WORST HOTEL I HAVE EVER BEEN TO THAT TRY AND ROB YOUR PASSPORTS

Reviewed Tue 30th of June 2015

"MY REVIEW ON HOTEL IVANA PALACE BULGARIA ON TRIPADVISOR SORRY ITS HUGE AM FUMING !
By far the worst hotel that I have ever stayed in. I don’t really know where to start the experience was that awful. A group of 5 girls stayed there for a week and paid for half board. The hotel itself was very nice and the rooms were spacious. Except I wouldn’t have a child in this hotel as the pool area was never cleaned and full of glass. My friends cut their feet on a regular basis. There also isn’t any entertainment for children so I feel as if they would get bored. The middle lift is also broken my friend got stuck in it which was quite a traumatizing experience. Also there are no sensors in the lifts so my friend also got crushed by the door as she was walking in the lift. We took the stairs from then on as a safer option. The food my advice don’t put yourself through it. The breakfast was vile and cold. The evening meal well you couldn’t call it a meal. On the buffet one night they had lettuce, onion, uncooked slimy chicken, bread, silky butter, breaded fish, chips and tinned carrots. The most random selection of food I have ever seen in my life. They also had no free drinks except for some weird pink looking drink which looked like sick something you would serve at a children Halloween party. They also gave you miniature plates to make you eat less which they really didn’t need to as I wouldn’t serve that food to my dog. The bar at the pool though was very cheap and a nice happy quick service with buy one get one free you couldn’t complain. As it was a girls holiday there are bound to be messy rooms with clothes everywhere as that what happens. The room I was staying in though I noticed that we wasn’t getting any fresh bedding, towels or toilet roll. This carried on for 3 days the other 2 rooms in our party did have this service. After a day out on the beach me and my friend went back to our room to find the most disgusting note I have ever received in all my life from Alexander the hotel rep. Basically calling us scruffs because we had clothes on the floor and this apparently wasn’t abiding by the hotel rules. May I add that we never say ANY hotel rules whatsoever? I could understand if we were sick on the floor or if we broke furniture but we never. We are not animals even though that’s how they treat their customers. They didn’t just write us a note though oh no they took all our pillows, towels, duvets and left us with just a mattress. So we cleaned our room which may I add took us ten minutes as all it was, was clothes! Honestly you would think that there had been an explosion by this note which I will attach on to this review. We then went down to reception with the note to demand fresh bedding etc. They said that we would have to wait till morning are they crazy how can I just sleep on a mattress. This isn’t bare grills for god sakes. The receptionist said she could do nothing for us so we have to call Alexander ourselves! He said that he hadn’t been in our room but he will send the cleaner up to give us fresh bedding straight away. We also mentioned to him why the note said the rep you never saw. So I said to him what type of rep are you? Aren’t you meant to introduce yourself to us? Honestly these people were crazy. The worst holiday rep to walk Bulgaria that one. Then the next night you're never going to believe it they switched our electricity off! What had we done to these people? We had to walk round in pitch black, have you ever tried to go to the toilet in the dark? It isn’t a pleasant experience I can tell you now. The next day when it was daylight and I could actually see I found the electric box located above the door and I turned the electricity on myself. Go on holiday to become an electrician what an absolute joke. Then it gets worse believe it or not. The 3 other girls went down to reception to get our passports back as we was leaving the next morning. They give them their back but said that they wasn’t giving us ours back till be paid 500 lev because we had clothes on the floor in our room !!!!! I marched down to reception and went can I please have my passport back and they said NO so I went WHY? Then they mumbled and said they don’t know and to come back in ten minutes as people were checking in. So half an hour later we go back as the receptionists are like snails. They said that we can’t have them back because the state of our room. I explained that we cleaned our room when asked to and we haven't broken a single object. I said that we were disgusted by the way we have been treated and demanded to see a manager immediately. It was apparently the manager’s day off how convenient so I asked to speak to the next person in charge. They said that they didn’t have one? How can they not have one what type of hotel is this? Faulty Towers. What would they do in an emergency? They said to us that we would have to wait to see the manager tomorrow. I told them no you are trying to steal my passport and I am going to the British embassy. I was arguing with these unprofessional robbing idiots for a good hour till eventually they gave us our passports and apologized. Which I found rather strange how can you go from a definite no to a yes just like that? We then thought that they were going to rob our room again as they stole 550 lev out of my friend’s purse which was left on the side. We nearly moved all of our possessions into our other friend’s room as we felt that unsafe. Just to top of the experience from hell the horrible head cleaner came into our room stood there and starting chatting on in Bulgarian. So we said we are English we can’t understand you. She then carried on stood there and starting laughing in our faces. Walking round the room like a creep inspecting things. She then went on the phone and then walked out of the room and kept the door open and just stood there staring in as if she was planning how to murder us. After ten minutes of this creepiness I went over and shut the door as I couldn’t take this anymore not paid for this crap. I would never in my life stay there ever again even if someone paid me. I do not recommend this hotel Ivana Palace to anyone. It definitely wasn’t a palace haha. I have never been treated like that in all my life. I am surprised that the hotel has any customers left. The cleaner should defiantly be sacked, A cleaner that doesn’t like to clean how hilarious! Go and change your job description. I AM LIVID THE HOTEL STAFF NEED TO GO AND BE REPLACED BY NICE NORMAL HUMAN BEINGS.
P.S THE WIFI WAS CRAP NEVER TYPED A PASSPORT SO MUCH IN ALL MY LIFE MY FINGERS ACTUALLY ACHE

• Travel date: Tue 30th of June 2015

just got back september 30th

Reviewed Sat 1st of October 2011

"This hotel was very clean,we had room cleaned every day and cleaners were very polite,ther was two days were cleaners left balcony doors open after cleaned this did not go down to well for us.The hotel was very clean and pool area too inside and outside bar very good prices and staff very nice to us.We had b&b it was eatable,Sunny beach like blackpool in the sun but the beach was great,locals very friendly to all,we were told to look out for pick pockets but we had no problum we ate out meal good cheap salt & pepper good meals&julys bar,it was nice to walk along sea front,pub for football red lion,2 lagers and coffee 7leves £3.50,u could buy lager for 1 lev 50p also near end of holiday we ate in hawaii bar on sea front 2 roast beef meals 2largers and acoke,22 levs £11.Would go again but not next year has we all ready booked next year in cyprus."

• Travel date: Sat 1st of October 2011

pictures do it no justice!

Reviewed Wed 7th of September 2011

"me and my girlfriend have recently returned from a 2 week holiday to this hotel. Before our arrival we had read some bad reviews from others which made us worry. However all the less good reviews were found to be nonsense as all staff were friendly and greeted us with a smile and were very polite.
Some reviews mentioned their rooms were not cleaned however our room was cleaned every day getting new bed sheets and towels. We stayed on the first floor right by the stairs to the pool which is just above the bar inside and there we were never disturbed by noise from there, despite it being busy.
We stayed Bed and Breakfast here and we do agree with some reviews that the room was based for eastern Europeans but was nice enough. Even if you do not enjoy the food at the hotel, it is cheap enough to eat out. (full english breakfast + drink = 6lev which is about £3)
The hotel itself is beautiful, the pictures do not give this enough justice.

Sunny Beach itself is lively and CHEAPPPPP! we brought £500 worth each with us for 2 weeks and we lived like kings. eating 2 2course meals a day + going out at night every night and still had money to spare.
there is plenty to do when you are there (we recommend the beach attractions).
We loved it so much we will be coming back next summer. we would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone!!"

• Travel date: Mon 29th of August 2011

Holiday

Reviewed Tue 12th of July 2011

"Just arrived back to day from a weeks Holiday at the Ivana Palace in Bulgaria. And what can i say it was terrible. We booked half board and had breakfast twice and Dinner a couple of times.Then we had to eat out the food is so bad no choice at all just the same stuff day in day out. and not only that the food is stone cold. Who wants to eat cold fried egg in the morning there is boiled eggs but no egg cup for it. The juice is so watered down that it has no taste. often it was hard to find a clean table. You had to sit with other peoples dirty dishes on it and they did not bother to hurry to clear tables . The dinning Room Staff were not very pleasent etheir and did not wear uniforms some of them served you with their outside jackets on. Dont think that was very good higine. The bedroom was ok pleanty of room we requested a poolveiw at time of booking but got a room on side with no veiw at all only good thing was you got sun on balcony all afternoon. When we arrived their was black hair in the drains in bathroom. and was still their when we left at the end of week . Room was not cleaned all time we were their and bedding was not changed at all if you wanted clean towels you had to put the dirty ones in bath or you would never get clean ones this we found out on the second day. I dont normaly complain about hotels but this one is the worst i have stayed in Its rated 3 starplus more like a 2 star Bulgaria is worth a visit Nessabar is so nice with pleanty of shops. and a very nice beach. "

• Travel date: Fri 8th of July 2011

Great Hotel, Lovely people!!!

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"Hi Dont normally write reviews but just came back from the Ivana Palace, was a 3 star but would rate as 4 star!!!!!!!!! Very spacious rooms for a hotel, very clean, clean towels/bed linen every 2nd day,

So many people have left negitive reviews????? I really dont understand why.

The bar owners are really friendly and prices are more than reasonable, made our stay very enjoyeable.

In a whole loved the holiday would go back again........."

• Travel date: Fri 31st of July 2009

a really fantastic hotel!!!!

Reviewed Wed 21st of November 2012

"I would go back to the Ivana Palace Hotel as I was very pleasantly surprised with it.
It says its a 3 star, I would rate it at least a 4 star, the maids came in every day, the room was spotless, the lobby, bar, pool, sun loungers were all in tip top condition, the staff were very friendly and its a 10 minute walk to the beach.
I cannot comment on the food as we were room only."

• Travel date: Tue 28th of July 2009

Nice pool, happyhour drinks lame, DONT EAT AT THE RESTAURANT, roomcleaning bad, bad behaving UK-res', shop is good.

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"The pool is really the only good thing about this hotel if the UK-residents could behave a lot better, but they really are BAD BEHAVING.
If you order the happyhour drinks then you can cout on that there isnt really any liquer in them, just mostly soda.
The hotels restaurant is really a piece, the first days we tried it and every time you got something else on your plate than you ordered for, so dont use it. I really recommend the chinese restaurant a few hundred meters away opposite the new Supermarket at the big road, they really have the best food of the whole Sunny Beach area and they are really clean and hygienic.
Cleaniness of the general hotel is ok, but the room cleaning is really bad. We stayed for 14days and not once did they vacuum the carpet, not once change the linen of the beds, not wiping the tables, they were really really really under grade room cleaners!
The hotels shop is good and has lower prices than the surrounding shops, this one we really recommend and the lady working in it is really a nice person.
The crew in general is not so good in speaking english, but perhaps managable.
Otherwise the whole Sunny Beach are really crappy, never again we go there and last packegetourist deal for us, this topped the crappiness of them all."

• Travel date: Wed 22nd of July 2009

clean friendly hotel

Reviewed Sat 8th of December 2012

"just had 2 wk stay in ivana palace rooms spacious maid service every day with clean towels n beddin.b/fast plenty to choose from.sun loungers free n plenty of.pool nice n clean.lobby bar run by very nice couple darina n dido who make u feel most welcome.5 min walk 2 seafront where bars are plenty. recommend friends next victoria palace for meals. 7th time at sunny beach 1st ivana palace will def be back next year."

• Travel date: Fri 17th of July 2009

Dont go for evening meal!!!!!!

Reviewed Wed 21st of November 2012

"Just arrived home from Ivana Palace and over all the hotel was very nice. The family room we had was very spacious with a large balcony,it was clean....the house keeping could not be faulted.The pool area was good with plenty sun beds. Hotel location was quiet, only a five minute walk to beach with lots to see and do when you get there.Regular bus to Nessebar... if you are brave enough!!!! BUUUTTTT ...OH MY GOD THE DINING ROOM... Breakfast was ok, not much variety but enough to eat, same old same old most days.The problem was the evening meal which i would STRONGLY advise anyone from buying.The hotel is promoted as a b&b which i think they should stop at, they dont encourage evening guests. The restaurant staff are misrable and totaly uninterested in their guests,they did not provide enough food or variety, there was hardly anything left if you went for dinner after 7 oclock which is very poor considering it only opened @ 6.30.I would go back to Bulgaria again and possibly to this hotel,but only if i was on a diet!"

• Travel date: Fri 17th of July 2009

Nice hotel under poor management

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"The reason we chose Ivana Palace in front of Riu Hotels was due to the advertised free wireless internet. Further I had made a direct inquiry with the Hotel manager about the availability of free of charge wireless which was confirmed via email. For our disappointment the wireless internet was not working most if the time and we were able to connect to the internet for few minutes every 3 days barely enough to download our emails. There was about $10 charge to access the internet through the hotel computer.

The hotel is quite clean, we did stay 7 nights, however the maid would not replace the soap , replenish with shampoo and would not change the sheets every two days. This is required by the Bulgarian law and according to the star rating of the hotel (http://lex.bg/laws/ldoc/2135497489). The room was tidied up well and towels were replaced daily. Making compromise with the hygiene is not a good sign. The AC was not working well and could not cool the room.

The cooking at the restaurant was real bad and the service was quite poor, waiters inexperienced. Prepare yourself to eat out.

The access to the gym was at an extra charge of about $7 per visit. Gym remained empty. The beach was in a bit of a walk and one has to pay extra $20-$30 for umbrella and chair. The capacity of chairs and umbrellas for the hotel guests was not meeting the demand. The mats badly need replacement due to the dirt. The hotel guests were reserving chairs early in the morning without using them. There were no pool towels available for the guests either. The pool was very clean but water was a bit cold. There was no pool guard on duty. The great thing was that the pool was 1m 50 cm , so having a 13 y.o. kid with disability in the pool did not possess safety problem and did not require additional sitting. There is separate kids area for the youngsters as well.

Most of the tourists were from Eastern Europe, mostly Russians, Polish and Czech, and few Swedish and Dutch younger people on a low budget.

I have requested a room with a pool view, high floor and bath tub through booking.com , direct email to the hotel and a phone call, because I have a child with special needs. When we arrived such was not available and we had to move on the next day.

There was a definite advantage of availability of a doctor in the hotel facility, but you better get travel insurance. The price is 60 Euro for the doctor’s exam and OHIP in Canada will cover only up to $50. The other good thing was that the music at the pool bar was not very loud like at some other hotels. So for sure you can keep your hearing intact.

Overall the hotel is new, very nicely build and furnished, but poorly managed. The hotel was mostly empty due to lack of popularity, the service and location, which is nice to get away from the crowd.

Similar problems with services in other hotels in Bulgaria."

• Travel date: Sun 5th of July 2009

Nice hotel, sun at the pool all day long, would go again

Reviewed Thu 18th of October 2012

"Nice hotel, had a great time. Not very close to the beach but we enjoyed the walk there. Also the pool had sun all day long, the hotels surrounding ours did not.
The food was good, could have been better.
Due to cars stealing in Bulgaria the hotel always left an old car parked blocking the parking area so you had to go to the hotel staff to move it every time you wanted to go out after 8 a clock at night. Better than having your car stolen i guess."

• Travel date: Thu 4th of June 2009

Ivana Palace

Reviewed Sat 8th of December 2012

"Ivana Palace was great!!!
Was a lovely fairly new Clean Hotel - impressed!!!
Cleaners were cleaning untill all hours!!
We had a family room which was very spacious - lounge area with 2 settes and t.v, bedroom had 2 large singles pushed together, and 2 put up beds for kids. The bedroom had a mini bar, t.v and dressing table area. Bathroom very clean with a good power shower.........some nights it was a cold shower must of been due to many people showering at the same time.
Balcony overlooked the pool which had a table & 2chairs and a clothes airer.
Pool was large with a adult pool and kiddies pool, got busy round the pool in the day, many people down early putting there towels out on beds........I ended up joining them as otherwise there was nowt left!!!
Breakfast at hotel was VERY POOR!!!!! Didnt really cater for the english at all, salads, cold baked beans in the chilled section, meats, cheese, boiled eggs, fried eggs, hot dog style sausage, 2 type of cereal, toaster was rubbish, coffee was fowl, and water out the tea urn was never hot, just luke warm. Same day in day out!!!!!
Reception & breakfast Staff were miserable in hotel, Bar staff were friendly and made an effort to talk to us & our children!!!
This didnt bother us though, didnt need to speak to reception or restaurant staff.
Loads of Germans, Russians & Swedish stayed at this hotel, we felt a bit on our own.
Great hotel overall!!!!"