Excelsior par Excellence

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"Stayed here for 2 nights with my partner in April and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. As is wasn't yet high season we bargained the room down! We stayed in the older part of the Excelsior and our room was magnificent! The elegant room had high ceilings with french doors that opened onto a spectacular view of the Old Town. Even sitting on the toilet, we had a great view! The public areas of the hotel are tasteful and spacious. The terrace was one of the highlights of the hotel...even if you don't stay here, make sure to make time for a drink on the terrace with great views of the islands, the Adriatic and of course Dubrovnik. We found the staff helpful, courteous and efficient. The hotel has a huge sun terrace from where you can dive into the Adriatic! The only downside of our stay was that the indoor pool was not opened due to renovation, and in April the sea in Croatia is still cold...nonetheless I had a swim along with two other daft tourists!"

• Travel date: Sat 7th of October 2006

Very Good Hotel

Reviewed Thu 15th of November 2012

"We stayed there for 2 nites, and it was very good. The room rate was lower via internet, so our rooms did not have a nice view of the sea, but the room was still very nice.

It is very close to the old town, very comfortable, good service, nice breakfast on the veranda overlooking the old town. Breathtaking views. I would stay there again and would recommend to others."

• Travel date: Thu 28th of September 2006

Great location, dissapointing hotel experience

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"Stayed here as a single traveller during the first week of September. Arrived early evening and was given a very dark room at the back of the hotel that looked directly on to a stone wall about 10 feet away. (The hotel is built into the cliff at the back and these rooms are definitely best avoided). Asked for a room change and went through a series of indifferent conversations with people on reception, who, quite obviously, couldn't have cared less and I suspect that they are used to getting this reaction about these rooms; reception staff certainly need some customer care training. Finally given a room with a partial sea-view. Tired rooms and old tacky bathrooms. If you wanted a drink on the beach terrace you had to leave your seat, go and find a waiter, who was usually in the beach bar having a chat and a cigarette with colleagues and, while feeling that you are disturbing them, ask for a drink. However, the hotel amenities are good as is the breakfast.
Having stayed at a number of 5 star hotels in Europe, and realising that 5 star status is interpreted very differently depending on where you are, this hotel falls short on service and appears to rest on a self-perceived impression that is not reality. Great location but lacking the 5 star edge, and, at €200 a night, not particularly good value."

• Travel date: Wed 27th of September 2006

Good and Bad

Reviewed Thu 15th of November 2012

"We just returned from a three night stay at the Hotel Excelsior in Dubrovnik. We decided to stay there for the location of the property and the beautiful views promised in the reviews. We were not disappointed on either point. The location is great- just a 5 minute walk to the Ploce gate and the views of the Old Town and the Adriatic were amazing.

We have mixed feelings about this hotel though. When you stay here you really are paying for the view and location. Just know that. The room furnishings aren't that nice- we had cleaner rooms and better accomodations in every other hotel we stayed at during our trip- for much less money. But you can't beat the views you get here. Absolutely beautiful!!!

Originally we reserved a room with a sea-view but when we checked in we were given a room with a terrace overlooking the city and the water. That seemed great except we realized it was a smoking room. We didn't complain since it was about 10:30 at night when we checked in and we figured we wouldn't be in the room very much. Also, it was a treat to have the terrace with chairs and table and umbrella. But that's sort of how the whole stay was. We would be very impressed with one aspect and then disappointed with something else. For example, the breakfast was delicious- great food and ambiance with breathtaking views of the city. Yet, we were woken up every morning to the sound of a phone in the hallway ringing off the hook. Every time we took a shower our bathroom would be flooded. Most of the window coverings were broken and wouldn't open, etc.

I don't know if I would stay here again. I don't think things would have bothered me as much if the hotel was less expensive. With higher rates your guests are naturally going to have higher standards. For a self proclaimed 5 star luxury hotel I expected better."

• Travel date: Tue 19th of September 2006

Good Choice For Dubrovnik

Reviewed Thu 18th of October 2012

"10 minute walk into old town is perfect as you stroll into town in the evening for your dinner. Hotel is located just along the coastal road but this is a positive as is therefore has fantastic views looking down onto old town (picture postcard views). Hotel is 1970 design, but you fortunately aren't looking at the hotel when you are siping your drinks on the terrace overlooking the clear waters of the Adriatic and the old town! Rooms are clean and quite fresh, but not hugely large or particuarly luxurious. Stay here for the location, views and a comfortable base to explore Dubrovnik."

• Travel date: Sun 20th of August 2006

Fantastic location, friendly service

Reviewed Wed 17th of October 2012

"Honeymooned here early June 2006. Requested a room with a view of the Old Town in the old part of the hotel. Was worth asking for as the view was second to none. Old part of hotel had more appeal than the new part which resembles 1970s block. Breakfasts were great, plenty of choice. Other reviewers found the staff unhelpful but we found they were friendly and helpful throughout our stay. Clean, quiet, slightly dated decor but I was told undergoing refurbishment soon. Great swimming facilities inside and out. Good meal at the Taverna restaurant (part of the Excelsior), lovely view watching the sun set.
Best meal of the holiday was at the inexpensive and charming Dubrovaki Cantun up a side street just off the Stradum. Like being welcomed into someone's front room to enjoy lovely homecooked food with interesting little twists."

• Travel date: Thu 17th of August 2006

Major ripoff

Reviewed Tue 4th of December 2012

"My husband and I went to Croatia on our honeymoon and booked the Hotel Excelsior in Dubrovnik as part of our honeymoon. The first night we checked in, they put us in a room with two single beds. When we told them we were on our honeymoon and had requested a room with a king bed, they did nothing. The front desk service was very unhelpful.

The second night they finally moved us to another room with a king bed, but the room was very small (we had reserved a superior room) and there were police next door who had their walkie talkies on all night. Again we called the front desk to complain/ask for a room change and they did nothing!! They did not switch our room or even offer to make it up to us. For over 300 euros a night, I expect a lot more. This place is a major ripoff and the front desk is not very friendly. The last day there my husband told the manager we were not happy with our stay at the hotel, and he asked for a complimentary ride to the airport (or something to make up for the lousy service!) and all we got was lunch (with no alcohol included). I would recommend you stay somewhere cheaper in Dubrovnik as this place is definitely not worth the expense."

• Travel date: Mon 7th of August 2006

Great views and location

Reviewed Sun 21st of October 2012

"Our tour (Vantage Tours) booked us into the Excelsior for 3 days in June. Desk staff was less-than-helpful throughout our stay. Location is superb: walking distance to Old Town, walking distance to an interesting museum, walking distance to a local small grocer, fantastic view of the Adriatic (as well as the too many cruise ships now stopping in Dubrovnik), on-site good restaurant with guitar player. It's awfully pleasant to spend a lunch hour on the terrace sipping some Croatian wine while you gaze out at the small ships (and cruise liners!) on the water before you.

The buildings of Excelsior are on a steep hillside; our room was in one of the older parts of the complex, on -2 (yes, that is minus 2)... closer to the sea on one side, below the street level on the other side. We never felt closed in because of the gorgeous sea view, but I always wondered about dampness or mold.

Food was good, especially breakfast. Cleanliness good. Other staff -- in dining room, maids -- were polite and helpful, especially when I would say my few words of Croatian, such as Dobra Dan (good morning).

Would I stay there again? Yes. Is it my favorite place in Croatia? No. That vote goes to Hotel Milleniji in Opatija. But in Dubrovnik, it's a pretty great place to spend a few days."

• Travel date: Thu 27th of July 2006

Great location and fab breakfast!

Reviewed Sat 20th of October 2012

"Love the location of the Excelsior Hotel near the old town of Dubrovnik. Tariff on the higher side and the hotel is definitely traditional in its decor but the location is hard to beat - right on the blue Adriatic with a great view of the old town. Breakfast on the terrace as the sun comes up on the old town is wonderful. Easy walk (200m) to the old town."

• Travel date: Tue 25th of July 2006

Fabulous Visit!

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"My wife, our 4 year-old son and I have just returned from a week in the Hotel Excelsior in Dubrovnik. We stayed on the 6th floor of the new building, with a stunning view of the old town.

We found the staff to be exceedingly friendly, cooperative and efficient, and especially kind to our son who was given chocolates by the lovely lady (Marica) in the tie shop. Antonia in the Restaurant Zagreb was also very kind to him, fawning over him each morning at breakfast. The staff at the Taverna resataurant and the beach restuarant were also wonderful. Even the housekeeping staff got into the act; my boy was very good at getting extra chocolates during the turndown service.

A tip to those who have concerns about the cost of the minibar: there's a small market down the street, just outside the city walls, where you can buy water (sparkling and otherwise), beer, etc at a fraction of the cost of the minibar, and keep your goods in the fridge next to the minibar stuff. We stocked up a couple of times during our week.

Overall we were very happy with our experience at the hotel. Room was excellent (yes, we suffered the "twin" double bed, too), good A/C, extra bed for the boy at no extra charge. Food at the hotel very good. Staff wonderful. Well worth the cost.

With regard to restaurants in the old town, avoid the Adria towards the Pile gate end, just seaward of the main street. Spaghetti sauce from a jar, canned vegetables, no idea what a cappucino is - we left as the main entries were served.

The Proto (highlighted in the Rough Guide to Croatia) was excellent, and not tremendously pricey.

We also drove up the coast, and found a lovely cove village called Klek. Small, fairly secluded pebble beach - an excellent find where you'll only see locals."

• Travel date: Thu 13th of July 2006

My advise - go elsewhere. This hotel onl...

Reviewed Wed 7th of June 2006

"My advise - go elsewhere. This hotel only deserves a 2 star rating but charges 5 star prices. In our first room waste water from another bathroom dripped through our bathroom ceiling. It took some effort to persuade the hotel that this wasn't acceptable and to move us. After turning down an offer of one single room with a roll up bed, me and my husband we were moved to a tiny, viewless and slightly grubby room.

Overall. Rooms: small and tired. Service: indifferent and at times staff were rude. Food: horrid - thick dry slices of tuna dressed with lemon sorbet were served as Tuna Carpaccio. Spa: I enquired about a massage 3 times without any response. Private beach: a concrete creation.

The only saving grace is the swimming pool which is a good size but in a rather an ugly setting.

• Travel date: Wed 7th of June 2006

Fantastic city. We were lucky enough to...

Reviewed Tue 24th of January 2006

"Fantastic city. We were lucky enough to stay at the fabulous Excelsior.
Great food in the restaurants in the walled city then a couple of days on a yacht round some of the islands.

Would recommend Dubrovnik to anyone except for families with young children who might find it lacking a little in things for the kids to do and occupy themselves."

• Travel date: Tue 24th of January 2006