About Valamar Argosy Hotel

• private beach
  • evening entertainment

Great hotel & Location

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"We stayed in the Hotel Argosy in September after reading the reviews here. I have to admit I definitely wasn't disappointed!! I found the staff to be all very friendly and helpful. The barman was great also, always brought drinks over to our table for us. The room was clean and comfortable and we had a fantastic view from our balcony, it was worth paying extra for the sea view. The buffet breakfast is very nice with a great selection of breads, fruit, cereal, eggs, cheeses, meats etc...

The pool isn't great, but because the hotels around are all in the same chain you can use their pools instead. If you exit the hotel by the pool area you will find a path, if you turn right it brings you down to the beach. We found the beach (copacabana) to be nice, but too stony when you went swimming so instead we went to the Valamar Club Dubrovnik hotel just up from the beach. I t has a huge pool and sunning area with plenty of loungers and a fabulous view out to the sea and the area surrounding babin kuk.

For lunch we found it handy to go to the small shopping area located between the argosy & Valamar Club Dubrovnik hotels. Paninis, salads, pizzas beer etc.. with a choice of a few places to go. There is also a couple of shops where you can buy bottled water, ice cream etc.

For dinner we went into the old town every night. The bus that stops outside the hotel runs a very frequent service and you can buy your tickets cheaper at reception. It's a quick journey into th eold town. There are plenty of choices in the old town for eating out, although I recommend walking around and checking a few restaurants before deciding where to eat. Most places also serve the entire fish i.e. including the head and tail, so I recommend checking with your waiter before ordering.

There aren't many pubs in the old town, but the 2 irish ones are the liveliest around. You'll meet plenty of travellers and backpackers, they both have a very friendly atmosphere and you'll be able to watch all sporting events...

Overall I would highly recommend the Hotel Argosy, it is great for couples.."

• Travel date: Fri 7th of December 2007

Should be good in season

Reviewed Fri 9th of November 2012

"Went to the Argosy with my 14 year old daughter for a half term break, Hotel was clean and tidy if a bit dated. Unfortunately we were at the back end of the season and could find nothing to do except go into Dubrovnik old town and look at historical sites (great for me, but not so good for a teenage girl). That aside, the holiday was a time to relax and chill out, if we were to go back it would be in season when I'm sure the hotel would provide a lot more entertainment and fun."

• Travel date: Mon 12th of November 2007

You can easily get lost in here!

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"And that is NOT a good thing! This is a terrific hotel, and the rooms are very nice and comfortable. But the place is laid out in a bizarre maze of hallways and stairways. I'm not sure how I was able to find the restaurant every day for breakfast - but I am sure glad I did! Wonderful selection, including American style pancakes (but no maple syrup), a fried egg station, bacon & sausage station and really good coffee. But sleep a little late, because most of the best stuff doesn't come out until 8:00 a.m. or later. The evening buffet is equally good and varied. My room was on the garden with a little patio; only problem was there was no divider between patios, so privacy was pretty much non-existent. A small dance band in the lobby bar every night was a delightful addition!"

• Travel date: Tue 6th of November 2007

Great value for money

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"We spent 5nights at the Argosy Hotel in a superior sea-view room, which was well worth the additional supplement. First impressions of the hotel weren't that great as, after checking in and entering the lift, this looked rather shabby inside and the carpet on the corridor outside the lift was stained. I began to feel somewhat apprehensive, however when we got to our room we were more than satisfied. It was spacious, light and airy with new furnishings and the bathroom was modern, no hairdryer though but luckily I had taken one, and both were very clean. We had a wonderful view from the balcony, especially when the cruise ships were passing by most days on their way to Gruz harbour !!!! The paintwork on the balcony needs to be renewed and also the paintwork on the building at the back of the hotel as this makes the place look a bit shabby. The breakfast was very good with plenty of choice, served in a lovely big dining room, all newly refurbished, with views of the sea and mountains and the staff were very friendly. We ate in the hotel a couple of nights and also found the choice of food to be very good and enough choice to suit most peoples palate. Apart from the city centre there are very few good restaurants near to the hotel - during the summer when the nights are light there are lots of restaurants about 15/20mins walk along the pedestrianised path which you get to by going down the side of the Importanne Resort. nearby.
The bar area was very busy during the evening and the barman in charge most nights was exceptionally helpful and friendly. There was also some live music on most nights, although not always to everyones taste but there was a really nice atmosphere with lots of different nationalities enjoying this facility.
Overall, we really enjoyed this hotel and I hope that they address the issues of exterior painting and renewing some of the carpets in the near future as it is a very good, clean 3star hotel with friendly staff and excellent breakfast choice. The No 6 bus is a couple of minutes walk from the hotel and takes about 15/20mins depending on the traffic and drops off at the Pile Gate which is right outside the City walls. Dubrovnik is a fantastic city and we found the Croatian people to be very friendly. We would certainly stay at the Argosy Hotel if we return to Dubrovnik in the future but would not think of booking a room at the back or middle of the hotel as the views would be too much to miss."

• Travel date: Wed 17th of October 2007

Great value hotel as a base for exploring Dubrovnik

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"We have just got married in Dubrovnik and needed a hotel that was near Lapad and would be suitable for the whole family and reasonably priced. Some of our family had refurbished rooms and some were still yet to be upfdated, however the overall standard was good. They were large, clean and comfy with all the facilities you need. We found the reception staff on duty during the day shift to be extremely friendly and helpful. They arranged for my elderly mother to have a room on the same floor as the reception and entrance and really looked after her, even allowing her to use a bedroom after we checked out as she had a late night flight. They provided complimentary fruit and champaigne once they found out we were getting married and were warm and sincere. However we found the duty receptionist at night to be very rude and surly. If you want to stay in the hotel in the evening, the only option is the lobby bar and the receptionist will send you to bed when he feels like it. He will switch off the lights and tell you to leave at 11pm, even if you are not be noisy or other guests want to continue socialising.
The food was excellent and the buffet style restaurant has been updated and is large, cool and has stunning views. There was a wide variety of food and it is freshly prepared. The food and service was far superior to the 5 star Hotel Croatia where my husband and I spent the rest of our honeymoon.
If booking this hotel as part of a package holiday or via a tour operator, I would say this hotel represents excellent value for money, however one of our guests had to book directly with the hotel which was more expensive than you would expect for a 3 star hotel. Overall I would recommend this hotel if you are looking for a base for several days in order to explore Dubrovnik and fhe surrounding area. The small shopping centre has a good range of shops selling all that you would need on holiday and there is also a cash machine which is much easier to use than queuing for the machines in the Old Town.
It's extremely easy to get to the Old Town via the number 6 bus which is very frequent and costs 8 Kuna. It's great to be able to escape the crowds of Dubrovnik and be back i n the tranquility of Babin Kuk within 20 minutes."

• Travel date: Thu 20th of September 2007

Terrible service but ok room

Reviewed Fri 12th of October 2012

"We just returned from our honeymoon and Croatia and ended up staying our last 3 days in Dubrovnik at the Argosy Hotel. Most parts of the hotel were fine but I found the room to be mediocre at best for the money. The first night we were there, my husband saw a millipede and a few mosquitos/bugs in the room. When I informed the front desk host about it, she informed me that we already had one of the best rooms in the hotel and that there was not much she could do. When she asked me what happened with the millipede, I told her we killed it and she laughed. She said they were a three star hotel and that if we wanted 5 star accommodations, we should go have stayed at the Hilton. I also asked her if we could have a clock in the room because there wasn't one and my watch had stopped. She said they don't have clocks and if we wanted to know what time it was, to call the front desk. When we tried to call the front desk the following day to find out the time, we got a busy signal for 20 minutes. We went up to the front desk to find that there was only one person working at the desk and he was still on the phone. When we finally checked out of the hotel, we had a dispute with the rate and they said there was nothing they could do and that it was already in the computer and we had to pay it. In my opinion we paid over 3 times as much as what the room was worth. In summary, the hotel itself was ok but the front desk service was terrible. I would not recommend this hotel."

• Travel date: Sun 16th of September 2007

Great Buffet

Reviewed Sat 17th of November 2012

"The hotel is situated about a 10 minutes walk from a pebble beach which was not that impressive. The hotel does have 2 pools although the very loud music being played spoils the otherwise quiet setting. However I discovered that residents can use the facilities of the nearby hotel President which is owned by the same chain. This hotel I would recommend. It has a much better pebble beach and raised concrete decking areas allowing you to dive into the sea. Although you can use their beach side resort you will be asked to pay a fee for the use of the sun beds. I tried to upgrade to this hotel but was unable to as fully booked.
However the Argosy is still a very pleasant hotel with helpful staff. I would recommend going half board as the buffet was very impressive, a great choice for all tastes. The rooms are rather small but are clean and have everything you would need.
The main town is only about a 10 minute bus ride from outside the hotel. Unfortunately the day we visited Dubrovnik the smoke from the raging fires had covered the city which spoiled the trip, however it’s a lovely town and well worth a visit. Would recommend a stay at this hotel but if you are able too and can afford it I would recommend the staying at the nearby Hotel President."

• Travel date: Thu 13th of September 2007

Clean Hotel, Fine for the price.

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"The Argosy Hotel is one of those large beach resorts that hope to attend to your every need - so you'll stay and spend your money on site. If you consider that the Argosy was build around the time Tito was on his last legs, you'll understand some of the heavy concrete and eastern bloc architectural touches. But that's all in the past and the Argosy is attempting to move on. They have done a fairly good job of updating, but it's a slow process. The dining room has been re-done and it is excellent. They serve a breakfast buffet that is one of the best I've seen in Europe or the U.S. It looks like some of the rooms have been updated. The common areas have not, they look a little needy. That's not to say that the place is not clean or maintained. The common areas and the rooms are clean. Although our room had not been updated, it was more than adequate. The furniture was fine, it had a mini-bar, the bed was very comfy, and the bathroom was in fairly good shape and large. The bath and shower were fine. There was a safe in the room. The exterior could use a power wash about every 6 weeks, it would help restore some shine to the place. The location is quiet, it's at the end of the road on the Babin Kuk peninsula, but access to the old town is easy on the 6 or 6A express bus. You can buy tickets in the hotel (cheaper) or on the bus. It's about a 20 minute trip, and if you have a car, leave it at the hotel if you are just going into town. Parking in town is almost impossible. The Argosy does have a mall area with good food and shops with very fair prices, in some cases cheaper than in town. If your intention is just to lounge at the pool, eat and drink, than there really is no reason to go into town. In that case - The Argosy could possibly fill all your needs."

• Travel date: Sat 25th of August 2007

Never again - any place but here!

Reviewed Fri 9th of November 2012

"I've traveled quite a bit in the last few years, and hands down staying at the Argosy was one of my worst travel experiences.

First off, the hotel is WAY out there, far away from any place in Dubrovnik that you'd like to go to. But you can't blame the hotel for
that, and that has little to do with the low ranking I gave it.

The front desk staff is flat-out rude. Getting any sort of directions
or help was like pulling teeth. In addition, they held on to our passports for over 10 hours, claiming that it was a slow process to enter them in to their computers. Only when we demanded them back did
they enter the information and give them back to us (but only after making a big fuss and making a rude comment about America).

The rooms are clean, but don't expect any frills - the air conditioning is decent at best, and otherwise all you have is an average bed, bathroom and nothing else. For the cost of the hotel you
can do much better at other hotels in Dubrovnik (in other words, for its value, there is far better out there).

Breakfast is not included in the package, so make sure you account for that.

The only reason that I'm giving this place 2 stars instead of 1 is because they were kind enough to let us check in at 11am, after an all-night flight.

However, standard checkout time is 10am, which doesn't give you much of a chance to relax in the morning.

Overall, just an absolutely terrible experience here."

• Travel date: Fri 3rd of August 2007

Satisfactory hotel, good setting.

Reviewed Sat 17th of November 2012

"On seeing the Hotel Argosy from the outside your heart may skip a few beats, but I promise that when you walk in you get a much better picture of the hotel, although our reception into the hotel was frosty and we did find the reception staff very unfriendly during our stay.
Our room was basic, but clean and fairly modern and we had a nice balcony overlooking the sea, which was a bonus as we had forgot to ask for this! Be warned there are no hairdryers in the room, even though it is advertised that there will be one.
The food in the restaurant was very pleasing. The staff were friendly and you had lots of choice for breakfast and dinner.
One thing we were a little disappointed with was the pool area - it isn't half as nice as it looks in the brochures. However there is a choice of a few beaches right nearby so this wasn't a problem. I'd reccommend going down to the Hotel President beach, which you get to through the hotel. You are allowed to use their facilities, though you may have to pay, but it's worth it.
The hotel is perfectly positioned and I am glad we stayed in this area. There are regular buses into the main town and the harbour. The beaches are nearby and also right next door to the hotel are a few shops, bars and restaurants.
Croatia is a beautiful place and is definitely worth a visit before it becomes a tourist trap."

• Travel date: Thu 2nd of August 2007