Fotografía Aérea

Worst Hotel Experience Ever

Reviewed 20th December 2012

"Based on other's recommendations, we reserved 2 rooms for 3 nights. Lovely grounds. Attitudes of staff could not have been worse upon arrival and when shown room (No air, no tv, bye-bye). No air is one thing, but no security another. Hotel at end of dark, dangerous road that leads to "Tamagringo". No hotel shuttle. Beach unsafe for night walks, too. Staff made faces behind backs (oops one of us was watching). Very unprofessional and unpleasant. Witnessed room towels being "swished" in bathtub for cleaning. Upon securing rooms at the El Diria, we immediately checked out and did not spend a single night at the Suizo."

• Travel date: 29th June 2006

Suizo is only so-so

Reviewed 17th October 2012

"My husband and I spend the last three days of our honeymoon at the Capitan Suizo. I really wonder where the other honeymooners stayed that they found Capitan Suizo to be the best of their trip. We couldn't leave fast enough. To be fair, the Capitan Suizo is the nicest hotel in Tamarindo. But, Tamarindo leaves A LOT to be desired. It is a dirty, Americanized little beach town. We reserved one of the bungalows with AC, but the bugs were still awful. We are from Florida, we're used to bugs, but this was rediculous. There were ants, spiders, and roaches waiting for us when we returned each night. The bathroom did have a "jacuzzi" tub, but it was very small and old compared to other places we stayed. There was no television and the radio received only one station. We were told the management decided against TVs to encourage social interaction. I'll make my own decision, thanks anyway. The pool is nice, but there is no hot tub. The beach is beautiful, but there are ants everywhere. The restaurant was very good, but a little overpriced. If you do find yourself here, make sure to take a hike to the end of the beach to Witch's Rock Surf Camp. They have awesome happy hour specials and the best nachos we've ever had."

• Travel date: 27th June 2006

Best Hotel during our Trip to Costa Rica

Reviewed 1st November 2012

"In Tamarindo, we stayed at Capitan Suizo for three nights. It was by the far best hotel during our trip to Costa Rica. Capitan Suizo is located about 1 km past downtown Tamarindo. I enjoyed not being right in town. The area around the hotel was quiet and there were very few people (sometimes none at all) at beach area in front of the hotel. The hotel was magnificent grounds, with animals and birds abundant. Capitan Suizo only has 30 rooms, so there was no time that the hotel felt crowded including the pool, restaurant or beach area. There were many times that I could walk right out from my room and see howler moneys, birds, iguanas, etc. We were able to feed raccoons and squirrels out of our hands at the restaurant. We also threw bananas to the iguanas to eat. The walk to town from Capitan Suizo was not far. It was faster on the beach, but also a nice walk on the dirt road. When it rained the dirt road became muddy. In the evening, we did take taxis a few times to town or dinner, since it was raining. The hotel rents kayaks to guests to $5 per hour. We rented 2 kayaks and paddle out to a small island off of shore, where there were birds and tide pools. Be sure to do it during low tide. We did the Canopy Tour that we booked at our hotel. It was thrilling and fun. It cost $35 per person, which we thought was worth it. The restaurant at Capitan Suizo is very good. There have daily specials. It is also a nice, romantic setting. Non-guests may eat there as well. Overall, I thought that hotel was very nice and relaxing. The people at the front desk were helpful and very accommodating. I would stay at the Capitan Suizo again."

• Travel date: 24th June 2006

GORGEOUS, but...

Reviewed 31st October 2012

"My Fiance and I went here in May 2005 and LOVED it! The best part about this place is the pool and how it connects to the beach...VERY awesome...although, there were a few problems. Since we went in Mid May of last year it was low season and it would rain on and off; thus, the bugs would love to come into our room. At first we had a second floor, ceiling fan only room which looked very new and modern, but we had to upgrade to an air conditioned room due to all of the bugs that came into our room. The front desk said that it was low season and that this problem could not be helped. They gave us a can of bug killer and my fiance sprayed the room as we left for dinner. Well, after dinner the problem did not help and we were killing bugs left and right. Finally we upgraded to a room with A/C in a not so new part of the hotel. Although this room had less bugs, you could tell that the room we were originally in was newer and cleaner. The room had A/C and less bugs, BUT it was in an older section and they had to move two twin beds together for us. In addition, the A/C leaked. This did not bother us much though since we were on vacation and LOVED the location on the southern most part of the beach. Oh, another thing, if you are going soon (like in low season) and staying here--if you opt to walk to town via the dirt road, be prepared for it to be muddy. If you opt to walk via the beach to town which is very romantic, I would do this during the day but not late at night as there are no lights and who knows what can happen. But then again, I'm the type of person who would rather be safe than sorry... Lastly, the restaurant is a bit overpriced, but the service is good and I enjoyed the nights when cumbia music played and I was able to have dinner delivered to my room..service was great... Enjoy!"

• Travel date: 14th May 2006

Wonderful family hotel

Reviewed 30th October 2012

"Last month our family of five stayed at Capitan Suizo for a week. We had a fantastic time. Our three boys are 15, 20 and 22. Our goal was family time but also an opportunity for the College kids to have safe nightime fun also. Our surfers were very happy with the surf and the weather was absolutely perfect. We met lovely people. My only complaint is that the bed and linens were horrible. Other than that, I highly recommend Suizo. The food at the hotel was quite good but make plans to go to dinner in town often...there are many good restaurants."

• Travel date: 25th April 2006

Fantastic Spot

Reviewed 1st November 2012

"My new husband and I went on our honeymoon in January and stayed in 3 different places ending at Capitan Suzio. We absolutly loved it! We had a privtae bungalow which was beautiful with an outdoor shower and jacuzzi tub. The best part however was the beach just steps away! This hotel is a bit away from the town but only a quarter mile walk down the beach will get you there. The beach was fairly private being at the time the last hotel for as far as we could walk anyway! On low tide take a walk away from town and pass even more pristine beaches in front of B&B's and private residences. I would reccomend goinig into town for dinner as there are many more options, and experience the surf town fun. Definatly a must go!"

• Travel date: 17th April 2006

Definately not paradise!!!

Reviewed 2nd December 2012

"I must say i can't believe people actually called this place paradise, the hotel is clean but unfriendly , very cold, and we booked for only 2 nites but only stayed for 1 thats how much i disliked this hotel , my advice skip Tamarindo totally unless you like a really americanized place, this is not Costa Rica ."

• Travel date: 14th March 2006

Paradise

Reviewed 2nd December 2012

"What a fabulous place!. What else can you say except paradise. The staff is execellant. The view is breath takeing. My husband and I both cried when we had to leave. I hope they never change. Can't wait to go again next year!"

• Travel date: 26th February 2006

An outstanding resort

Reviewed 20th December 2012

"This is an outstanding place to stay. Honestly, we had reservations about it before we arrived because the descriptions/pictures we found did not really describe the location and the facility sufficiently. Here's what we found: - the facility is right on the beach at the southern end of Tamarindo. The distance from the hotel steps to the water can be 75 yards at low tide because of the significant tides. At high tide, it's about 10 yards. The hotel has a bunch of very comfortable lounge chairs with cushions right at the top of the beach, under some nice shade trees. - the beach in front of the Suizo is great for swimming with very soft sand and some decent waves- but not too large. The larger waves are the northern end of Tamarindo. - the pool is large and very well maintained. Many lounge chairs around it- some in the sun, most under shade. It's beautiful. - the hotel grounds are full of flowers, bushes and trees that are very well maintained, as is the rest of the facility. - the staff is well trained, fun, and very helpful. - the only (slight) negative is that the bed is hard, but we fixed that by putting the room's futon cushions on the bed and the staff made the bed up with the cushions on top. Problem solved. - Tamarindo is an interesting town with great restaurants, bars, and little shops. Nice people- the locals aren't out to grab your dollars, they are very laid back. It's a quick walk to the town on the beach but the dirt roads aren't so great for walking. Get a rental SUV so that you can hit the great restaurants just outside of town. The access roads to T'rindo are horrible with miles of deep potholes. Get an SUV to prevent bottoming out. If you fly in to Liberia, I suggest going past the first route to T'rindo and continuing on the main road towards Santa Cruz. Just before Santa Cruz, there's a left turn to T'rindo- well marked. The first mile is tough, but it improves after. It's 1 hour 15 min to Capitan Suizo from the airport. This is a great place and when we go back to Costa Rica, we will go to T'rindo and stay at the Suizo. We would not consider any other place."

• Travel date: 24th February 2006

An oasis in dusty Tamarindo

Reviewed 21st December 2012

"Downtown Tamarindo resembles a large dusty carpark for 4x4s with Burger King and Pizza Hut, with less charm than a howler monkeys armpit. However, a 20 minute stroll along a lovely white sandy beach brings you to the Capitan Suizo. Rooms and bungalows are situated in lovely landscaped gardens. All rooms have balconies or terraces with garden furniture and are designed for the maximum possible privacy. They are very spacious and well equipped, and even have a coffee machine with lovely filter Costa Rican coffee provided every day. Our only minor niggle concerning our bungalow was that our spa bath tub pug did not function and apparently couldn't be (or wasn't) repaired. However, we did enjoy ur outside shower, washing under a full moon, listening to the sounds of the night. There were plenty of sunloungers around a great free form pool, where one can observe the howler monkeys and iguanas. We found all the staff extremely friendly and cheerful, and the food was actually better than anticipated after reading some of these reviews. I only hope that with the current building trend in the area, the peace of the hotel will not be totally shattered. Already if you are staying in the accommodation near the road, you are more likely to be woken up by construction vehicles or buses at 5am, than by the howler monkeys."

• Travel date: 18th February 2006