Good

Good hotel but still needs few improvements

Reviewed Sun 9th of December 2012

"Have just returned from one week in Libertas Rixos with my husband and three children. According to many locals we spoke to the Rixos is regarded as the best hotel in Dubrovnik.

The lobby area is beautiful - very airy and spacious and check in was excellent. Reception staff, particularly Daniel, were all top class. Breakfast was also very good - served in a lovely restaurant with lots of choice. We had interconnecting rooms on the second floor - lobby is on the 11th floor. The rooms were good if not as spacious as other 5 stars I have stayed in. I do think that while most of the hotel is 5 star quality there are some areas that don't quite come up to scratch. While the outdoor pool and bar area are fine and the view is beautiful the area for the sunloungers is just all concrete slab and the sunchairs were hardly top quality.

Service with one exception was good. Food was okay."

• Travel date: Mon 21st of July 2008

Stunning location, slightly ragged edges

Reviewed Sun 9th of December 2012

"Myself and my wife stayed at the Rixos for a week of our honeymoon in early July. When we we arrived we were incredibly impressed by the huge atrium/lobby area and the staff were very helpful checking us in. They even provided a bottle of bubbly in our room (worth playing the honeymoon card!). When we started to look a bit closer, it was obvious that the hotel has been rebuilt on the cheap. There are many areas of the finish that are already crumbling and broken, and its only been open a few months! Having talked to locals, they said that it is owned by a Turkish company who used their own contractors, and so they are reluctant to get them back over from Turkey to sort out all the issues! Overall it has the impression of a well-designed 5 star hotel having been built with the cheapest materials and labour around. The location is wonderful, though. Clear sea to swim in and not too far from the old town. The breakfast is absolutely fantastic, too. There was no hint of smell in the bathroom, but we did note 2 plug-in air fresheners had been installed, possibly to combat it. The shower leaked all over the floor when used, which was annoying, and the television kept freezing so we couldn`t use it. The maintenance man just came and shook his head despairingly and then walked off muttering in Croatian!

The one evening meal we ate there wasn`t very impressive and quite pricey so we ended up eating out in Dubrovnik the rest of the time. (Note: stay away from the Nautika restaurant - 2 bland starters and 2 drinks came to over £100!!!)

In summary, it`s a very impressively-styled hotel in a great location, but just don`t look too closely at the finish and decor."

• Travel date: Tue 15th of July 2008

Views to die for

Reviewed Tue 11th of December 2012

"My husband and I have just returned from staying at the Rixos Libertas. We were more than satisfied with the hotel, staff and service. Our room was on the second floor and I could have spent the whole week on our patio (with sunbeds) taking in the picturesque scenery. I would highly recommend this hotel to friends and family although I must say that Dubrovik is by no means a cheap holiday destination."

• Travel date: Sun 6th of July 2008

libertas not taking liberties

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"had a week at the libertas rixos here is a summary of what we found
1-rooms brilliant light /clean/airy with a view from the balcony you could die for even sun beds on the balcony if you like your own company and want to sunbathe in private
only down side is the cupboard space is a bit limited if just 2 persons for 1 week you are OK but any longer or a larger family would struggle (i think the family rooms are larger anyway)
2- food breakfast very good spot less buffets with many choices even diabetic jams and marmalade's i thought a very nice touch
we only dined in the hotel 1 night but food was good and not as expensive as i thought however we did not eat in the most expensive gourmet restaurant pool bar is good with some varied lunches on offer
3-position very good walk in to the old town a bit longer than 20 Min's if you are getting on a bit like me especially in the unusually hot weather we have had buses are good if you know the timetables and restricted services at the weekends and holidays
4- sun deck is a sun trap like nothing we have seen before sun from 8 am to 6 pm no need to move beach is not really a beach just a small bit of shingle but very refreshing swimming in the crystal clear water
5- service again good and enthusiastic with the porters most pro active helping when ever they can
staff probably need to improvise more Saturday morning not enough sunbeds but it took a while before a supervisor could get more beds out
(that however is another subject)
overall very good no fishy smells no pool out of action we can recommend to adults of any age but not for young children or teenagers
straw bear"

• Travel date: Thu 3rd of July 2008

"Coming together nicely"

Reviewed Sun 23rd of December 2012

"We stayed at this hotel in June 2008 for ten days and were sad to leave. Prior to our arrival we were a little anxious in light of the other reviews, but can say that the hotel is getting its act together.

The staff are attentive and friendly, and made our stay enjoyable. The room was spacious and modern, with fantastic views of the coast and local islands from the balcony. We liked the bathroom, but those who require privacy should be aware! The walls between the bathroom and main bedroom are glass, meaning that you can see the views from the rainshower. There is a blind on one glass wall facing the main bedroom but not on the side.

The hotel has a wonderful spa, which is definitely worthy of a five star rating.

All of the pools are now fully open and so is the beach bar. The "beach" is actually a sun terrace which falls away to meet the gorgeous blue sea with a small shale beach. Would recommend a snorkel!

Breakfasts are first class, but expect to pay hotel prices for food in the evening. As a result most people walked into the old town of Dubrovnik (about 15 min away) on the evening meaning hotel restaurants were quiet.

Overall, the hotel has the potential to be fantastic, and will soon get there as a five star. Dubrovnik is an amazing place to visit and can't wait to go back.

BTW if you are staying for a few days it is worth booking the Bay of Kotor trip with Elite Travel through the hotel. The trip visits this amazing area in Montenegro giving you a chance for a quick look around Kotor, followed by a boat trip around the bay."

• Travel date: Sat 28th of June 2008

We loved this Hotel

Reviewed Tue 6th of November 2012

"My husband and I have just returned from our stay at this Hotel.
On arrival we were warmly greeted by the reception staff as it was 1 o clock our room was not ready so we went to the bar overlooking the sea on the lobby floor. It was really beautiful we had a coffee and one of the staff came to bring us up to our room on the 5th floor. I had read the previous reviews a couple of days before arriving about the smell so we were abit nervous. Our room was perfect and like all the rooms had an amazing view. We stayed here for 9days and were really happy. The outdoor pool was completed on our second day so it was great to sit by the poolside and the staff could not have been more helpful with whatever we needed. The poolside restaurant was due to open at the end of this week it would have been nice to see it up and running while we were there. Everything in the Hotel was spotless.Two staff members Marie and Anita were lovely and friendly and so helpful.
The food was excellent. Overall we would certainly return to this Hotel and would recommend it to all.

Dublin, Ireland"

• Travel date: Fri 6th of June 2008

Not ready to open yet

Reviewed Tue 6th of November 2012

"The hotel is located on a beautiful hill with most rooms having a balcony with an ocean view. Room was large with a shower area that allowed to see the ocean as you showered. However, the niceties end there. There were many problems throughout the whole hotel which just opened last Christmas - many staff did acknowledge that so I think they should not be open, especially when customer service is not up to par. This a 4-star hotel with 5-star prices (cheapest room started at US$400 during my stay) and 1-star service. Only 40% of the hotel had A/C working - the weather was hot (temps about 30 - 35 Celsius) so it was hard to get a good night of sleep. Despite many complaints, the AC was never fixed. I was offered to move to a room half size with, a half sized bed and no balcony nor view - passed on it. I had one spot light in my room that wouldn't shut off at night and lit the whole sleping area - had to call the front desk at 1 am to have someone fix it (had jet lag!). The balcony had many problems: door didn't lock, the lounge chairs didn't work, spot light was missing. The toilet was leaking but no foul smell as others have reported. The shower area is great if you're by yourself or with someone you're really intimate with because you can't hide while taking a shower! In addition to that, the water splashes all over the floor so you'll be cleaning up after yourself! Toiletries not of a 4-star quality either. No clocks, irons or facial tissue in any room (I asked!). The day I departed, no wake up phone call (I was leaving at 4:30 am) - when I complained about it, the front desk person said he called me up but I wasn't in the room (at 3:45 am)!!! I also ordered breakfast for that morning by hanging the order on the door as they requested - nobody picked it up! The restaurant service was poor, the staff was definitely not trained to please or correct problems immediately. They forget to bring stuff you ordered but it shows up on the bill. Tables are not cleaned quickly and many times you have to do it yourself if you want to sit down; otherwise you'll wait for a long time. The only exception was the Le Select restaurant managed by a young guy named Christian - service was good and the food superb. I was there for a conference and many other people had similar experiences. They sent me a fruit plate to appease me (I was there for 5 days) but the manager refused to give me a discount on my rate. They ended up taking 2 dinners off my bill - big deal.
In summary, they have many things to do to bring the hotel to normal functioning. The staff is poorly trained and the prices exorbitant for the service that is offered. NOT WORTHY IT AS IS - MAY/JUNE 2008."

• Travel date: Fri 6th of June 2008

No Return Visit

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"Having spent a week at the Rixos Libertas the best job the Owners/Management have done is Staff Selection. The Interior of the hotel seems to be completed but in my opinion a problem exists with the sewage system, in certain areas/rooms a strong unpleasant smell greets you. The main, and childrens pool have still to be completed and the sunbed area is highly unsatisfactory in that the ouside bar/food counter looks like a builders yard.
The interior design of the rooms is amateur with inadequate wardrobe and drawer space, if you are sharing a room with someone you havn't known for at least half a lifetime allocate times for toilet and bath/shower so that you get some privacy. The floors/rooms (excluding floors 9,10 and 11) give the impression of cheap is good!
The food is good, linen and presentation is good.
Dubrovnik is a wonderful City and any return to the area will not include the Rixos Libertas."

• Travel date: Sat 17th of May 2008

Still some work to do

Reviewed Sun 23rd of December 2012

"This was not out first choice hotel as we were moved here from the Bellevue (closed for renovation) so we weren't expecting much. This is a very new hotel and in some ways that is very evident. Many of the facilities advertised (shops, outdoor pool etc) are not finished yet. Some of those that where looked rather shoddy for a 5 star hotel. For example some of the railings on the 'beach' were broken or loose and I would not advise letting children anywhere near them.

The room was comfortable but there were several things that took the shine off the new hotel. One of our sun loungers was broken and on several walls and doors there were pencil numbers and markings from when it was fitted out. There was also a terrible smell in the bathroom, like fish and sewage which was present at certain times.

The layout of the room could be difficult if sharing with those you are less familiar with. There is a large glass window between the bathroom and the bedroom (which did give a lovely view of the sea) and the door to the toilet is also glass leaving nothing to the imagination.

The hotel was well situated being a gentle down hill walk of 15 mins into the old town and very close to bus stops for the up hill journey home or for trips to the beaches of Lapad. The food at breakfast was fantastic and the wellness centre is well worth a visit.

On the whole our stay was very pleasant and Dubrovnik is a great place for a holiday. The Rixos has the potential to be a fantastic hotel, I would just give it a year or two to get itself to full working order."

• Travel date: Tue 13th of May 2008

Newly opened with some rough edges

Reviewed Tue 11th of December 2012

"When we arrived at the hotel we were warmly welcomed by the reception and fairly quickly allocated a room on the 9th floor. There was a horrible smell (and I do mean horrible!) and we asked for another room. Eventually we were sent to a room on the 7th floor where there was a similar smell though not so bad and we again returned to ask for a room without a smell. We were then allocated a room on the 6th floor which I don't think anyone had ever stayed in (the hotel is very new) and which was odour free.
This all took about 45 minutes to resolve which was an unecessarily long time as there were hardly any people staying in the hotel. I have no idea what the smell was but it was pretty awful. We stayed a week and from time to time we could smell it in the lift area and in the corridor in varying degrees on the 6th floor but it never penetrated our room.
When we left our bill included food or drink from the bar which we had not consumed. Before it was taken off the bill there was an enormous enquiry, a series of telephone calls and discussions with bar staff (in Croatian which we did not understand). Eventually the bill was rectified although without particularly effusive apologies which we thoght we deserved as we had the impression that they did not believe us. This took about 30 minutes.
So, allow plenty of time to arrive and depart! The main problem seemed to be that, whilst the reception staff were very nice, polite and helpful, they were not empowered to sort out problems and make decisions themselves. To take almost 45 minutes to allocate us an acceptable room in a mainly empty 5 star hotel was ridiculous in my view! To be unable to accept in less than 30 minutes that they had billed me wrongly (they had no evidence of the supposed transaction) was contemptuous of guests in a 5 star environment.
The hotel is very new and decorated thoughout in white or beige or light colours. It is very modern looking and lacks cosiness although after a while I started to quite like it. All the rooms are sea-facing with a balcony/terrace and the sea view is very striking although you cannot actually see the old town of Dubrovnik itself. Our bedroom was spacious - like the rest of the hotel decorated in light colours - and brand new.
The bathroom was unusual with full length (clear) windows on two sides overlooking the bath, shower and wash basin. On one window there was a blind but if the light was on in the bathroom you could see through it into the bathroom. The WC was contained in a separate cubicle off the bathroom but had a (frosted) glass door which, again, was a little disconcerting. It was certainly modern! The towels were good as were the consumables. The bath was deep but short in length: the shower was good.
The main bedroom had a desk and a mini-bar with fridge that we doubted was working properly.There was a plasma television with a variety of channels but little in English (Sky News and CNN) and an easy to work safe. The only wardrobe was small and and a little impractical as it's door fouled both the safe and the exterior door. There were no displayed fire instructions on the back of the entrance door. The lighting was superb but there were so many switches that it took almost the whole week to work out which switch worked which light. All in all a nice room - but unusual!
We had a bar meal one night which was very good (Dubrovnik is a culinary desert!) and the breakfast was also excellent with a fairly broad ranged buffet. The bar was underused and could be uninspiring but the staff were nice. There was a two drinks for the price of one offer in the bar up to 31 March on presentation of a voucher but it had on each occasion to be explained to the staff. The offer was still on the tables of the lounge when we left on 3 April although it had expired on 31 March.
One last point (I promise!). The hotel is a little away from the old town and it was a good 20 minutes walk downhill and a lot harder coming back although there is a good bus service (£1 a time) back uphill. So bear in mind that the hotel is not outstandingly central.
There is a superb indoor pool and a massive outdoor pool which had not yet been filled for use. There was also some (fairly minor) finishing work taking place.
I ended up liking the place. The staff were so nice and keen to be helpful that it was almost impossible not to. Nevertheless the hotel is new and there are a lot of rough edges to knock off before the 5 star rating really shines through. I wish them well in the future. as overall we enjoyed our stay."

• Travel date: Thu 10th of April 2008