Good

Good hotel - but beware high prices

Reviewed 24th February 2013

"My husband & I have just returned from a 10 day holiday at the Malpas Hotel booked through Cyprus Premier. It was our 3rd visit to North Cyprus having previously stayed at the Ship Inn and the L.A. Hotel. We seemed to progress upwards as the Ship is a 3 star hotel, the L.A. a 4 star and the Malpas is 5 star. We enjoyed our stays at both the previous hotels and were expecting the Malpas to be quite a lot more upmarket. As it is a fairly new hotel all the furnishing and fittings are still in reasonable condition. That said, a lot of the finishing is below the standard I expected for a 5 star hotel and the bedside cabinet in our room was quite badly marked. However, our room looked exactly like the superior room featured on the hotel’s website. (I don’t think they have standard rooms, I think the superior is standard.) My only criticism of the room was that the bath was very slippery (no non-slip surface or rubber mat) and fairly high to step out of. The wardrobe space/drawers/shelves are generous. The standard of housekeeping is quite high, even the carpet was vacuumed most days. The pool is enormous and whilst we were there, always plenty of sunbeds to choose from. Towels are provided and a member of staff will raise the enormous very expensive looking parasol for you. There is a pool bar and the cheapest meal is a cheese sandwich with chips which costs 8 YTL and a chicken sandwich with chips costs 13 YTL. A beer is 10 YTL and a fresh orange juice 8 YTL. The Malpas states it has a private beach bar with fish restaurant etc. Caution if you have children – there is NO sandy beach. It is a very nice area to sunbathe and relax but it is all decking and you can’t walk into the sea and paddle. You have to descend some steps and jump in. That is all very well if you can swim, but if you’re like me and only like to paddle, you can’t go in the sea. Although we knew the rooftop bar wouldn’t be open until June, we looked for the à la carte restaurant, La Broche but couldn’t find it. Perhaps it was as well as judging by the drinks prices in the Fontana Restaurant it would have been very expensive. We had a free half-board upgrade as did most of the guests and were impressed by the quality of the food for a buffet style dinner. I was however surprised by the cost of the wine. A reviewer called MathsTeacher from Kent had stated that there were two different wine lists and there was wine on one list as cheap as £13 - £17. On our first night we asked for a wine list and were horrified to find the cheapest wine was 50 YTL a bottle. I never saw an alternative list. We opted for 1.5 litre bottle of water instead which cost 5 YTL. Some nights we had a glass of wine each which were 10 YTL per glass. After dinner it would’ve been nice to sit in the Cotton Jazz Club. However not many people ventured in and so there wasn’t much of an atmosphere. We went in one night to take advantage of 25% off the advertised prices. Some basic prices are: coke – 7 YTL, whisky/vodka – 15 YTL and cocktails – 15 YTL. Neither the hotel website nor the travel agent advises that the 3rd floor is unfinished and as we had a room on the 2nd floor we were subjected to building noises until 6.30pm. As we hired a car we were out most of the day, but when you return to your room for a rest it’s not really what you want to hear. To sum up, the hotel is exceptionally clean, the maids, waiters and chefs etc are all very friendly and helpful. The reception staff are curt and I was pleased we didn’t have any problems as I’m not sure how they would’ve been handled. On balance the hotel didn’t really feel like a 5 star hotel – more like a 4+. There is definitely something lacking – atmosphere, polish, soul , a feeling that the customer matters – can’t quite put my finger on it !!"

• Travel date: 31st May 2009

A 5 star hotel with the attitude of a pension

Reviewed 23rd February 2013

"Beware - if you take a drink from outside to your room, be it water or the usual sundowner for the balcony, it will be stolen from your room by the staff and not returned until you leave. We made the mistake of visiting the Malpass luckily only for 2 nights - it must be popular, the 5000 dead flies in my bathroom light must have liked it. There was no porter for the bags and on leaving breakfast with an apple - even this was confiscated by the maitre d. But the good news is they seem to encourage Eastern European prostitutes and even provide condoms in the fridge!! Where are they coming from."

• Travel date: 27th May 2009

Excellent Hotel

Reviewed 8th February 2013

"I stayed in the malpas last August (2008) and it was great. Booked the hotel because my cousin was getting married in north cyprus and its very close to my nan's. Me and my girlfriend stayed for 10 days and did not have one complaint. We had a sea view room. the breakfast buffet was great and they will cook fried egg's or omlettes upon request. the breakfast catered for everyone. The meals in the evening were also very good and not too expensive. The pool area was amazing was empty even though we went in the height of summer, drinks and ice creams etc were expensive but you expect that as its all import. the bar was also nice to have an evening drink and relax. I encountered the staff to be very friendly even though there was language barrier as English is not widely spoken. I would recommend it to anyone!"

• Travel date: 21st January 2009

Excellent Service

Reviewed 11th February 2013

"We have just returned from 10 days at the Malpas Hotel in North Cyprus. Exceptional breakfasts, superb service and an excellent a la carte fish restaurant. The pool area is super and the beach club is very clean, private and just located 1km away from the hotel with great sunloungers. The spa and fitness facilities are fantastic and was an added bonus to us returning for the first time. The accomodation is excellent and with seaview rooms you do have wonderful views and the whole place just has a relaxed but exceptional feeling of ambience that one needs on a holiday. Thank you very much to the Malpas Hotel for a wonderful stay & look forward to seeing you all again."

• Travel date: 14th November 2008

Fabulous Hotel

Reviewed 6th February 2013

"When I read the reviews, I had mixed feeling. However, the promotional price was really good and I have no regrets picking this hotel. The Hotel was fantastic. The location was brilliant overlooking the mountains and Mediterranean sea. The view was amazing.The staff were very friendly and helpful. The hotel was very modern, the rooms were amazing and the hotel ameneties were great too. The buffett breakfast and dinner which had a massive selection of food was great. The seafood restaurant at the beach club was excellent and reasonable. I would recommend The Hotel to anyone heading to North Cyprus, we loved it and would certainly book to go back."

• Travel date: 12th November 2008

Superb Malpas Hotel

Reviewed 10th February 2013

"My husband, myself and two teenage children have just returned from a week's stay at the Malpas. We found it nothing like some of the very poor reviews that are on this site. The hotel was very very clean and the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. We had been given a free half board upgrade and found the food very varied and tasty. There was plenty for me to eat even though I do not eat meat. We had a lovely double room overlooking the pool and the sea. There was no noise from construction work or from people leaving the casino. Our two children had been given a twin room overlooking the front of the building. Twin rooms tend to have an opening door but no actual balcony. My daughter requested a balcony and the front desk very helpfully said that there would be a double room available the next day near us but it would be a double. They offered to put in an extra bed so that our boy and girl could have their own bed. They could not have been more helpful. It was a pity that the hotel was not at all full. Several nights there was a musical duo playing in the restaurant in the evening and a guitar duo in the jazz bar. The jazz bar was very stylish but hardly anyone was in there so no atmosphere. I don't know what it would be like in high season. Outdoor pools were lovely but not heated. Fine to sunbathe around but only go in if you are very hardy. Indoor pool was a very good temperature and we used that. It was never crowded. Some drinks were very expensive. We tended to be out and about during the day (a car is really needed to get the most out of the holiday)so had a lunchtime beer at cafes wherever we were. It was cheaper to drink wine with our meals back at the hotel. There were two different wine lists and we chose the cheapest non-turkish off the single page list. A reasonable chardonnay at £13 a bottle and a nice sauvignon blanc at about £17. One evening they had run out of the cheaper wines so they gave us a better one at the same price! Beer and soft drinks were about £5 and £3.50 respectively. As we had been given a free half-board upgrade we decided that as the food was so good it was still cheaper to eat in and pay extra for some drinks rather than go into Kyrenia as we usually do and get drinks a bit cheaper. It was good that we had brought the scrabble with us because otherwise it would have been very boring for the youngsters in the evening. A problem for most teenagers in TRNC We would definitely return to the Malpas. It is our fourth visit to TRNC and this is by far the best hotel so far. We spoke to some fellow guests who were on their fourth visit to this hotel. We cannot wait to return."

• Travel date: 7th November 2008

Stunning Hotel

Reviewed 2nd February 2013

"We stayed at The Malpas last October and were disappointed, but felt as it was early days for the hotel we would give it another go. It is situated a few minutes drive from town so we hired a car and it was no problem to get around. This time we thought it was excellent. The staff were attentive the facilities were good and the cleanliness was top notch. The rooms are spacious and have everything you need; mini bar, safe, ample wardrobe space, hairdryer and toiletries. The pool is lovely, though very cold ! There is a nice pool bar for drinks and lunch. Breakfast is excellent and has everything you could want. There is a huge dining area for sitting inside or out with views of the sea and mountains. We hope to stay there again soon, particularly as it never has the feeling of being too crowded which is a bonus. You feel like you are an individual guest and welcomed rather than being part of a herd."

• Travel date: 6th November 2008

Lovely place but Malpas let it down

Reviewed 9th February 2013

"My wife and I stayed at the Malpas Hotel mid sept 2008. The hotel is lovely and well located. We did encounter a few problems. Firstly, there was no water in the minibar so we bought water in a nearby shop for around £0.30 and stored it in the fridge. Later on during the holiday I discovered that we'd been charged £5 for 2 bottles of water. This took 3 days to sort out and only got resolved when I demanded to see the manager. Secondly, I asked reception for an ethernet cable as the wireless didn't work. I plugged it in and there seemed to be no connection. I later found out that half to rooms have the internet ports but aren't setup for internet even though they gave me the cable?!. We found that the roof bar was shut even though the booklet stated it was open, there we no prices for the spa and the food got very repetitive. We both got food posioning twice during our 10 day stay! The hotel was still undergoing major building works which didn't really bother us. The manager seemed to want to make an effort with the guests which can be a nice thing and we felt because of our ages he didn't bother with us (I'm 26 and my wife is 32). Even though the above occured I have to say that the barman in the cocktail bar was very nice and took pride in his work. In general I think that the hotel is more like a 3 star rather than a 5 and wouldn't really recommend it to a friend. Northern Cyprus is a beautiful place and there are many hotels to pick. It's a place we plan to go back to but we would definately be staying elsewhere"

• Travel date: 14th October 2008

Be Aware

Reviewed 3rd February 2013

"Our stay was from 20th Sept-3th Oct. Well presented hotel and good location. Man at reception was a bit grumpy? A wedding was held at the pool area on 20th about 300 present, refined and noise within limits, finished about midnight. On the 21st another wedding at the same location about 400 present . A sound system that was far to big for a rock concert blasted until after midnight. You could feel the bass as shock waves. Then peace and quiet until about 28th. An influx of mainland gamblers. The hotel was full of "High Rollers" complete with attitude. Children running riot until 4am shouting and screaming in the reception area, roller skates and the like. NO One would try to bring stability to the situation, parents are in the Casino loosing money, let the kids run unchecked, staff were scared to say anything because the end result would be parents leaving the casino. When the gambling was finished say from 0300-0500 you had the full force of shouting,door banging,and television blaring. When you left your room " after a bad night" ,you were greeted with DO NOT Disturb signs on the doors of the people that had given you a bad night? We gave the reception a choice, move us to the Diamond suites or arrange another hotel, they gave us the suites.Peace and uninterupted sleep what bliss. Very clean, good selection of food and overall pleasent base to explore the island, watch out for the food handling by your fellow guests at the self selection. Can only be a matter on time before some outbreak happens."

• Travel date: 7th October 2008

Rip off drink prices

Reviewed 28th October 2012

"We arrived at the Malpas late on 16th Aug and were promptly dealt with at reception where a porter collected our bags took us to our room and explained how the air conditioning worked. The next morning we were up early and went to explore the hotel. First impressions were good. The whole place is very clean and an army of staff seem intent on keeping it that way. It’s positioned on a gentle slope in acres of grounds which are attended to every day. There are 2 massive interlocking circular pools with a bridge across where they join and throughout our stay they were never crowded, in fact due to their size, I don’t see how they ever could be. In the hotel basement there is a barber (who I never saw with a client), an indoor pool, a very well equipped gymnasium, steam rooms, sauna, massage parlour and business centre with internet connected PC. It’s obvious a small fortune has been spent on this place. The rooms are immaculate and the best presented upon arrival that I have come across. Bathrooms are a good size with a good range of toiletries provided and maintained daily together with bath robes if you like that sort of thing. We went for breakfast on our first day and were surprised by the range of food available. Cereals, a variety of fruit, cheeses, ham, chicken, 3min and 5 min boiled eggs, yogurts, olives, salads, various marmalades and jams, at least 10 warm dishes, soup, grilled hellim, bacon, fried or scrambled eggs, omelettes and the biggest range of fresh bread I have ever seen in a hotel. All good on the face of it, however all is not as it seems so here is a list of my gripes: 1. I had brought my laptop with me to take advantage of the advertised “in room Wi Fi” which of course was non-existent, so I wandered down to the reception area to use the hotspot connection but could only get a connection established for approx 60 sec before losing it. I had noticed a network outlet in the room so popped down to the local geek shop and asked them to make me a cable as I had not brought one with me, which they duly did for a snip at £1.50, and hey presto I was on line, and its free. My gripe is they shouldn’t advertise services which don’t exist. 2. What they don’t say in all their blurb is that the 3rd floor of the hotel is not open as all the rooms are still in the process of being completed, and that builders are at work 7 days a week from 8:00am till 6:30pm doing the work. We were on the 2nd floor and for the first 7days of our stay had to suffer over 10 hours a day of banging, drilling, cutting and hammering directly above our heads. Thankfully we had hired a car and were out most of the time but by Sunday 24th we had suffered enough and went down to reception to demand that either the work was stopped or they found us a room where they could guarantee some peace and quiet. The staff seemed aghast at the prospect of stopping the work so I requested that the manager come and see me as soon as he came on duty in an hour’s time (which I did not expect to happen). I retired to our room and sat on the pan to contemplate. Suddenly I was aware of a dripping noise outside the door which on inspection was coming from the ceiling where the a/c unit is housed. At that point the maid arrived to make up the room and I pointed out the water dripping. To be fair, within 10 mins a hotel engineer was present and after removing the grille and about a gallon of water from above the ceiling he announced “major technical problem”, and promptly phoned reception to report what he had found. Within 10 mins they rang back with an offer of a different room, this time in the Diamond Bungalows complex, which we were assured would be very quiet. Bliss. 3. Due to all the work on the top floor the Rooftop Bar and Restaurant is not open. La Broche, the a la carte international restaurant is currently an empty shell by the pool used to store tables for the many weddings that take place. 4. Beware when you go for breakfast. The 3 min eggs are dodgy. Some days they are OK but on others they look like 1 min eggs. Stick with the 5 min ones. If you fancy an omelette stand over the cook and don’t let him put it on your plate until you are satisfied that it’s properly cooked. The first one I had looked OK but on cutting into it the middle was an uncooked mush and I observed several other guests having the same problem. Also, the waiters have an awful habit of removing anything from your table if you are not present. One morning, after finishing my cereal I got up to get some eggs, only to find that on my return my full cup of coffee, bread and butter had disappeared. 5. Lastly but most irritatingly, the drinks prices in this place are extortionate. A whisky (or any other spirit) starts at £7.50 for a blended Johnny Walker or equivalent and goes to a whopping £60 a glass for their 23 year old single malt!! A small 33cl local beer was £4. I could buy 6 50cl cans of the stuff at the local supermarket for £6. Bought in the hotel it would cost £36. Now I expect a reasonable mark up but that is ridiculous. If you are confined to the hotel I hope you have a deep pocket, you’ll need it. I observed countless people at the pool bar who appeared staggered at the prices. Then to crown it all on the Thursday before we left new menus were on show and the beer prices had been increased to £5 for a 33cl glass. The Malpas has the makings of a very good hotel, but until they get everything right, including the drinks prices my advice is stay well clear, unless of course you don’t mind feeling ripped off every time you go to the bar. It purports to be a 5 star establishment but I wouldn’t give it more than 3, and in terms of value for money 1."

• Travel date: 14th September 2008

Had a wonderful time!

Reviewed 28th November 2012

"Arrived to a helpful front of house who transported us promptly with our luggage to our bungalow. The room was beautiful, house keeping though having no english, was exceptionally catering and using the international language of hand signals we mustered our way through. The bungalow was clean, beautiful and the bathroom the same too. The staff were extremely friendly and could not be more accommodating. Though english is sometimes not as fluent as some may prefer, the staff endeavour to do all they can to ensure you have all you need. The food was fantastic with an extensive array of choice and even breakfast was a winner, with baked beans on the menu!! All in all a beautfiul hotel in a fantastic location with lots to offer and friendly people!! Not exactly a match for UK 5 star hotel but a definite 4!! Will be returning."

• Travel date: 4th September 2008

Hotel Malpas - Very Disappointing

Reviewed 4th November 2012

"Apologies for this very long review but I have just returned from a week with friends at the Malpas Hotel and felt compelled to ensure other possible guests had a very honest view. I will start with the few positives. The hotel is very clean, our room (Diamond Villa-not in the hotel) was new, clean, spacious with 2 double beds and a balcony with a good ensuite. The pool is large, clean, warm with comfortable sun beds and towels. The breakfast provided a good choice as did the buffet dinner although after a few days you would become very bored of this. The waiters were very helpful and friendly. And now for the many negatives...On arrival we were greeted by a very unfriendly reception, one man in particular was repeatedly very rude throughout the week. We had requested and paid for a room inside the hotel but were allocated a villa away from the hotel and right in front of where the wedding receptions took place, of which there were 4! even though we were promised there would be only 2. The weddings completely take over the hotel and the hotel clearly caters for the weddings. The Jazz club inside the hotel could be excellent, if only it played Jazz!!. We had 1 night and the band were excellent but other nights either weddings took over the place or they had no music and the non English speaking bar staff played turkish football on the screens. The rooftop bar was closed due to a leaky roof, the bar by the pool was permanantly closed due to the weddings, you could not sit by the pool on 4 of the nights and enjoy a drink due to the 300 - 500 weddings guests. We complained to the manager who offered us to be guests of the hotel for dinner on our last night - Before we went in for dinner we checked with the restaurant manager who assured us all was taken care off - not so!! At the end of the meal we were asked to sign our bill and when we tried to explain that we were guests of the manager we were marched off to reception to be shouted at by the very rude man who said he knew nothing about it and we must sign. We did not but at checkout cost of the dinner was charged to my room. We spoke to the manager who eventually removed the charge. Just before departure and after we had paid my friends were asked to go to reception and were told that they had to pay 299 euro for the mini bar - They had not used the mini bar but the hotel insisted that it was checked every night. Not surprisingly they had no answer as to why if it was checked every night there were no charges every day on the room for the mini bar unlike other bar drinks that were purchased, meaning that they must have drank the whole contents of the mini bar on the last night !! Out taxi arrived and they walked out without paying for the mini bar. The cost of drinks were very expensive, £5 for a small beer by the pool, £8 for a JD & coke. Do not pay it, walk down (10 mins) to the Bo Thai restaurant where you will be welcomed by the owner Des where you can just enjoy drinks at the bar (no need to eat if you dont want to) at a very good price. Finally, as many people have indicated, if you are not a smoker then you will not like the food area where you are allowed to smoke, (some people were at the buffet with a cigarette in hand) and you sometimes need a knife to cut through the smoke. Think very carefully about what you want from your holiday before booking here."

• Travel date: 3rd September 2008