About Grafton Beach Resort

• free airport transportation

Good

A beautiful Resort Hotel.

Reviewed Fri 31st of January 2014

"I enjoyed the time spent at the Grafton Beach Resort. The room overlooked the ocean and the patios were nice to relax. The bathroom was clogged but management immediately called the plumber to fix the problem. Although he drained the tub the first night it plugged again on the second day. The food was good with a clean safe environment. Since my room was a long walk with many steps to the beach I had difficulty climbing up. This place is not suitable for persons with mobility problems. The fact of the matter is that on the second day I was unable to go to the beach as the climbing affected my mobility. Jerry, the driver picked me up at Ferry and promptly arrived at the hotel to take me back to the ferry the next day. Overall the place is good but when mishaps occur receptionists need to contact supervisors immediately and say "I'm sorry for the inconvenience" as the rates are not cheap."

• Travel date: Thu 30th of January 2014

14 days Sept/Oct 2013

Reviewed Thu 10th of October 2013

"Just back to Tobago after 14 interesting days at the Grafton Hotel.The staff were polite, very conscientious and helpful The new management structure was very active controlling the maintenance work and room updating. Those visiting in November onwards should reap the benefits of the changes.
The food was a problem for us but others found it acceptable. We understand a new chef arriving from Canada will start soon.
Access to all parts not suitable for a person with walking difficulties and if you are a pram pusher. However the beach was perfect with the hotel beach bar. Some goodish snorkeling along the rock on the right hand side. Would re visit in 2015 Quality of drinks very good in the hotel bar and beach bar on the all inclusive deal. Grafton you can make 4stars.

• Travel date: Thu 10th of October 2013

stayed at the grafton beach hotel. the...

Reviewed Tue 30th of September 2008

"stayed at the grafton beach hotel. the general staff were great, really helpful and polite. the accommodation in places was a bit tatty, but overall clean. the was a severe shortage of towels,the hotel had problems with the dryers. the food was good, plenty of choice. the hotel is ideally situated very close to a stunning beach, which was clean with plenty of sunbeds and shades. the local people are lovely. the beach vendor near the buccanner bar is super. he organised some fantastic trips for us at half the price of the tour operators. ask for roger!.
the senior hotel staff however were not very welcoming of the locals and some staff treated them with unjustified contempt which occassionally spoilt it a little.
overall though, it was a great holiday, so good we are going back next year. i think anyone who went there would enjoy themselves"

• Travel date: Tue 30th of September 2008

The Grafton Beach Hotel was basic but th...

Reviewed Sun 15th of July 2007

"The Grafton Beach Hotel was basic but the staff and the Island made up for it.

Tobago is one of the best islands we have been to and would recommend going to anyone looking for a true Caribbean island.

Unfortunately we were situated near the restaurant kitchens and were woken on some early mornings when deliveries arrived! I also had to experience the on call doctor for an ear infection, which the hotel arranged for me.

The swim up bar was great and the staff were extremely friendly and helpful."

• Travel date: Sun 15th of July 2007

After reading some of the other reviews...

Reviewed Wed 2nd of May 2007

"After reading some of the other reviews on this page I felt I had to comment.

We travelled to Tobago for the 2nd time in 2006 (1st time we stayed at Rex Turtle Beach), we found the Grafton Beach to be a very welcoming and enjoyable place.

Our twin daughters travelled with us and celebrated their 3rd birthday at the hotel. The staff could not have been more helpful, they baked a birthday cake for our girls and let us use the restaurant to have a birthday party.

Food was always hot and fresh with a varied menu, staff cooked especially for the children every day. In the morning at breakfast we would tell them what the girls wanted in the evening and it was ready, excellent service!

The staff were always friendly and helpful, with a smile and time for a chat, we have been too many Caribbean islands and this is not always the case!

Room was cleaned every day to a high standard and we had plenty of wardrobe space even though there was 4 of us.

The beach was always clean and the traders were very friendly, the sea was warm and calm and the children really enjoyed swimming in it.

All in all we had a wonderful holiday which was aided by the great facilities and friendly staff, Thank you Grafton Beach, keep up the good work."

• Travel date: Wed 2nd of May 2007

Transfer time from Tobago's airport to t...

Reviewed Tue 13th of March 2007

"Transfer time from Tobago's airport to the Grafton Beach Resort is 15 minutes, the average journey really across the island as Tobago does not have many road routes.

As we drew up at the reception area I was greeted with rum cocktail, my bags taken and I was shown to a lounge area whilst staff checked me in to my room.

My room was fabulous comprising two double beds, a large balcony with furniture, a bathroom with bath, WC and overhead shower, satellite TV and that all important fridge.

The balcony overlooked a fabulous garden area but the ocean too was in sight and close enough for the waves to be heard.

Having only 106 rooms navigating the hotel was easy. There were around six blocks all facing the ocean, each block was two storey and the rooms best described as terraced. The beach was never more than a minutes’ walk from any of the rooms.

Every room was fully air conditioned although some offered more modern air conditioning than others.

I was one of the lucky ones and my air conditioning can be described, for an island such as Tobago, as being state of the art and my room was nicely cooled at all times and the unit itself didn't leak or make a noise.

Speaking with other guests some of the units were yet to be replaced and often dripped in to the baths or hummed constantly.

My room was cleaned daily and towels replaced daily.

Grafton Beach Resort has three bars. The main hotel bar which is situated just as you enter the hotel and overlooks the pool area. There was also a swim up pool bar and not to mention the beach bar.

Being all inclusive all drinks soft and alcoholic including cocktails were of no extra charge. All liquor was local but of a very high standard.

As food was all inclusive I did worry I would not find enough to eat or be able to eat whenever I felt like it but I was wrong. The eating arrangements at Grafton beach were as follows:

Breakfast: Served in the main restaurant. Buffet style. Full English, American, Continental as well as a full range of fresh fruits and specialist Caribbean dishes were available in plentiful supply from 7am until 10am each morning. You could eat as much and as often as you like within this time frame.

Lunch: A buffet style lunch was served in the main restaurant. There was always plenty of choice and options would include pizza, pasta and burgers as well as more traditional Caribbean fare.

Salads were varied and inviting and I would be surprised if you couldn't find anything that took your fancy - the restaurant appeared to cater for the fussy "I only eat British" to the more adventurous tourist.

Option two for lunch was the beach fronting bar "Buccaneer's Beach Bar and Grill" which offered burger and chips in various guises.

Lunch was available between 12 noon and 2pm.

Dinner: Dinner required a booking and was available at two restaurants, the main Ocean View Restaurant where breakfast and lunch was served or Neptune's Restaurant, serving fresh seafood. Dinner was served between 7pm and 10pm although the staff did like you to book as early as possible which did cause a few guests to grumble.

Neptune's Seafood Restaurant was set on stilts above the pool bar. It catered for around 15 people and offered candlelit dinners. The food was varied but there was nothing but local caught seafood on the menu each evening.

The Ocean View Restaurant would alternate between a buffet style dinner one evening and a la carte the next. There was always option to have a four course meal each evening and again all tastes appeared to be catered for.

Extras: Cakes, pastries and scones together with tea and coffee were served both mid morning and again in the afternoon.

From my experience the food was always of a high quality. Being a non meat eater with an intolerance of dairy and wheat I managed no problem and ate plenty.

I ate in all three restaurants without complaint however by the end of the week I was slightly bored at the variety of salad and rice dishes however please bear in mind I didn't eat the meat and I avoided the wheat based products…

Anyone normal would not have been bored!!

The pool was centrally located with the main bar and Neptune's Restaurant overlooking. The resort also boasts indoor squash courts which were popular and of a high standard.

The resort is set on Black Rock Beach at Stonehaven Bay. The beach never got crowded, was spotlessly well kept. The area is renowned for its scuba diving and part of the all inclusive deal included a half day session although more sessions could be booked from the scuba diving centre which was situated next to the beach bar.

Every morning before 7am the local fishermen would pull in their nets and I would often watch, fascinated.

I've seen nicer beaches. The sun loungers were rather old however; the hotel supplied comfortable covers for them. That aside I must add that rather than having to worry that the local beach traders would annoy me I never once felt hassled and instead felt welcome.

When I first walked on the beach a local man came over and said 'welcome to paradise'. He could not have put it any better. By the end of my holiday I knew everyone by their first name and they me.

My Holiday in General

There was traditional local entertainment every evening which varied in standard but really did have you feel like you were in the Caribbean.

Staff were always friendly, chatty and helpful and all seemed highly educated. Even the beach sellers were charming and never hassling.

The main town of Scarborough was a twenty minute drive which costs the equivalent of £3 by taxi. We ventured to Scarborough when we had a tropical rain shower and sat in some local rum bars as well as having a nosy at Dwight Yorke Stadium!

The locals in the town were charming and again didn't hassle for money, they were just happy to chat and discuss their island.

I also went to the only nightclubbing area on the island where traditional music played, rum was of the plenty and the locals and tourists danced the night away. It was a real eye opener.

There are plenty of excursions that the resort will happily book for you. I visited a rain forest and bird sanctuary but the list is endless.

I travelled alone. I was nervous but the Grafton Beach Resort was perfect. It would be the ideal choice for couples and those with young families although children could get bored if just staying within the resort.

Not once did I feel scared for my safety and I could easily walk around the nearby residential area with locals often popping out of their homes for a chat.

The hotel facilities were rather dated but everything was clean, well kept and maintenance men would attend any problems straight away.

The locals explained that with Tobago being such a small island everything was imported hence they looked after what they had as things could not always be replaced easily.

I enjoyed the food but if I'd stayed for longer than a week would have ventured out of the resort for variety but my understanding was that restaurants could be expensive.

I have never experienced such friendliness as to that I experienced in Tobago. Anything that the Grafton Beach Resort lacked in facilities it made up for in character and warmth.

If I return to Tobago I would stay here again without a doubt, I think I have found an authentic Tobagan resort, not yet spoilt and that offers a high quality service."

• Travel date: Tue 13th of March 2007

Family Size: 4 (2 adults & 2 children, 1...

Reviewed Thu 12th of January 2006

"Family Size: 4 (2 adults & 2 children, 12 & 10).

Cost: All-Inclusive, 1 room, £4,200 (excluding flights), for 2 weeks in December 2005 (not over Christmas day).

Hotel Overview - The hotel feels like it is 'just' about trying to get away with offering the minimum. There is no feeling to the place, the staff are robots.

One old bald man serving in the oceanview restaurant quite grumpy/unhelpful. Food is quite uneatable, much of the time (canteen food), not what you expect at a hotel charging what they charge.

Beach OK, not too busy, but rough breakers (forget watersports, even though they promote them).

We would never want to go back to the Graffton Beach.

Tobago: We were out & about every other day and got to know some great local people. Tobago is nice and vibrant for a Carib' Island, but I still prefer Grenada in this part of the Carbbean, I've not been there since the hurricane).

Room - OceanView; Although with two King size beds, the room is not large enough for more than two people, to live in, there is not enough wardrobe/draw space. The rooms are kept clean and the air-con works well. Do not pay more for the garden rooms (not worth it). Bathroom clean and functional.

Food - This is only the 2nd time we have gone 'all-inclusive', last time at Almond Beach Villageon Barbados, Dec2004 (good, much high level of service/food quality etc). The food was quite terrible 99% of the time. Canteen food & service; every meal became a chore, not a pleasure. They do a waitress type service some days, but staff are poorly trained. The food was the worst part of this hotel. We eat out a number of times, nice restaurants locally (not over priced).

Drink - As expected with all-Inclusive most drinks were watered down; when the bottle had a 'yellow dot' on it meant it had been 'dealt with'. So look for bottles behind the bar that are not yellow dotted. Even though drinks are included in AI. I always fancy a bottle of wine, the list has a terrible selection and charges around £45 for a bottle of cheap £5-6 (off-licence price UK). So I did not partake (nor did anyone else the 2 weeks we were there). Other restaurants on Tobago charge approx' UK restaurant prices for bottle.

Entertainment/Sports - One of the reasons we chose an AI was the entertainment (to keep kids happy, so they can use the hotel facilities while we enjoyed a leisurely dinner). Kids Sports room is OK, but the evening 'live' entertainment is dull.

Forget watersports, the sea is too rough that side of the island. Sadly it was one of the main reasons why we chose this hotel (we do alot of watersports as a hobby in UK etc... Canoeing, sailing etc). You have to go out so deep to get away from the white water breaker, then its still never calm."

• Travel date: Thu 12th of January 2006

A relaxing establishment.

Reviewed Wed 14th of November 2012

"Recently returned from attending a family wedding held at the Grafton during the first 2 weeks in June '03. Don't expect life to be a rush, this is ideal for those who wish to chill out. Not ideal for children ( up to 16 yrs. ) as there is nothing for them to do. The few that were there became restless and noisey and occasionally spoilt it for others as the parents were happy to 'fob' them off as they required their own peace and quiet. The pool isn't the largest so don't expect lengths of exercises but it's fine to float up to the pool-bar which is often manned and happy to serve. The pool can become slightly dirty as debris blows in from bushes and plants and the occasional insect which dive bombs the water. However, the pool attendant does make the odd appearance and scoops it out.......often missing the bulk of it !!! Also, it could do with a good clean around the edges where ones creams have settled onto the tiles in a greasy state. The rooms are spacious enough for what you want and cleaned daily to a good standard we thought. The a/c has 3 levels of power so you can set it to how you like and isn't as noisey as some we've experienced. Try to keep your doors closed as often as possible cos' them damn mozzies are gits'. They are still quite active early in the morning when you go onto your balcony to view the ocean or you go to the lounge to have some coffee prior to your breakfast. We couldn't fault the staff who served the drinks. They were polite and chatty and always willing to help with a smile. Young Roxanne and Lyndie-Ann with the more mature Stephanie and Michelle were our favouites along with Brandon who pointed the way for good tips of where to go on the island etc. The restaurant staff were slightly different....some needed a happy pill or two !! All meals came as a buffet style apart from some evening meals which you chose from a menu. This was alternated and became a bit of a bore at times as the choices were limited especially after a week. However, you only had to ask for an alternative and they would oblige if possible....but it would take its time in arriving as the chef probably took the hump ! The food in general, I thought, was good but I felt the lunch times were the best. They could probably swap some of the choices around to the evenings eg. curries ( some corkers served at lunch ). If you wished to go sight seeing the hotel came with it's own Taxi cabs. Have a chat at reception and they will organise one for you. They are slightly expensive but that's the norm throughout the island eg.TT$120- ( £12- ) to Scarborough... 15 mins. TT$130- ( £13- ) to Pidgeon Point...15 mins. TT$120- to Sunday School ( Buccoo )...15 mins. All places worth visiting especially the capital if you intend buying clothes...great deals on vertually half price designer gear. Sunday School is a must.....but don't go before 22.30hrs as it starts to hot up then. A few bars selling Carib at TT$7 ( 70p ) with very loud music, plenty of stalls selling super local food (dirt cheap) and plenty of dancing to be had by all. You'll probably get chatted up by the occasional local who goes onto the "welcome to our island" bit and then gets you to buy him a drink. Quite funny how he lures you, but worth 70p for a bottle. He may ask you if you require a smoke...it's up to you if you wish to partake but the police view the drug scene as bad news. A firm " no thank you, don't do the *** " is all it takes for him to be on his way with no bad feelings. He doesn't push the issue, for obvious reasons. The beach is the only disappointing area for me. Although clean, spacious and not over crowded I became slightly p----d off by the beach boys who constantly pestered you. There were those who wanted to sell you tours, and you could get a bargain compared to hotel prices, so it's worth a chat and a haggle. Then there are those who insist they rub on Aloe Vera, from the actual plant, as they point out that you are burning. They claim that they are doing it for free and don't want money...... WRONG. When they've finished they suggest a donation of between TT$20- and TT$100- (£2-to £10) and they don't go away very quickly. Then you get those trying to sell their products, again, it's up to you if you want to buy. These chaps come on with the "I don't have a job" and "I've got a family to keep" etc...Some of the stuff is OK but don't be affraid to haggle, they expect it. Finally, you have the singers. They have a guitar which is on it's last legs and has odd strings. You listen to the usual flannel and they try to charge you TT$100- Don't let them get comfortable and don't let them get started, tell him you're not interested. You will also get approached by those wanting to sell you substances other than the carving from the bark a tree !! I hope the review is of interest and if anyone wants any more info, I'm happy to oblige."

• Travel date: Sun 6th of July 2003

A Really Good Resort Hotel

Reviewed Sun 9th of December 2012

"Having read the reviews, I was slightly worried about staying at the Grafton. I need not have worried. It was excellent in every way. The staff were brilliant and attentive, the room very good and the food excellent. Could not want anything better."

• Travel date: Thu 29th of May 2003

Very enjoyable & great value for money

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"My Girlfriend and I have recently returned from a two week holiday at the Grafton and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We were not advised prior to our arrival that Tobago was suffering from a drought which restricted the hours that we had water. This didn't really inconvenience us too much. We had a delightful sea view room which was worth the upgrade cost. The food was excellent in all 3 restaurants, although often we were restricted to just the main retaurant due to the Neptune often being booked well in advance and the beach restaurant being closed in the evening - we did venture to the Sea Horse Inn for dinner which was fantastic and I'd highly recommend it. The Grafton staff were mostly very friendly and efficient, although there was a few individuals who could have done with some happy pills! The beach was very nice, although it became a little annoying when the locals kept trying to sell you their grandmothers, as well as tours, expeditions etc - it became apparent that they were all specialists in many fields...so we decided to hire our own soft top Jeep ($50 US p/day) and tour the Island ourselves.The Hilton Golf Course was a top quality course, although the nearby Mount Irvine was suffering from lack of water. I was assured however, that even a small amount of rain would return the course to a lush green and that it was a good course to play. We tried to book a massage at the Grand Courland towards the end of our holiday and found out that it was booked up solidly a week ahead. Overall, Tobago is a beautiful Island and I would recommend it as a great holiday destination and the Grafton is good value for money."

• Travel date: Mon 12th of May 2003

Our first holiday in 30 years

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"After reading various peoples notes on the Resort I had many concerns about our holiday. We questioned the travel agents Thomas Cook of Bury in Lancashire about the resort who explained that all problems were rectified and the resort was in great condition.We have just returned from there after 1 weeks holiday on the 28th April 2003 and have the following observations.The hotel accomodation was good (air conditioning a little noisey), the cleanliness was very good. The pool was small but clean and adequate for the small number staying there. The food was very good and the dinning area spacious and well kept. The beach was decent and early morning walks were a must. The pool room /indoor sports area was small but well air conditioned. Its biggest selling point was the very friendly helpfull people, the service was good in both bars. The hotel organised trips were good however we used locals and ended up with a fantastic days snorkelling and site seeing. The Plantations golf course was fantastic the other was unfortunately burnt off due to the drought. Our ownly concerns were how the travel agent Thomas Cook forget to inform us that the Island had suffered a drought and had very little water and we would be on severe rationing, they seemed to have forgotten to book a baby cot for our granddaughter, all credit to the hotel who tracked one down all be it a little the worst for wear, we felt really let down by the agents. I would recommend this hotel and the Island to any one. Do not expect to see an Island of well paid prosperous people, they have extremely high unemployment, there living is a meager exsistance, but they are proud of their Island and their general attitude is a credit to them."

• Travel date: Sun 27th of April 2003

fantastic hotel

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"i have just got home from spending ten days at the Grafton Hotel.I have had a wonderful holiday,i had previously read the bad reviews and was a bit preterbed about going.The hotel is excellent good value for money,situated close to the beach,food very good ,rooms very clean,the staff very helpful and friendly everywhere is very clean and i cannot fault the place,infact i am hoping to go back in November.Tobago is a lovely island the people are very friendly and its a safe place to be,can,t wait to go back."

• Travel date: Fri 11th of April 2003

Hotels near Grafton Beach Resort

Top traveller tips for Grafton Beach Resort

• B.J East by B.J East

"Just relax and enjoy the superb beach. "

• Annie F by Annie F

"Since the ocean water tends to be rough, a hilly walk with lots of step climbing, food service is slow with off normal times at the beach and a long way from the ferry one must consider these things. "

Grafton Beach Resort is also called