LOBBY

Great hotel, great location

Reviewed 31st October 2012

"Stayed at the Park for three nights in Split and loved it. The staff was friendly and very, very helpful and the location is great - right near the beach and the restaurants and bars at Bavice. The rooms are a bit small, but no more so than usually seen in Europe. Overall, we were very happy with the Park."

• Travel date: 16th August 2006

Cramped and overpriced - not a luxury hotel!

Reviewed 16th October 2012

"This is not a four star hotel. It is barely a three star, and it only qualifies for that as it has fitness facilities. I would rank this as a two, perhaps a two and a half star hotel. There are parts of Split that are lovely, but this hotel puts you in such a bad frame of mind that it can be easy to overlook. The main problem is that the rooms are tiny, and the bathrooms the smallest I have ever seen in my life (estimated 1.4m x 1.4m, and into that they somehow manage to squeeze a shower cubicle, toilet and basin). The second problem is that it is vastly overpriced. I don't mind paying for a good hotel (and in fact I'd paid twice as much for another hotel in Dubrovnik the week earlier and was extremely happy with my stay), but this is just not value for money. We were charged £120 per night for our microroom, and I think most people would balk at paying even £60-70 for a room of this size in any comparable European city. But there were many other problems, if the above two were not enough. The air conditioning was inadequate. Upon investigation, we could see that the filters were blocked which was inhibiting the air intake (and thus the flow of cold air into the room), but when we informed the manager, he told us that they couldn't possibly get anyone in to clean it (we could have cleaned it ourselves, given a ladder). He also suggested that we were too stupid to tell the difference between when the air conditioning was on or off (it's quite easy to tell, as it is extremely noisy). It also claims to be a 5 minute walk from town. Paula Radcliffe might be able to sprint it in 5 minutes, but for the majority of folk, it is more like 15 or 20 minutes' walk. And you have to go through the ferry port/bus terminal, which is a fairly seedy and unpleasant walk. The hotel itself is very close to Bacevic beach, which appears to be extremely popular with teenagers and party goers, who carry on well into the wee hours (otherwise the lack of air conditioning wouldn't have been so unpleasant, as I could have simply opened a window). The beach is small and dirty, and appears to double as an ashtray and litter bin, so it's not a plus having the beach so close by. It is perhaps unfair to say that the staff are unpleasant, as has been suggested by a major guidebook and one or two other reviews I've read. Most of the staff were really quite nice, but the man most frequently on reception is fairly cold and unhelpful, so I can see how people could get this impression. The reason I have rated it two stars and not one is: 1. the rooms, although small, are clean and reasonably tastefully decorated 1a. the beds were comfortable 2. the majority of staff are pleasant and friendly 3. breakfast, while not outstanding, is edible 4. some rooms have a sea view (although no balcony, so you have to stand at the window if you want to appreciate it) 5. there is a very pretty breakfast terrace, so you can sit in the sun while you have your breakfast 6. there is a gym (I didn't check it out, so I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt with this one) 7. parking at the hotel is free But still, unless you are desparate for accommodation, this is one to avoid. My advice to the hotel owners: remove the wall between alternating adjoining bedrooms, so you can create a decent sized double bedroom with a reasonably sized shower (or even bath!) room. If you are not prepared to do that, then go for the budget rather than luxury market (starting with reducing your prices by half)."

• Travel date: 17th June 2006

Excellent hotel

Reviewed 26th November 2012

"We stayed for two nights in the Park Hotel in Split when we visited Split to see the ruins of Diocletian's palace. The hotel was first-class; quiet, comfortable, and clean, in a quiet neighborhood away from the tourist bustle. We had a room facing the park and the Adriatic sea, which was a lovely view. The breakfast, which was included in the room price, was a very nice buffet which we enjoyed at a table outside on the terrace. We also ate dinner in the hotel one night and the food was very good. All in all, if you go to Split, the Park is a great place to stay."

• Travel date: 2nd June 2006

You can almost see them signing the peace treaty

Reviewed 19th October 2012

"Yes it is an old hotel and it was old when Tito signed the peace treaty in WWII. But it overlooks the ocean if not from the rooms then from the terrace. It is a romantic 3-4 star hotel. You go there for the ambience, the town and the food. I loved my stay there and I travel 200,000 miles a year. Do not expect 5 star, the walk to town is 5 minutes and spend all of your time going to the museums, going up the coast to other towns, walking through the city, going to church in the oldest cathholic church in the world. It is like they say an old Yve Montand type of feel from the 1930s."

• Travel date: 18th April 2006

Split is unbelievably beautifull

Reviewed 5th November 2012

"I don't know what " shortcut" did the traveler from Toronto took to get to the center of the city from hotel Park but as much as I recall it is a beatifull five minute walk along the shore to get there. Rather complicated Hike!!?? Are you sure you stayed at hotel Park? I have been around quite a lot and belive me it is hard to resist the charm and beauty of this old city and its people. Personally i got tired of those sterile five star hotels with all the "luxuries".. and as the old saying goes.. you like certain people not because of their virtues but of their flaws the same goes for this charming hotel. Wonderfull experience I warmly recommend it! Beautifull people, amazing city, incredible country.."

• Travel date: 18th September 2005

hints of old-fashioned elegance

Reviewed 2nd November 2012

"Hotel Park is the sort of old-fashioned pseudo-elegant hotel that one can still occasionally find near Nice or Palermo: dark, rather small rooms, with a rather grandiose anteroom entry area (with coat hooks). The public areas are very large and elegant -- with a large sitting-out area in front (with palms) for eating the (very ample) breakfast from the buffet. The front desk staff, likewise, are very formal and polite. The Split public beach is nearby -- with night noise -- but the large green room shutters can be closed and the air conditioning turned on to block the noise. Getting into the centre of Split is a rather complicated twenty-minute walk. There are, however, two very good seafood restaurants near the hotel; so it isn't necessary to hike into the centre at night. And the hotel itself serves dinner."

• Travel date: 30th June 2005

Get a back facing room!

Reviewed 2nd November 2012

"The room I was initially allocated in the Park Hotel was at the front, over looking the terrace and with a partial sea view. This hotel was supposed to be a 4 star but really, apart from the restaurant, it was more like a 3. The room was so small there was no space in between the bed and the desk to put a chair! The bathroom was tiny and claustraphobic. But, worse of all, after arriving late at night very tired I ended up having a sleepless night due to all the noise outside. On a Friday and Saturday evening there is a disco very close to the Park Hotel and the music goes on till 4am! Great, if you want to party, but not so great if, like at the time I visited, there was no air conditioning so the only ventilation was from the windows! In mid-May with temperatures outside mid 20's c I would have expected air-con! I was advised by the management of the hotel that the aircon would be switched on "after the weekend" but it was not. I moved rooms, on the advice of a fellow hotel guest, to a room at the back of the hotel and was at least then able to open the windows for some air. The room had the advantage of being a little bigger so I could at least sit at the desk to work! Best things about the hotel - good location near the town but not on top of it - and the restaurant. I had a lovely evening meal and can highly recommend the steak!"

• Travel date: 19th May 2005

Nice hotel in a park setting

Reviewed 5th November 2012

"THe Hotel Park in Split is located adjacent to a beachfront park, in a neighborhood setting. We enjoyed good service and a nice, clean room with a view of the water. The restaurant piano player was also very nice and an excellent musician. The only negative that I could offer is that it is a slightly long, unattractive walk to the main tourist attractions near the Palace. But, overall, it is a great place to stay."

• Travel date: 25th April 2005

Lovely hotel in the most beautiful city in the world

Reviewed 20th December 2012

"Very nice hotel, the best in Split, situated next to the beach and 15 minutes from the center of the city, and 1700 years old Diocletian's palace.5 min walking distance from ferry and bus terminals. Extremly nice staff, very friendly and helpfull. Had great time and going back one day for sure."

• Travel date: 31st March 2005

OK, But Not Great

Reviewed 26th November 2012

"This may actually be the best hotel in Split. Unfortunately, it's not that great. Croatia still has a long way to go in terms of good quality accommodations. The location is decent--it takes about 20 minutes to walk to Diocletian's Palace."

• Travel date: 15th August 2004