Good

Not a pleasant experience.

Reviewed Mon 28th of May 2012

"We recently stayed at this hotel for 5 night. We have travelled extensively around the globe and usually stay in 5 star hotels. This was not one. The staff were mostly polite but stiff and not forthcoming with information. Trying to get information from the reception staff regarding the bus to the old town was very difficult with the attitude that we should have known without asking. A number of the male staff were found to be very misogynistic, particularly the older gentleman in the restaurant/bar adjacent to the wellness centre. When ordering a particular glass of wine and finding that it was 'off' and undrinkable this member of staff refused to open a fresh bottle and dictated to us what he was prepared to serve. He then engaged in conversation with a fellow Croatian guest complaining about females and in particular British females (He was not intellegent enought to think that us British Females may understand the Croatian language). Interestingly at the time of our visit 70% of the accents in the hotel were British and clearly a mainstay of income for the hotel. This must prove difficult for the staff that are demonstably offended by our presence.

This restaurant was deliberately situated next to the wellness/spa area of the bar and advertised itself as the healthy option for those guests chosing to use the health facilities. Ironically however the guests using these facilities were not welcome to eat or drink here and were told they had to sit outside if wearing robes. This was not possible when it was raining, so we were refused service as a guest of the hotel. This was the sole purpose of us booking at a spa hotel!

The bathrooms were of a very poor standard. The shower was situated in the middle to the bathtub and consequently the full force of the water was against the small glass shower screen. This screen was not sealed and all the water poured under it onto the floor. It was impossible to have a shower without creating a lake of water on the floor. They seemed to have been deorated on a budget. The cleaning was very poor, we found broken glass fragments on our carpet upon arrival and they were still there 5 days later.

The geographical site of the hotel was very beautiful and the gardens and pool area was immaculate. I agree with a previous comment that the furnishings in the rooms was rather poor. Consequently we spent the majority of our time out of the hotel as we generally felt unwelcome. I would not recommend this hotel if you are British or female at all, and definitely not as a 5 star as it advertises itself.

• Travel date: Mon 28th of May 2012

stayed here: 25/07/06 A real find, a fa...

Reviewed Sun 17th of February 2008

"stayed here: 25/07/06 A real find, a fantastic modern hotel in picturesque surroundings with only a small travel to the "old town" of Dubrovnik. The hotel is very big and as mentioned, extremely modern. If your looking for a child-friendly environment and a pool that could have been designed by Prada then this is for you. With numerous things to do around the hotel, and a notorious swim-up bar in the middle of the pool, the hotel is really fantastic.
However, the hotel's environment lacked excitment in certain areas. Staff didn't show much intrest in us staying there and we never really gained that personal bond that you can get at other hotels.
If you want a super modern stay, perfect weather, and a hotel perfectly located then this is the stay for you."

• Travel date: Sun 17th of February 2008

Good location with great sea views from...

Reviewed Sun 17th of June 2007

"Good location with great sea views from rooms. Lovely clean hotel with friendly staff.

Only downside to hotel was the sterile 'Sunset Lounge Bar' which had poor service and expensive drinks, a shame as the views at sunset are stunning from here.
Regular bus service to Dubrovnik old town. Recommend getting boat to Lokrum Island for the day to escape the crowds.

Cost of eating out similar to UK. Recommend lovely family run restaurant in Lapad called Konobo 'Atlantic' on Kardinala Stepinca with Italian/Croatian food - wonderful homemade pasta, fresh fish, homemade cakes (try the Carouba Cake or courgette flower fritters!).
Overall great holiday.

• Travel date: Sun 17th of June 2007

I stayed here from 17 to 27 May 2007 wit...

Reviewed Tue 29th of May 2007

"I stayed here from 17 to 27 May 2007 with my partner and his parents and we thoroughly enjoyed our holiday.

The staff were polite and courteous, food was lovely (especially the breakfast), and facilities were excellent.

Views from the hotel rooms and restaurant were stunning, I don't think there is anywhere better located.

Buses run from right outside the hotel on a regular basis to Dubrovnik Old City (only a short ride) and cost 10 kunas or 8 kunas if you buy from hotel reception.

We would highly recommend this hotel!"

• Travel date: Tue 29th of May 2007

We arrived at the Dubrovnik Palace Hotel...

Reviewed Mon 23rd of April 2007

"We arrived at the Dubrovnik Palace Hotel to find the reception staff very helpful, booking us in swiftly and arranging to have our bags taken to our room.

The reception area continued into the Sunset lounge where the big sprawling windows looked out to magnificent views.

Our room was very clean and the bathroom was stocked with free Gharani Strok products being replenished as we used them. Our room was cleaned daily and sheets and towels changed daily.

We couldn't hear other residents from our room, they were very private. The room was everything it said in the brochure.

The breakfast buffet was everything you can ever imagine wanting from fresh fruit to English breakfast and a chef making fresh omelettes, or eggs anyway you liked them, and I believe I managed to try most of everything in the week we were visiting.

We ate in the hotel's restaurant overlooking the Adriatic where the food was excellent but also tried restaurants down by the beach, there are a few to chose from.

Our first night we went to one and ate outside then the heavens turned and what a display of thunder and lightning! It was a good show, which finished as quickly as it started, luckily we was under a canopy so stayed dry through it all.

The rest of the week we had warm weather with no storms.

The festival was on in Dubrovnik old town and its first night finished with a display of fireworks over the water.

We had declined to go on the boat trip from the Thomson operator (who by the way was the most helpful tour operator I have known) and realise this would have been the best way to see the fireworks over the water.

All in all it is the first holiday where I didn't want to leave; I enjoyed the magnificent hotel with its lifts (I never quite knew which door to go out of) with its piped music to the relaxed atmosphere and friendly people of Croatia."

• Travel date: Mon 23rd of April 2007

excellent hotel, fabolous location

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"Excellent hotel, fabulous location

just came back from a week holiday in this hotel. I was little bit worried reading some of the negative comments here, but actually when I came I realized that there is no reason to worry.
Location is fabulous. Staff is excellent, lots of young team members. Front desk and housekeeping staff very helpful. Hotel has a great spa (you should try some of the treatments). We were on half board and can’t say we were disappointed, although there are some things that need improvement. We’ll certainly come back!"

• Travel date: Tue 19th of September 2006

Disappointed

Reviewed Tue 6th of November 2012

"Our 5th Anniversaryand my 60th birthday - 2 weeks starting 3rd September 2006
When we entered the hotel the views were stunning and we had high hopes for our holiday
Our agent (Thomson) stated that under 12 year olds were not accepted at the hotel but we soon found that there were a number of small noisey children there.

1)ROOM - We had a superior room on the 3rd floor with stunning sunset views.However, after a few days we found that the upkeep of the room deteriorated and and we were billed for laundry that was not ours. We were also charged for a mini bar orange juice that we had not had. (We did not have any mini bar at all as our bill showed but it took 5 attempts at reception to get it deleted from the bill).
The bathrooms were very small with the door banging on the bath. The floor flooded after showers and the toilet paper was very hard. After the first week, the cleaners stopped bringing shower gels etc but it got better towards the end of our stay.
2) FOOD - The main problem was the food. We were on B&B thankfully because the food was disappointing. However,early on in our holiday, we had an evening meal to celebrate our anniversary on the hotel's Asian night .It was awful.Our fault that we did not complain but it was our Anniversary and we did not want a scene.It was very expensive though.
We found the staff on the whole very surly and unhelpful, particularly in the first week. They seemed a little more friendly in the second week. At breakfast you'd ask for coffee and they would acknowledge and then go and do something else. I served myself at times.
However, all that said, we had a lovely time in Croatia and for our Anniversary we had left in our room a bottle of champagne and flowers and for my Birthday I was given a little Birthday cake.
We thought that was really lovely and made the days special.
The hotel at this time I consider is 4 star only but has the potential of being 5star if it sorts its food and staff out.They need to go back to basics.There does not seem to be any supervision."

• Travel date: Sun 17th of September 2006

Good, but far from great!

Reviewed Mon 10th of December 2012

"Just back from a weeks stay in the Dubrovnik Palace. Having kept an eye on trip advisor leading up to our holiday, we were worried, even tried to change hotel! Most of those fears were overdone and infact we would have departed quite happy had this been a 4* hotel. However therein lies the problem, quite simply the Dubrovnik Place is a 4* hotel with 5* ambitions. Do not get me wrong it has an unrivalled scenic location on the Adriactic and compensates adequately for the waterlover / sun bather in the absence of a natural beach and the overall facilities are extremely good.
But the Dubrovnik Palace is let down on a number of fronts that are the cornerstone of any 5* hotel. Firstly, the service throughout the hotel is consistently poor from reception, to the chambermaids to the pool side attendants. Secondly, the bedroom is standard with a small bathroom which floods during your shower. As regards food, we were glad that we booked b&b rather than half board, as many guests mentioned the "tasteless" evening meals, however, we had no problems with breakfast, only, ensure you are down early!
Finally, during our stay there were 2 large conferences, which takes away from that holiday feel.
Utimately, the Dubrovnik Palace should be used as a base for touring a beautiful city, but it is an expensive one at that."

• Travel date: Fri 15th of September 2006

Over Priced / Over Rated / Terrible Food

Reviewed Tue 6th of November 2012

"My husband and I have just returned from our Honeymoon in Croatia and spent a week of it in the Dubrovnik Palace. We found that the hotel was really of 4 star standard and not 5 star for the following reasons:
-Rooms were very plain and basic in decor (no taste of extra luxury you would expect for 5 stars)
-Bathroom standards were poor (small in size, shower kept flooding the bathroom, no facecloths available, horrible cardboard-like toilet paper!)
-Dirty glasses and empty mini bar bottles were not collected for a few days
-Our room service tray was not collected from outside our door for a day & a half and we had to request it be collected
-But most significanly was the extremely poor quality of the FOOD. We ate in 2 of the restaurants on a number of occasions and also had room service. With the exception of the breakfast buffet, all food was unappetising, plain, bland, basic and sometimes not cooked adequately - one meal was completely unedible as the meat was raw and uncooked. All food was completely over-priced, the menu selection was limited and didn't vary during the week. Service was slow, appethetic and unhelpful. We voiced our concerns at the reception desk only to be told that we were not the only customers complaining. No gesture was made to make up for this inadequacy in any way.

Overall, we spent a couple of thousand euro during our stay and even though the views and setting are fabulous and the spa & pool facilities excellent, our overall feeling was that we were completely over-charged for a 4 star experience with very bad food, disguised as a 5 star experience. We were left feeling disappointed and upset, particularly as it was our Honeymoon.

I would not re-visit the hotel as a result and would not recommend to anyone else either."

• Travel date: Thu 14th of September 2006

Overall very good

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"Having read some of the previous negative reviews of this hotel, it was with some trepidation that I arrived there on 31st Aug with my wife and 2 year old son.
I need not have worried, apart from minor issues the hotel is excellent in all aspects.
We availed of the of the private transfer provided by the hotel and found this a very efficient and hassle free.
Our room was a superior twin with excellent storage and plenty of space even with the pull out bed for our son. The balcony was large with unrivalled views.
Breakfast is served in the Elafiti restaurant on the 7th floor with the option of indoor or outdoor tables, and is of good buffet standard with the addition of a chef who will make omellettes, french toast etc to order.
During our ten day stay we had dinner in two of the hotels 3 restaurants , the Taverna on level 1 is a fantastic setting, however the dinner menu is limited and the some of the fair is quite poor, it is however very good for lunch. The Elafiti serves buffet in the evenings, and as buffets go is pretty good.The staff in both restaurants were very helpful and very pleasant.
The bars are quite expensive and some of the staff, in particular at the poolside bar, appear to wish they were elsewhere , this however is a minor irration, and can be found at any hotel.
In general we found the hotel to be of a very high standard, with generally good standard of service, and would return without hesitation."

• Travel date: Sun 10th of September 2006

I could not agree with Ms. Tubb's review...

Reviewed Fri 1st of September 2006

"I could not agree with Ms. Tubb's review more. My husband and I recently spent 5 nights at the Dubrovnik Palace. I have to say that I found the Palace to be undeserving of its 5 -star rating.

I was anticipating true 5 star Adriatic luxury, similar lets say to the Hotel Excelsior on the Lido in Venice....plush rooms, excellent service, a bathroom from heaven. Instead, the rooms were rather cheaply furnished and outfitted. The sheets were high thread count, but the comforter was twin size thrown on a king (I had to call to get a feather pillow); the bathroom was as Ms. Tubb explained, very poorly designed and with very poor quality uncomfortable tiles; and the hotel staff were less than accommodating.

Based on the rooms this hotel really would be a 3 to 4 star hotel, really nothing nicer that your typical American Holiday Inn for comparison.

The hotel's facilities and common areas; however, were 5 star. Gorgeous pool and beach area. However, who goes to Dubrovnik to spend all day at the pool anyway?

My advice is that if you are going to Dubrovnik, stay at the Hilton Imperial instead. It does not have an outdoor pool beach, etc., but a beach day is not hard to do in Dubrovnik as beaches abound on the mainland and at nearby Islands.

Plus, the Hilton is a bit less expensive. The Palace definitely isn't worth the price tag. Also, don't visit in July or August as it is much too crowded and HOT at that time of year.

• Travel date: Fri 1st of September 2006

Great hotel, great staff

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"Great hotel, great staff

I just came back from a week at the Dubrovnik Palace. The first impression is breathtaking with the view out to the sea. Location wise, it is a great place to stay, away from the city but still close enough for a night out. The staff are always there with their smiles offering to give you a hand. They have two restaurants which are a must, the Tavern by the pool and the romantic Luna for a special dinner on the terrace.
The hotel has a diving centre where I scuba dived for the first time, the Adriatic Sea is amazing. Will certainly be back!"

• Travel date: Mon 28th of August 2006

Hotels near Hotel Dubrovnik Palace

Top traveller tips for Hotel Dubrovnik Palace

• Karen F by Karen F

"Remove the misogynistic and xenophobic staff. "

Hotel Dubrovnik Palace is also called