Ariston Hotel

Kardinala Stepinca 31, Dubrovnik 20000 Croatia

Great Hotel and Great Location

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights in May. The hotel is located about 20 minutes on a bus outside Dubrovnik in an area called Lapad. Lapad is like a small village and has many restaurants, bars and some shops. The bus stop to the city is a 2 minute walk and only costs £1.00 each way.

The hotel is right on the coast and the rooms overlook the Adriatic sea. It was very clean and the service was very good. The rooms were spacious and well equipped. There are 2 swimming pools (both salt water), the only problem was they were still very cold. We ate in the hotel restaurant 1 evening and I would not really recommend this due to limited menu selection and slow service (it was the only bad service we encountered at the hotel.) It is much better to walk 10 minutes to Lapad and eat in one of the many restaurants there.
The cocacabana beach is a 10 minute walk from the hotel and is a lovely beach with some water sports available, it is definitley worth a visit.

Dubrovnik is a beautiful city, and if you are sightseeing in the Old town it would be best to do this early in the morning when it is less crowded. The nightlife is fairly quiet in the city, there are only 2 nightclubs in the centre, but the old town does have some small busy bars. We also took the boat across to Lokrum, which is a small island with lots of bird life on it and great views. also a nice cafe for lunch there

dubrovnik is a great city and if you want to have a city break and combine it with the choice of sunbathing etc then it would be best to stay in Lapad and so get the best of both worlds!!!!"

• Travel date: Thu 15th of May 2008

Very nice non-resort option in Dubrovnik

Reviewed Tue 6th of November 2012

"LOCATION: Great! 2 minute walk to the bus (15 minute ride) that takes you to the old town. It’s the first stop meaning you will be able to get a seat. There is a “new town” that is a 15 minute walk which has about 10 restaurants, coffee shops, and ice cream shops. There is also a beach here with loungers (probably at a cost). This hotel has it’s own private rocky cliff area with loungers but it’s not as good as the President Hotel’s beach next door.

BED/SHEETS/PILLOW: Bed was a little on the hard side, but fine. Pillows were soft and linens were better than average.

LIGHTING: Excellent in both the bedroom and bathroom.

BATHROOM/SHOWER: Shower had good water pressure and consistent temperature. It could be very hot if desired. The bathtub is huge and very deep. Way better than a typical bathtub (no jets). Large size bathroom and very clean and new. Could have improved on the style. Heated towel rack is a nice touch, only problem is that there is no outlet for the plug so it’s useless.

TOILETRIES: Better than average, but I preferred to use my own.

CLEANLINESS: Extremely clean bedroom and bathroom.

A/C: Kept room cold and was very quiet. Doesn’t blow air on your face when sleeping.

CLOSET SPACE: Tons of space for 2 people.

STYLE OF ROOM: Nice and comfortable, but didn’t like the blue carpet. Furnishings were nice.

QUIET/LIGHT: Room was very quiet and we were on the bottom floor. Bedroom and bathroom has excellent lighting.

FOOD: Only ate breakfast here which was fine. Good selection of meats, cereals, and juices. Restaurant atmosphere and menu was unappealing and we didn’t even venture going there. There is a good (not great) restaurant a 2 minute walk from this hotel named Lavant that is on the way to the new town.

TV/INTERNET: Flat screen is excellent and large, but a little far from the bed. Satellite with tons of stations, about 3 in English (like nearly all hotels in Croatia) Internet is wired only in the room and wireless in common areas at no charge. Very fast connection. 2 computers available in lobby for use at no charge.

SERVICE: Mixed. Front desk staff was extremely helpful. One woman that works the front desk was a tour guide to Mostar and Montenegro so definitely speak to her if you are planning a visit there. Room Service menu says 24 hours but they close at 10PM. Outside of the exception service at the front desk, the rest was standard Croatian service.

COMMON AREA: Not a “wow” but fine. This hotel feels more like a business hotel than one to go to on a vacation. Everything seems new and is nice. The lobby was packed every night with people, probably since it is shared with 3 different hotels (all owned by the same hotel group). Pool was roped off (kind of off season). Great view from breakfast eating area.

TIPS: Higher level floors have better ocean views. Bottom level floor sea views are minimal since it’s blocked by the restaurant roof. If you are looking for a 4 Seasons experience, look into their Villa Elita property…. It’s stunning, you may have to rent the whole villa as opposed to just one room, not sure. We also stayed at the next door at the President (see my review there). If I was coming here on business I would stay here if for pleasure I would stay at the more resort feeling hotel, the Dubrovnik President. If I had unlimited wealth, I would stay at the Villa Elita, look into the Rixos Hotel. Bottom line, either place should be fine."

• Travel date: Fri 12th of October 2007

Just what we needed!

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"The staff were all incredibly helpful and friendly, even allowing us to stay in our room for an extra couple of hours earlier today, at no extra cost.

On the first evening, we were too tired to go into Dubrovnik, so stayed in the main hotel bar, near the pools - we had pizza and beer, which were of an excellent standard, and of a similar price to anywhere in the Old Town.

The swimming poosl were cleaned out every night (drained, scrubbed and re-filled), and is a salt water pool rather than chlorine. There was also someone who came and tested the pool during the day. The only downside, I stubbed my toe on a rock near the steps from the sea, which is still a bit bruised! My husband loved being able to dive into the sea, a blue flag one at that, and swim around. The sea area is cordoned off, and there is no current. There are steps from the sea, which is approx 5 metres deep. The swimming pool has a deep end of 2.15m, which was ideal for me! (I hate deep water!) The resort supplies towels for everyone to use by the pool.

Given we were there the first week of October, and it was low season, we had amazing weather (in the 70's), no problem getting a lounger in the pool area - in fact, in the end it was so quiet we could head towards the Old Town, and either swim before or afterwards without it being overcrowded, plus the hotel is close enough to other eateries, just a walk down the coastal path approx 15 minutes.

The Old Town was a 15 minute bus ride - get a bus ticket from reception - you'll save money! Bus no 6 runs regularly.

Our room was large, and clean. The balcony was only on the first floor, so views were limited, but it wasn't a problem. The rooms were also quiet, which considering you're all so closely packed together, was great.

Food-wise, the hot buffet breakfast was just that - with the odd choice of vegetables, as previously mentioned (I did try some broccoli one morning, it was pretty good too), though I did find the egg a little lukewarm on one morning. We were able to get seats right on the balcony, where you could watch the boats going by.

I have absolutely no complaints about the hotel - it served it's purpose, which was somewhere to get a bit of a tan, and be close enough to the Old Town to get the touristy stuff in, at a reasonable price. I would definitely go back here again."

• Travel date: Sat 6th of October 2007

what a disappointment!

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"I have used Tripadvisor for some years to assist with accommodation bookings for both long and short haul travel and have finally been caught out.

On the plus side the rooms at the Ariston are clean and have been refurbished. However the pool is dirty, the restaurants look as if they've been in a time warp since the 1960's. The beers/ coffees/wine.. are about 30% more expensive than the Meridien Split and the Hilton Dubrovnik - both 5* hotels. The rate included breakfast and unless I experienced an usually bad morning?? the hot breakfast was luke warm, the cheese / ham was curled up and flies had attacked the bread far before we arrived.

This hotel is one of the biggest letdowns I've experienced and I'm at a loss to see some of the really good reviews!!!

One recommendation is to visit restaurant Levenat just 50yards away - beautiful venue and the food is lovely."

• Travel date: Mon 1st of October 2007

Not quite a 4* hotel yet

Reviewed Sat 17th of November 2012

"Me and my wife stayed an the Ariston Hotel for 5 days in August 2007. The hotel is part of one complex consisting of 3 hotels (Neptun, Ariston, Suites). I must say beforehand that we booked it expecting the class of the mainstream 4* european hotels. We left with a bit of disspointment.

The good news: Professional service and well spoken English. The room was new, modern and spacious. The sea view made for great afternoons on the balcony.

The bad news: the dining area and the food. Either it is going to be their next renovation project or management is trying to juggle between a 3* (as I think the Neptun hotel is) and a 4* experience and cost. Either way, the food quality was just plain or plain bad. The basic choices were there but lacking in taste and presentation. What was also a bit "melancholic", was the sub-par quality of tables/chairs and linens that gave you a sense of "communist era" neglect. Not the feeling you want in your vacations.

Other info: The hotel has a rocky beach that is very tastefully supplemented with cement to smooth the path ways and sitting. areas. In order to swim, you either dive in or go down a ladder. It did not bother me.

Overall: I Would go again if the price was far cheaper or if the rest of the areas were renovated."

• Travel date: Wed 26th of September 2007

Louzy service!

Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"We had a very bad time in Ariston Hotel because of the rude staff. We had problems with the television, but nobody fixed it during our stay although our complains about. Good bedroom and bathroom, clean linen also - but this is not enough for a 4 stars hotel! Breakfast is fair but loud music and (again) bad service makes the experience unpleasant. Pretty far from the old city, the sea view doesn´t worth the distance."

• Travel date: Sun 16th of September 2007

A perfect breakway!

Reviewed Mon 17th of December 2012

"This hotel comprises of three seperate hotels - Neptune Hotel, Importanne Suites and the Ariston Hotel. I stayed in the last of these hotels and would like to concur with all the other positive reviews listed on this site. Without going over the same points that everyone else raised, I'll quickly list my feelings:

1. The location of the hotel could be viewed from two viewpoints. It is a 15min bus ride from Old Town and is pretty much in its own enclosed resort. Because we were staying a week in Dubrovnik, we found this to be ideal - close enough to the Old Town for drinks and food in the evening - far enough so that you have the comfort of the pool/sea, no mad crowds etc.. I probably would have prefered something slightly closer to the town (ideally within walking distance) but I reckon it would take approx 1hr or so to do that.

2. The refurb'd rooms of the Ariston are perfectly fine - very clean, tastefully decorated, flatscreen tv (with channels representing all languages - CNN/BBC World for English) minibar, air con, safe, very large bathroom.

3. The hotel facilities are all shared amongst the three hotels as far as I could see. There are two pools (one paddle pool for kids) which were never overly crowded with a lifeguard who dispensed towels/loungers. One of the best parts of the hotel for me was the rocky jumps into the sea with ladders to get out at a number of spots. Highly recommended.

3. Breakfast is as listed elsewhere on the site and I found it quite average.

4. The bars of the hotel are average too. There is one in the reception area which has a wonderful terrace off it looking across the Adriatic Sea. Apart from that you are in essence sitting in the reception area. The barman here more than makes up for the lack of ambience as he is a pleasure to speak with.

There is another bar called the Cocktail Bar which looks just across the pools/sea. If you were staying in the hotel for a full night out, then this is where you would go after dinner. I found it fine as we paid this a visit on the first night. It seems to be very quiet as everyone seems to head into town for their nights out.

The food in the restaurants is perfectly adequate but wouldnt set the world alight.

To sum up, I found this hotel to be just perfect for what I required (a relaxing break catching some sun and sea) and a fine base to hit into town from. I would not give the hotel 5 out of 5 as I feel there are little things that are just not superb (food/bars/location maybe!) but the one over arching positive of the whole hotel (as mentioned elsewhere) is the staff. I found them to be genuinely determined to help you to enjoy your stay. They truly were a pleasure to deal with."

• Travel date: Mon 20th of August 2007

Very very good

Reviewed Tue 6th of November 2012

"After having a problem at our original hotel we decided to look for an alternative . This was limited as many of the hotels in Dubrovnik were full .
We had stayed at the Imperial Hilton before and had enjoyed the experience but thought that would be difficult to match .
Then we found the Ariston .
Great location , superb staff, large rooms , great views and just a very good experience indeed.
Please dont go here as we do not want to find that the next time we book that it is full.
There are 2 hotels with a common check in so dont go to the Neptun 3 star as the Ariston is 4 star and that is justified.
The hotel is out of the centre but there are buses every 10/15 minutes just a short walk up from the hotel .
I just cannot be negative about our stay , just loved the place."

• Travel date: Thu 16th of August 2007

Loved the Ariston

Reviewed Sat 17th of November 2012

"Stayed 4 nights at the Ariston (Importanne Resort) in June. We thought it was great. The room was big, clean, and had a wonderful sea view. The balcony had 2 nice chairs, a table and a lounge chair.

The room had a nice Samsung flat panel LCD TV, CD player, safe, thick curtains to keep out the sun.

The new landscaping was very nice and it was a short walk from the room down to the breakfast room and the pool/ocean. Breakfast was very good...a nice mix of continental and hot foods like scrambled eggs and bacon.

The pool was great (no problem getting chairs or umbrellas although they seemed to run out of towels all the time)) and the Adriatic is so clean and refreshing. Plenty of places to jump in with nice ladders to use to get out of the sea.

The staff (especially the blonde girl at reception, name starts with an "M") were extremely friendly and helpful.

I thought the location was great. Nice and quiet! A nice stroll down a seaside path takes you to the Lapad Bay area with plenty of action, and a hot 20 minute bus ride takes you to the old town. I found the old town to be pretty crowded, noisy and hot (although very beautiful), so it was nice to jump on the bus and cool off at the Ariston.

I would certainly stay here again in a heartbeat as the Ariston has the best combination of location, cleanliness, view, amenities and value."

• Travel date: Mon 2nd of July 2007

Great Sea View

Reviewed Mon 17th of December 2012

"Excellent and large rooms, with an overwhelming sea view. The hotel was clean and so was the pool.
Hotel facilities as restaurant and bar are a litle bit old, but still OK and clean.
Service is rather good, and hotel staff very nice, allways with a smile on the face.
Old city is a bit far away, but bus services are very often, and just outside hotel entrance.
The hotel building is brand new, fresh paint odour was still on the air, but it was a 5 star room, rated as 4 star."

• Travel date: Sat 2nd of June 2007

Hotels near Ariston Hotel

Stayed at Ariston Hotel? Share your insight.

Ariston Hotel is also called