About Coco Reef Resort & Spa Tobago

• french amenities
  • spanish amenities

Not the same quality

Reviewed 11 months ago

"I've stayed at Coco Reef twice before over the last six years and loved it every time, except this time. First of all I tried booking them 5 times over the last 5 weeks and was supposed to get an email confirmation to confirm my booking and was never sent one and was told I was booked unless I got that email. My cousins from Trinidad had to finally call on my behalf and escalate it to a Manager 4 days before I arrived before I got a confirmation. At that time, there were no flights to and from Tobago so I had to spend a full day each way on standby to get to and from Tobago from Trinidad. The room was horrible. The hair dryer didnt work, which they replaced when I asked them since it started to smoke. The bed's boxspring was broken. The clothes iron didnt work. When we got maid service they didn't clean the counters etc, only the floor and picked up the garbage. There was a ring around the toilet that was there before we came and looked like it hadn't been cleaned in weeks. Most of the staff seemed to be grumpy. When we smiled at them most had a straight face and didn't smile back. To be honest, this isn't the coco reef I used to know. I even heard a staff member tell another staff member who was making me a drink that she can't wait for today to be over. The staff there are obviously not happy and it shows in the lack of care in the hotel. We won't be coming back. For $250 Canadian a night we rather go somewhere else. I hope things get better at this hotel. It used to be one of my favourites."

• Travel date: Sun 1st of July 2018

Not worth the money ☹️

Reviewed Sat 3rd of December 2016

"Very disappointed in room, small, dark, old and the bathroom was nasty. they gave me dingy towels until I complained. I thought I was getting a suite, it was just a room. Not worth $217USD a night, it was more like a motel. Pool was disgusting and workers was also nasty like the hotel. Very over rated ."

• Travel date: Fri 2nd of December 2016

disappointed with room

Reviewed Mon 9th of March 2015

"Mainly disappointed with the room and staff customer service. The room was smelly, old and in need of major repairs. Took pictures and tried to post them on TripAdvisor to show the poor condition of the room but they were not published. The toilet had ring stains, the shower head and faucets were leaking, the washroom light was very dull and you can't see to shave or put make up on. The floor tiles were disintegrating and it is very slippery. The door room key is extremely odd and difficult to use. The good part was the landscaping and the breakfast. The price we paid was not worth the stay."

• Travel date: Fri 6th of March 2015

What a great holiday

Reviewed Wed 8th of June 2011

"The hotel was clean and the staff were really great.The only fault was that the open air restaurant was to hot and uncomfortable to eat in the evenings.The beach was great and the lagoon was perfect for swimming. "

• Travel date: Mon 6th of June 2011

On top of Tobago being an island of exce...

Reviewed Thu 17th of January 2008

"On top of Tobago being an island of exceptional diversity (rainforests, beaches, diving, hiking, city life), the Coco Reef is one of the best hotels we have ever stayed at. Although maybe classed as traditionally 4 stars, the service, welcome and staff attitudes are in excess of 5 stars.

The hotel has its own private beach which includes an artificial 'harbour reef' which allows snorkelling for all abilities (the equipment is free to hire for all hotel guests).

The food is exceptional. I would recommend that all guests book into the al la Carte restaurant (included within the all inclusive price) - the food is first class. The restaurant does attract residents also so can get booked up - my advice would be to book a table at breakfast time for that evening.

There is entertainment (albeit traditional Caribbean) every night. This does finish early (around 11pm) however after a day on the beach and all of the exceptional food, this was late enough.

We have now visited this hotel twice and would not hesitate to go back. I recommend this to anyone."

• Travel date: Thu 17th of January 2008

Wow! My friend recently got married at C...

Reviewed Mon 24th of September 2007

"Wow! My friend recently got married at Coco reef and what a wedding it was...the resort is clean, the staff are friendly, they looked after the wedding party really well too, and the day was so special for them.

Food was really good - hot food kept hot and cold food kept cold. Staff bring your drinks to you and I would certainly recommend the break - perhaps 2 weeks wasn't long enough?

It has a very romantic setting, its own private beach, location is good enough for a stroll...exchange rates for travellers cheques could be better but it's also next door to a bank - so no problem there really...wonderful!"

• Travel date: Mon 24th of September 2007

We went to Coco Reef to get married. We...

Reviewed Sat 21st of July 2007

"We went to Coco Reef to get married. We travelled with Virgin Atlantic Upper Class. I must say that from start to finish the whole experience was amazing.

We were meant to have a private taxi but this had not been arranged, however the resort was only two minutes away from the airport so we used the shared shuttle.

We were greeted by friendly staff with complementary cocktails, staff carried our bags to our room. Our room was large with fantastic views.

The food was great for us, some said it was repetitive but we thought it was great. We only booked Baschanalls A La Carte Restaurant twice. Once on our wedding night where the theme was us. How amazing, Menus printed with the date and our names and wedding celebration on them for all guests.

Fellow guests bought us bottles of champagne & gifts, there were groups providing entertainment each night for dancing and ambience. We took taxis into Scarborough which were quite cheap.

We would love to go back for a special anniversary."

• Travel date: Sat 21st of July 2007

We stayed at Coco Reef between the 20th...

Reviewed Tue 31st of May 2005

"We stayed at Coco Reef between the 20th and 27th June 2005 and were very happy with what we found there! The deluxe sea view suite we booked was vast and beautifully air conditioned - even though the sea view was a little obscured by the foliage at the edge of out balcony! There was a large TV in the room, which was nice - not that you use a TV that much on vacation.

Food at the hotel is fabulous. We went all inclusive for convenience, usually we end up popping out to local restaurants as buffet can get a bit samey, but this wasn’t the case at Coco Reef at all. The buffet menu was delicious and varied daily, however the real gem is Tamara’s restaurant, which serves what I can only describe as modern Caribbean cuisine. There is a separate menu for Vegetarians, which you can order from each day in advance of your meal – although the main menu had a veggie option every night as well. As I was travelling with a very strict vegetarian this was a fabulous addition. The staff could not have been more friendly or helpful. Nothing was too much trouble.

Fruit ‘kebabs’ and waiter service on the beach was great and the snorkelling in and around the little bay was amazing. There is a PADI dive hut (Undersea Tobago) on the property as well, which offers introductory scuba diving as well as snorkelling trips to nearby reefs. This was a highlight of my trip. The only bit of the hotel that might disappoint is the swimming pool – it is very pretty and clean, but it is very small for the size of the hotel – fortunately it’s not much in demand as the bay is so safe to swim in.

Tobago is a lush green beautiful Island. Don’t just stay in the resort! Be warned – take insect repellent.

• Travel date: Tue 31st of May 2005

Wedding bliss

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"Just returned from Coco Reef where we have just spent two fantastic weeks. On the second week we were married in the hotel gardens. We cannot thank the staff enough for making the occasion so special. Having been to many Caribbean Islands Tobago has to rank as one of the least unspoilt islands as well as being the friendliest."

• Travel date: Thu 10th of June 2004

Don't GO

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"If you are planning on going to Coco Reef don't. That is what I should say, however that is only because I don't want it become too populkar as this place is pure heaven. The hotel serves the most excellent food. Gordon Ramsy watch out. The chef Kenneth is unsurpassed in his culinary skills. The staff are helpful and attentive. This place is certainly not for kids as the spoil the natural quiet ambience of the place. The beach is the best I have been to in the Caribbean. The snorkelling is safe and the variety of fish is unbelievable. Anybody that comes away from the Coco reef complaining needs to get a life and go to Pontins or centre parks instead. OK the time to get served can be a little tiresome but hey you are on holiday chill out relax this is caribbean time don't forget. If you want to tour the island and get the local view ask for the Professor(Mr Sandy).

If at all possible ask for a ground floor apartment in the 200 range of room numbers as the heat on a night can get a bit difficult on the top floor. Don't worry about the sea view from your room, you won't do much in your room apart from the bed and shower as the grounds and beach are the place to be. Tobago is one of the few unspoilt islands in the world it's safe the locals are friemdly as they rely purely on tourism for their income.

All inclusive is the best option, you can always go out to some of the excellent restaurants but Coco Reef has the best food.

We have already booked our return trip and we only got back home today"

• Travel date: Sat 29th of May 2004

England in the Caribbean

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"The review from Brighton in April titled "Good...but" is pretty accurate.
When we arrived our room wasn't ready, but after about an hour's wait we were given our room. Ground floor, partial view of the sea but good size, with a patio and light until about 6.30pm. It turned out to be one of the quieter areas of the complex too (rooms 110 - 130).
You get fresh beach towels each day in your room so no need to take any with you. It is a big pain that there aren't enough sun loungers with shade on the beach or round the (tiny) pool and in the second week of our holiday we had to get up early and bag a couple of sunloungers under an umbrella. Even at 7am lots of them were taken. And the worst thing is that some people "reserve" one with an umbrella and them don't use it until much later in the day when they've had enough sun - selfish or what! The sunloungers don't have cushions.
The pool is very small, so don't rely on it for swimming in - it's more of a plunge pool.
They have created a lagoon around the beach and the water is fabulous. Very safe swimming, very sandy and a big plus.
If you want to eat in the 'formal' restaurant you must reserve your table. One morning we forgot to do it at breakfast and when my husband went back at 9.30 we were told they were fully booked.
The social director arranged a trip to the rainforest which was fabulous. We saw lots of birds and the guides were both first-rate - we would highly recommend it for a half day or full day. USD$ 50-90 incl lunch.
The hotel also caters for weddings and in the 12 days we were there we saw 4 wedding parties but they were not at all intrusive..
Overall, we had a nice holiday but it didn't have the "wow factor". It was our first holiday to the caribbean and whilst it hasn't put us off trying another island, it has put us off All Inclusive hotels that are filled with UK holiday-makers. We would recommend Tobago if you enjoy good seafood, unspoilt scenery, beaches and birds. The local people we came across were friendly and easy going. If we returned to Tobago we would try a smaller, more international hotel."

• Travel date: Mon 17th of May 2004

Superb time had by all

Reviewed Thu 29th of November 2012

"Superbly presented hotel. Friendly, helpful and laid back staff. Satisfactory and variable rooms - everyone in our large party was fairly happy. Excellent restautants - with some choice - lots of bbq'd fish! Nice beach and snorkelling area with plenty of tropical fish to view. Varied entertainment every night. Splendid reception and gardens. Everything nice and clean; rooms cleaned twice daily."

• Travel date: Wed 21st of April 2004

Hotels near Coco Reef Resort & Spa Tobago

Top traveller tips for Coco Reef Resort & Spa Tobago

• keith by keith

"We done the Island tour,the rain forest and the day trip on the cat "

• Gord P by Gord P

"The grounds is where you can get the most of a caribben island "

• Sunshyne by Sunshyne

"Do not stay there it's not worth the money. "

Coco Reef Resort & Spa Tobago is also called