Bluesun Hotel Elaphusa

Put Zlatnog Rata 46, Bol, Brac Island 21420 Croatia

location, location, location

Good

"We have just returned from two weeks at the Elaphusa in Bol, (be prepared for a long transfer to the hotel as it is on an island you must take a coach then boat then another coach). The town of Bol is beautiful, and the Elaphusa is situated 15 min walk into the centre, or 10 mins to the Zlanti-Rat. While staying at the Elaphusa it is worth taking day trips to Dubrovnik and Hvar.

Negative points about the Elaphusa
Loads of steps, no ramps (this was a major issue for us as we have a baby in a pram).
The rooms are very small, and sometimes noisy
All the beaches are pebble...no sand anywhere.

Positive points about the Elaphusa
All new, refited in 2007
Location
Good food
Friendly staff
Clean
nice pools

Although the hotel does have some negative points, I would stay at the Elaphusa again, as we had an enjoyable stay."

• Travel date: Sun 20th of July 2008

Stunning Views

"After a catamaran ride then a long bus journey, we eventually arrived at the Elaphusa, tired and hungry. A cold super had been laid out which was most welcome. We woke the following morning to tview of the pine trees stretching down to the sea. The rooms are roomy and modern and the air con is quiet too. Breakfast was varied and there were even freshly made pancakes. The hotel is pristine and every area is constantly being checked. The pool area is really lovely but we did find people were nabbing the sunbeds and there didnt seem enough to go around some days. Help was at hand as the indoor pool in the wellness centre had spares and we used them instead. Towels provided in both pool areas were most welcome. The evening buffet was varied and very fresh and tasty. Would definately recommend this hotel for a relaxing break although it is too far away to do much sighseeing. The catamaran to Split from Bol goes just once a day at 6.30am and returns at 4pm. It was a bit too early for us. The land train between Bol and the Elaphusa is excellent going every 15 mins and costs about £1."

• Travel date: Mon 21st of July 2008

Loved the Elaphusa

Good

"The Elaphusa is a lovely hotel, very clean and visually impressive. Food was buffet-style, well cooked and presented and plenty of it.

Maid comes in every day and towels and bed are changed regularly. We had a couple of maintenance problems with the bathroom and these were attended to extremely promptly. No waiting in for a plumber there!! The staff were all very friendly, helpful and courteous.

Our only "complaint", if you can call it that, was the lack of entertainment in the evenings. There was a young couple who were the "entertainment team" who were lovely but they really struggled to get anyone interested in bingo, line dancing or quizzes!! We were there the first two weeks of June, so perhaps a little early in the season?"

• Travel date: Thu 10th of July 2008

Very impressed...

Good

"I travelled with Thomas Cook to the above hotel in Sept 2007, and I was very impressed. When the coach pulled up I thought 'Ok, it looks like it's alright'. But as soon as I saw the huge reception with marble floor my opinion changed! The receptionists were lovely, and always smiling. The room was spotless, and cleaned every day without fail, mini bar re-stocked every day.

The facilities were fantastic... theoutdoor pool was fresszing, but it was nice if you'd been sunning yourself all day. The Wellness Centre was great, they treat you very well. I recommend the full body massage. You then get to use all the sauna's and steam rooms. They even have a bowling alley!

Only slight grumble would be the restaurant. If it was a la carte instead of buffet then I'd be chuffed. Only a slight niggle.

The island is gorgeous, but only go if you want to relax. I would recommend the trip to Krka Waterfalls... gorgeous."

• Travel date: Wed 6th of February 2008

disappointed

"I had an accident soon after I'd arrived in the hotel: I slipped on the wet floor while I was looking for my room. The cleaner has just cleaned the floor but there wasn't any warning sign!
I've injured my both knees and asked for some ice to put on my left knee (which was injured more than the right one).
When I finally got into the room (the lift wasn't working, btw.) with a help from a luggage guy, I found someone's T-shirt on the bed. I gave it to the luggage guy and he said he'd take it to reception.
As I was walking around with a towel around my knee, people asked me what's happened. I didn't get any appology from the hotel management staff or reception. The only hotel staaf who showed simpathy were guys from the bar (who gave me ice) and the luggage guy.
I had some meetings n the hotel that day, and when I went to bed in the evening, I had another surprise! I've found someone's pants under the pillow!
I checked the sheets immediately (and under the bed-in case someone was in the room!) and they looked clean.
Of course, all my colleagues were teasing me when I told them what I found in the room, but I didn't find it that funny. Those things shouldn't happen in a hotel which puts 4 stars after its name! Very unproffesional behaviour.
I filled up the whole page in the hotel book of complaints. Hope someone will read it.
I've told the cleaner (I met her when she came to clean the room next morning) what I've found and she said that the reception hadn't told her to get that room ready. She said that the sheets were clean and I decided to believe her (although my colleagues teased me again and offered antibiotics in case I needed them)...

After all these unpleasant things which happened to me in the hotel Elaphusa, I must say that there are still some good things that can be said:
the food is really good and the location of the hotel is nice.
I wasn't happy when I had to go to that hotel again (as the company I work for organized some business education there) but I would never go there privately or by my choice.

Regards, and happy travelling!"

• Travel date: Fri 9th of November 2007

Elaphusa - what a wonderful hotel

"We spent the second week of our hols at the Elaphusa and didn't really know what to expect - fear of redolent Iron Curtain influence was uppermost in my mind, I must admit. The arrival was a bit low key - it was Saturday lunchtime and they were absolutely jammed with arriving and departing guest in the lobby. However, we were dealt with efficiently and even though it was before check in time, our room was ready which was a huge relief after a week on a boat and a desperate need for a shower!

The hotel has been newly refurbished and they've done a lovely job. It's cool inside and nicely laid out. The superior room we were in was perfectly adequate for us 2 and our little boy who slept on a very comfortable sofa bed. The bathroom was nicely decorated but the shower was a bit nightmarish being halfway along the bath and difficult to keep the spray in the bath.....saying that it was powerful and there was plentiful hot water. There was a TV and a minibar and the room was nicely freshly decorated.

The pool is fab - I'm 5'4 and I could stand up all the way around (on tip toes at the deepest part) and ther is a decent shallower bit for the younger ones to be able to play in. There is an integral jacuzzi which ran intermittently. The water is described as a Thalasso pool - dilute salt water - and when we got home we realised just how smooth it had made our skins! There are adequate sunbeds - although people still reserve them despite being asked not to - and there is a pool bar which is great for hot and cold drinks.

There is a nightclub on the premises but can't comment as we didn't go - the listing for the week looked quite good though......

Our son attended the mini club which was good fun - 1 and a half hours in the morning and the late afternoon - and he went to the half hour mini disco every night - all of which were free.

Food was served for breakfast and evening meal (there is curiously no lunchtime provision - no snacks/crisps anything!) and was a buffet arrangement. I must admit my heart sank a bit because I'm not a huge fan of the same food over and over again, but this didn't really happen and the quality and freshness were excellent. Once I got over how much sheer volume of food the other guests were shovelling onto their plates I found the food served delicious and varied - the salads were fantastic and the meat and veg were always freshly cooked and appetising.

The hotel is situated right on the path that takes you to the town of Bol in one direction (about 10-15mins stroll) and the 'beach' at Zlatni Rat in t'other (same distance). There are a couple of eateries en route which we enjoyed a couple of times and a good many restaurants in Bol - we especially liked Topolino which served great salad and wonderful freshly cooked wood oven pizzas.

We really loved it, and I'm already planning to go back next year for a week. That says quite a lot for me, because I am not a fan of endless buffet food and I rarely go back to the same place twice. But Elaphusa had it all for us and we want to get another visit in. Really highly recommended."

• Travel date: Wed 5th of September 2007

beautiful location

"have just returned from this hotel, we had a good time although these were a few things that were not to our taste.

LOCATION. I think this is one of the best things about this hotel. It is situated roughly half way between bol town and the beach at zlatni rat. It is in a slightly raised position and looks out over the island of Hvar. It is a fantastic location. A paved promende runs between the village and beach so is traffic free. There is also a petit train which runs form the town to the beach and stops at the hotels. The sea is very clear here, but there is no sand only small pebbles. Some brochures do suggest that it is a sandy beach but it is definately not.

HOTEL. This was new and well finished, but very noisy. For some reason the corridors have marble floors which are lethal when they are washed!!! and are incredibly noisy when people clump up and down at night. This was a problem as it did disturb you. Also the hotel played loud music until 11.00pm at night by the pool I think this is quite late (our son is only 2.5, and it disturbed him). not many people seemed to be sat outside listening and i think this puts more people off than actually enjoy this kind of entertainment. I fould myself wishing that I had not booked a seaview room eventhough the views were stunning.

FOOD Not sure about the restaurant which was like a large works canteen!! Breakfast was average, but the evening meal were generally good with plently of choice and food cooked regularly and topped up regularly.

BOL This is a very pretty fishing port. the monastery is worth walking down to as it has a lovely garden. We did not go in the evening but I think it would be pretty all lit up.

We had a good holiday despite the evenings being a bit noisy. would go back to Bol but am not sure about the hotel it is very big and slightly soulless, but saying that you could always get a sun bed by the pool despite what time of day you arrived."

• Travel date: Mon 3rd of September 2007

BEST hotel we have ever stayed in

"Me and my girlfrind just came back from 7 days at the Elaphusa. We have travelled a lot, but this was overvelding. The hotel has the best location in that area. Both beach, promenad and village. The web pages of this hotel shuld be updated when it is much greater in real life. Great brakfast, great dinner, superb pool area.
Rooms was fine with a good airconditioner. The staff was always helpful and smiley. One night we didnt finished our white vine, thy corked it, put it in the refridgerator and gave it to us the next day. The hotel have an outdoor bar area wich is great, there are 3 bach bar/ restaurants within 1 minutes walking distanse. It is perfect with children and couples, and fine for singles. The wellnes snter was lovely, 3 day we took massage and finished up at the gym. I belive Elaphus strives to get their 5. star. The best thing about this hotel is that its all new! evereting is clean and nice - luxury all th way...."

• Travel date: Sun 22nd of July 2007

Relaxing haven in a beautiful location

"We were really pleased we chose Bol on Brac. There are basically only 3 hotels on that stretch of the island and this seclusion leaves delightful, pretty Bol with its village atmosphere, a five-minute stroll down from the famous Zlatni Rat beach. The hotels are located behind the pine trees which makes the whole area feel really unspoilt. It is much quieter than Hvar - certainly in September, there is not a lot of nightlife, but this suited us well, as there are still restaurants and bars open in Bol village centre, all located on the seafront. There are about 2 boats a day to Split, and some tourist boats to Hvar. We were on the isalnd for 8 nights and never left it - we visited Split and Dubrovnikl on other occasions during our stay in Croatia.

We loved the hotel. It was only just being completed that season (so the indoor swimming pool, bowling alleys etc were not finished) so we got lower rates. At these rates it was incredible value, and at the standard rates I would say it looks set to be good value again. The food was simply amazing - a buffet dinner, but freshly cooked before your eyes, and constantly topped up, and the range was VERY large. Breakfast was a similar affair, with food for all tastes - English breakfasts, continental breakfasts, cereals and fruit, toast, fresh bread etc etc, all of a really high quality. The pool was lovely and looked onto the mountains behind the hotel - you can climb the highest peak (we did so - about 3 hrs up 2 down - to get a view over Hvar and a bird's eye view of Zlatni Rat. There is a bar at the top, a bit hard to find, a 10-minute further walk following red arrows sprayed on the ground). You can also cycle up, or get a taxi to/from the bar!

The rooms were nice with bath and shower - most with balcony and either sea or mountain view. The hotel is ideally situated for the beaches, and a short walk will take you to more secluded and rugged coastline. We had never been to a hotel of this luxury/quality before, so we were obviously impressed by it all. But having seen the other two top-end hotels in Bol, I think Grand Hotel Elaphusa matched more closely our ideas of a luxury hotel (rather than, say, the more 'all-inclusive village'-style of the next hotel along)."

• Travel date: Fri 6th of April 2007

Nice Hotel

"The hotel is modern and clean, with good facilities, nice food and well located for both the beach (Zlatni Rat) and the town centre.

The food (breafast and dinner buffet) is pretty much standard fare for this region, plenty of choice and variety from day to day. The dining area is very large, but they have enough capacity that there queues are rarely longer than two or three people.

There are two pools (indoor and outdoor), with plenty of sun loungers and an outside bar. Both pools are filled with salt water, and there is a hot tub next to the indoor pool if you just want to relax.

The free gym has plenty of equipment (but closes before dinner) and there is also a bowling alley (additional cost), table tennis (free) and tennis courts (didn't use, but I imagine you have to pay). There is also a spa, but that will be one for the women to review.

The hotel is a hundred yards from the coast, and the beach is a short walk (five minutes) away, with the old town about 10 minutes in the other direction. The town is pretty small, so you may need to plan a few other activities (boat trips to other islands or Split, climbing Vidova Gora) to keep yourself occupied, but it does at least have a supermarket if you want to put together a cheap lunch.

Getting to Bol can be a bit difficult as it typically requires getting a bus to Split, a boat to Supertar, then a bus or taxi across the island. There is a catamaran that goes from Split straight to Bol once a day, so if you're lucky with your flight times you can get that. If you take the 6am catamaran from Bol to Split it can make for a nice day trip.

There are also quite a few activities for children (although we went with a 18-month old) including a play park just outside the hotel and various paid activities (trampolines etc.) and plenty of water sports for older kids or adults, but I didn't get round to trying my hand at any."

• Travel date: Thu 22nd of September 2011

Hotels near Bluesun Hotel Elaphusa

Stayed at Bluesun Hotel Elaphusa? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Bluesun Hotel Elaphusa

• Ed by Ed

"Relax in the hot tub & have a cocktail on of the numerous bars in or around the hotel. "

Bluesun Hotel Elaphusa is also called