Villa Dubrovnik

Vlaha Bukovca 6, Dubrovnik 20000 Croatia

Adored the Villa Dubrovnik

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"I saw that this hotel was mentioned in several of my guide books on Croatia, but I truly relied on the reviews on TripAdvisor when I made my booking! I was not dissappointed in the least! We stayed 4 nights in this hotel, and it is situtated just outside of town. Far enough to be away from the hustle and bustle of the city, but close enought to walk to the city should you desire. We found the boat ride into the city very enjoyable. We arived after a very long day, and we were greeted at the top of the stairs by one of the staff who was on his way to drive a guest into town, but he kindly picked up our bags, ran back down the stairs, placed our bags at our room door, and handed us the key, and explained he would check us in as soon as he returned which was only 10 mins later. This type of service was consistent throughout our stay, everyone was so very friendly and helpful with ideas for walks, places to dine and things to see.
The room was wonderful, roomy and we had a marvelous view of the Walled City from our terrace that overlooked the Adriatic. They hotel grounds were beautiful, and the bathing area at the bottom of the hill was set up perfectly with lounge chairs, cushions and towels. There was easy access to the sea in many locations.
We had a delightful dinner in the Hotel our first night and a sad farewell lunch on our last day as we were going to miss the Villa Dubrovnik and her staff. The breakfasts were great, just right to get our days started! They have a lovely bar/library area to relax and have cocktails in, again with breathtaking views of the Adriatic and the Walled City. Thank you Villa Dubrovnik for a memorable stay!! I hope to return to you again!"

• Travel date: Tue 25th of October 2005

A great place to stay in Dubrovnik

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"I stayed at the Villa Dubrovnik for three nights in September. I found it to be beautiful, the staff friendly and helpful, and the location to be great. You do have to be willing to walk about 15 minutes into the old city or take the hotel boat (which could run more frequently than it does). The rooms were nice and clean. Try to get one on the upper floors as you have a better view of the water and the old town from there.

It was an inconvenience, as some of the other reviews mention, to have to wire money (in Euros) in advance to pay for the rooms. That was the biggest downside that I found to the hotel. We arranged to have the hotel pick us up at the airport when we arrived, which was a big convenience and since there were three of us, not very expensive.

We had to get the half board...the breakfasts were very good. We only actually ate one dinner there, preferring to go into the town to eat, but the dinenr we had was quite good. Our favorite experience at the hotel was to have a drink while watching the sunset over the town in the distance. Beautiful.

There are some hotels closer to the town (Excelsior and Villa Argentina for example) but we found Villa Dubrovnik more charming than those and worth being a few minutes further out."

• Travel date: Sat 24th of September 2005

A place to relax

Reviewed Tue 11th of December 2012

"My new husband and I spent a very happy fortnight on honeymoon at the Villa Dubrovnik. It is a very relaxing and laid-back place to unwind, which was just what we needed. The staff were friendly and very professional, without fussing over us unduly. We both travel a lot on business and wanted a change from the identikit international hotels we usually have to stay in.

The rooms are fine, and equipped with most things they should have, but one can see that next year's planned refurbishment is necessary. All rooms have a sea view, and the smarter ones enjoy the fabulous view of the old town of Dubrovnik that make the bar and restaurant terraces so special.

We found it slightly startling to be asked to pay for the accommodation in advance into a numbered Swiss bank account, and I gather this puts off potential guests in hordes. However, all went well and the final bill for additional meals, boat trips, drinks at the bar etc was suprisingly reasonable. We also had to subscribe to the half board system, whereby either lunch or supper is included each day. In fact this wasn't too bad a deal because although there are lots of restaurants in Dubrovnik, most of them are pretty ordinary in comparison (we enjoyed Levanat and Labirint, but found dining at Nautika, supposedly one of the best restaurants in the city, a truly dismal experience).

The hotel has its own boat, which undertakes regular trips to and from the old town every day (much more enjoyable than walking round by the road), and this boat can also be hired to travel across to the island opposite. If you like snorkelling, the waters around the island are clearer and calmer than the sea by the hotel; we saw many different, beautiful fish.

The clientele at the Villa Dubrovnik was an hilarious mixture of British pensioners, nouveaux Russians, quiet Americans and topless French ladies. It is a well run hotel with lots of character. We would recommend it for anyone wanting a good quality, amuse-yourselves holiday and who wants to avoid the cloying nature of the nearby five star hotels."

• Travel date: Fri 26th of August 2005

Best views in Dubrovnik

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"We have recently returned from 7 days at the Villa Dubrovnik. The hotel is a lovely small friendly hotel with fantastic views of the walled city of Dubrovnik. The rooms were a little dated but very in good condition with all the luxury elements such as fluffy dressing gowns and chocolates on the pillow at night. The double beds are however not double but two singles pushed together.

The breakfast is served on the balcony over looking the walled city and this is a lovely view and really relaxing, the breakfast itself can be a bit strange, if you order bran flakes you get a bowl of oats...the same applies to the bar food if you order a double toast chicken salad, you get a ham and cheese toastie with fries. However the waiters and staff are incredibly friendy and helpful and the quality of the food is perfect.

Overall the hotel is in a lovely quiet location, with fantastic views and lovely friendly atmosphere, I would definitely return!"

• Travel date: Thu 7th of July 2005

Super restaurant location

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"Visited for a meal which was very good - albeit quite expensive. Location of the terrace restaurant on a sunny evening is wonderful, as is the terrace bar. Worth the short walk out of town. Staff friendly and professional. Hotel seemed pleasant although not in the league of the Argentina and Palace - unless you prioritise peace, friendliness and quiet over international hotel standards.

PS Table d'hote restaurant offering which we observed was perhaps not as impressive as the a la carte which we experienced."

• Travel date: Thu 16th of June 2005

friendly staff in a terrific location

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"My wife and I have just returned from a 7 night stay. No need to pay for half board out of season. the staff were unfailingly friendly and helpful and the situation could not be bettered."

• Travel date: Sun 12th of June 2005

Stay here while you can still afford it!

Reviewed Tue 11th of December 2012

"My husband and I just returned from a 5 night stay at the Villa Dubrovnik. The hotel has an excellent location about 15minutes walk from the Old City. (Very easy stroll for all age groups although the stairs down to the hotel could be tough for the out-of-shape.) Thye offer shuttle service if the stroll is just too much!

The service was above average and, at times, exceptional. The front desk staff was awesome! We did not take the half-board and ordered exactly what we wanted. The food was very, very good. The waiters became like old friends helping us with wine choices and fresh fish picks.

The room was smallish by Western standards and a bit dated. The bathroom has a small tub/shower combination that you step-up (and I mean up) to get into and overall is closet-like. The balcony overlooked the city and Lokrum Island and contained two wicker charis for a little late-day reading.

What is important to know is that next winter, this hotel will be undergoing a major renovation which includes enlarging the rooms. According to Robert at the hotel, 3 rooms will be gutted and turned into 2 rooms. They plan on adding a street level and elevator which will do away with the long steps up. They are hoping to then regain the 5 star rating that they had a few years ago. So stay tuned and get there while you can afford it!"

• Travel date: Sat 23rd of October 2004

Beware of the Villa

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"After checking tripadvisor and other web sites my wife and I decided to spend our first three nights in Dubrovnik at the Villa Dubrovnik. I contacted the Villa by email and requested a three night stay. The nights requested were available, but to reserve the room I was informed that I had to wire transfer the full payment to the Villa's agent in Switzerland. The charge per night with half board (mandatory) was 329 Euro or nearly $400.00. I did further research on the internet and the Villa continued to get excellent reviews. We decided to go ahead and the transfer payment was sent.

The hotel was clean and had a good view of the old city and the sea. The staff was pleasant. The food was awful. The half board was to include breakfast and dinner. The night we arrived around 11PM we were offered a meal in our room ( the first dinner). We were given a plate of cheeze and ham. The breakfast ended up being continental, bread, jam and coffee. If you wanted anything else you could order off the menu. Price for eggs is 10 Euro or $12.00. Of the two other dinners, we had fish which was overcooked and beef which was difficult to chew. You are not given a choice of meals. Once again you can order something else of the menu. Prices are around an additional 25Euro.

We were extremely disappointed with our stay. The guest book had pages of comments from disgruntled guests, mostly commenting about the food. It was not all bad however, the staff put chocolates on your pillow each night."

• Travel date: Sun 19th of September 2004

Exceptional Small Hotel

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"The Villa Dubrovnik is probably the best hotel in town, with the possible exception of the extremely luxurious, tiny, and very expensive Pucic Palace in the old town proper. I've stayed in more or less all the top places, and the Villa comes out on top.

It's located an easy and pleasant 15-minute walk from the old town, right on the water with its own rocky swimming area (the Dubrovnik coast has few actual beaches). All the rooms have (smallish) balconies with beautiful views of the old town and Lokrum island just in front - because it sits on a small promontory its views are a bit more direct than those of the other area hotels.

The staff are probably the most friendly, competent and helpful I have ever encountered in dozens of trips to the Croatian coast. Service was simply the best.

Rooms are sort of small, but have everything you need (fine airconditioning, etc.) and are tastefully decorated in a sort of Mediterranean minimalist style (not a tacky spot in house). We slept soundly and comfortably.

The hotel bar, with beautiful brown-and-tan sofa lounges on an expansive, plant-filled terrace overlooking the sea and Dubrovnik town, is a fantastic place to chill with a drink.

One minor complaint: in summertime, half-board has become obligatory, and it's probably not worth the money. The dinners were all fine (really good by hotel board standards) but I'd have preferred the option of eating out. (Ordering a la carte, the kitchen can do some really excellent dishes.)

All in all - an exceptional hotel, we enjoyed every day and will most definitely be back."

• Travel date: Tue 3rd of August 2004

Loved the Villa Dubrovnik and its staff

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"Our first visit to Croatia, what a totally beautiful place! We stayed 7 nights at the Villa Dubrovnik - listed as a 3 star hotel but definitely worth a higher rating. It has incredible, uninterupted views of the city from almost every window in the place and watching the sunset from the bar patio was particularly good!

The quality and cleanliness of the hotel facilities is very high indeed and all the hotel staff were really friendly and extremely helpful to us.

As my wife is partially disabled, we chose to stay half board. During our stay, not a single meal was repeated - with the exception of the side salads. The quality of the food was always extremely high indeed. The half board menu was 5-course and was a full "silver service". The restaurant is bright and immaculately clean. I would particularly praise the restaurant manager and his staff for making our stay so very enjoyable.

The hotel has its own launch to take guests to, and from, Dubrovnik or a minibus for when the sea state is too rough - both a real plus I thought.

The downsides?? Approximately 40 steps down to the Hotel from the road and parking for cars is very limited. However, there is an intercom at the hotel gate and there was always someone available to come and carry heavy bags up/down the steps. My wife uses crutches and found that the steps were just about on her limit. If you are a wheelchair user then I would look at other Hotels - in fact look at other cities as the area around Dubrovnik is extremely hilly indeed.

Without a doubt, this was the most restful, and peaceful hotel stay we have ever taken. No dubious "evening entertainment", in fact, no noise in the hotel at all except very low background music in the restaurant.

Would we ever go back to this Hotel?? - We've started saving already...."

• Travel date: Mon 31st of May 2004

Hotels near Villa Dubrovnik

Stayed at Villa Dubrovnik? Share your insight.

Villa Dubrovnik is also called