Standard Room with Double Beds

Good

Very Pricey....but perfect location and great service!!

Reviewed 13th February 2013

"Stayed here over carnival, so thought that the rooms were way overpriced. The rooms were basic and clean. The location however was perfect within walking distance to the Savannah! The service was fabulous with the staff bending over backwards to accommodate us! The breafast option was varied, with western as well as local cuisine available."

• Travel date: 10th March 2009

What a nice surprise

Good
Reviewed 12th February 2013

"Having read the reviews of this hotel, I was left expecting the worst, but a what nice surprise the hotel turned out to be!! Stayed during carnival (so was pretty pricey) and only room available was a 'Superior Room' and found it to be very comfortable and clean. The room was decorated in natural colours and well furnished. The housekeeping staff kept the room very clean and tidy and in general found the majority of staff very friendly, helpful and pleasant. Found them to be very knowledgeable about the local area and the events for carnival. The hotel is well located for the annual carnival, is walking distance to Savanah Queen's park. The food in the restuarant was very disappointing, went expecting to taste the local food, but instead got 'Chinese'!!"

• Travel date: 2nd March 2009

The Kapok is Extraordinary!

Reviewed 9th February 2013

"This was our second time at the Kapok. The rooms are large and clean; the beds are very comfortable; the location is ideal; and the food at Tiki Village and Bois Cano is good and reasonably priced. The decor may not be everyone's taste, yet it is not meant to be 80's kitsch, but rather reflective of the ancestry of the owners, and Polynesian-themed. Other plusses include complimentary buffet beakfast with fresh, local fruit and pastries; superb cocktails served poolside; free high-speed which is very reliable; and a level of friendliness and service we have not experienced at some of the best hotels in Canada and the US. Highly recommend this hotel."

• Travel date: 8th December 2008

Ok hotel

Reviewed 31st January 2013

"The rooms were very basic but clean and comfortable. The hotel offers two restaurants which were very good. They even have a wine and jazz night. The hotel is in a good location. I would stay here again."

• Travel date: 14th October 2008

Worst hotel I have stayed in for a long time!

Reviewed 27th December 2012

"It is about three years since I have been in PofS and last time I stayed at the Hilton. At that time the Kapok was the other recommended hotel so this time I thought I would give it a go, what a mistake! Things did not start well when I was given a smoking room. Normally I can tolerate this if it is just for one or two nights but this room STANK! It smelt like nothing in it had been cleaned since the hotel was built. My replacement room smelled sweeter but that was not saying much. The rooms and corridors where grubby and threadbare. The aircon was old and rattly and fairly inneficiant. Attitude of the staff was generally of indifference. I was staying two nights and if i had been staying longer I would have found another hotel for the second night. On my second night the main bar was closed for a private function, this just left the chinese restaurant as an option. Luckily i found a very good sports bar (Trotters) nearby and had a burger and beer there."

• Travel date: 31st October 2007

Average Hotel that simply served a purpose

Reviewed 28th December 2012

"I stayed at the Kapok on weekends whilst working in nearby Grenada following Hurricane Ivan. It was basically an R & R destination where we simply rested. The Hotel itself is old and rooms very dated. The restaurant and bar are good and staff very accommodating. The pool was good and its not far from town centre although I only went in to Tony Roma's for dinner and basically just hung out at the hotel. The Kapok certainly would be a great stop for tourists but for a business traveller passing through its fine. Actually Trinidad itself isnt really a tourist destination and it isnt really geared for it at all."

• Travel date: 27th October 2007

Mostly awful

Reviewed 26th December 2012

"The Kapok Hotel is large hotel located in the St. Clair area of Port of Spain. It is 10 minutes from downtown and about thirty minutes from the airport. The area of the hotel is very nice. It reminds me a bit of Southern California with upper class strip malls etc. It is right next to Queen's Park Savanna. The rooms are rather large with somewhat comfortable beds. We stayed in a standard with a king.The decor is god awful. It's a strange southeast asia look mixed with a tacky 80's hotel print. For the most part the staff is surly and not very helpful. It seemed that if you were there on business they treated you as royalty but would blatantly ignore my girlfriend and I. The hotel charges very high rates for roomservice, internet use, (if you have a laptop it is free. Using their computer lounge cost us $30 TT for ten minutes. Normal islannd prices are $20 TT for an hour.) and just about everything else. The Tiki lounge has the same terrible decor with very mediocre southeast asian food. The service was some of the worst I have had anywhere in this hemisphere. The Bois Cano lounge is the higlight of the entire hotel. It is a small bar/lounge with tasteful decor and a fabulous staff. Carla, the head bartender, took care of us every night. She was one of the best bartenders I've seen anywhere! I would recommend the Bois Cano to anyone visiting the city. Basically if you are traveling to POS on business, have a big corporate spending budget, and like horrible Tiki/80's design Kapok is for you. If you are looking for anything else, stay away. I'd recommend the Coblentz for leisure and the Mariott for business."

• Travel date: 20th September 2007

Decent place in Port of Spain

Reviewed 22nd December 2012

"I had to go to Port of Spain for a project this month. My client recommended Kapok due to their negotiated rate. Kapok is a Golden Tulip member hotel. I was easily able to get a cab from the airport for $25. The first appearance was of an older 8 story hotel with a polynesian design located on a busy street. Initially I was put in a room with a balcony that butted up against the elevator bank. I requested to be moved and was put in a smaller room without a balcony, but away from the elevator. The room was decent sized with a king bed, internet, coffee pot and fairly standard amenities. The internet worked intermittently, and this seems to be an issue with the web in general in Trinidad. Even a fast connection was only reasonable if you are used to speedy connections. The bed was comfortable and the room stayed cool despite the 90 degree temperatures outside. It was a bit noisy since I was right above the street. Many times I noticed loud music from passing vehicles and other loud engines. If you stay, request a room on the interior side of the building. All in all, the room was satisfactory. It provides some local flavor and is reasonably located ($10 cab ride from downtown). Our corporate rate was $130. However, my next stay will probably be at the Courtyard Marriott simply because of reward points and internet connectivity. We also ate at the restaurant (Tiki I believe) on the 8th floor. It offers nice views of the ocean and has local food. It was a decent meal. It is a nice place to have a drink and enjoy a very polynesian experience."

• Travel date: 17th August 2007

Good Location, Bit Overpriced

Reviewed 28th November 2012

"My husband and I stayed at Kapok Hotel during April 10-13, 2007 inclusive. The room was okay, but for the price you pay you sort of expected more. However, the staff at all levels were very pleasant and made us feel welcome throughout our stay. The pool was okay and quite relaxing. The food and the view at the Tikki Village restaurant is fantastic, however, the price of the Buffet is a bit steep for the selection you get. The hotel's location is within walking distance to quite a few places of interest. I would recommend this hotel."

• Travel date: 16th April 2007

Overpriced but ok

Reviewed 18th November 2012

"Just stayed at the Kapok for a 5 day business trip, it's ok but at about £100 per night in my opinion over priced. The rooms are basic but clean, pool and gym poor, internet access good but expensive, food, location ok, some staff really friendly and helpful while others not so so basically an acceptable but pricey business hotel, would recommend it over the Hilton and Crowne Plaza but Marriot is way better."

• Travel date: 23rd November 2006

Decent POS hotel

Reviewed 26th November 2012

"Kapok is an older hotel, but pretty well maintained (much better maintained than the Crowne Plaza, similar quality to Hilton). It's a nice location, short walking distance to Queen's Park Savannah, a decent shopping center (bank, bookshop, pharmacy, fast food), and the colonial mansions. Excellent restaurants within 15-20 minute walk (Apsara Indian, Tamnak Thai, and Battimamzelle - some of the best food on offer in POS). It's about 20 minutes to reach downtown, but most visitors/tourists probably don't want to stay downtown. Taxis readily available. Rooms are clean and spacious, though decor is dated. In-room safe, hair dryer, ironing board. Hi-Speed internet available for about US$12/day - good, reliable connection. Decent cable TV. No mini-bar or refrigerator. Staff is friendly and generally efficient. Two on-site restaurants are decent. Great views over the Savannah from restaurant at top of hotel. Breakfast is included and adequate (cereal, tropical fruit, toast, coffee, & juices - also hot foods available for order). Until the new Hyatt opens up across from the Crowne Plaza, this is one of the best options. Like all hotels in POS, it seems quite over-priced for what you get."

• Travel date: 15th November 2006

Nothing special but adequate for a short visit

Reviewed 4th November 2012

"This is one of the older hotels in Port-of-Spain, located in a pleasant section of Port-of-Spain, adjacent to a large park and approximately 10 minutes (in good traffic -- 30 minutes in heavy traffic) from the commercial center of the city. Taxis are readily available and there is an upscale shopping plaza within a 5-minute walk from the hotel. The Kapok has a small, secluded, but otherwise quite pleasant outdoor pool area, shops, and a small business center. In-room cabled "high-speed" internet service is available for US $11.95 per day, based on a service day that begins at noon. The reception staff were friendly and welcoming -- even at 2:00 a.m. when we arrived. The reservation was in order. They put us in a clean, but smelly, smoking room, when we had specified non-smoking. However, they realized their mistake, telephoned our room within two minutes of our entering it, and sent a staff member to our room to take us to the correct one. The Kapok is undergoing renovation. The renovated rooms are large, clean, and well furnished. The hotel has added a second "panoramic" elevator. Amenities could be improved. A US$ 200 room should include a full bathtub (not just a shower) and in-room coffee. Service is mediocre. Housekeeping service, for example, ends at noon on Sunday. Room service is reasonably priced, but pitiful in terms of presentation of the tray (no condiments, for example) and unreasonably slow. It took room service 40 minutes to pour and deliver two bowls of soup. When we asked for bread with the soup, we received two slices of cold toast without butter. The included continental breakfast is adequate in terms of quality of the food (with a limited offering of fresh fruit, cold cereals, and breads), but disappointing in terms of the variety. Service at breakfast was friendly, but not always attentive. One word of caution when checking in. If you use a debit card, ask to know the amount that is preauthorized. The hotel will place a 150% preauthorization freeze on your account, based on expected length of stay. This is unusually high in my experience in this region. When paying $200 (including taxes) per night for a room, it is highly unlikely that one would spend another $100 in the restaurant. Checkout with reasonably efficient, the bill was accurate, and the taxi that we had ordered was waiting for us."

• Travel date: 12th September 2006

Hotels near Kapok Hotel

Kapok Hotel is also called

• kapok hotel port of spain
  • kapok hotel