Wonderful Place /People

Reviewed Tue 25th of August 2009

"My wife and I have just spent two weeks at this hotel and it was one of the best holidays we have had. The hotel staff from the housemaids to the head chief were very friendly and helpful. The reception staff was great with lots of information and help about what to do and see in the area.The waiters in the restaraunt were helpful and happy and if you needed anything they would do there upmost to help you.
We have no small children but entertainment was there for young and ol, including a disco (lolly and pop) from 2030 till 2100 it was good to see the kids so happy.
A local bus calls at the hotel every day except Sunday for Dubrovnik at 0915 and returns at 1500. Boats operate from outside the rear of the hotel for trips to the islands in a regular patern.
A fantastis two weeks with friendly people with big hearts. "

• Travel date: Tue 25th of August 2009

very good hotel staff very friendly roo...

Reviewed Sun 27th of January 2008

"very good hotel staff very friendly rooms good size and all with a sea veiw loverly marina with lots of restarunt and bars "

• Travel date: Sun 27th of January 2008

not great and not family friendly

Reviewed Tue 11th of December 2012

"Myself, my wife and my daughter stayed here for two weeks at the beginning of September and have to say we were really disapointed.

Before I begin I have to say that the pool and restaurant staff work really hard and do their best for you. I also cannot fault the maid who really did everything she could to clean the room around us, doing bits when we were out of the way and coming back if we were in the room.

The pools were freezing, entertainment poor and the atmosphere is more like a prison than a hotel. Smoking is allowed in every part of the hotel and with no entertainment (if you can call it that) outside, you have little choice to either let your kids sit in a smokey environment or sit in your room! They do not even play music outside at night and so families really have little choice. We did ask at reception whether there was a possibility to put something on outside and they said no and asked us what was wrong with sitting in our room?!!

They turned the air con off, saying that they only guranteed it during july and august, even though on some days the temp outside reached 29/30.

The kids club was dirty and the toys were old and filthy. It was a real shame because the setting for the hotel was fantastic, right on the beach and only a 15 minute walk into cavtat itself.

I can see why older people may have liked it but we went there because Iberostar boasted the the hotel was family friendly (they even refused to serve childs portions at lunch), we were bitterly disapointed.

Dont let this review put you off Cavtat itself, because the town and harbour with its restaurants, bars and amazing yachts are definately a sight to behold."

• Travel date: Sun 16th of September 2007

I have just returned after 6 nights at t...

Reviewed Fri 7th of September 2007

"I have just returned after 6 nights at the Albatros Hotel in Cavtat with my 9 year old son. I booked the hotel by the Iberostar website and the flights from Manchester with Thomsonfly.

I chose Cavtat as our arrival into Dubrovnik Airport was fairly late and Cavtat is very near the airport - about 5 km away. The taxi cost 150 Kuna on the outward journey which was rather steep given the distance involved.

On the return the hotel booked a taxi which they guaranteed would cost 100 Kuna. The hotel would have also booked me a taxi for the outward journey - you just need to supply your flight number when booking and if I go there again this is what I will do.

On arrival the receptionist knew exactly who I was before I had chance to open my mouth and remembered my e-mail query about the evening meal on the first night - my late arrival meant that I would have to have a cold meal, which I did not want.

The Albatros only offers half board terms and could not provide a lunch in lieu as the restaurant does not open at midday. Instead they said I could have a packed lunch on another day which I was satisfied with.

The reception staff are very helpful and well informed. It is also good to see local bus timetables and weather forecasts prominently displayed in the reception area.

The hotel is large with good sized outdoor swimming pool and paddling pool. Sunbeds in a shaded area round the pool are welcome. There is also a reasonable size indoor pool which is not open in the summer months but would provide a good facility when it becomes too cool to swim outside.

The beach towel system is good - you leave a returnable deposit of £10 or 100 Kuna per towel with reception and get a towel card which you exchange for a clean towel at the pool whenever you require one. At the end of the stay, you return the card to reception.

Our room, A330, was quiet and of a reasonable size with balcony overlooking the pool and outdoor entertainment area, (much appreciated by my son), as well as the sea. We found the room comfortable and very clean. Welcome features included air conditioning, a fridge, and a safe.

The buffet service for breakfast and dinner operated well although queues sometimes developed for omelettes and pancakes at breakfast - the person making them at times was run off her feet! More vegetarian choice would be appreciated although it was welcome to see soya spaghetti bolognaise one night and to be fair there was always one vegetarian dish.

Star Friends, the small entertainment team, worked hard. Their linguistic abilities are particularly impressive - English, French, German, Spanish, and Russian - the hotel caters for many different nationalities.

The hotel is across a very minor road from a pebble beach. Boat services operate to Dubrovnik from the beach as well as trips to off shore islands. Unfortunately we had to abandon a fish picnic trip to the Elafiti Islands at Koloceps after my son was seasick 4 times after a rather rough sail - it would have been unfair to him and to other passengers to carry on so we returned on the Jadrolinija ferry to Dubrovnik then bus back to Cavtat, (both cheap).

Cavtat town centre is about 15 minutes walk away along a shady narrow one way road, (no pavement), with a good ice cream shop on the way, (5 Kuna - about 50p - for an ice cream). The town is very pretty with pleasant walks, an interesting harbour area, (complete with expensive yachts and cruisers), bus station, restaurants and cafes and a small supermarket. The location is very scenic with mountains behind.

The bus service to Dubrovnik, 12 Kuna single, is cheap and efficient and runs once or twice an hour. My only complaint is that there is no bus between 8 am and 9 am - one at 8.30 am would have been useful - also in Dubrovnik it terminated at the old, largely abandoned bus station, (now a bus park), rather than going a little further onto the main ferry terminal at Gruz and the new bus station just beyond which would have made day trips further afield easier.

Dubrovnik itself is wonderful and has an efficient city bus service, (8 Kuna a ticket if you purchase it in a kiosk, 10 Kuna if you buy from the driver). I also used the bus to go south from Cavtat, to Molunat - a very scenic journey - but the service is not very frequent.

I would have liked to visit Kotor in Montenegro but unfortunately the bus from Dubrovnik does not stop on the main road above Cavtat so it would have meant going backwards to Dubrovnik first and I was not prepared to subject my son, (not a great bus passenger), to this.

Overall I would recommend both the Albatros Hotel and Cavtat and would be happy to return."

• Travel date: Fri 7th of September 2007

A pleasant surprise

Reviewed Mon 19th of November 2012

"Having read some of the reviews we went to the Albatros with mixed feelings. Yes the hotel was a bit larger & more touristy than we were used to & it needed freshening up in places, it was nevertheless, clean, had a lovely pool area & the views from our room where breath taking.
Breakfast was lovely - plenty of choice, even if it did include sprouts one day. We'd booked half board for the week & ate dinner 3 times - it was OK with again plenty of choice. There are however plenty of reasonably priced restuarants nearby & in Cavtat centre - I'd recommend the Italian restarant on the walk into Cavtat - big enough Pizza to share, a greek salad, beer & glass of wine for under £10.
Cavtat centre is beautiful - the yachts amazing. Watching the water polo was entertaining.
Lovely walk around the peninsulars. Snorkelling was good off the rocks.
Easy trip into Dubrovnik - did it twice once in on the bus which wasnt much quicker than the ferry - a nice view of Dubrovnik & you could see where the fires had caused damage.
The entertainment team at the hotel tried very hard & we didnt find them pushy - a polite no was all it needed.
many different nationalities at the hotel which is nice - you do have to get up early to get a sunbed though.
All in all a very nice stay - Cavtat is lovely & we'd certainly recommend it & the hotel."

• Travel date: Tue 21st of August 2007

wonderful holiday in Cavtat

Reviewed Mon 3rd of December 2012

"Iberostar Albatros is built on a really beautiful spot of the Bay of Tiha in Cavtat.
The level of services and variety of food (we were on HB) was outstanding. We booked two rooms, both with sea view.
We got them really - the only problem was, the rooms were far away from each other. But we do really love walking - so it was not a real problem. We had one room in building A (303) with view to the tennis fields, the sea and Dubrovnik. And had the other in building B (442) with view of the swimming pool and the sea. Both of our rooms were outstandingly silent (as no other floors were above us...) and beautiful, I think they were updated recently. The rooms had balcon , fridge, aircon and hairdrier as well. The room in builiding B had an especially large terrace, we spent almost every evening sitting there drinking some wine, chatting to each other and admiring the sea and the animation program down at the pool and the restaurant.
One really downside was the lack of a little shop. The hotel has a shop inside, but it does not sell refreshing drinks, mineral water etc. As we were not on all incl. basis, we had to buy our drinks in the town, a really long walk until the hotel.
Cavtat itself is an amazing little town. We rented a car and made excursions to Trsteno (botanic garden), Dubrovnik, Mlini, Srebreno and Montenegro. All of our excursions were great! We were in Dubrovnik 3 times during our one week stay. One time we went by car (it was horrible to find a free place), second time by bus (which stops at the door of the hotel), third time by boat (that stars from the waterfront of the hotel).
Summarising: we were not disappointed with Iberostar chain!"

• Travel date: Sun 12th of August 2007

Fantastic Hotel

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"I find the previous two reviews somewhat peculiar given my exeperience staying there last week
Having stayed in many hotels in europe I can honestly say The Albatros is one of the best I have visited
The location is superb and the views from the pool area and restaurant terrace are fantastic
The rooms are very good and quite spacious
The restaurant has many choices for breakfast and evening meal
One slightly irritating thing being the staffs insistence on starting to clear up at 930 am despite the fact the breakfast is served until 10
We were often having to hunt for cutlery and crockery!
I was pleasantly surprised with the entertainment in the evening
The entertainment team were very friendly and cheerful and the shows put on were better than I had expected
I never found them overbearing at all
Occasionally they would ask if you were interested in joining in with something but a no thank you was fine
They were a credit to the hotel
I did notice a slight noise overnight from the air conditoning plant at the back of the hotel but closing the window onto the balcony overnight and using the air con to keep cool eliminated that completely
Cavtat is a beautiful place and all in all I would thoroughly recommend the hotel and the place itself"

• Travel date: Tue 3rd of July 2007

Albatross Hotel

Reviewed Tue 11th of December 2012

"We've just returned from 2 weeks at this hotel. Although the holiday was great, the scenery fantastic and the hotel probably one of the best in Cavtat, it rankles that we had to pay 4 star prices for what, in my opinion, should be a 3 star hotel. First impressions are a c 20ft high concrete wall daubed with graffiti opposite a totally unremarkable entrance to a dull reception area. The corridors to the rooms are dark and dismal and there are no light switches available to improve them. The noise when anybody in a nearby room has a shower or flushes the toilet are similar to the sounds of the planes arriving or leaving the nearby airport - No! Actually the showers and toilets are noisier. There were not enough chairs round the (superb) pool, there were not enough tables on the (superb) restaurant terrace (with a lovely view of the bay and sunset), there was not enough chocolate ice cream, there were not enough staff to cope with the all of the diners (those that were there worked their socks off and were lovely).
The entertainers were 'in your face'. They joined you for meals, they came round every evening and personally invited you to the evening entertainment. They came round to pressure you into dancing or participating in whatever was going on. This will appeal to some. It caused us to avoid the hotel entertainment.
All in all. I would recommend it if it were 3 star prices but it is difficult to do so at 4 star prices."

• Travel date: Mon 18th of June 2007

Needs some updating!

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"We stayed here in mid May 2007. The Hotel Albatros is nominally a 4 star hotel but I think that is more like a 3 star hotel. The furnishings are all a bit dated and the communal areas inside are very dark and miserable! Our room was not very large with a partial seaview, not really the’ superior room’ we had booked. Bathroom had been updated but it was impossible to take a shower without flooding the floor, the screens let water however careful you are Also be warned do not take a room on the B block side, the noise of the air conditioning plant is worse than the airport run way.
The pool is fine, but really needs new cushions for the sun beds; those you can find are very old, dirty and even have holes in them. Also the umbrellas and shades are in a poor state of repair. There is a system of 100kuna deposit for a pool towel.
The animation team work very hard to entertain guests and are very friendly; many of them speak several languages to a high standard. However after a few nights the evening show is a bit of a repetition!
The buffet is much the same as in any hotel of this nature, it does not seem to run out but does tend to be similar each night. The one failing with the restaurant is the lack of cutlery, we always seemed to be on the hunt for an extras knife or spoon! The restaurant is quite crowded not really the place for a restful evening dinner.
It is a very pleasant walk into Cavtat where there are many cafes and restaurants etc, also plenty of boat trips are available locally."

• Travel date: Thu 31st of May 2007

loved everything

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"WE stayed in croatia for our very first trip abroad and we loved every minute of it and will go again. The hotel was fantastic have no faults atall. Highly recomened to everyone.

Tina and Dave"

• Travel date: Mon 28th of May 2007

This was our third trip to the area and...

Reviewed Sun 25th of March 2007

"This was our third trip to the area and second visit to Hotel Croatia. We had been the previous year on a full board basis but having not been that impressed with the food we opted for bed and breakfast in 2006.

The breakfast area was much better this time- more intimate, allowing you to sit where you want (unlike the main restaurant where you are assigned a group table) and the quality of the food was better, we also ate in the taverna restaurant which was very nice.

The hotel itself is lovely, the rooms are good but not fantastic (as you would expect from a 5 star) we paid for a sea view room which is worth the extra. The weather was fantastic during our stay and the bathing area had been improved. The pool is not the biggest and does get busy but there are bathing platforms on both sides of the hotel.

Cavtat its self is fairly quiet with good food and views of the harbour, Dubrovnik is easy to reach by boat or bus which are both easily caught in Cavtat (make sure you pick up the current Croatia guide book from reception as this shows all the bus routes!)

Don't be afraid to try out the excursions on your own, we had paid for a whole day island cruise the previous year and found the best beach was left until last and you only had an hour there, this time we caught an early boat to Dubrovnik and then got another to the island - spent all day there and it cost less! I would recommend Croatia to anyone, it is beautiful, full of history and you can do as much or as little as you like. We will be returning soon!

• Travel date: Sun 25th of March 2007

Loved the rugged coastline and the town

Reviewed Mon 3rd of December 2012

"The warm weather was with us and except for one rainy day we were able to swim in the sea across from the hotel.
The food was varied and delicious. Long line-ups for the soup , but there was always enough and we could visit and gossip as we stood in line. Seafood of all sorts, beef, chicken, vegetarian. Great breakfasts.
The hotel had 2 pools, one indoor. The staff offered water exercises in the morning and in the evening there were games and fun.
We loved strolling into the town for a coffee at a seaside cafe; perhaps picking up a little something for lunch to eat on the balcony."

• Travel date: Wed 8th of November 2006

Hotels near Remisens Hotel Albatros

Top traveller tips for Remisens Hotel Albatros

• Mentor1 by Mentor1

"Peble beach but not a problem, afantastic break all round "

• Mentor1 by Mentor1

"In Cavtat there are plenty to choose from and all offering sea food as well as local menus "

Remisens Hotel Albatros is also called