About Sun Gardens Dubrovnik

• tv rtr planeta russia
  • adult pool

Expensive and over rated

Reviewed Tue 16th of August 2016

"Food and sports facilities are good, hotel is inaccessible due to the lay out - thousands of steps, promised sea views weren't provided and everything was very expensive - over £5 for a small bottle of Coke, over £4 for a small bottle of water from the ice cream parlor is one of many examples. No sound proofing between floors meant 7am wake up calls each morning as children above paced up and down in the apartment above. Shower didn't work properly the entire week and smelt like it had been used as a urinal in the past. I really wouldn't recommend this hotel. "

• Travel date: Fri 5th of August 2016

beautiful lovely hotel and staff

Reviewed Thu 27th of December 2012

"the hotel complexe is huge but it is so well planned out that you could well be in a small very design hotel. The various swimming pools are all great with lovely furniture and the restaurants are very nice.The service is very helpful and friendly. The rooms are spacious and sound proof! All in all a very nice place to relax and enjoy a beautiful country wonderful weather and transparente warm sea.
laura V"

• Travel date: Thu 20th of August 2009

Very good facilities with inexperienced staff

Reviewed Fri 7th of December 2012

"Since this hotel is very new, all facilities are clean and spacious. We stayed in Junior suite and double rooms. Junior suite is spacious and suitable for family. The main concern is on staff particularly at restaurant both morning and dinner time. They did not have enough staff and also just concentrate his or her responsible areas. Whenever we ask something to other staff than those who is responsible for our area, they just ignored our request by saying "I'm not responsible for this tables.". I think this is management issue rather than each staff's quality and experience.
Buffet in the morning is caotic after 8:30, but food is OK. In the dinner time, they have different menu everyday, but their Asian foods are terrible. Seafood was good.
They plan to have 7or 8 restaurant at the end, but currently only opened 5. Once those are fully opened, then you could have enough choice, but not now.
Beach is good, but quite difficult to find out free sunbed particularly if you arrive there after 10am. There are four pools and bars & restaurant around pools are also nice.
Spa is amazing. I forgot how many different sauna they have in vary sparious and quiet spa.
Overall, we really enjoyed our stay, and would like to come back a year or two later when the problems they have now should be managed in better way."

• Travel date: Thu 20th of August 2009

Beautiful Hotel, relaxing stay, service could be better

Reviewed Thu 27th of December 2012

"I've just returned from a week long stay with my husband. I agree with most of what's written here but think much of it will be resolved with time.

We really liked:
- Our Room - we stayed in a deluxe king sized room which was spacious, great sea views and an amazing bathroom (bath/shower with clear screen between it and the bedroom - which can be covered with a curtain if you want to protect your modesty)
- Pools - we mainly used the Marina pool (over 16's only) which was quiet and great for doing my lengths in. we were usually the first there at 9.30am each morning and it didn't really get busy till after 10. Even then there were always loungers available in the sun or shade. There are two other pools where kids are allowed and an indoor pool in the spa.
- Cilantro restuarnt. Contrary to a previous review we found this had the best service (at lunch time anyway) and delicious food - we ate there almost every lunchtime
- Ginja & Tartufo - both served the most delicious food and had good service
- the Spa - we both had a massage which was great and comparable with UK prices, e also spent a lot of time in the spa loungers which were more like large beds/couches. These are only available for people who have signed in at the sap (again over 16 only)
- Speed boat to Dubrovnik - much nicer than getting th bus though you do have to plan. We got the 5.30pm to town and had time to walk the city walls and have dinner before coming back on the last boat at 9pm

Tips:
- Get to breakfast before 9am if you can. Our first morning we were later and the staff were struggling to cope - there were no clear tables, poor service, and juice/fruit etc had not been refilled. After that we went before 9 every day and had no problems
- If you are in a room with the clear screen between the sleeping area and the bathroom use the lights from the wardrobe if you need to use the toilet during the night. The curtain wasn't sufficient to block out the main lights which inevitable woke me up when my husband went used the bathroom in the middle of the night
- Relax about the service - yes some of the restuarnts (Fishmonger in particular) they can forget things and be slow, but hopefully, like us you're on holiday and not in too much of a hurry to get anywhere.
- If you want to use the gym try getting out of the midday heat and go between 12 and 2 when it's just about empty. We went one eveing at 6.30 and it was packed with no free cardio machines (not helped by a number of people staying on them for more han 30 minutes which I felt was quite inconsiderate in a busy gym)

All in all we had a fantastic, relaxing holiday and would recommend the hotel to friends and family"

• Travel date: Tue 18th of August 2009

A brilliant plan but not so brilliant implementation.

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"We have returned from the trip just yesterday so here are some of my impressions while they are fresh:

Location: a bit far from Dubrovnik, feels much more than advertised 8 km as it takes at least 20 minutes drive and 25 Euros by taxi or 30 minutes by ferry (7 Euros one way) however it was ok with us as due to the hot weather we didn't move around too much during the day.

Territory: the territory is big, well planned and very stylishly and beautifully designed. Although we were told that the hotel was fully booked it didn't feel like it - there were always spots near the pool and on the beach. As mentioned by others not everything was functioning yet but what had been felt quite enough for us. There's even a small and not too overpriced local chain supermarket on the territory which was really convenient.

Rooms: we have booked a deluxe room in a main builidng and were "upgraded" to an apartment in a villa, which I'm not sure was an upgrade as apartment serves a sligtly different purpose, however we were happy as I'm not a fan of huge hotel buildings and the apartments are located in smaller, much more secluded and quiet villas, the kitchenette came handy for snacks during the heat hours and the fridge for keeping white wine and fruit. The terrace was huge with a very nice sea view and the apartment itself stylish and very good quality. The only flaw - some weird smell was smetimes coming from either air conditioner or the plumbs. Room service was fine although they didn't seem to mop the floors too much.

Staff: ooops, as others mentioned this was the biggest problem - we could wait endlessly for the menus or for the bill. There were several times during a week of our stay when waiters forgot to bring what they were asked for. I believe it is not just the hotel's problem - in one restaurant in Korchula a person was reminded twice to bring the item which we never got but which nevertheless appeared on the bill:) The bus I was returning on from the trip to Korchula was overbooked by 4 people by the travel agency Radisson uses. Hopefully they either improve or will be replaced by a better agnecy as we also witnessed a scene with a hotel guest who booked and confirmed a boat but didn't get it apparently because someone offered to book it for a longer time. Also while I was bying a trip from a travel agent near reception another one was sitting in the only chair meant for clients fiddling with his mobile while I had to look at the information, pay etc. while standing. However I think poor service is something you get in most post socialist countries and Radisson will work on this.

Dining: it didn't feel to me that breakfast was overcrowded, also there were beautiful views from the terraces of the breakfast place, however the variety of food seemed quite poor to me, the service as already mentioned wasn't the speediest either. The restaurants for dinner seemed kind of overpriced which is to be expected in this kind of hotels but so were the restaurants in Dubrovnik itself - cost of dinner for 2 was always in the range of 150-200 Euros. I must say that the quality of seafood in the hotel fish restaurnat seemed to us way better than in other places.

To wrap up - most of what other travellers wrote in their reviews looks pretty accurate to me (except for that the place is noisy and that non-guests are allowed on the beach - I haven't noticed any of those) however despite of all the described shortcomings we have enjoyed our stay and had a great overall impression of the trip."

• Travel date: Mon 17th of August 2009

Lots of space to play, wonderful water, big spa

Reviewed Mon 17th of December 2012

"I stayed in this newly opened hotel for three days in late July 2009. It felt as if the place was open for years. The views are great, the food was much better than at other Dubrovnik hotels I previously stayed at. The sport centre was still closed but I believe it should open shortly with a kids club. The resort beaches are pebly, but so are most of them in Croatia.

I did not view the distance from Dubrovnik old town as a problem - one can get there by boat or a taxi quite quickly. I tried the spa - the treatment was great although the space feels slightly clinical.

I highly recommend the place for families with kids. I don't think there is another place like this in Croatia. It is the first season so do not expect everything to be perfect but the rates are now very good value."

• Travel date: Mon 10th of August 2009

No Radisson service

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"This resort has so much potential that I am really hoping they get around to live up to the Radisson standard they are supposed to deliver.

Dining:
Ok, the place is newly opened so not all shops and restaurants were open. We knew that before we booked and was fine with that. BUT the staff in the restaurants that were opened seemed mostly very unaware they were there to serve the guests and the long waits for even a simple thing like the bill at the end of a meal was ridiculous. Worst examples Cilantro and Tartufo. However I would very much recommend the Bakery and Ginja, they were miles ahead of the others.
Breakfast in the morning was chaotic if you came at the wrong time, and patience was required if you wanted an omelette or coffee (basically something you could not get yourself) However the standard of food was excellent, lots of fruits and vegetables.

Rooms and apartments:
We had one regular deluxe room and one apartment. The deluxe room was comfortable, great views and a nice balcony with chairs and a table. The first day they forgot to clean our room but except from that we had no complaints.
In the apartment the floors were dirty upon arrival and stayed that way for the whole week. In addition to that it seemed like we were the first ones to live there because the kitchen cabinets were empty upon arrival and no additional bed was prepared. It took two phone calls and finally a trip over to the reception to get some action...
In the apartment we also had our worst service experience ever in a hotel: My brother came back from the beach one day to find a member of the service staff laying in his BED watching TV!!! Needless to say he kicked the man out of there immediately...

Location and outside areas:
We loved the scenary and the views from the resort. Ok, so it takes a while to go into Dubrovnik but we were happy hanging around at the resort most days anyway. They had a boat shuttle and bus shuttle to the city in addition to the cheaper local bus from the top of the road. At daytime the pool areas are great. They had 3 decent size pools, one being "agelimit over 16" which we thought was really nice. Loved the bartenders there, quick and attentive and just as service minded whether we only asked for tapwater or were actually going to purchase something. We usually finished the days out on our decks watching the sunset and moon rise while the cruise ships left Dubrovnik for the night. Absolutely stunning.

Oh yea, one more thing. The agency in the lobby that rents out cars, scooters, leisure activites etc are only allowed to use certain vendors. We did some research ourselves and found better deals directly than what they could provide. That being said, no complaints on the service provided, this was clearly a management decision.

Could probably write a lot more but think I'll end it here. All in all we had a good stay and would definitely go back there in a few years (if tripadvisor reviews indicate they've got their service on the right track that is...)"

• Travel date: Sat 8th of August 2009

Dissapointing experience in a Radisson branded hotel!

Reviewed Fri 7th of December 2012

"When choosing our vacation destinations we, with my wife, usually do not choose big hotels with lots of people but since this was a Radisson branded hotel, we decided to try it out - at least based on our previous experiences we thought it is gonna be great and looked ok on the web site....
Unfortunately it is based in Croatia, where the word "service" does not have a meaning. We were aware of this beforehand but again we thought Radisson took care of it. First of all DO NOT expect that this will be a relaxing holiday on the sea-side for you or your family and I am not talking about other people or the crowds: the hotel is positioned next to the "Jadranska magistrala" road where heavy traffic is heard all day and most of the nights (additionally to the constuction of new hotels around this one)... so forget about Deluxe room and sitting on the balcony in quiet, enjoying the view. Therefore if you do not want to sleep with closed windows (we don't) do no choose this hotel...
Second, the service is awful! Everything is a problem for the staff and you can expect that you will have to clean your own table at breakfast (the staff leaves it dirty and complain they have too much work!!!), search for your towels around hotels since they constantly misplace them or not be allowed to sit at a random table (with a nice view) in a totally empty restaurant since you do not look appropriate to them...
One more interesting thing is the "private beach", which is not private at all but shared with all the locals (a couple of hundreds) from the near by villages and you actually have to fight with them to get your paid-for sun bed...
Also forget about the walks around the hotel, since the only walking path is before mentioned road, where you can get killed walking/jogging while breathing car exhausts...
If you want to visit Dubrovnik, be prepared to pay a lot, since the hotels "knows only" about the trips and visits organised by a tourist agency located in the hotel (in fact this is concierge in their thinking?!) and they unfortunately forget to tell you there is a much more convenient city bus in front of the hotel....
Finally Radisson rushed to open the hotel and half of the things haven't worked at all like air-conditioning, phones, room service was random, no exchange office operated, no shops as described on the internet site...
I am really sorry that Radisson management hasn't done a better job here and I doubt they will be able to do it with the staff working here (I understand local language and I have heard some of their comments about the hotel guests) so I would definitely recommend some other location or hotel to spend your money in."

• Travel date: Mon 3rd of August 2009

Very stylish

Reviewed Mon 17th of December 2012

"We have booked this hotel online and got a very good rate. When we arrived we realized that this huge hotel has just opened only 3 weeks ago. For this reason, everything is very new and in perfect shape, and the design is first class in all aspects.
All rooms have sea view, and the hotel has several pools and access to a nice beach just below. It seems that the beach is not just for hotel guests, but that is no problem at all, as the hotel is located in a tiny village, and there are reserved umbrellas and beds on the beach for hotel guests only. The area is really very nice, and the grounds of the hotel are attractively designed.
The food quality was superb, and the prices in the restaurants are really reasonable. The staff is generally very friendly and helpful, but on two occasions we were quite disappointed. However, this could be attributed to the fact that everything is so new, and there is some lack of experience.
First, when we arrived at 2pm the room wasn't ready yet. We were promised that it would be ready in 30 minutes. However, when we came back after more than one hour, it still wasn't ready yet. We were told it takes another 20 minutes, after that time 20 minutes more, etc. In the end we got our room well after 4pm.
Second, breakfast was completely overcrowded. I understand that the hotel was fully booked, but it was impossible to find a clean table. It seems that tables are not cleared without asking the waitresses at least three times (which is what we did). The food quality was good, but half of the things were always empty (but they were refilled after some time). All this can be attributed to the fact that there are just not enough waiters and waitresses.
Apart from these two things, everything is else really is perfect, the room was great, pool service was good, the relax areas are very nice, and the wellness area is huge and very modern."

• Travel date: Tue 28th of July 2009

Absolutely brilliant

Reviewed Fri 28th of December 2012

"It's by the sea about 6 miles north of Dubrovnik. There's taxis or bus or even a boat transfer into the old town. You can see all of Dubrovnik in 2 days and it's on the coast road so easy to explore the other direction. Montenegro and Bosnia are both an hour away. It has a number of specialist restaurants all of which had great food and were still less expensive than eating the usual tourist rubbish in Dubrovnik! Breakfast buffet and dinner buffet in main restaurant both really good. Room comfy with aircon and big bathroom and all the usual facilities plus big balcony with fantastic view across the water over to the island. Sports centre building not yet open but all weather pitch and tennis courts & beach volleyball are. Got it's own proper beach and sunbathing areas which is pretty rare and there's a harbour where the boats stop. Only opened in July but you wouldn't know it. Loads of staff and all friendly and helpful. None of the city hotels have the same facilities and there isn't another resort anything like like it in Croatia yet. Great for business and then cutting loose after work. Because the rates are being kept low for the first season it's a complete no-brainer."

• Travel date: Wed 22nd of July 2009

Beautifull Resort

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"Even though the Resort has just been opened, we had a really lovely 3 days. Even though the Hotel is not located in Dubrovnik city, boat transfer from the Hotel to the Old City harbour made it simply perfect.
A number of different specialzed restaurants, helpfull staff, 3 pools, remarkable SPA and a private beach made our stay at Radisson just perfect."

• Travel date: Sun 19th of July 2009