Olympic Lagoon Resort

Good
Good

Don't Believe the Hype, it's Shocking.

Reviewed Thu 12th of May 2016

"Upon arrival at the front of hotel it looked impressive and our initial welcome was warm and pleasant this was the high point. We were greeted by front of house staff who first made a snarky comment about how late we had arrived (not our fault) and then I was made to complete a per-registration form again (I had already filled this in online) – Once this was complete we were told they did not have the room we had initially booked but instead they would give us a family room and we would have more space so really it was an upgrade. I didn't have the energy to argue with them at this point so we accepted and moved through to our room.

The room itself was nice, though their claim of extra space was taken up by a set of bunk beds and a sofa bed – We had no need for these and on the basis of these actually technically had less room in terms of usable space around our bed than we would have had in our original room type – I'm especially annoyed we did not get the room type we booked given our booking was 9 months in advance – I find it incredibly unlikely every other room was booked in advance of this.

When we looked around our room we noticed the balcony door was open, I called down to reception and they promptly sent someone up to look at it. The man who came to inspect the door informed us that it was broken and could not be locked. I told them this was unacceptable and we wanted to be moved to another room but were told this would not be possible and we would have to stay in the insecure room for the night before the maintenance team fixed the door the next day. Sadly, the maintenance team did not fix the door the next day and the following day from that (arrived Sunday, now still unfixed on Tuesday) I spoke to reception who informed me when maintenance arrived to fix it the Do Not Disturb sign was on the door – I inquired as to why they did not leave a note (as the maids in the hotel do) or attempt to come back at a later time but the desk staff could provide no answer for this.

Our room had an in land view, which was fine with us and what we had booked. What we found though is we had been placed over the loading bay and were constantly woken up in the morning when reversing trucks arrived to make deliveries.

I wish I could say these were the last of our problems we encountered but sadly not, we attempted to make reservations for restaurants on the complex which required them using the information kiosk in the hotel only for the system to state we had already attended them and would not be able to go again. After another visit to reception this was rectified and we managed to get our reservations – Sadly though I wish we hadn’t bothered, the selection in the restaurants was poor, most of the food was either tepid or soggy and distinctly lacking in flavor.

The hotel has signs in all of the eatery areas informing you their staff are all trained to be able to identify food for your dietary requirements – This turned out not to be the case, most staff seemed completely oblivious to the ingredients and at best guessed. As someone with a very serious nut allergy it was very difficult to feel confident eating the all-inclusive food.

The worst experience with food came when we attended what they built up to be an exclusive Italian restaurant for adults only. We arrived 5 minutes early for our reservation and entered through the main door. A very stern woman, Elena, rather than politely telling us they were not yet open sneered at us and very rudely told us to get out.

When she emerged 10 minutes later (late for our reservation) to take up position at a podium outside the room she ignored us completely – despite knowing we were there to eat. When we were eventually shown to our table, after another couple who arrived later than us, she stomped away miserably. We were given menus and asked what we wanted to eat. As I always do I asked the question which dishes were suitable for nut allergy sufferers she suggested I have the mushroom soup to start – I looked at the menu and it clearly stated this contained almonds!! I told her I would skip the starter. Whilst ordering main I made the same enquiry and asked if she could check with the chef which of the 12 or so dishes I could eat. She informed me I should just order what I want and she would sort it with the chefs. I ordered the ravioli dish. 20 minutes later she returned to our table to tell me I couldn't have the ravioli as it contained nuts and I would have to order something else and thrust a menu at me. I asked again what can I actually eat and she said you can have lamb or salmon, none of the other dishes – Quite why she could not have told me this originally I've no idea. I ordered the lamb but when it arrived it was cold and full of fat. My wife did get the ravioli but sadly the pasta was incredibly thick and almost inedible.

The bars and other areas of the hotel in general were nice and welcoming but seemed designed to stop you taking advantage of the drink you had paid for in advance in the all-inclusive package. You would be served, in general, in fairly short time upon arrival to a bar but past this point it seemed very difficult to get them to come back to your table to get you more drinks – We also found this to be true in the main restaurant where they would not make any drinks available other than by waiter service but getting a waiter to your table to take the order was nigh on impossible.

Another of the major issues we found with the hotel was the behavior of other guests, the hotel hands out a booklet containing rules but don’t seem to enforce these, we quite often saw people being allowed to ignore the dress code in the eating areas (topless, in swimwear, still damp etc.). Children seem to roam around the hotel in unsupervised packs making noise and disturbing other guests whilst their parents ignore them.

The hotel seemed to hold 2-3 weddings a day which led to large groups of drunk guests over the main communal areas of the hotel, quite often loud and obnoxious in their celebrations – The weather made this worse as they were forced into the main areas rather than the designated outside weddings areas – Whilst I can’t fault the hotel for the weather they did nothing to try and keep order.

By the Thursday it was clear to us the only way we would get any enjoyment from the holiday was to spend as little time in the hotel as possible (sad, because the whole idea of booking the luxury resort was to be able to relax, eat and have no worries in a single place) – This meant we ended up spending a considerable amount of money eating in local restaurants to get some decent food from people who were confident about the ingredients it contained– I'm annoyed the hotel food options were so poor we were forced to do this.

I could go on with other examples of how poor our hotel experience was but I think these should give you an indication of the awful stay we had – We booked this hotel as it was advertised as a luxury 5 star hotel – In all honesty I’d be being generous if I gave it 3 stars – We did not receive anything like the service we were promised when we booked. I can honestly say this is the first time by the midpoint of a holiday I was seriously considering booking flights home and leaving early.

• Travel date: Mon 9th of May 2016

Fantastic Hotel

Reviewed Fri 23rd of September 2011

"Just returned & cant wait to get back next year.
The staff are very helpfull,polite and go out of thier way to make the stay just that little bit more special.
We found the room to be clean with all the correct facilities.
Food is superb,hence I put on around half a stone in ten days, too much to choose from !!
Not a bad word to say about the Hotel, trust me you will not regret staying at this hotel its ticks all the corect boxes...just superb in every detail."

• Travel date: Thu 22nd of September 2011

Our perfectwedding/week

Reviewed Thu 18th of August 2011

"me my husband and a group of 33 family & friends stayed the week in June 2011 for our wedding and what an amazing place, the surrounding, people, food entertainment and staff where all outstanding. nothing was to much trouble for any staff to please us all. including the wedding team, that took all our worry's/troubles away and sorted out the whole day. and it was nothing but perfect, extra special. and extra special we all felt thru out the week. i/we felt like royalty. the food changed each day making no meal the same for our stay and it was a great choice for both adults & kids. the entertainment was just the same no 2 acts where seen on the weeks holiday it was a great variety. the kids where always entertained either outside or in the kids club where they where supervised by staff they had every console you could imagine (which if i have to say a down side! it would be that adults were not aloud 16 & under only lol) . if your looking @ reviews for this hotel.....book it, its worth every pennie. if your getting married my advice for wedding couple would be to upgrade to the fisherman's village its again that little extra special for that special couple, (and you make your guests a little jealous lol)i really could go on and on but there just so much to say about it. you wont be disappointed Ps don't forget the Lazy river and the many Pools to keep you once again entertained xx caz & Tom "

• Travel date: Sun 14th of August 2011

One of the best

Reviewed Fri 29th of July 2011

"Just returned from one of the best hotels we have stayed at > First time in Cyprus and will definetley be going back. Food was excellent with wide variety of choices and all ages catered for. Pool areas were very very clean and loved the idea of having adults only pool. Even though we didnt take any children they were very well catered for with the entertainment . The hotel had been refurbished for 2011 and it showed, rooms were clean and so were communial areas. Staff were very freiendly and very keen to help. "

• Travel date: Tue 26th of July 2011

Great Family Holiday

Reviewed Tue 15th of March 2011

"We had a fab holiday here in 2008 with out 6 and 7 year old. Food was lovely, even the evening buffet with the all inclusive option we upgraded to was very good, each night a different menu. Kids club and evening entertainment was very good, our kids cried when we left and so did the kids club staff! Pools were nice, always sunbeds available, rooms clean etc. Our son had to go to hospital when we were there and they could not do enough for us. Def going to return. You don't even need a hire car as the water park is walking distance and the beach is across the road!"

• Travel date: Sun 13th of March 2011

Are some people mad!!

Reviewed Sat 10th of November 2012

"Me and my gf have just returned from this hotel and i cant believe how negative some of the comments are.we went all inclusive and i cant find one negitive thing to say.the food was something diferernt every nite,the pool area was amazing and looked just like the pictures,our room was a junior sweet room and was really nice..the hotel is based in a really good area as ur out the way of the busy nite life but not to far away if u fancied a walk in2 it(bout 30 mins)..the beach is just over the road from the hotel,there is a great supermarket outside the hotel that sells pretty much everything,overall i would reccommend the olympic lagoon to any1 and every1,we'l definatley go back."

• Travel date: Mon 12th of July 2010

VERY POOR

Reviewed Mon 8th of June 2009

"I Have just returned frim a group holiday at this resort and am totaly amazed that people can rate this over 1 out of ten.
I paid an extra £600 to upgrade my room before I arrived and found travel lodges to be nicer rooms.The room was dirty and needed upgrading. I complained and nothing was done.

The food is terrible and just reheated the next day.You dont want to come on holiday and have sheppards pie , 2 days running.

The all inclusive is not all-inclusive, they give you 9 drinks to choose and just the random buffett.

STAY AWAY"

• Travel date: Mon 8th of June 2009

great family hotel

Reviewed Mon 8th of June 2009

"Presence in the hotel from May 22 until May 29, 2009 was a great resort for families and Banspp Mozawvon very nice.For breakfast to find all types of food that suits children and young people and adults and provide hot and cold beverages.
The hotel was very interested in children, providing them with games near the pool and swim club includes activities such as drawing, coloring, games hall and in the night, children can go to this place do not fear them.
At night the hotel is a calm Maidjalni during my visit with my family next to my hotel and the only disadvantage that he is far from the sea and the beach of 300 meters, landa Golden"

• Travel date: Sat 6th of June 2009

Great for all!!!!

Reviewed Wed 27th of May 2009

"Myself,Husband and step-daughter have just returned from our holiday at the Olympic Lagoon,Ayia Napa,Cyprus.Unfortuanately we could only stay for one week this time but will certainly be visiting the resort again.We were there for bed and breakfast and could not believe the huge selection on the self service foods and drinks to choose from.We think this resort caters for all as we are in our thirtys and still like the clubbing life,the clubs are about 10 minutes drive down the main strip so it is quite for those that dont want that type of thing.Its great for kids as it has a fantastic pool,play area,games room etc.Fab pool bar for those that just want to chill.We cant rate it high enough.For those that just want a quiet life,well,the resort is large enough to get away from the kids.Also we saw many couples getting married there and i can assure you that they cannot do enough for you so do not hesitate.The only downside that to get to the harbour,the square or any nightlife you really need to get a taxi which is around 8euro each way,cant comment on bus service as we didnot use it.If you want entertainment then take a visit to The Orange Grove,about 5mins drive towards the square,great entertainment,very friendly,great food and not over priced.Waterworld is 10 mins walk away from hotel,as is Nissi beach.Overall FANTASTIC!!!"

• Travel date: Tue 26th of May 2009

Holiday

Reviewed Wed 1st of April 2009

"Me and my husband stayed here in June 2008 for our honeymoon and it was one of the best holidays we have ever had. The hotel was fantastic,rooms spotless and clean towels everyday. On arrival at the hotel we were greeted and taken by a buggy to our room.Waiting in our room was an ice bucket with a bottle of champagne in it, balloons and banners and a welcome card congratulating us on our wedding. We both thought this was a lovely touch from the staff with it being our honeymoon.We had a problem with our safe when we first arrived but phoned reception and a member of staff was there within seconds to resolve it.
Ayia Napa is a taxi ride away and would definitely recommend haggling with the taxi drivers on the price before you get it,although we did tend to get the bus in a few nights. We had a few meals down by the harbour in Ayia Napa which we thoroughly enjoyed. Overall we had an excellent time staying at Olympic Lagoon and without a doubt would definitely return."

• Travel date: Wed 1st of April 2009

Bit wary before going after reading mixe...

Reviewed Tue 30th of September 2008

"Bit wary before going after reading mixed reviews & couldnt understand why some thought hotel great & others found it terrible - to be honest thought that some people must just be very picky & finding fault for the sake of it, but after visiting I have to say that i agree with a lot of the negative points raised in previous reviews.

Hotel itself is ok but definately not worth its 4*plus rating even by Cypriot/Greek standards. Our initial bedroom was a family bedroom but you would struggle to swing a cat. Also room was not overly clean - looked fine on the surface of things but after my daughter dropped a toy on the floor and i lifted bedcover to retrieve it from under bed I found 3 cigarette ends just under bed. Decor could do with refreshing. We paid to upgrade rooms to junior suite - would definately recommend this if you are travelling with children as although the rooms were not massive they at least gave you a bit of space. Rooms cleaned daily and towels changed every second day - generally clean.

We were very disappointed in the pool area as we had booked this hotel after seeing the pictures in First Choice brouchure advertising the lovely sandy area at the lagoon pool. This appealled to us as our young daughter could play on the sandy area without us worrying that she would slip on the tiles around the pool. In reality however the pool area does not look like this picture as it must have been taken several years ago following the refurbishment. the beds are now on the concrete area and the grass has been allowed to grow over much of the sandy area resulting in the kids play area being reduced to a smaller sandy patch which is full of weeds/grass, cigarette ends, plastic bottle tops, etc. Trees have also been planted in the grassy area which means that sunbathing there is a nightmare as you constantly have to move to avoid shadows. these trees also make it very difficult to watch your children play at the play park without actually being by their side.

There are plenty of loungers around the pool area but they are all placed very closely together - luckily the hotel was not too busy so you could usually leave a bed empty between you and the next family but think it would be quite claustraphobic in the summer when busy.

Food for breakfast was ok - plenty to choose from whether you wanted cereal, cooked breakfast, breads, cakes, etc. We only ate in hotel on 1st night - food ok but nothing special and would have been very bored with it had we been half or full board.

Didnt use kids club but did find it annoying that the mini disco which my daughter had been looking forward to, was not always on at night despite being advertised. It all depended on what entertainers were on "duty" at the kids disco. Some nights the kids were just sta in front of tv watching dvd as it was claimed there were not enough kids for disco - it went ahead other nights with less kids ! Also it was very disorganised when it did go ahead. Lots of stopping & starting between dances/games & kids lost interest a bit.

Plenty of restuarants in local area so long as you dont mind a short walk. If you like to walk ouyt of your hotel and fall straight into bars & restuarants then not the place for you but if you dont mind short walk then ideal. If you leave hotel via back gate and turn right there are a couple of restuarants & tavernas - best one garden of eden. The bulk of the bars/restuarants are to the left. a 15-20 minute walk takes you into the heart of nissi bay with plenty bars & restuarants with lots of choice. There are several hotels, bars & restuarants along this walk. The great thing about these restuarants and bars are that they are very child-friendly. Most have children's play areas including bouncy castles, little tikes chutes, climbing frames, swings, see-saws, cars, bikes,etc - fab !!!

Ayia Napa is only about 20 min walk from these restuarants along a road which is lined with various bars, restuarants & shops. There is a great kids amusement park at the bottom end of Ayai Napa as you walk in - not huge but brilliant for kids and not expensive.

Some people have complained about the price of drink in the hotel - yes it is slightly more expensive than in bars/restuarants but not that much more expensive.

In summary, we found the resort great so long as you are not looking for english pubs & nightclubs. Perfect for families or those looking for a nice meal and drink. Plenty bars/restuarants to choose from. We really enjoyed Mangas, Garden of eden, Atlas(italian). The hotel itself was ok but wouldnt say that it was 4* plus standard, more 3* plus. The staff were friendly and helpful, the accommodation was relatively clean but could have been cleaner, the food was fine & plenty variety for beakfast. The grounds within the hotel could be better kept & the pool was not always too clean. I would return to this hotel again but not at the price that we paid for this holiday as feel that it was very overpriced for what we actually got."

• Travel date: Tue 30th of September 2008

I have just returned from a 2 week holid...

Reviewed Tue 30th of September 2008

"I have just returned from a 2 week holiday to the Olympic Lagoon and also got married there. I was quite suprised to read some of the poor reviews on here, as myself and 20 other guests had a fab time!
The hotel staff could not do enough for us and any problems were sorted out straight away. When we arrived we were meant to have 2 single rooms for 2 of our guests but the hotel had overbooked. Instead they put the guests in the best room in the hotel and upgraded the rest of us to junior suites and bungalows!!
Now location - yes it is 8 - 10 euros to Ayia Napa in taxi (1.50 on bus!) but it does state this in the holiday brochures and there are plenty of resturants around the hotel if you do not want to pay this every night. The pool is lovely, only complaint was the snacks at the pool bar werent the best and yes pricey, but we all expected this.
My wedding day was perfect. Helene who works at the hotel and Sarah from Olympic Holidays took care of everything. We had the perfect location in the hotel and lovely food and reception afterwards and it cost a third of what it would have in the UK! Please if you are thinking of getting married here do it!!
Overall we all had a great time, Cyprus is pricey but was well worth it!!"

• Travel date: Tue 30th of September 2008

Hotels near Olympic Lagoon Resort

Top traveller tips for Olympic Lagoon Resort

• "Plenty of bars and restaurants and lots to do. "

• "Restaurants down by harbour in Ayia Napa. "

• jogreen by jogreen

"My third visit and cannot rate it enough.Something for everyone "

• jogreen by jogreen

"The Orange Grove bar and boat trip on the Aphroditie boat to Famagusta "

• Wendy from Watford by Wendy from Watford

"Def planning to go back!!! "

• Peter Reeves by Peter Reeves

"Loose weight first, you will put it on at this hotel "

• Katestreet by Katestreet

"Avoid this place at all costs....... "

Olympic Lagoon Resort is also called