Street at the Hilton Imperial Dubrovnik

• pets allowed
  • heated pool
  • indoor pool

Good

This 5* hotel located just 2 minutes wal...

Reviewed 23rd October 2007

"This 5* hotel located just 2 minutes walk from the old town of Dubrovnik could not have been better choice for my stay. Their hospitality was excellent and I felt like at home. The room was very spacious with beautiful sea view and had minibar, ac; tea & cof facilities and luxury toiletries came as a standard together with Egyptian cotton bathrobe and slippers. There is nice bar on the ground floor (a bit overpriced for Croatia) and famous restaurant, where I had great breakfast every day. The leisure facilities include gym, pool, steam room, and sauna. There is internet access in every room. Truly nice experience. Would highly recommend this hotel. Tip: if you can’t' get the sea view room get the room overlooking the old town."

• Travel date: 23rd October 2007

A real refuge

Reviewed 16th October 2012

"We'd been on a yacht for 12 days and the weather was turning. A phone call to the Imperial secured our rooms and we thoroughly appreciated the return to dry land. Very helpful staff, clean and well appointed rooms. We had to return a couple of glasses of flat champagne, and one lunch in the restaurant (Hilton classics, burger and club sandwich) was very disappointing. Pool, sauna and steam room were great (pool's short for serious swimmers but it doesn't matter). Overall, very pleasant and just what we needed. Not as bland as some Hiltons either. Location is brilliant - just outside the old city walls. Would reckon this hotel to be a best choice for Dubrovnik."

• Travel date: 19th September 2006

Conflicted on the Hilton Dubrovnik

Reviewed 27th November 2012

"I was hestitant to stay in a Hilton, but wanted to stay in or near the old town and the Pucic was just too darn pricey and the humbler Starigrad was booked. The staff is excellent. Helpful and attentive. The breakfast is great--the only hotel we visited in Croatia to serve fresh OJ. Great variety. The rooms are large, clean, quiet and rather soulless as one might expect from a hilton (except if you get a view--so stunning you won't spend a minute looking inside your room). Location is great, right outside the pile gate. However, under no circumstances should you trust the Hilton online reservation system. A nightmare. They sent all sorts of conflicting notifications (no room available/room available etc). Then, when I checked the website before I left, the information was totally wrong. I wrote and they told me everything was as I'd reserved (two non smoking rooms with city views). When we arrived, there was only one (a smoking room without view). It was the one hotel I expected no glitches from, and the only hotel that screwed up. After a great deal of dickering, they upgraded one room and gave us a lesser one. Not worth the stress and trouble. Maybe they should use their people instead of computers to book their reservations. It would probably be helpful to the economies of the cities they're located in and would save their clients a lot of stress. One other complaint is that they charge (exhorbitantly, I might add) to use the internet (the only hotel out of the five we visited in Croatia). At those prices, it's absurd. How odd that an American based hotel chain is still unable to cope with the internet in a reasonable manner. While the hotel was definitely above average in many ways, I'd be hesitant to book again on principle."

• Travel date: 14th September 2006

Great Location, Comfortable, But Pricey

Reviewed 27th November 2012

"We chose the Hilton for a couple of reasons, 1) it is very close to Old Town, right at the Pile Gate, and therefore we knew we'd save time coming and going; 2) it was said to be a very comfortable place, with high quality rooms, service, etc.; 3) we were able to get access to the Executive Club floor through an AMEX card w/ Hilton Platinum status. The only downside was that it cost around $310 per night, which was way more than I had originally planned to spend in Croatia, which I had heard was cheap due to them not being on the euro. Not true, Croatia is expensive, period. Dinner there cost more than we usually spend in Manhattan (where we live) on a given night. Typical dinners in Dubrovnik, Split and Hvar, had entrees that cost around at least $15, so when you add in a salad, appetizer, wine, etc. we were usually spending at least $60 for a meal at a palce that in New York City might cost $40-$50. In other words, even lower quality restaurants weren't cheap, unless you wanted to eat at snack bar type of places. The staff was generally friendly, and spoke English very well. They weren't always definitive on where to grab a bite, or schedules of ferries, etc., but that seems to be typical of Croatians who work at hotels, restaurants, stores, etc. They tend to shy from giving you their opinions, and instead offer a few options. The hotel was very close to Old Town, you can walk there in about 4 minutes from the front door of the hotel, which was very convenient, and made us only need 2 nights in Dubrovnik (though cooky ferry schedules forced us to get a 3rd night in Old Town, as the Hilton was full our 3rd night, and the price was too much to want to pay for 3 nights there). If you want a comfortable place to stay and sleep in for your first few nights, and Dubrovnik is the beginning of your trip, this is a good spot to stay. If you are trying to save money and don't plan to spend much time in the hotel, then maybe this isn't the place for you. The beds were comfortable, the rooms (we were in the annex building just across the courtyard from the main building, no big deal, we liked the annex place just fine, and the walk is 15 seconds) were great, very spacious. I agree w/ others that the lobby wasn't a big spacious place, but who cares. It had plenty of room, was nice, clean, had a couple of couches where one could read, etc., and just up a 3 or 4 stairs was the main bar/lounge, w/ live piano players during the evenings, and a nice terrace where you could have a drink. One HUGE piece of advice, and a good value, is try and get the Executive Club access. It is basically on the 4th floor of the main building, and offers free soft drinks, wine, juices, and nice quality appetizers and desserts from early in the morning until 11 or 12 at night. We really took advantage of the floor, and cut out lunch 3 days in a row as a result, as well as enjoying the nice room, w/ a plasma TV, and others sitting around enjoying the space. One annoying aspect was sometimes you heard others speaking English, getting into political conversations as though nobody else was in the room who understood them, and we in general try to avoid too much interaction with fellow English speakers when on vacation, just to help keep it a "getaway". Regardless, this room is a big reason to stay at the Hilton. We got access by taking advantage of an AMEX card that is offered by Hilton that gives you instant Platinum status, so it may be worth getting the card before coming here, as the rooms that come w/ this status cost another $100 per night, I believe."

• Travel date: 22nd August 2006

Standard Hilton but nothing more

Reviewed 28th October 2012

"The biggest advantage of this hotel is definitely location. If you are coming for the first time to Dubrovnik then this is the place to stay. Otherwise it is typical Hilton. From the outside it is very impressive old Austro Hungarian building but inside you do not have a feeling that you are at Mediterranean sea. You could as well be anywhere in the world. Hotel entrance looks more like back entrance (hotel once used to have different entrance with stairs in front). Reception area is rather small and bar is quite long and not very cozy (for a quick drink not for couple of hours experience). Rooms are nice, well furbished and maintained, if you take standard room be prepared not to have nice room view (to private apartment as we did have). In the fitness area working was well under way. They explained they are building massage room, but I do not understand why they do it in August instead of January when hotel is virtually empty. Pool area is OK although we didn’t use it, if you prefer to have beach hotel then you have to look for other options. Staff was polite although at the breakfast they forgot couple of times to bring what we ordered. If you can get good deal on this hotel (I would say that standard room in Aug is worthy 150/170 Euro) then I would recommend it. Otherwise it seems too expensive for what they offer."

• Travel date: 20th August 2006

Great location, impressive from the outside, bland on the inside

Reviewed 24th December 2012

"We were told there were no other rooms available in the main hotel as it was so busy, but to try again the next day (we were only staying 2 nights). Excepting this we took our luggage across the courtyard into the Annexe. The room was huge with extremely high ceilings but actually felt quite strange as there was hardly any furniture in the room. It felt cold and uninviting and the view from our tiny balcony, which was actually on the ground floor, looking onto nothing but the back of an alley, was completely uninspiring. I decided after paying so much money that I’d go back to the reception and tell them I wasn’t happy (I’d never done that before). Luckily the chap that had checked me in was busy and I spoke to an extremely nice helpful woman. I told her politely that I was really disappointed and guess what, she found me room in the main hotel on the 4th floor with a balcony and the most fantastic view of the old city. The room was smaller but otherwise identical to the one in the Annexe. From the outside this hotel looks amazing but I was really quite disappointed with the inside, it felt like the heart had been ripped out and replaced with boring clinical furniture. There certainly wasn’t a grand entrance, just a small area to check in with a couple of desks. Walk up the steps and you are greeted with a long narrow bar area, not particularly inspiring. Rooms are apparently all the same. There was nothing wrong with them, but I wasn’t impressed with the bathroom at all. In fact it was exactly like my bathroom at home, with a shower over the bath with a glass panel! I had previously been staying in the Hotel Regent Esplanade in Zagreb which had really luxurious bathrooms. The best things about this hotel are: 1. The proximity to the old town, its about 3 minutes walk to the gate – called Pile Gate. 2. The view from the large balcony hotel room was great (it has a table and chairs to sit outside and admire the view). 3. The terrace, where you can have breakfast in the morning, nothing better than alfresco dining, also used for Dinner in the evening. 4. The breakfast itself – buffet style, plenty of variety. The café lattés were great. 5. The staff, very helpful and courteous (all bar one!). 6. The swimming pool, especially when its over 35 degrees heat outside, great to cool down in the middle of the day and then go back to the old town later. I did enjoy my stay at the Hilton and would recommend this hotel if you weren’t paying too much money for the room. The view made it something special and the staff could not be faulted (well apart for the check-in chap!). I just feel Hilton could have really done something amazing with this hotel and didn’t, it’s just too bland for me."

• Travel date: 15th August 2006

Dubrovnik Hilton the BEST!

Reviewed 23rd December 2012

"We are just back from a long, sunny week in beautiful Dubrovnik and all I can say is if you have the coin, try and stay at the Hilton Imperial Dubrovnik which is just one block from the Pile Gate to the Old Town. You will save hours and hours on your trip if you are planning to spend most of your time in the Old Town since many of the big hotels are miles away. We got in a bit late, midnight, but the Hilton front desk got us checked in in five minutes. The friendly professionalism extends to each and every Hilton worker -- from the front desk to the restaurant busboy to the pool guy. To say English is spoken at the Hilton is an understatement. The Dubrovnik Hilton was bombed in the Balkan War and was closed for most of the 1990’s. It was then used as a refugee center. A few years ago, it was bought by some investors and the new owners sunk about 50 million Euros into the place turning it back into one of the city’s showcase hotels. The rooms are painted in warm Mediterranean colors. The beds are very comfortable and the bathrooms are large, especially by European standards. Try and stay on the Executive Lounge level if you can afford it. That gives you entree into the Hilton Executive Lounge all day, with free snacks and drinks and fun. Every morning, a tasty and expansive buffet breakfast is served at the Hilton and you may sit inside or outside on the restaurant terrace. Eggs, bacon, sausage, mushrooms, potatoes, fresh fruit, breads, pastries, local hams and cheeses and juices, etc,... The staff will make sure your orange juice glass is always filled. We did eat in the restaurant, Porat, one night and I really enjoyed the steak. My wife thought the clams and mussels were good. We had the shrimp as a snack, and it was incredible! Porat is considered one of the finer spots in town and the bar looked like fun. The Hilton also has a spectacular indoor pool with a glass roof so the sun shines in all day. It does not rain that much in Dubrovik in the summer, but it can rain, sometimes, so if you have children with you, the pool is a great place to camp out until the sun comes back. I am trying to think of somerthing I did not like at the hotel and all I can say is there is some street noise from all the young men on their motorcycles sans mufflers. We were on the fourth floor, so it was minimal, so try and stay on an upper floor if you can. The Hilton rooms (many have balconies) that face the old town get morning sun and then afternoon shade. The rooms that face the sea get a ton of sun all day. The rooms that face the hills behind the city (kinda looking northeast) are in shade until late in the day, but see the sunset. Okay, let’s talk about the town. You know about the walls. Do them the first 90 minutes or the last 90 minutes of the day. Otherwise, it will be way too hot and crowded. One down note is the cruise ships. Yes, they have the right to stop and have fun too, but the local government says the tourists are a bit cheap, as they spend an average of just 5 Euros each during their stay, which barely pays for the cleanup after they leave. The city government is talking to the cruise ships about some sort of tariff, but that’s just talk right now. The churches and the sites are truly breathtaking and information on them is all over the Internet and guide books. So, I’ll give you a tip or two from the inside, if you will. If you are looking for a quick snack, around the Pile Gate, walk just half a block from the Pile Gate (on the water side) and stop at Taverna Dubrovnik. It’s a small, one-story, family-owned restaurant with pizzas and sandwiches and some seats outside. I’ve eaten a lot of pizza in my time, and must say their pizza rocks! If you want to get out of Old Town, grab a bus or cab to Copacabana Beach -- the biggest beach in town with tons of stuff to do -- sunbathing, swimming, water slides, para-sailing or just hanging out. We spent a long afternoon there and had a great time. Note that the taxi drivers have some cool new cars (Audis and BMWs), so do not get into their cab with a wet bathing suit on. The cabbie will not like it and may even refuse you a ride. If you want to balance the fun, with some serious stuff, please try and go see War Photo Limited, off the Stradum. Currently, this small museum/gallery is exhibiting war photos from award-winning women photographers who have risked their lives to tell us the news. There is one photo of a young Albanian boy watching the Yugoslav army burn down his village that I will never ever forget. There are still bullet marks and scars all over Dubrovnik, so tread lightly on the political stuff in casual conservations. The Iraq War, IMHO, has had very little impact on our day-to-day lives here in America, while the people of Dubrovnik still live with haunting memories of their war every single day. On a lighter note, if you are planning to take the city buses, to get around town, the good news is they are new, clean and run all the time. The bad news is they are packed and you may have to wait for the next one, especially down by the Old Town. They run very late, some until two in the morning. Note: There is a cool, comfortable Croatian Airlines bus that meets every plane at the Dubrovnik Airport. It will carry you all the way down to town for a small charge. It dropped us at the Pile Gate, a block from our hotel. But, get this -- if you want to take the Croatia Airlines bus back to the airport (it leaves 90 minutes before each Croatia Airlines flight), you must get on the bus at the Gruz Harbor bus station, not Pile Gate. Also, anyone can take the bus, not just Croatian Airlines passengers. In closing, I can safely say Dubrovnik is the most beautiful city we have ever visisted (after travelling around world for 25 years now), so please go and have some fun. And try the Croatian wine. My wife says it’s great and we were able to bring some home, one day before the new flight restrictions began. Cheers! Sid Portland, OR USA"

• Travel date: 10th August 2006

Not our favourite Hilton, but convenient

Reviewed 29th November 2012

"We chose to stay at this hotel because we had stayed at several Hilton hotels before and we had very much enjoyed our stays. We had also read good reviews of this hotel on this website. At check-in, no staff offered to help us take our luggage to our room. We booked a standard room for seven nights. It was very comfortable. However, its view was of rooms in the older part of the hotel. We sometimes looked out of its window to find people in their rooms staring back at us. On the first day we asked reception for a different room with a better view. They told us there was currently nothing else available (it was the high season) and we should keep asking. On the third day, we were told that we had one of the best standard rooms and if we wanted a better view then we would need to pay extra for it. We did like the décor and the air conditioning throughout the hotel was wonderful. During our stay, the temperature outside was sometimes around the mid-thirties. We enjoyed using the hotel fitness centre. It had a good sized swimming pool, sauna, steam room and gym. One night we came back to our room to find it had not been made up. (The room next to ours had also been missed.) We rang housekeeping and this was promptly corrected. The breakfast was buffet style. There was good variety of average quality. Occasionally, when we requested items (eg. boiled eggs) from the waiters, they arrived too late or never arrived. The hotels lobby is small. The hotel staff were polite. There was no concierge, but there was a small tourist information centre opposite the hotel. By far the best thing about this hotel is its location. It is yards from the Pile gate entrance to the old town. We attended some Dubrovnik summer festival concerts. It was great to be able to easily walk back to the hotel late at night. Dubrovnik is one of the most beautiful places we have ever visited. The Imperial Dubrovnik is not our favourite Hilton hotel. At some other Hiltons, we have paid much less and had an executive room with a good view (and better service). However, the location of the Imperial for the old town is perfect. We would stay at this hotel again if we could afford say an executive room (perhaps off-season), with a sea or old town view. We now understand that all Imperial Dubrovnik rooms have king-size beds and that all room rates include breakfast. Yet, on the Hilton website, we noticed that some of the cheaper room rates for this hotel to do not specify this. (Obviously, you should investigate this yourself before finalising a cheaper room rate booking.)"

• Travel date: 7th August 2006

Loved this hotel!

Reviewed 24th December 2012

"Absolutely beautiful. The building is a restored Venetian type palace and the service is impeccable. Must agree with a previous reviewer- not a typical Hilton. My room was lovely, overlooking red-tiled roofs and a garden and was so much more beautiful and spacious than any other room I'd stayed at in other Balkan cities, ie Zagreb, Lljublana, Split... Ordered room service a number of times and it was always delivered with a smile and of excellent quality. Didn't use the gym, but the pool and sauna facilities were very nice. The location, right outside the old city walls was wonderful and access from the Dubrovnik airport was a breeze. Dubrovnik is such a beautiful and unspoiled place that I'm sure even a drab, depressing hotel wouldn't ruin it's charms, but the grandeur, beauty and hospitality of the Hilton surely made my stay in the city all the more memorable. I will definitely return."

• Travel date: 5th August 2006

Blissfully cool in Hot Dubrovnik...

Reviewed 23rd December 2012

"Love this hotel. Fantastic location...just a few feet away from the Pile Gate, the main entrance to what might be the most beautiful city in the world (see picture). All that being said...Dubrovnik is HOT (close to 95 degrees all 4 days that I was there at the end of July). I must have come back to my hotel room 4 or 5 x per day...it was so cool, clean, a great place to relax. The staff also perfect...so helpful. And the breakfast ridiculous...way too many selections. One caveat...if you need to stay on the water (with a concrete "beach" but much farther away from town) this is not the hotel for you. You will want to Argentina or the hotel next to it. I love the beach and swam almost every day and had no problem walking to the city beach or the stone ledges on the city walls. Love this hotel."

• Travel date: 30th July 2006

Hilton Imperial is wonderful

Reviewed 29th November 2012

"Stayed at Hilton in July 2006. Our Executive Plus room had fantastic views of the old town from the balcony. Room was large, had great closet space (although no drawers), and good mattresses. While close to road and a 3 minute walk from old town, room was quiet although rooms facing road, but recessed from it, might be noisier. Breakfast was fitting for a 4 star hotel, with wide variety and high quality. Staff here and everywhere else in Croatia were pleasant and helpful. Indoor Pool area wreaked of cholorine, but pool was large and clean and relatively unused. Husband preferred ocean swimming spots near-by. Would definitely stay here again. Dubrovnik can be sweltering in summer (we were there before heat wave that blanketed Europe), and would recommend shoulder season."

• Travel date: 30th July 2006