Riva Superior room

Fantastic

Reviewed 14th January 2013

"I can not tell you when I stayed at a hotel which I enjoyed so much! I like smaller hotels and this hotel with a little more than 50 rooms is great. This is my first time to Hvar and was anxious on how Hvar would live up to all the press I have been reading about Hvar...it did!!! Hvar is a stunning little portifino 10 years ago. Beautiful archectecture, great influence of different foods and amazingly clean turqoise water. The hotel is stylish bold and contemporary but not over the top. The rooms are not huge bu lets face it...when you are in such a beautiful place like Hvar with so much to do why would you spend some much time in your room. Superb location, great terrace for people watching and yacht watching. My friends I loved the terrace and spent hours there after we came back from the beach. The staff was very helpful and did everything they could to mak our stay enjoyable. A memeber of Small Luxury Hotels. I will back!"

• Travel date: 2nd June 2008

Do Not Stay at the Riva!

Reviewed 20th December 2012

"I would not stay at this hotel again. Hvar is a beautiful island that attracts many travelers, and because of that the hotels, restaurants, and stores are overpriced. While this is natural, some cross the line, including the Riva. The room we checked into was so small that my husband and I could not both walk around the bed at the same time (European hotels are usually smaller, but we are talking much smaller than the average!). The room was poorly designed, and every time we took a shower the entire bathroom area flooded. It suffered from such a lack of space that there was no place to hang our wet towels. The hotel also plays LOUD techno music every night until 2am, even in the hallways, so if you prefer quiet this is not the place for you. The rooms are much too small to stay with a family so I would not recommend this for families either. There is no pool or beach, so no place to relax and unwind by the beautiful Adriatic. We found the staff only moderately helpful. I definitely would not stay here again and would not recommend this hotel."

• Travel date: 14th August 2007

Great place, but some issues...

Reviewed 10th December 2012

"Just came back from 14 days in Hvar and stayed at both the Riva and the Park. Riva is a great hotel with a fantastic location. Fantastic patio facing the harbor split into 3 parts. A great place to sit an relax while enjoying both the scenery and the service of the hotel. The rooms are very chic, but a little small, and the glass see through bathrooms are a bit over the top. Since it attracts party people its not the best choice if you cant handle some noise."

• Travel date: 19th July 2007

Small may be beautiful but...

Reviewed 9th December 2012

"My wife and I often stay in hotels affiliated with the Small Luxury Hotels consortium and are rarely disappointed. The Riva was a notable exception. On the positive side, the staff couldn't have been nicer and for folks who love the Ian Schrager look, the hotel is no doubt perfect. But others should consider the following before making a reservation: (1) the rooms are not just small (living space: 9.5 by 14 feet) but so cramped that the bedside tables need to be swung into place from their recessed positions in order to be usable and, when they are, you cannot comfortably get from the bed to the bathroom without re-docking them; (2) it is not just the showers that have glass windows but the toilets; (3) the design of the sink guarantees that water from the faucet will splash everywhere; (4) loud music from the ground floor bar wafts into bedrooms on the front of the hotel overlooking the marina until at least 2 am most evenings/mornings; (5) if you are driving, you must park about two kilometers away and have your luggage delivered by electric cart; and (6) the food in the dining room is extremely disappointing. If staying in a place like this is what it means to be a Beautiful Person, I'm more than happy to settle for Ugly!"

• Travel date: 19th July 2007

James Bond experience.

Reviewed 9th December 2012

"An exceptionally stunning hotel. Im surprised that some of the other travellers didnt like it. The rooms were a good size with stunning views of the harbour. Service was relaxed and fantastic with beautiful looking local staff. The forecourt bar was a great place to relax and do some people watching. Definately one of the best Boutique hotels i have ever stayed in. Will definately go back. 5 stars from me."

• Travel date: 3rd July 2007

Fresh, Trendy and Improved Service

Reviewed 7th December 2012

"Stayed at the Riva for 4 days this May and found it to be fun, modern and refreshing. After reading previous reviews, I was prepared for the windowed showers/bathroom doors, which ARE definitely revealing! Rooms are small, but decorated with fun and modern flair. We happily had a balcony that overlooked the street/harbor below, which was lovely. Contrary to others reviews, we found the service at the Riva to be top noch - we visited the front desk daily to ask for help reserving cars, water taxis, excursions, etc. and the staff was up to each challenge - thorough, prompt and very helpful. Breakfast/ restaurant was just OK - we walked out to other restaurants in town instead. Riva's location is excellent and for a group of 30-ish single women on holiday, it was a fun choice."

• Travel date: 12th June 2007

AWFUL service! Total chaos! Not recommended!

Reviewed 27th October 2012

"My Croatian travel agent advised me against this property but I didn't heed her advice. I wish I had! It looked so enticing but she was right! It turned out to be the worst experience of this trip. The rooms are tiny (which would be OK if all the other problems didn't exist) and are reasonably clean. The breakfast is just OK. It's VERY NOISY because it's on the Riva which is the main tourist area for Hvar Town (again not particularly a problem if you know to expect it and I didn't mind). Upon arrival and check in, we walked into our room to find a naked man lying on the bed. It seems there had been a "mistake" (duh). We were then placed a nicer room after a very long wait and much confusion. By this time it was late at night. The next day was very nice and one plus for the hotel is that its very covenient to the water taxis and other attractions of Hvar Town. The next day (that night being our third and final night) we were surprised by strangers walking into OUR room. Again, there had been a "mistake." Because we had a nicer room then we had originaly booked (I would've booked it but it wasn't available), we were asked to pack up all our belongs and move to yet ANOTHER room in the space of 1/2 hour. All the while, the Russian couple to whom the room was now being given were impatiently waiting in the hall right outside the room for us to vacate. Needless to say, this was not a happy experience. Furthermore, if you do decide to stay in this hotel, you need to be very careful about your personal belongings as they seem to often let strangers walk into the rooms of their guests (I mean it happened to me TWICE in two days?). We never ate dinner there because the breakfast was so mediocre. Also, their drink menu is overpriced. Just venture a little bit into town one way or the other and you'll find many wonderful and more reasonably priced restaurants. Better yet, just don't stay here unless you have to. Price was not an object for us nor will it be when we come back to Hvar but I would pay more for a lesser property to avoid this place. I'm lucky to be able to select the nicer hotels and it's a tremendous disappointment when the experience a city you've been looking forward to visiting is damaged by such nightmarish service. There's lots of other choices in Hvar Town and I advise you to choose one of them!"

• Travel date: 19th November 2006

Expensive, Design Driven, But Pleasant

Reviewed 10th November 2012

"After reading the reviews in Trip Advisor I expected to be disappointed, but I was pleasantly supprised. Contrary to one of the reviews the toilet did have a door(see-through glass). The bathroom area itself was "open",and the shower had a glass window facing the bedroom, but I didn't find the design objectionable. If you are travelling with someone who needs privacy when they wash this is not the hotel for you. We had a direct view of the harbor from our window. The hotel is 30 feet from the boat dock, and 100 yards from the center of town so it is very convenient. I found the staff to be very friendly, a little inexperienced, but anxious to be helpful. Our room had a giant picture of James Dean on the wall behind the bed, and the hallway leading to the room had sketches of nude men and women in recline. Not everybody's taste, but interesting and different. The hotel appears to be trying a little too hard to be at the cutting edge of contemporary design, presumably to somehow justify the price. The breakfast left little to be disired, and the one dinner we had at the hotel restaurant was excellent. The king-size bed was firm, and large a feature appreciated by someone who is two meters tall. The hotel is a little pricey, but Croatia has crossed over. It is no longer a cheap vacation location particularly in "hip" places like Hvar."

• Travel date: 7th November 2006

Best people watching ever; ridiculously trendy rooms

Reviewed 8th November 2012

"We stayed at the Hotel Riva for 4 nights in August. After doing extensive research, we picked it because it was brand new and located right in the middle of town. The room was very small but spotlessly clean, with a really pretty harbor view. The layout and decor was super-modern in a way that definitely did not prize any sort of function over form. For instance: the safe was in a corner under the desk, with the door opening towards you, so that you could barely get into it, let alone see in there. The bathroom was totally ridiculous - there was no bathroom door and the shower had a glass wall into the bedroom area, which was fine if you were there with your significant other as I was, but the TOILET was enclosed only by a glass door. We like modern decor, but zero privacy in the toilet area is a little much. Also, as in many european bathrooms, there was no shower curtain so the entire bathroom got soaking wet. In my opinion, the hotel's location makes up for what the rooms lacked - it's right on the riva, and there is an fabulous outdoor lounge area with couches, big chairs and waiter service where you can sit and have a drink and watch the people walking by or partying on their yachts. (The drinks are pricey even by NYC standards, though - like $15+ for a cocktail). The breakfast was served outside and was also really good. The bottom line - not a good hotel room for people who are especially modest, but the location and the outdoor lounge is definitely worth it."

• Travel date: 3rd November 2006

Tiny Rooms, No Bathroom Door

Reviewed 23rd November 2012

"This hotel is located in the beautiful and scenic harbour town of Hvar on the quayside. However, just a word of warning - the rooms are tiny! We had booked a "Superior Double Room" via the hotel website. In reality the word "superior" simply refers to the fact that the room had a balcony and the room itself was the same size as any other double room, which was very small. There was just enough room around the bed and between the walls for one person to walk around - there was no additional floor space. I had to store my suit case under the sink in the bathroom as there was no space in the bedroom. The bathroom was also tiny - but the main issue was that it did not have any door. The shower also had a clear glass panel with full view into the bedroom. So absolutely no privacy! The balcony was also tiny with just enough room for the two seats provided but not enough room for two people to stand up at once! The overall effect was very cramped and claustrophobic and as a result was not good value for money in any way, quite expensive actually. The hotel website made no reference to the smaller-than-average room size so we had no way of knowing in advance. There were some larger rooms in the hotel but when we enquired with reception about up-grading they insisted that these were "suites", although to us they looked about the size of an average double room nothing like a suite. In any case, none were available. We liked the hotel location but the cramped room was definitely a disappointment. Also, there were no leisure facilities."

• Travel date: 14th September 2006

Extremely disappointed

Reviewed 11th October 2012

"Having heard great reviews through the tripadvisor site and frankly, not having much of a choice of luxury hotels in Hvar, we booked ourselves at the Hotel Riva for 5 nights end-Aug, early Sept. Our experience was way below expectations - and one incident in particular appalling for a hotel of its caliber. We arrived in Hvar at noon and had to wait till the normal check-in time of 3pm. So as usual, we left our bags with the porter who took them to the luggage room. We discovered later, while upstairs in the room, much to our horror, that someone had gone through the luggage and that several items were "missing"! A hand bag, a bag of chips (how random!), and other toiletries. I decided that since the hotel would probably deny it, not to make an issue of it, and enjoy the rest of the vacation. The next day, the sour experience continued, with the maids having forgotten to make up the room. The third day, they left the dirty sheets on the floor and didn't restock the bath gels. And so it went on. Order a cup of tea, it arrives with no sugar and spoon. The staff did not speak much English and was not knowledgable of the events in the town nor had any recommendations for restaurants etc. I understand fully that what we experienced are probably teething problems as the hotel is very new, but with prices that they charge, i certainly expected a higher level of service and professionality. Unfortunately, being the only luxury hotel in Hvar, unless you are getting a villa, there aren't too many other options for places to stay."

• Travel date: 7th September 2006

small boutique hotel

Reviewed 6th November 2012

"i was recommended to come here from Ellen at nycmove[-] as she put it, compared to the rest of what is available in Croatia, this small opulent hotel is refreshing, its sort of a South Beach minimalsitic style, and its also a scene and the views of the harbor are wonderful. yes its small rooms but pretty unique especially for Croatia. Its the new St tropez she told me and will get bigger and more famous. Go for it another aventure only upscale."

• Travel date: 31st August 2006

Hotels near Riva Yacht Harbour Hotel

Riva Yacht Harbour Hotel is also called

• Riva - Hvar Yacht Harbour Hotel
  • riva hvar yacht harbour hotel
  • hotel riva hvar