairs. The towels were stained. Our first visitor in the room was a giant cockroach. After much complaining we were moved to another room- only a very slight improvement. Still thick with dust and stained towels. Breakfast was the only passable meal. Dinner was a great choice - take it or leave it boiled potato ,salad of cucumber ,tomato in oil, rice and bones with the smallest scraps of meat on them. Dessert was a real gem oranges for five nights out of seven. Our advice don't go there. Better still get the advertisers to spend some time there!!!r"

• Travel date: 13th June 2007

CACTUS HOTEL - Laranaca

Reviewed 26th December 2012

"I booked this hotel before I read the reviews which suggested that this hotel was the "Hotel from Hell" and that nobody in their right mind would stay there !! My stay was from 6th. - 13th. June 2007. I was tempted to cancell and book another hotel but decided that all I wanted was a place to stay and a base to tour from. Hiring a car was essential as taxies were expensive and public transport lacking and it was a good walk to the brighter tourist parts of Larnaca. The hotel being located some ten minutes drive from Larnaca Airport would suggest that aircraft noise might be a problem but proved to be no trouble. The Cactus Hotel can best be described as "cheap and cheerful" but the food was O.K and the staff helpful. Quite a mixture of Russian, German. British, Norwegian and other nationalities were staying when I was there. There was only one power point in the bedroom which meant that you could either watch Greek television (five chanels) or have the fridge on or charge your mobile phone or what have you. You could only use one appliance at any time. Air conditioning worked well. Rooms and bathroom were clean but the shower was very poor All bedrooms are located on three floors which overlook the pool and the noise (including heavy "beat" music from the bar area tends to go on until about 11:30 - 12:00pm and then silence prevails. The stairs leading to the main entrance are somewhat steep and anyone with a walking or mobility problem would find it difficult to manage them. There is a wheelchair ramp but at an angle of approx 45degres any wheelchair userwould need considerable help to either ascend or descend easily or safely. Would I go back ? - probably not."

• Travel date: 13th June 2007

I&M Say 'Cheap & Cheerful'

Reviewed 22nd December 2012

"The Cactus is in quiet residential area between the quaint old Turkish Larnaca & McKenzie beach. You are 10-15 minutes walk away from the busy town centre shopping & seafront but there are some local shops, tavernas & seafood restaurants within 5 minutes stroll. Larnaca's Salt lake is a 5 miute drive away and the airport less than a 10 minute drive away - aircraft noise was remarkably slight. The hotel is basic but we found it clean, airy with friendly staff. The rooms are compact but adequately sized for 2 people. The bathroom was clean small & functional but a little dingey. Breakfast consisted of fruit juice (very weak!) cereal, feta, cold meats, bread/toast & tea/coffee from a buffet. It was an acceptable start to the day. Overall this hotel is not where you'd go for a second honeymoon or with kids, but is good value at less than UK£200 per week for two for a comfortable, quiet, budget break."

• Travel date: 20th March 2007

Cactus Hotel - Larnaca

Reviewed 13th December 2012

"Cactus Hotel was a small hotel tucked right at the back of larnaca, To be honest not what i expected at all. The staff were friendly but it was a long walk to the beach and into larnaca itself wasnt very much around it was more of a residential area had to walk really far for the resturants and bars. Although i didnt mind to much it did get a bit frustrating in the end having to walk everywhere! and taxis wernt that cheap Overall the stay was okay but i wouldnt return to this hotel. When i first walked into my room the smell was awful it smelt of drains! we constantly had to have the balcony doors open otherwise the smell got really bad the room was large enough to survive in for a week. But really not what they company had made the hotel out to be."

• Travel date: 28th January 2007

Terrible!

Reviewed 28th December 2012

"First of all, I have to tell you: Do not even think about booking in this "hotel"! (Weather you're an homles of a buisness man). This is the worst hotel that I ever seen in my whole life! I want to tell you about the room: We were 3 persons in the room and the room is very small for that, the room was like an historic room, the beds were'nt comfortable and it was quite dirty. The shower was like they built it 450 years ago. In the second day, when we came back to the hotel, we saw that our towels haven't been changed, and we "run" to the reception to take new towels and suddenly (Tam Tam Tam Tam), the "woman" that was there (all the week :)) told us that "usually" they are changing the towels every 3 days....they are absoloutly stupids. Now I will tell you about the "breakfast" (if you can call it like that). There was a bread that been there 300 years, and all the other things was there even more time. so, don't even think do book this hotel!!!!"

• Travel date: 11th November 2006

Stay in the Airport,

Reviewed 13th December 2012

"We ended up staying at this Hotel, because of airline delay, and missed connection flight, because somebody cannot count at Heathrow. We arrived at the Hotel late , tell end of evening meal, the hot evening meal was cold, when we got to the room it was very small, we asked for double bed , did not understand so end up with two single beds in the same room, bathroom was dirty, the beds were hard, and the pillows very uncomfortable, to late to find some thing else, and to contact the airline to have us moved, in the morning got up for breakfast to find , the choice of cereal displayed in washing up bowl's, and the fruit juices displayed in the same way, plastic plates, cup and saucers, , and not a very good selection for any breakfast, the hotel smelt of the night before party, and differant cooking smells, which was very unplesant. The staff had know idea how to handle people, nobody cared, even when i asked to order a taxi , to go to the airport, it was can you wait untill i got time to do it attitude, so i would not recommend any body stay here, I would have rather stayed in the Airline Lounge than stay in that hotel, I've worked and lived in the Middle East for many years, and I have stayed in many differant types of hotels but not like this, if this is the only hotel available stay home and keep your money in your pocket."

• Travel date: 9th June 2006

You get what you pay for!

Reviewed 22nd October 2012

"21.05.06 to 28.05.06 - Ignore the negative reviews. The Cactus is more than adequate for the money. I got a last minute holiday to Cyprus and I did not want to pay more than 300 pounds Sterling. For 269 pounds I got a room with a fridge, efficient air conditioning and a small balcony looking down onto a decent sized swimming pool (20m length approx). The beds are comfortable but ignore the cable TV in the rooms. All you get is Greek TV on very old televisions! The staff are courteous if a bit reserved. The hotel has a very rudimentry gym and a sauna which was not operational when I was there. Breakfast was continental and not particularly appetising. It's about 15 minutes walk up the coast road from Larnaca town centre. Yes, I will admit that the place look a bit worn and could do with a revamp, but all in all comfortable and a decent place to rest your head."

• Travel date: 22nd May 2006

The hotel from hell!!

Reviewed 26th December 2012

"I have to agree with the 1st review that has been wrote, what a dreadful experience visting this hotel. We had booked into the cactus for a 7 night stay and only stayed there 1 night and had to find alternative accommodation and if I had'nt have found another hotel I would have rather flown home. Here's a few examples of what we put up with, would you like your food served up in washing up bowls? As for the meat it was just a portion of grizzle & bones. There was no towels when we asked we was given wet ones as they had no dry ones. They could'nt provide plugs for the hand basin & bath, you could'nt even call it a bath, the room was dirty & there was not room to swing a cat in it as the saying goes!! I certainly would not recommend this hotel to anyone not even my worst enemny!!"

• Travel date: 2nd October 2005

Please ignore the previous reviewer !!!!

Reviewed 22nd December 2012

"I had my doubts about staying in this hotel after reading the review posted a few years ago stating that the place was a "nightmare'. I have been fortunate to travel the World and stay in every type of accomodation from very inadequate hostels to five star hotels. I would rate the Cactus Hotel as an average hotel for a very reasonable price. If you want to stay in a hotel which has ensuite facilities, air conditioning, swimming pool and very friendly receptionists then I would recommend this hotel. However if you demand a bit more luxury then please do not consider this Hotel. I always believe that you always get what you pay for, but in this case I got a little bit more than I expected. The Hotel is a ten to fifteen minute walk to the nearest beach so very reasonable."

• Travel date: 18th July 2005

Nightmare!

Reviewed 18th November 2012

"I visited hotel Cactus in Larnaca in 2001 for one night and it was the worst night I EVER spent in my entire life. The room was small and hasn't been renovated for 50 years!!! This "hotel" is located in a very poor area of Larnaca, very far from decent beaches and can be assigned 0 stars at most. The washroom was totally decrepit, with broken tiles, lots of ants, and water wouldn't even draining in the shower. Breakfast was so awful that I don't even want to mention it. The staff consisted of one extremely rude greek pensioner and there was no one from the management to deal with. I was lucky to find another hotel (Karpasiana) in the morning and we spent 2 wonderful weeks in Cyprus. I was also very lucky that my fiancee arrived in Cyprus next day and didn't go through all this humiliation. But please don't trust those who say the hotel Cactus has 2 stars - they are simply big liars and are subject to prosecution. I would definitely recommend a 3 star Karpasiana hotel on Dhekelia Rd as an inexpensive but very well-run hotel right in front of the beach."

• Travel date: 24th March 2005