Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort

About Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort

• sauna
  • swimup bar

Good

Had a lovely week sipping cocktails, eat...

Reviewed 26th May 2008

"Had a lovely week sipping cocktails, eating great food and exploring the island. The hotel runs on Caribbean time so things get done eventually but the majority of the staff were lovely especially if you were polite and courteous to them then they repaid in kind. A lovely holiday for the pair of us - couple of good night's entertainment too! The hotel is being refurbed so a bit of banging at night but it's a nice play to stay and the spa treatments are a nice way to break up the day!"

• Travel date: 26th May 2008

Fantastic Island, just the right locatio...

Reviewed 29th May 2007

"Fantastic Island, just the right location for a relaxed honeymoon, staff at hotel were wonderful. Lovely clean hotel. Although looking a bit worn it is going through a major refurb this year. The spa was excellent having a different treatment every day. Beach is accessed via stairs and across a small service road so wouldn't recommend this hotel to the less able. Food plentiful and mostly local traditional dishes. Nightly entertainment of traditional dancers, singers etc. Reception staff couldn't do enough to help you. A must is a visit to Pigeon Point Beach, its pure white sands and clear blue waters are superb, also enjoy a trip on the glass bottom boat, and beach bbq where the rum punch flows throughout the day. The hotel is in Black Rock and across the road about a 5 minute w3alk is a wonderful restaurant called The Pavilion the food is delicious. Also Grafton bird sanctuary is close by."

• Travel date: 29th May 2007

Wonderful, peaceful holiday

Reviewed 26th November 2012

"My husband and I had tried to change our booking after reading the negative reviews and were most distressed when everywhere was full. After our return from a wonderful holiday there has not been a day gone by that we do not wish we were still there drinking rum punches by the pool and chatting to Solange one of the delightful house staff. We had a problem with our air conditioning and were immedaitely given an alternative room and the problem fixed within 24 hours. The canapes were a lovely touch in the evening and the food varied, well cooked with many flavours. The beauty treatments were administered professionally and the facial was the best I had ever had(believe me I have had a few). The treatments are already booked for you but if you speak to the staff at your earliest convenience they will endevour to change them if you are not happy. The sea water is clear and clean however the sand is not golden, if you want the picture postcard go to Pigeon Point. The hotel was very quiet and the attentiveness and friendliness of the staff may change when are under more pressure but we could not find fault with anything. We will certainly recommend and go back again."

• Travel date: 21st April 2004

Just got back

Reviewed 8th October 2012

"If you've already booked, don't feel downhearted because of the few bad reviews. Everything at the hotel is of a very good standard. We had a really good time. Most of the Guests are British and there's much socialising. Tobago is a very unspoilt Island that grows and grows on you. Don't miss out on a trip to Pigeon Point - a beautiful coral sand beach and lagoon, with all the facilities for a great day out (cost $3 to get in, $10 for a sunbed)"

• Travel date: 17th March 2004

Fantastic Hotel, We Will Be Back!

Reviewed 26th November 2012

"As with the other guests, we tried to move hotels after reading the terrible reviews, but with no success. We normally only stay in five star hotels and were extremely worried that we would have a bad time, but after arriving we found the hotel to be excellent. The rooms were large, clean and we had everything that we needed. The staff were wonderful and tried their best to make our stay memorable. We booked a deluxe garden view room which had a large comfortable bed, dressing table with a small fridge inside, a small table and two chairs. We were never disturbed at night by other guests and found that we slept better there than at home. There is a nightly turn down service and your beach towels are replaced every night, plus if you want your ice bucket refilled, the staff are happy to do this for you. Food was served most of the time in the two restaurants and it was only on certain nights in the main restaurant that a Buffet option was offered. The food was very good, and any food that was on display was kept covered at all times. There was a good selection on offer including Shrimp, chicken and fresh fish. Yes, there are chickens on the property, but this is the way of life in Tobago (every house seems to have them) and they kept out of the way in the garden. Our only complaint would be the lack of sun shades, but get out there early and you won't have a problem. I didn't find any broken sunbeds or umbrellas, so the hotel must have replaced them. The drinks were great..try the Tobago Mudslide and the Coconut Tree Climber. If you do want to drink bottled water, small bottles are on sale in one of the small shops on the hotel property, but if you take a small walk (about 10 minutes away) you will find a small store that sells basic items including water, canned drinks etc. We drank the hotels water and had no problems at all. We had a fantastic time, Tobago really must be seen... don't miss out on the rainforest, Englishman's Bay or the Nylon Pool, if you want to find a little paradise, Tobago is the place.."

• Travel date: 10th March 2004

Best Holiday Yet!!

Reviewed 3rd November 2012

"After reading the last two reviews on this hotel we tried to change our reservation - without success! But how glad I am that we didn't. "The grand" as it's known locally was brilliant. Wonderful staff, food, setting and atmosphere. Meals in both the a la carte and bistro restaurants were of a standard you'd expect at a top UK restaurant. Drinks were plentiful and not just restricted to local brands. The coconut tree climber was lethal!! Staff in the hotel and spa couldn't do enough for us. But I think that largely depends on how you treat them! So to anybody who's been put off by some of these scathing reviews, DON'T. Le Grand Courlan Spa is tremendous...and so is Tobago."

• Travel date: 2nd March 2004

Honeymoon from hell

Reviewed 3rd November 2012

"One word to describe the hotel/island! HORRIBLE. This was suppose to be a romantic honeymoon, but turned out to be a disaster. We had to wait 1 hour to even get to our disaster of a room. It was filthy with a green slim growing in the "jacuzzi" if you want to call a sess pool that. The food, YUCK!!! There were bugs all over the buffet and all tasted the same. The staff was utterly rude. Do not even get me started on the so called "spa." They had no oils/scents. They were angry when people would show up for their treatments. After two days my husband and I high tailed it out of there. We stayed at the Hilton instead. I have been to many 4/5 star hotels, how the Le Grand Courlan could be allowed to do such false advertising is a crime. I would never recommend this hotel. In fact, I cannot believe that anyone would. If you do not mind a dirty room, bad food, laying in broken chairs with human waste running right by next to you, well than I guess you would enjoy this trip. Otherwise, stay out of Tobago altogether. Until they can get a handle on keeping a constant water supply to the island visit somewhere else. Do not go through what we did on our honeymoon!!!!!!!!!!"

• Travel date: 18th January 2004

dissapointing

Reviewed 15th November 2012

"We visited the Grand Courlan Spa for our Honeymoon in October 2003. a majority of the staff were friendly but service was slow. The spa treatments were badly organized you could not choose the treatments and they were often cancelled and the therapist were not qualified. I had a facial and had my skin burnt by the neat pepermint oil used. The thereapist was not even apologetic and very rude I was not offerd any first aid until complaining to the hotel reception and was then told not to go outside for the rest of my stay .This was my second faciial with the first being fine. We had our room changed as the first room had a lovely view of a chicken wire fence and a cockrel coming into our room within the first ten minuets. The room they changed us to was of a much better location. There was a good variety of food but the food in the main resturant was often cold as it was buffet style. A majority of the sunbeds were broken and there were not enough umbrellas the beach was dirty with stray dogs and outlets of what I can only think was sewage.To put the icing on the cake the pool was closed for two days as it was being cleaned(was very dirty). A very disappointing standard of a four star hotel although the Island was beautiful I agree with the comment that the courlan was once Grand."

• Travel date: 12th January 2004

Great Hotel, Excellent Holiday

Reviewed 8th October 2012

"Probably like everyone else who has read any comments on Le Grand Courlan you've probably got quite a mixed impression.....let me tell you how it is!.Just spent 10 days at the hotel from 15th -25th October 2003 and can i say that i was very pleasantly surprised. Firstly the hotel isn't like your Hilton's, where they are massive and extremely elegant, what you have a very intimate and accommodating hotel, which makes you feel very welcome and your every need is catered for.As soon as you enter the reception you are presented with a fruit cocktail, which is quite a nice touch, then when checking in you are presented with your Spa cards, which already has about 4 pre-arranged spa treatments which you can change, but to be honest it's kind of nice to have your treatments at various times throughout the days, however if you so wish you can change them. As i said they book 4 days in advance but it's up to you to book the rest at times which suit you (if you so wish). However the treatments were excellent, and you must as a big Hi to Sarah and Leenora....The rooms are very spacious with Queen size bed, bathroom, Hairdryer tv (with loads of Sky channels), loads of hanging space and confortable chairs and tables.There is no need to take your own towels as each day they give you 2 towels (1 per person) and they collect them later during the evening. There is sufficient loungers and parasols to go around so don't worry. A nice touch is the chef entree which they bring around to your room at about 18:00 - 19:00, a small selection of food which is always tasty.At about 20:00 someone actually comes in and turns your bed down, which i've never experienced before!....novelty factor eh!.As for the Hotel and Restaurants there are 2 places to eat in the Hotel, there is the main restaurant called the Pinnacle, where unfortunately if i was to have any complaints would be the fact that blokes for breakfast and lunch have to wear t-shirts (with sleeves), not without!, and for Dinner they must wear shirts (with collars), Trousers (not Tailored Shorts) and no trainers or open toed sandles!. Where as women on the other hand can virtually where what the hell they like.....little unfair, but i suppose they are trying to set a standard!.The other restaurant is the Bistro, which is only open for Dinner. At both places you have to book for dinner and if you wanna eat at the Bistro, then book up early as there isn't much seating. Both meaus are very alluring and i'm sure that you wont be disappointed with the selection of food.The swimming pool is quite a fair size and the pool bar is good, the beer is Carib and Stag. If you like a crisp taste the Carib it is, Stag is a bit more like your Wife Beater (Stella)... Was well impressed that all Premium branded spirits are included in the all-inclusive, so it's your proper Johnnie Walker, Ron Bacardi and Bailey's....nice!. Cocktails are a bit lethal....had a few drunk nights on the old Tobagan Sunsets and Landslides!! whhhaaa baby!!If you see Donney Walcott the bar man give him a big up and tell him Phil (big guy) says hi!!, he'll remember who i am!.There is also a games room with a pool table, table football and the smallest air hockey table i have ever seen, still after a few Carib's it all adds to the novelty factor!The beach isn't all that, and the loungers are a bit pants, due to the fact that the area is called 'Black Rock' could be cos there are large black rocks in the sea, der!!. However the snorkelling is really nice, all free including the kayakes.You can also use the facilities at the sister hotel next door at the Grafton. They have 2 squash courts, but take your own equipment. However if you like playing squash in a sauna then you'll be ok. Le Grand Courlan has 2 floodlite tennis courts if you want to part take in some more rigoruos exercise!.Recommend going to Pigeon Point. It's only a 20 minute cab ride away and will cost 120 TT (Trinidad and Tobagan $), which in £ is about £12. If yuo like golf you'll be able to get a free round at Mount Irvine golf course, literally just down the road, or at the Tobgan Hilton (very nice, believe Mr Tiger Woods plays there!)As for entertainment, you could try Divers Den or Sunday School, local places but you do get a mix of people.The Tobagan people are very friendly and i didn't feel threatened at all, infact, very safe....Take some insect repleant as those nasty little mosquitos are ever present!.All in all, the hotel is very nice, the pool is good, the rooms excellent, the food excellent (albeit for some rules on clothing) and the beach is ok.I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a friendly, welcoming hotel which is a good 4 star hotel where your every need is catered for, although i believe in 2004 it's gonna be an over 16years old hotel as there isn't much in the way of entertainment for them.....Enjoy Le Grand Courlan Resort and Spa you lucky people!. Any questions, give us a shout!.See yaPhil"

• Travel date: 29th October 2003

Needs updating

Reviewed 8th December 2012

"I returned this morning from Tobago. This hotel is very tired and in need of major refurbishment. Yes the rooms are large and clean but the bathrooms are looking old. I am sure there is some chrome lurking under the taps! The gym is advertised as state of the art however the aircon was broken and you spend half your time adding and removing weights from the archaic machines. No CV machines or water. My wife tells me the beauty treatments were awful and she stopped going 5 days into our fortnight holiday. She said the staff seemed disappointed if she appeared for her treatment and the therapists had no enthusiasm during the sessions- which averaged 15 minutes! I swapped my treatments for 10 dives and enjoyed the trips. The staff were friendly and experienced but again the equipment was poor. (Divers take your own kit which will also save you US$10 a day rental). The beach is dirty and has two large pipes running some sort of fluid into the sea. It looks toxic and smells like sewage. The pool is nice but it is a gamble to find a bed or umbrella which is not broken. It closed for 1 1/2 days without any explanation. I thought the food was good and the menu varied. They were short staffed which explained the many buffet evenings. Evening entertainment was poor. I played tennis with a local pro. The rackets had no grip, the balls no fur and the two courts were uneven. The staff were generally friendly, with a couple of exceptions, and in the end we had a nice holiday. I befriended a local resident who agreed with my assessment and offered an explanation that the owner is a businessman not a hotelier. People reading this may be saying "This is Tobago and tourism is still relatively new so visitors should be patient and tolerant" I agree, but this hotel is advertised as something it is not. Would I recommend it to others? Yes, if you get a good deal and want to dive every day. Do not expect luxury or pampering spa treatments. Good food, average rooms, average/poor facilities, average service, good diving. I have stayed in many 4/5 star hotels which this is most definitely not."

• Travel date: 23rd October 2003

Wonderful Holiday

Reviewed 15th November 2012

"My husband and I spent 2 weeks at Le Grand Courlan from 22 September 2003. The rooms are very large, the staff are very friendly and helpful, the food whilst often buffet was always varied and it was always easy to find something we liked. The cocktails were excellent. The spa treatments very good, we found the staff very proficient and it was always possible to change our treatments if necessary. They occasionally suffered from being understaffed. The swim up bar was a nice feature, there were plenty of sunbeds, although more sun umbrellas would be good. The beach is very close. A good location, a beautiful hotel. It needs a little refurbishment in places, but nothing major. People must remember that when in the caribbean life is leisurely. Tobago is small and not a sophisticated island. The people were friendly and we certainly felt perfectly safe outside the hotel. We certainly recomment this hotel."

• Travel date: 23rd October 2003

I will always go back

Reviewed 8th December 2012

"I wanted a change as I've visited this hotel before I checked into to CoCo Reef and checked out the following day. Le Grand is a lovely resort with a few minor problems that can be dealt with. We brits must remember we are on hols to relax and unwind. I found the behaviour of some brits was terrible towards the staff they loved to be waited on and as soon as they had to wait the would be very abusive, I no for a fact if the tables where turned, they would be ask them to leave the premises, they are lovely people on bad wages treat them with a bit of dignity. I found the resort very relaxing and not to many old age pensioners The main pool is very clean and has a swim up bar entertainment average if you want a bit of action go to sunday school for a good boggy.The food is average unless you have something cooked for you otherwise it's buffet every other day cocktails are just great overall a nice resort I found that on some occassions at the bar it was under staffed and you we were kept waiting the settings are mind blowing the rooms are a great size and clean you have a beach which is 2min walk very safe country no one bothers you on the beach"

• Travel date: 15th October 2003

Hotels near Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort

Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort is also called

• Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort Hotel
  • le grand courlan hotel
  • le grand courlan