Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort

• fax photocopying
  • outdoor furniture
  • secured parking
  • snack bar
  • sun loungers beach chairs
  • kids meals
  • special diet menus
  • swimup bar
  • board games puzzles
  • picnic area
  • private check in check out
  • private beach
  • snorkeling amenities
  • books dvds music for children
  • evening entertainment
  • karaoke

Good

Would definitely stay again

Reviewed Tue 17th of July 2018

"We had a great time staying at Tropikist in June and it exceeded our expectations as a 3* hotel. Friendly helpful staff. Wonderful pool with a waterfall and bar. Great location and really unspoilt area. Tobago is a good destination and we would go again."

• Travel date: Wed 1st of August 2018

definately will stay here again

Reviewed Fri 25th of October 2013

"My trip to Tobago was a one day escape from Trinidad and I'm so happy I chose to stay at the Tropikist hotel! I arrived at 12pm and was allowed to ck in right away instead of waiting by the pool for the reg 3pm ck in time. The room I got (85) was on the second floor, had a great view and was very spacious and clean. The staff were very friendly to me and gave advice on the price of the Bucco Reef Tours prices so I won't be ripped off. The staff kept busy all day preparing the restaurants and cleaning up. I especially commend the bartenders gary and junior who looked out for me and were so kind to me. I paid the $300 extra to get a late check out on Tuesday and was so happy I did. The resort was quiet, well maintained and I felt very safe. I will definitely be staying at the Tropikist again! "

• Travel date: Wed 16th of October 2013

never going there again

Reviewed Sun 15th of April 2012

"first of all,i must say the location,and landscaping of the hotel is excellent,the rooms are average,clean but you can tell its old.we paid $8000 for 2 rooms inclusive of breakfast and dinner,our 1st and only dinner, my husband and father in law,ordered johnny walker and black & white scotch,only to be told 15mins after they dont have those they only have mc arthurs,,so we made a suggestion that on a busy wknd like this they should have catered to everyone's needs,linda(a dinner staff,who was not serving us)came over an said in a very rude tone, "we dont serve top chef dinner an liquor,if u wanted that u should have gone to coco reef or hilton",breakfast was really poor,my husband and i waited almost an hour on 2 mornings just to get eggs,,,when asked what was the keep back no one had answers,,,food,even though it tasted ok,was basic,not much variety,,,so my mother in law who is vegetarian didnt have much to choose from so we ate dinners elsewhere on the other evenings,even though our dinners were paid for,,,management needs to step up and improve its staff,because nobody seems to know what it going at this hotel,the clerk at the front desk,all she says is "its not my fault,i just work in the front" we requested to have a late check out,and were told we couldnt,,,upon checking out,had we nt scrutinize our drinks bills for the dinner,we would have paid for stuff we didnt even drink,,,they billed us for the black and white we ordered even though we didnt get it an for 7 fruit punches when my 9 yr old niece only had 1,,,,i personally think with proper management this hotel can make it,,,bt if it continues the way it is,its going to become run down once again"

• Travel date: Sun 15th of April 2012

Just do it

Reviewed Thu 10th of September 2009

"As the popular commercial says...just do it..my family was a bit hesitant to book with the Tropikist after reading some of the reviews on some of the other sites (like tripadvisor) but once we checked out all the other review sites the reviews weren't half bad, so we decided to give it a shot. Lets be honest here..
1) The outside of the hotel..seriously needs updating, painting over and get rid of that clump of bush at the entrance that is an eye=sore.
2) The reception staff were very friendly and accommodating ( I have to admit i know Ram the manager )
3) The entire compound is really nice, well laid out and well maintained.
4) A plus for the pools, fantastic..
5) The food was good, wide selection for breakfast, we did not expect that from a budget hotel, but that was really a plus.
6) The room was really spacious and nice, (room 107) enough for my family, had a large washroom ( don't know how people complain about the size of the washroom)

Overall..I enjoyed my stay and ram..you're always a hard working individual, keep it up. it was nice seeing you again, now I know where you're at.."

• Travel date: Fri 4th of September 2009

Fun in the sun

Reviewed Tue 8th of September 2009

"I have decided to write a review on Tropikist as this is one of those quaint family type hotels that are usually taken advantage of.
To begin with yes the place is run down and requires a desperate paint job, the owners needs to pump some money into this hotel. That aside the manager and staff do a fantastic job of running this hotel on a shoestring budget.
I spent a couple hours speaking to it's general manager, sam, and really got to know this gentleman. He is a highly qualified man and would do better working at any other establishment.The staff is always willing to help and nothing is too much for them, please treat them with respect, they are people too, dont expect to be treated with respect if YOU dont show them any.
The room was spacious and comfortable, cleaned each day and we had clean towels to use, most important, most hotels now dont service your rooms daily unless you request it.
The food was very good cant fault them..I have found a new place of vacation in tobago and that home is called....Tropikist...

• Travel date: Thu 3rd of September 2009

I took my family on a short vacation, ve...

Reviewed Mon 11th of August 2008

"I took my family on a short vacation, very short vacation to Tobago and we decided on staying at the Tropikist as their packages being offered for this period was really a steal of a deal and so we were sold on it. When we arrived we were informed that check in time was 3pm (which we knew) but they would try and accommodate us with a room if it was avaiable. We were asked to have a seat and wait a few minutes after all the paper work was completed and they actually did have a room ready for us. The room was just outside the pool, and the children loved the pool, just as your website described it..it is truly a pleasure to sit and relax in the pool all day. The pool closes at 6pm but we were told that we could stay at our own risk, and we did stay until the sun had set. The food was good, it made us feel like home, lots of home cooking food and hot soups nightly, breakfast was good too. We really liked the ambience and well we had the opportunity to meet the famous hotel manager. I can see why he is this famous. The guy works like 18 hours a day, and always has a smile..he is like the energizer bunny !!

The hotel served dinner early which was a good thing for the children as it worked out well for us. For our first visit we were impressed with the service as we read a lot of negative reports about the service and we found it great..a little more work and they would have a five star service......well the manager already gives a 7 star service.....keep it it !!!"

• Travel date: Mon 11th of August 2008

I would try to be as honest and consutru...

Good
Reviewed Fri 1st of August 2008

"I would try to be as honest and consutructive as I can with my review. Firstly , we stayed 14 nights all-inclusive at the Tropikist, and I must tell you, we were worried that staying 14 nights would be a bore after reading some of the reviews of the hotel, but it turned out to be great. There is not much one can do at the hotel as there isnt a game or sitting room, the manager -sam - assured that a games room is in the works, and they would be looking into setting up games by september. That would be good as when the rain falls (and we did have a couple of days of rain) there isnt anything to do. The staff at the hotel are all really nice and the manager is really helpful, always willing to assist in what ways you can, arranging tours, rental even giving weather updates if you ask him, nothing is a problem for him.
The hotel really needs updating, a fresh coat of bright paint would do wonders, the setting is fantastic though. The rooms (we had a standard room) was nice and spacious, but the floor is tiled so its always slippery, a floor mat would work well, although they give you bath mats - floor mats would help - by the door.
We found the restaurant and bar to be ok, the menu is rotated weekly, so some days the food do get boring, but whilst we were there it did not run out, or we was never turned away. The bar was always stocked or would offer us alternatives ( but we only drank beers, I loved my cocktails)
This hotel is great for families ( it is not handicapped friendly) there was a handicap couple staying and it was difficult for them, but the staff tried to assist in what way they could. Thats the thing, the staff always seemed to be offering to assist, all of them, yes they are laid back, but once you approach them in a nice way they are willing to go out of their way to please you.
I witnessed a confrontation between the restaurant manager and a roudy guest and the hotel manager - sam- stepped in and handled it very professionaly. It should not have started in the first place, if the restaurant manager had handled it differently, but the staff ralied behind the manager and it was nice to see that sort os support given.
Overall it was nice, have an open mind, and at least smile with the staff, I saw where people told the staff it was their birthday, anniversary etc and the manager organised decorated rooms, birthday cakes, wines etc..it was really nice because no one was expecting such, and that shows you how down to earth the staff is at the hotel. Of course if you show them attitude of course they would make faces at you, but we found our stay enjoyable, the restaurant and bar did not run out of food or close early as the reports indicated. Enjoy your stay at tropikist and be honest with your self.."

• Travel date: Fri 1st of August 2008

My wife and recently returned from spend...

Reviewed Thu 31st of July 2008

"My wife and recently returned from spending 7 nights at the tropikist beach hotel, we were a bit worried about visiting the hotel after reading all the negative reviews, but it was all laid to rest. The former manager Mr. Samaroo is back, the staff were all friendly from the check in to maintenance was great. There is always work being done at the hotel, the staff tries to keep it clean and well maintained. The rooms well spacious for caribbean rooms and cleaned daily with clean towels daily. We were all inclusive and had no problems for food, we went at different times for breakfast, lunch and dinner and we got food each time. The hotel was pretty busy whilst we were there and we encountered no problems, the bar was always stocked and the staff friendly. There are few people there that needs to be changed, the rest. manager (stanisclaus) meeds to be changed, but otherthan that they were all good. The taxi drivers (gift especially) is a grumpy old man and bad talks thehotel so dont use him, rent a jeep or car and you would save a ton, fuel is cheap and the hotel staff at the front is great in organising tours etc for you.
Tobago on the whole is nice and should make time to visit all the places of interest. Try the local beers, stag is the best and alimakes a mean mixture of cocktails..we enjoyed our stay..
Liked..the staff, the food (dinner was great) soup..fantastic (try the calaloo) bar b que night great....location of the hotel and the pool..."

• Travel date: Thu 31st of July 2008

After reading this review and others on...

Reviewed Sat 3rd of May 2008

"After reading this review and others on other sites (yahoo, tripadvisor, etc) I feel I must place my reviews of this hotel. I reside in Trinidad and booked my stay at the Tropikist for the plymouth Jazz festivalheld on the island. When we called the hotel we were told that the cost is US $300 per night and since there were no other roooms on the island we decided on staying here, despite the cost. But for US $300 per night you would expect five star treatment, would you not? We did not check reviews online before booking as we would have saved that money and fly back to trinidad at the end of each nights shows. Anyway, upon booking we were told that our stay would be all-inclusive and that means all oour needs would be taken care of.When we entered the hotel ( take note here this hotel is next to the airport so dont take a taxi) the entrace is horrible and needs a facelift - well the entire hotel needs a facelift - the receptionists (whom double as managers ) are pleasant upon greeting you, (but be careful) food ran out, drinks ran out, air-con units dont work, this hotel is in a mess and someone should be doing something about it. I have written the Tourism development company to lodge a formal complaint on this hotel, as I feel we were robbed, paying US300 per night and did not get fair treatment. So as the first writer said, stay away from this hotel at all costs.."

• Travel date: Sat 3rd of May 2008

Well where to begin, first let me say av...

Reviewed Fri 2nd of May 2008

"Well where to begin, first let me say avoid this hotel at all costs..now let me explain why..this hotel lacks management, hence the reason it is in such turmoil..the roomo we had was very spacious and large. we received one of thos family sized rooms on the top floor, which we were told was a superior room. The walkway isnt covered, but the floor is tiled, and when we were there it rained, so the tiles were slippery, we had to wait until the rain stopped so we could leave the room, we are aware this is a tropical hotel in a tropical setting, but please, a covered walkway would seriously enhance this hotel. The rooms are quite large and can be converted to a family room of sorts, but the furniture looks like it has been there since the hotel opened. The cushions needs to be re-covered and please you could get a history lesson from the writings in the drawers and cupboard...that tells you how long the furniture has been there. The beds are another story and whilst many hotels invite you with the lure of better beds, this hotel seems not to care...
The view is really nice form the balcony and that is great..that is the only plus..the air-con unit is too small for the size of room and seriously needs to be updated, in addition the evaporator units needs to be moved from outside those rooms and placed in an area where it would not disturb the guests sleep, as your night can be ruined by these units. Be careful when you walk at this hotel as it is uuneven flooring all over and it is tiled, so the slightest moisture makes it difficult to walk, espically on thestairwell leading to your room, and the stairs leading to the restaurant, since the most people go from the pool directly into the restaurant so the stairs is always slippery, plus when it rains it is really difficult to navigate, plus there are no rails to hold onto. The management needs to take note of this issue. The public toilets should be avoided as it is in dire need of repairs and is not properly ventilated, the doors dont work, the bowls are loose and shaky, and most times it dont work, or you see the staff trying toclear a clog..imagine that hotel staff clearing sewer lines!! ohgross!!!
The restaurant needs to understand the meaning of all-inclusive and stop running out of food, if you ar not first at the restaurants, you wont get food..period..so make sure if you are at thhis hotel you try and be first inline..breakfast bacon and eggs runs out early..cheese, fresh vegetable, all finish first or is never there..
This hotel needs an overhaul and management..well should I say owners, as there are no managers there..needs to takea longhard look at their establisment..so people..AVOID THIS HOTEL .....................

W"

• Travel date: Fri 2nd of May 2008

love the tropikist

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"myself and girlfriend recently visited the tropikist, and after reading the reviews were worried. but on arrival were suprised by the standard of service we recieved by the management and staff, they were fantastic, helpful and overall a good laugh. The food was great, but choice was limited after a week all inclusive we decided to eat out and found that the local restaurants had the same menu as the hotel. I have to admit the bar did run out of local larger (we drank them dry) but then offered us hiniken for free. We have no complaint of our stay at the tropikist and would definatly go back again. Big up to A TEAM TOURS- we love you."

• Travel date: Wed 21st of July 2004

No complaints at all!

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"I recently stayed at the Tropikist hotel with my boyfriend and we both were slightly wary because of the reviews, but I have to admit that we came out very impressed and we will definitely be staying there again on our return to Tobago.

I do agree there was not much menu variety on any one night, but the overall service and the friendliness of the staff is highly commendable.

Overall, great value for money I think. Location is excellent and the rooms, pool and garden are very well kept."

• Travel date: Thu 17th of June 2004

Hotels near Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort

Top traveller tips for Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort

• Lincoln Peters by Lincoln Peters

"The best city in tobago "

• Lincoln Peters by Lincoln Peters

"the forest trail and waterfall "

• Natalia C by Natalia C

"dont take a package inclusive of meals "

• Anthony T by Anthony T

"talk to the staff for great advice on tours and restaurants outside the hotel "

Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort is also called