Nice and cosy

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"We stayed at the Hummingbird for 10 nights in april/may, and we just loved it. The owners
Paul and Linda was very friendly and helpful.

The hotel is small but very comfortable, quiet and clean.

Don´t missed to having dinner if you will stay at this hotel. Paul is an excellent chief."

• Travel date: Fri 12th of May 2006

Great Holiday

Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"My husband and I recently stayed at the Humminghbird hotel. I must say the hotel was well presented and the hotel owners made our stay very enjoyable. Our cooked meals were well prepared, we just could not get enough of them. Our rooms were well decorated and relaxing, and the swimming pool was lush. This hotel creates the perfect ambience needed for a relaxing holiday and I would advise anybody to stay there."

• Travel date: Wed 10th of May 2006

Loved the HummingBird Hotel

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"I had a wonderful holidayat the Humming Bird Hotel on Tobago in February 2006. I live in California and was meeting an old friend who lives in Ireland, so the Caribbean seemed to be a good halfway trip for both of us. We chose Tobago as we were looking for an affordable unspoiled island which of course is rare these days. Our focus for the holiday was to relax, snorkel, visit the rain forest and see the exotic birds. We chose the Humming Bird Hotel for its location near Store beach, its great value for money and the friendliness of its owners, Linda and Paul Mountjoy. Paul and Linda ran a large hotel and pub in the U.K. before "retiring" to Tobago, so they well know how to make visitors feel at home. The Humming Bird has eight comfortable rooms. They come with twin beds, double beds or a combination of both. All have refrigerators with soda and water plus a free bottle of the local delicious rum. Our room also had a wardrobe with mirror, chest of drawers with mirror and chair, plus a bathroom with a large shower. The rooms are grouped in a semicircle around a small swimming pool where there are chaises, chairs and tables with sunbrellas. The pool is naturally warm 24 hours a day. At one end of this semicircle is the entrance and office; at the opposite end is a small bar, kitchen and covered restaurant area. Paul is a superb cook and, if alerted prior to lunch, will provide delicious dinners for you, using the best ingredients he finds at the market that day. We usually ate the fresh fish of the day which included flying fish, kingfish and some of the best lobsters I've ever had. Chicken and beef are also available. Continental breakfast (choice of cereals, coffee or tea, juice, toast and homemade jam) is included with the price of the room if you stay a week or longer; larger breakfasts are available at additional cost. Paul also runs the bar and makes the best rum punches on the island! Linda arranged a birding tour as well as a tour of the island for us. Both were well organized by superb and informative guides. We really loved our stay at the Humming Bird. Check it out further at hummingbirdhotelor contact me and I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have."

• Travel date: Wed 10th of May 2006

watch your valuables

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"I stayed at the hummingbird along with three old friends at the recommendation of another old friend.Unfortunately he stayed there when the previous management were still in charge. Paul and Linda now run this hotel and more is the pity; Paul is fine, Linda gives you the impression that she would rather (a)she wasn't there or (b) you weren't. This was tolerable until £400 was stolen along with my camera and Mobile phone from my room.(there are no safes in the rooms,apparently there is one available for guest use according to Linda but she failed to mention it to me)
On my return to England I rang them to request a letter stating the absence of the safe. Linda flatly refused to help and fobbed me off. That act of wilful obstructiveness cost me £700.
All in all,don't take cash, camera or phone, don't expect any kindness from Linda and you'll have a great trip. Ps I would of course welcome a response from the hotel management, and I have a police report validating that incident."

• Travel date: Sun 26th of March 2006

Cozy and accommodationg

Reviewed Wed 10th of October 2012

"My wife and I spent a week at the Hummingbird recently. Being a family owned hotel, we got to know the owners, Paul and Linda, somewhat. They were willing to do anything to help make our vacation a success. They were able to arrange tours and boat trips for better prices than we were able to find on our own. And the food and drink was good enough that we ate every breakfast and dinner at the Hummingbird.
This was completely different from the big, all-inclusive resorts with non-stop activities. We spent alot of time sitting around reading, talking to the other guests, or swimming in the crystal clear pool. If you want a relaxing holiday, try the Hummingbird."

• Travel date: Fri 3rd of March 2006

Loved It

Reviewed Sun 18th of November 2012

"I visited Tobago for 11 days following a stint working in the oilfields off Trinidad. My first 4 days were spent at the Hummingbird while I waited for my wife to fly out and join me . On her arrival I had to relocate to the Hilton due to the Hummingbird being full. To be honest i wished i could have stayed at the Hummingbird My room was fine ,very clean ,brightly decorated and very comfortable. Althouh I was on my own I was made to feel very welcome. O.K. so I didnt have a t.v. but do you come to Tobago to watch television ? Considering the reasonable rates it surpassed my expectations. Lets not forget this is the Carribbean and not Dubai.The location is great, convenient for the beaches , restaraunts and minutes from the airport. I must mention Paul and Linda who always seemed to be about to say hello and chat . They had plenty of local knowledge and were very helpfull. It was great stepping straight out of my room to the patio by the pool and enjoying one of pauls excellent breakfasts. The area I felt was safe enough to walk back through after a night out locally."

• Travel date: Sat 25th of February 2006

Unforgetable stay at the hummingbirds

Reviewed Thu 8th of November 2012

"My boyfriend and i stayed there for one week in February and we felt very welcome and secure.
the rooms are simple but when you are in the caribbean you want to be at the beach and not in a room. we had a room without a TV set ( other rooms have) but for us it was really relaxing and you have the chance to read a book or talk to each other.
The owners Linda and Paul were very nice and helping.Paul always booked our trips or taxis and gave us very useful tips.
Paul is also an excellent cook.We ate there every day and it was great and not so expensive.You feel that Paul cooks with love and he has good ideas ( I think he is the first Englishman who can really cook - and it looks better than Jamie Oliver!!!!)
We liked it very much that Linda or Paul were always in the hotel so you could order drinks anytime or ask for something.(excepted one day where they whole family had to go to a funeral - but they organized it great so that we had our breakfast and no bodged day)
Our stay there was great - we enjoyed it yery much there.
We were there at the same time as tom and his family.
We noticed that they had some problems - but for Flo and me it was our best holiday.
Thanks to Linda and Paul and also Thanks to Tom and his family for playing UNO!!!!!!!!"

• Travel date: Tue 21st of February 2006

Under New Management!!

Reviewed Thu 8th of November 2012

"We have never felt like changing accomodation or cutting our holiday short until we stayed at "The Hummingbird". We had to make our own way to the hotel after a long flight but the previous owners Pete and Joan kindly offered to pick us up. To order your food you need to give 5 hours notice so we ate out most of the time. Credit where credit is due.. the food is good however you eat with thier dog staring at you waiting for a piece from your plate. We did find dog hair in the coffee cup at breakfast..must had been there for added taste. The bar is closed 95% of the time but if you have your own drink you have to drink it in your room and buy your own ice from the shop down the road as they will only give ice if you have bought a drink from them but as the bar is closed most of the time you are forced to. There must be a tiolet paper shortage as the cleaner will only replace them if she sees the empty ones. We had to ask for them all the time. The floor always felt gritty after the room had been cleaned. we would talk to friends we met and in the evening the lights would go out early as 8pm. We never felt welcome.. we never even got a "good morning". the friends we met made our holiday.. Thanks to Alan, Jan, Connie and boyfriend and to all the Sweedish. Lucky we are home now.. the hustle of work is far better than staying at the hummingbird.( to Alan... moooove)."

• Travel date: Tue 14th of February 2006

Excellent New Owners

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"A clean, comfortable, happy, family run hotel with recently refurbished rooms. The new owners gave good advice and tips on how to explore the rest of the island.,.The hotel is close to the central area of crown point with numerous restaurants and access to local amenities. We spent two wonderful weeks and really felt like family when we left."

• Travel date: Sun 8th of January 2006

Know your needs

Reviewed Sun 18th of November 2012

"Just returned from Tobago. Stayed at the Hummingbird for 3 nights. Had initially booked for 7. Joan and Denise are lovely, helpful ladies. Assisted with travel plans. We appreciated it.
Found the rooms to be quite stark. The beds are terrible -hard and squeaky.
Some travellers may find that they is not enough personal space as you are living in close proximity with a family. We were OK with it.
We moved to different accommodation as we wanted more comfort. If you are on a strict budget, this is a good place. If not, think about your needs and upgrade."

• Travel date: Mon 4th of April 2005