Coco Reef Tobago

Coconut Bay Bon Accord Village, Crown Point Tobago

Wedding bliss

"Just returned from Coco Reef where we have just spent two fantastic weeks. On the second week we were married in the hotel gardens. We cannot thank the staff enough for making the occasion so special. Having been to many Caribbean Islands Tobago has to rank as one of the least unspoilt islands as well as being the friendliest."

• Travel date: Thu 10th of June 2004

Don't GO

"If you are planning on going to Coco Reef don't. That is what I should say, however that is only because I don't want it become too populkar as this place is pure heaven. The hotel serves the most excellent food. Gordon Ramsy watch out. The chef Kenneth is unsurpassed in his culinary skills. The staff are helpful and attentive. This place is certainly not for kids as the spoil the natural quiet ambience of the place. The beach is the best I have been to in the Caribbean. The snorkelling is safe and the variety of fish is unbelievable. Anybody that comes away from the Coco reef complaining needs to get a life and go to Pontins or centre parks instead. OK the time to get served can be a little tiresome but hey you are on holiday chill out relax this is caribbean time don't forget. If you want to tour the island and get the local view ask for the Professor(Mr Sandy).

If at all possible ask for a ground floor apartment in the 200 range of room numbers as the heat on a night can get a bit difficult on the top floor. Don't worry about the sea view from your room, you won't do much in your room apart from the bed and shower as the grounds and beach are the place to be. Tobago is one of the few unspoilt islands in the world it's safe the locals are friemdly as they rely purely on tourism for their income.

All inclusive is the best option, you can always go out to some of the excellent restaurants but Coco Reef has the best food.

We have already booked our return trip and we only got back home today"

• Travel date: Sat 29th of May 2004

England in the Caribbean

"The review from Brighton in April titled "Good...but" is pretty accurate.
When we arrived our room wasn't ready, but after about an hour's wait we were given our room. Ground floor, partial view of the sea but good size, with a patio and light until about 6.30pm. It turned out to be one of the quieter areas of the complex too (rooms 110 - 130).
You get fresh beach towels each day in your room so no need to take any with you. It is a big pain that there aren't enough sun loungers with shade on the beach or round the (tiny) pool and in the second week of our holiday we had to get up early and bag a couple of sunloungers under an umbrella. Even at 7am lots of them were taken. And the worst thing is that some people "reserve" one with an umbrella and them don't use it until much later in the day when they've had enough sun - selfish or what! The sunloungers don't have cushions.
The pool is very small, so don't rely on it for swimming in - it's more of a plunge pool.
They have created a lagoon around the beach and the water is fabulous. Very safe swimming, very sandy and a big plus.
If you want to eat in the 'formal' restaurant you must reserve your table. One morning we forgot to do it at breakfast and when my husband went back at 9.30 we were told they were fully booked.
The social director arranged a trip to the rainforest which was fabulous. We saw lots of birds and the guides were both first-rate - we would highly recommend it for a half day or full day. USD$ 50-90 incl lunch.
The hotel also caters for weddings and in the 12 days we were there we saw 4 wedding parties but they were not at all intrusive..
Overall, we had a nice holiday but it didn't have the "wow factor". It was our first holiday to the caribbean and whilst it hasn't put us off trying another island, it has put us off All Inclusive hotels that are filled with UK holiday-makers. We would recommend Tobago if you enjoy good seafood, unspoilt scenery, beaches and birds. The local people we came across were friendly and easy going. If we returned to Tobago we would try a smaller, more international hotel."

• Travel date: Mon 17th of May 2004

Superb time had by all

Good

"Superbly presented hotel. Friendly, helpful and laid back staff. Satisfactory and variable rooms - everyone in our large party was fairly happy. Excellent restautants - with some choice - lots of bbq'd fish! Nice beach and snorkelling area with plenty of tropical fish to view. Varied entertainment every night. Splendid reception and gardens. Everything nice and clean; rooms cleaned twice daily."

• Travel date: Wed 21st of April 2004

Good....but!

"We flew with Virgin Atlantic for a 2 weeks all inclusive holiday at the Coco Reef on 29th March 2004. We booked for a Deluxe Sea View Room and we were put in room 108 which was extremely dark (lights had to be put on at all time), we had a huge palm tree in front of our balcony and we could see a little bit of the sea (so I guess our room was Sea View!!!) and the air conditioning Unit sounded like a car had parked right next to our bed with the engine still running. After two days of that, I complained and we were moved to room 140 with a proper sea view, a proper air conditioning unit and our holiday could start! One thing for sure, the staff are really lovely and friendly and they look after you the best they can. They are very laid back though so when you order drinks, you may have to wait a while to get them. The Hotel is beautiful and the beach absolutely lovely and safe for the kids. Our two children (aged 4 and a half and 2 and a half) had a great time playing there. The Pool might as well not be there, it is so small and outdated. There is a play area with swings and slides (really small one) hiden behind the car park in the front gardens too. A few shops can be found but nothing great and it is a little expensive. The hotel is clean and the gardens are beautiful (although many sharp gardening tolls are often left laying around....we saw a machete left by the side of a wall once). Having gone one week into Easter Break, the first week was not too busy which was great, but became a bit too crowded the second week (we had to get up early to put our towels on a shady spot on the beach on busy days!). Tobagian people celebrate Easter with a Bang and we had a few sleepless nights because of extremely loud music from the beach next door (awake until 6 am was not really nice!). The Beach is nice a shallow, beautiful sand and clear water. You may be a little irritated by the constant Seagulls cries ( I am not joking...there is a colony of seagulls staged on the beach at all time and they are noisy!! They left the beach only once during our 2 weeks stay!) You will need a palm tree or umbrella because the sun is real HOT so choose your sun bed carefully and put some cream on...lots of it! Snorkling is a MUST there. I have never seen such wonderfull sea creatures and you can borrow snorkling stuff from the UnderSea Shop on the beach. If you're game, you can even do some scubba diving at extra cost. You can also borrow, cannoe to go around the beach outside the Hotel. Kids can even borrow buckets and spades and parents can build lovely sand castles! The Accomodation is good (when you get a good room!). Clean and nicely decorated. Bathroom are nice with great soft towels (and towels for the beach too.). Try to get your shower before everyone though, otherwise water pressure is quite low! Rooms are cleaned twice a day sometimes! And when you get a proper sea view, you will witness an amazing sunset every night. The Food is nice in the Bistro but extremely repetitive for Lunch and Dinner. Also you get freshly caught fish barbecued every day...that was perfect with the salad bar! Breakfast is good but after two weeks of it, you kinda are fed up seeing the same stuff served all the time. They serve toasts with butter that is too often rancid. After a couple of days there, we noticed that they even cut the orange juice with water and I complained too...it was back to normal after that! Although sometimes the orange juice taste a bit like a squash type and not freshly squeezed. The other restaurant is more classy with great food. Having small children, we could not go there often enough, but at a little extra cost you can get the food served in your room and it is well worth it! In the Easter week, the Bistro started serving Kids food which was a life saviour for us! Cocktails are lovely although you will get a different cocktail with the same name depending on who is making it! We ventured ourselves to Scarborough but I personally wish I had stayed put. The town is very poor and there is not much to see. I actually felt a bit unsafe there too. A lot of activities are available on the island, you will have to ask the hotel to point you to the right direction. Overhall, this holiday was great but I questioned myself to why this hotel had been voted best hotel of the caraibean. It is good, but in need of a lot of improvement for a 5 stars hotel! One piece of advice though...if you are not happy with something in the hotel, do complain to them (do it nicely!!) and they will make sure you get what you want."

• Travel date: Thu 15th of April 2004

Best hotel on Island

"I had been to Tobago twice before and stayed at Rex Turtle Beach. I was about to book my third visit to Turtle Beach when I met Coco Reefs UK rep at a travel show. She changed my mind and I booked my holiday at Coco Reef and I'm so glad I did. The resort is excellent. The food is fantastic and the staff are friendly and helpfull. The private beach makes all the difference. There are no beach sellers at all. When other hotels are looking drab with dying grass Coco Reef is lush and green with excellent tropical gardens. I will definately be going again."

• Travel date: Mon 5th of April 2004

Grief at the Coco Reef

"Serious overbooking has been taking place for months. Check with your travel company before you depart that the room you have requested is available. Be prepared on arrival to be taken to one side and told there is a small problem with your room, you will be given a welcome drink, a tour of the hotel and the 'don't worry it will only be for a few days' speech. Do not accept the hotel telling you they have a computer problem! They will usually move you after three of four days to the room you have booked. Some of the rooms that are being used are not what you would expect, some give an excellent view of the bin storage area! Don't take it personally you will find it happening to a lot of other guests. The staff are excellent and very friendly, the hotel is very attractive, gardens are lovely, food good. Regulars feel that Hotel is not as good as it use to be. This is down to the owners of the hotel not the local staff. I agree with another reviewer on the early morning patrol to get your towel on a lounger to guarantee some shade."

• Travel date: Sun 28th of March 2004

Relax and enjoy the service but also tour the island

Good

"The Coco Reef hotel and the island of Tobago are ideal for a relaxing holiday rather than an activities based vacation. However, you should take time to tour the many interesting highlights of this tropical paradise, including Argylle Falls & Englisman's Bay.The hotel staff are outstanding in terms of their service and hospitality, mind you I would only look to expolit the AI package if you are holidaying for upto 7 days as any longer and the meal patterns can become monotonous.The Social Director and her team will help you plan your enjoyment of the island and the region in whatever way you would like. During our stay the hotel's support team booked and paid for flight and cricket tickets for us and merely charged those items to our bill thus leaving us with the free time to enjoy our break in the sun.If you are planning to tour the island by taxi ask for Sandy, known as the professor or No 1 as he is adoringly referred to by the locals.We thought the accommodation, location, service and AI package for 7 days represented great value."

• Travel date: Tue 23rd of March 2004

Nice but.....

"A beautiful hotel in a wonderful situation, with hard working friendly staff and gorgeious gardens.

Unfortunately, the hotel was seriously overbooked and we did not get the rooms we had booked several months before. We discovered the same was true for many guests.

To get a shady seat on the beach you have to get up by 7am to put towels on seats.

Tamaras dining room has great food but was often fully booked for dinner by 8.30am. and at breakfast is extemely bisy.

The casual dining menu at Bacchanals lacked much variation was boring after a few days.

Wonderful swimming.

Don't forget your room number. You will be asked for it constantly."

• Travel date: Tue 24th of February 2004

Worst ever

"Can I be the only one with a less than satisfactory experience at Coco Reef?Firstly some rooms are without a balcony, and those put there on arrival soon demand to be moved.Having experience reall All-Inclusive it is a disapointment than when on this package you soon find that only the cheapest of drinks are included.This is a cheapskate attitude on part of the management, and is very annoying when, for example, my unbranded whiskey was all-inclusive but my wife's Tia Maria or Sambucca was extra.There is also no 'bar culture' at this resort. You are expected to sit at table. Staff are quick to take your order, but I lost count of the number of times the order was subsequently forgotten.
Lunch is poor, and rather boring after a few days.Dinner is usually excellent, but again service could be improved. I also lost count of the number of times during a meal we were asked for our room number.A pity that staff are not made to wear name badges.Other than the beach, there is nothing to do. Ideal for a lazy time but if you want activities, or for that matter real All-Inclusive try somewhere else.As far as I am concerned Never again, and to claim to be the best resort in the Caribbean is just a joke."

• Travel date: Thu 19th of February 2004

Not worth the money ☹️

"Very disappointed in room, small, dark, old and the bathroom was nasty. they gave me dingy towels until I complained. I thought I was getting a suite, it was just a room. Not worth $217USD a night, it was more like a motel. Pool was disgusting and workers was also nasty like the hotel. Very over rated ."

• Travel date: Fri 2nd of December 2016

disappointed with room

"Mainly disappointed with the room and staff customer service. The room was smelly, old and in need of major repairs. Took pictures and tried to post them on TripAdvisor to show the poor condition of the room but they were not published. The toilet had ring stains, the shower head and faucets were leaking, the washroom light was very dull and you can't see to shave or put make up on. The floor tiles were disintegrating and it is very slippery. The door room key is extremely odd and difficult to use. The good part was the landscaping and the breakfast. The price we paid was not worth the stay."

• Travel date: Fri 6th of March 2015

Hotels near Coco Reef Tobago

Stayed at Coco Reef Tobago? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Coco Reef Tobago

• keith by keith

"We done the Island tour,the rain forest and the day trip on the cat "

• Gord P by Gord P

"The grounds is where you can get the most of a caribben island "

• Sunshyne by Sunshyne

"Do not stay there it's not worth the money. "

Coco Reef Tobago is also called