Good

Some room to improve but overall a good experience

Reviewed Mon 22nd of October 2012

"There were many things we liked about our 5 night stay in early June 2008, but there were some things we would like to see changed. Overall it was a positive experience so we would probably return. The location was good - just a few minutes walk to all the restaurants in Lapad and then a 15 minute bus journey to Dubrovnik.

Room: We had a deluxe sea view room which was large with a beautiful view of the sea. We thought the sliding shutters were a peculiar shade of bright green and did detract from the view a bit but that is a small point. Although the cleaning was generally thorough there was a butter wrapper on a chair on our balcony when we arrived which is a small thing really.

Restaurant: The breakfast was good and was especially nice when we could eat outside (there was some rain the last few days). The view from the restaurant was beautiful so we ate there one night. The food was lovely but the service was a bit stuffy and could be more relaxed. That could be the reason the restaurant was quiet nearly the whole week. The music in the restaurant contrasted strangely with the service as it was a terrible euro pop type. Although we are relatively young (late 20s, early 30s) and not old fashioned we found it intrusive and would have preferred no music at all to it. There were no room service menus in our room and despite being promised some they never arrived and it took a while to get some food from the restaurant.

Pool: The pool is small but luckily there was never more than 4 of us at one time by the pool so it was fine. There is a bit of construction going on nearby so it wasn't totally relaxing but that happens everywhere you go now. A few times when we went down there were no staff around so we had to go to reception to get towels and cushions for the loungers. One major issue (which maybe they have addressed now) was that there were no umbrellas. There is no shade at all by the pool and both of us are quite pale and this was a problem. I ended up swathed in towels to keep the sun off. I asked the staff for one but was just told they didn't have any and none appeared during our stay. I know it doesn't affect everyone but it to me is a major fault. I have never stayed in a hotel anywhere in the world with a pool and no shade or umbrellas - it is a basic thing to have.

There were no loungers or umbrellas on the bathing platform when we stayed there although I see from a more recent review that they have them so perhaps they are only available during the high season.

There are some faults with the hotel but as it is fairly new perhaps these will be ironed out. Overall we enjoyed our stay and we would return. I think it is the best choice for a hotel in the area."

• Travel date: Fri 8th of August 2008

one of the best

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"We travel a lot and this hotel rates easily in the top 10
EVERYTHING WAS SUPERB
We stayed 7 days and could have stayed seven weeks
The hotel was so good and relaxing we could not be bothered at times leaving for day trips or area exploring"

• Travel date: Tue 15th of July 2008

Makes a serious case to be called “Dubrovnik’s Best Hotel”!

Reviewed Fri 12th of October 2012

"I stayed for three nights at Hotel More in Dubrovnik. Prior to this I had stayed at the lovely Hilton Imperial in Dubrovnik so a high standard had been set with which the Hotel More had to compete. Despite a number of positive reviews on TripAdvisor I was a little hesitant because often times in resort areas of the Mediterranean, Adriatic, and Dalmatian Coast guests pay for the location of the hotel rather than the quality of the rooms, staff, services, etc. Therefore a large number of substandard and mediocre hotels are allowed to survive and even flourish in these resort towns. After staying at the Hotel, I found that my fears were completely unfounded.

The Hotel is perhaps a 15 minute taxi ride from the entrance to the Old Town which will cost roughly 9-10 Euro. It sits on a costal inlet in the Babin Kuk area of town. This inlet is also home to several luxury villas and on the other side of the bay are a couple of larger resorts. From the hotel this inlet offers very picturesque views of the hills as well as the sea. It is a quiet area, much less busy than downtown and perhaps a 300 meter walk from basic services like banks, pharmacies, etc. If you insist on being in the center of town within walking distance of the Old Town this is probably not the hotel for you.

The hotel itself consists of a series of interconnected villas, which from the street descend roughly 7 floors from the street level finally emerging to a walkway, sunbathing area, and swimming area. The beach area is rocky rather than sandy but a small three-step staircase allows swimmers to enter the water and use the Hotel’s large swimming area, which is surrounded by buoys to mark the Hotel exclusive section of the inlet. The rooms themselves appear to be handicapped accessible (although I am not an expert) but all seem to be able to be reached by a series of elevators, those guests staying on the lower floors will first need to board one elevator then walk across the corridors to transfer to a separate lift on the third floor. However, the beach and swim area outside the hotel does not appear to be accessible as accessing this areas requires a traveler to traverse an old stone stairway.

I stayed in a Deluxe Room with a balcony and sea view. The rooms are exceptionally tasteful with seemingly a nautical theme with blue carpeting and armchairs accented by wooden furniture and a headboard featuring the town seal of Dubrovnik. The large work desk, nigh tables, and small snack table as well as the armoire and bar area had table tops that were authentic earth toned marble. The room was perhaps 34 square meters and could have used just a touch more room to navigate the lovely small seating area mini-bar and lounge area and access the generous balcony. The highlight of the room was really the balcony, which is enclosed but can be opened by using lanai style sliding doors and windows, which provided a spectacular view of the water and surrounding area. The balcony was tiled and very clean, also having the option to open and close the panoramic windows on the balcony helped to control light, privacy, etc., which was really lovely. My balcony contained a large lounge chair for sunbathing and two smaller arm chairs and was measured 15’ x 5’ (roughly 7 square meters).

The bathrooms were lovely with two-toned green marble, lovely modern fixtures, and a water jet massage tub with shower combination. I was a little disappointed that my king-sized bed was really two European singles pushed together but both beds, linens, and pillows were exceptionally comfortable.

I was also impressed because there was some serious technology in my room. One could be forgiven for thinking this was a business hotel. The massage tub was one of the most advanced I have seen in a hotel room and the shower works well without flooding the bathroom, a common problem I find in European hotels. The brand new Avaya phone system allows guests in room to block their calls themselves if they wish not to be disturbed as well as execute complex conference calls and transfers. The large Samsung plasma tv was equipped with numerous channels in various languages including thankfully 4 or 5 English language channels and an extensive selection of Hollywood movies available in several languages as well. The television also had several “AV in” and HDMI inputs for video conferencing and other tech-savy services. While most guests are not likely to need such features on vacation in Dubrovnik; it was comforting for me to know that these features were there is I needed them. All rooms are equipped with high-speed internet access via an RJ-45 Ethernet cable (cables and usernames for the Hotel network are available at reception). Wireless access is available in the lobby and conference rooms only.

In addition to the terrace bar in the lobby the hotel has a restaurant with large terrace on the ground floor. While not cheap a three course meal without alcohol could run (50-80 Euro/pp) the steak tartar I had prepared tableside was excellent and then the waiter presented me with the fresh fish of the day which was Adriatic sea bass which was then whisked into the kitchen prepared and filleted at my table as well. Service was a little slow which I think was more the fault of the kitchen and wait staff not knowing the prep time and cooking time of certain dishes rather than laziness on the part of the wait staff. The waiter I had was very friendly and starting telling me about Dubrovnik and the surrounding area. Some dishes from the restaurant are available form room service but the full restaurant menu is much extensive. I found the food at the resteraunt excellent and much better than the Hilton’s main restaurant.

The staff were generally very friendly although somewhat reserved at first. In addition to the aforementioned waiter a staff member at reception spent 20 minutes at three am looking for a cell phone charger for me, finally locating it. He promised that had he not found it he would have brought his own from home the next evening.

While all this will not come cheap, rooms in high season start at about 175 Euro per night, with sea views going at 250 inclusive of VAT, I found this hotel a substantially better value than the Hilton who charged substantially more for a sea view. And the More’s rates were on par with other small luxury properties in the area. I hope I can find an excuse to return to Dubrovnik to stay here again."

• Travel date: Sat 12th of July 2008

Ritz by the sea

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"My husband and I have just returned from a fortnight's holiday in Croatia where the Hotel More in Dubrovnik was our first stop. We had booked for 4 nights but because I wasn't feeling too grand on our original departure day, we ended up staying 5 days. I don't think I have ever had the pleasure of staying in such a beautiful hotel. The owner is obviously a perfectionist with an eye for detail and has discovered an important niche for a luxury boutique hotel in Dubrovnik. From our seaview room on the 3rd floor, we had wonderful views over Lapad Bay and the sparkling Adriatic. All furnishings and fittings are of the very highest standard, eg the jacuzzi bath, marble bathroom, luxurious beds. All the staff are very professional and helpful, from the reception, to the porters, to the restaurant waiters, to the cleaning team. They gave us a wonderful start to our holiday.

We had hired a car at Dubrovnik Airport because we were island hopping for the rest of our trip, but actually hardly used it during our stay in Hotel More. We enjoyed walking along the cliff path and then continuing along the very attractive promenade into Lapad where one could catch the no. 5 or 6 bus into the Old Town for 10 kn (or 8 kn if purchased beforehand from a kiosk), go shopping, to the bank, visit other bars and restaurants, go the the beach or just people watch. Walking along the cliff path in the other direction brings you eventually to the Dubrovnik President Hotel where there is another beach, albeit stony of course. The Old Town is unique and breathtaking in its own way, but we were so glad to return each day to the peace and tranquility and delightful Mediterranean vegetation surrounding the Hotel More.

This hotel will surely soon be no. 1 in Dubrovnik and is setting the standard for others to match."

• Travel date: Wed 9th of July 2008

best hotel in Dubrovnik

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"Quite possibly one of the best hotels I have stayed in! I have just returned from 8 of the most relaxing holiday days for a long time.

We searched high and low for a decent hotel in dubrovnik, they seem to range from the really large and rip-off hotels where you are a room number not a guest, through to the ropey end of the scale where you are faced with something stuck in the seventies and in need of a serious makeover that you just know its going to be awful.

We booked a taxi through the hotel to pick us up which was a nice relaxing way to strat the holiday.

Hotel More is only a few years old and trust me when I say you will not be disappointed, it's not the cheapest but terms of quality of facilities, friendliness of the staff, location and overall value for money I cannot fault it anyway. We came away thinking it was perfect, we wouldn't have changed a single thing. They havent finished building the fitness centre yet and there are things still being finished in the gardens but apart from that its all there.

Room - clean and modern, flat screen tvs, lovely towels and toiletries. We had a jun ior suite and it was lovely and spacious, the balcony was large too and had a jacuzzi on it

Staff - ALL very helpful and pleasant, Robert who handled our reservation was great. One day my friend stood on a sea urchin and they immediately took us in the hotel car to the pharmacy (I simply went up to reception to explain what had happened and what treatment they would recommend)

Food - to die for. We were Bed and breakfast, the brekkie was a great selection, fresh fruit, cooked stuff anything you wanted, I fancied an omlette one day and they brought it straight over. We only ate in the hotel on our last night becasue we wanted to eat when we were out and about and the hotel was quite pricey but it was to die for an amazing meal and we wished we had eaten in there as few times. In a lot of hotels there is a mad dash at brekkie for tables and it is also all noisey ans busy, Hotel More was completely opposite, everything was relaxed lovely cutlery and linen just so much more relaxing for eveyone and the only view was of the sea.

Beach - Well most of the hotels have a flat area on the rocks as opposed to beaches with sand and Hotel More was no exception. You had a 30 second walk down over some steps at the back of the hotel and the loungers and towels were waiting for you. The sea was really clean.

Pool- We didnt actually use it as we spent our time down by the sea, to be honest it is tiny and only has a couple of loungers but if you prefer the pool you wouldnt be dissappointed. There was also a jacuzzi for everyone to use in the pool area.

In terms of local places to eat you can just take a lovely 10min walk from the hotel in either direction and you come across places. The supermarket was about a 20min walk away. The bus stop is 10min walk away and takes you straight to the old town. We took taxis there because of the heat even at 5pm and then we caught the bus home, it was all very safe. I hired a bike for 6 of the 8 days we were there which i would recommend as a good way to see places. We also hired a jet ski a couple of times from a place directly opposite the hotel on the other side of the bay which was great fun.

I can't wait to go back already. Like I say I wouldnt change a thing."

• Travel date: Wed 9th of July 2008

fantstic hotel

Reviewed Tue 11th of December 2012

"We stayed in hotel More in June/July 2008 and having just returned I must say this is one of the best hotels I have stayed in, we travel every year to destinations all over the world but the quality of this hotel is second to none, the staff were very good helpful and polite not something you find very often in Croatia, The room was excellent with top quality fittings, the bathroom was very impressive with the best Jacuzzi bath installed, the view from the sea view room was spectacular, the restaurant was superb and so peaceful, The pool was small but as we had it to ourselves most days it was like having our own pool, the beds around the pool were heaven and being on the 5th floor the view was spectacular, the price of drinks and food were very good too for a five star hotel, all in all I would rate this hotel 5 stars and would love to return again, lets hope they keep up the standards they have set themselves"

• Travel date: Tue 8th of July 2008

Hotel More is more than enough!!

Reviewed Tue 11th of December 2012

"I stayed at the hotel More whilst in Dubrovnik with my wife, doing a reccy' trip prior to bringing a tour over in August. I have seen literally hundreds of hotels in the course of my job and have to say what an absolute joy the hotel More is to come across. We had two nights there and only wish it could have been longer. The staff are excellent, location superb, and the rooms are magnificent. All the latest bells and whistles and so so comfortable. Sadly, service with a smile is still not commonly found in the hospitality industry in Croatia, but it certainly is at the Hotel More.They understand the hotel business and what service really means. Based in Lapad they have a series of easy steps leading down to the water, and also a path that leads into town. From here you can get everything you need, and the bus will take you right into the old town, only about 10mins away. Return via the number 6 bus and a walk of approx 10-15 mins back to the hotel. Easy!

Personally I can't wait to go back. Hotel More keep up the excellent work. Andrew."

• Travel date: Wed 4th of June 2008

croatia's best small hotel?

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"The Hotel More might well be Croatia's best small hotel. We just returned after a three week trip to many places in Croatia, staying in very good hotels. This was by far the best. Fortunately, we had stayed there for six full days.

The room overlooked the sea and mountains, with wonderful nightly sunsets. It was complete with "five star" appointments, including marble and hardwood finishes. Extremely tastefully designed, it had a bathroom worthy of the Four Seasons.

The extremely friendly, competent staff repeatedly gave us fine suggestions and directions, such as restaurant ideas and locations, bus stops, excursions (in our case to Montenegro and to Bosnia), and many other aspects of travel. The front desk staff was fully trilinqual (especially the delightful and professional Nike).

Breakfasts were served in a setting that reminded us of what F. Scott Fitzgerald probably enjoyed in Southern France: a huge buffet, supplemented by eggs or any other similar item cooked to the guests' order, in an outdoor setting overlooking the water and served by the ever-present and very friendly Elle.

The entire hotel was spotlessly clean.

In short, this is a gem to which we plan to return."

• Travel date: Sun 1st of June 2008

What more could you ask for?

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"For those of you who want to escape the cruise ship crowds in the centre of Dubrovnik, head to Lapad where you will find beautiful coastal walks, good swimming spots and eateries... and a range of great hotels. Hotel More tops the bill in my view - opened recently, my wife and I had the chance to stay here in March 2008.

Beautifully finished, this hotel commands fantastic views across the bay. Most of the rooms have balconies and a sea view. Some even have a hot tub on the balcony. We were lucky - we were given one such room as the hotel was fairly empty in the run up to peak season - wow!

The rooms are typically 5* with marble bathrooms, spa baths and all the extras you would expect. The room furniture is of a high standard and you get a good flat screen TV as well.

The restaurant is good - there is a glass wall partition in the kitchen so you can see exactly what is going on - this gives you a lot of confidence and the food is really very good here. Once again, the terrace affords brilliant views.

Two minor gripes - the lift system is a pain. Reception is on the 7th floor (the top of the hotel). Situated on the side of the mountain, the rooms are at a lower level. You have to take one lift to the fourth floor and then walk around the corner to another lift to get to the lower levels. Also, the staff will turn down your beds for you at night. I know this is popular with the Americans but it is not my cup of tea so to speak. I'd put the 'do not disturb' sign on the door if I were you!

All in all a great hotel and we will definitely go back."

• Travel date: Sat 29th of March 2008

Very good choice

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"LOCATION: Great. 3 minuate walk to the new town which has about 10 restaurants, coffee bars, etc. There is a shared beach also about a 3 minute walk to the hotel. This is the same beach shared by Villa Wolf so for details on the beach look up villa wolf on tripadvisor. It is a nice beach but there are a lot of lounge chairs so I could imagine it gets very crowded during peak season (not when I was there). I didn’t stay here since I stayed at the President hotel which has it’s own private beach.

BED/SHEETS/PILLOW: Don’t know

LIGHTING: Don’t know

BATHROOM/SHOWER: Don’t know

TOILETRIES: Don’t know

CLEANLINESS: Don’t know

A/C: Don’t know

CLOSET SPACE: Don’t know

STYLE OF ROOM: At the time of this writing, the only pics available on the web at the even the hotels website were computer generated. I put the pics I received via email from the hotel on tripadvisor (cannot verify they are accurate)

FOOD: Don’t know

TV/INTERNET: Don’t know

SERVICE: Don’t know

COMMON AREA: The hotel is brand new and very beautiful. There is nice granite throughout. Definitely the most beautiful hotel I saw in the immediate area. The pool has no lounge chairs next to it and is very small. There is also a Jacuzzi that is above ground like you would see in someone’s backyard. Not impressive at all but given that it’s probably one of the only hotels with a Jacuzzi it’s definitely better than nothing. The Jacuzzi water was very cold when I felt it but perhaps they warm it up for you in advance???? The views from the common areas of the sea are impressive.

TIPS: If you are fine with not having your private beach then this would be the best hotel in the area. It’s new and luxurious. We considered checking out of our old but ok President to switch to this hotel but ended up staying since the president has it’s own beach. If you don’t care about this, I would definitely recommend staying here. I am not sure about where the bus stop is from this hotel to get to the old city but from the president it is right out front of the hotel, so convenient. This hotel is so new it seems to have no one staying there which may be another plus."

• Travel date: Tue 16th of October 2007