About Hummingbird Beach Resort

• car hire
  • massage
  • telephone
  • gift shop amenities
  • wake up service alarm clock
  • pool beach towels
  • iron
  • babysitting
  • free private parking nearby
  • snorkeling amenities
  • mosquito net

Small and cosy

Reviewed Mon 19th of November 2012

"We spent one week of our honeymoon at the Hummingbird. We loved it. Soufriere is a small, friendly town and the hotel fits right in. We stayed in a bungalow by the sea."

• Travel date: Wed 29th of December 2004

Tropical Paradise

Reviewed Mon 19th of November 2012

"A stunning view of the Pitons (Petit Piton) is the feature attribute of the Hummingbird Beach Resort.
Just returned from a week at the Hummingbird (12/4-11).
The staff.... is friendly, helpful and very efficient.
Rooms..... are VERY nice and both well cleaned and maintained.
Food.... is very good. Delicious fresh fruit for breakfast! Superb view while dining.
Grounds..... are lush with flowers,tropical plants and palm trees.
Pool.... is somewhat small, but clean and very refreshing. The pool area provides a direct westerly view of those remarkable Caribbean sunsets.
Beach....is adequate. A combination of small pebbles and dark sand.
Very swimmable area. However, I was repeatedly asked to buy
items or services from the locals that regularly hang out on the beach.
Best bet for beach lovers? Hike or take a watertaxi boat (20 U S dollars roundtrip) to two wonderful beaches at Anse Chastanet (2 miles away) or Jalousie (3 miles away). Both provide beautiful sand, great swimming and good snorkeling in a both breathtaking and peaceful setting.
Location.....Just over an hour from Hewanorra International Airport (90 U S dollars round trip via taxi). The resort is on the northern edge of the small city of Soufriere. A very easy walk to the center of town.

Summary: The Hummingbird provides a moderately priced resort in the midst of one of the most, in my view, beautiful destinations in the Caribbean."

• Travel date: Thu 16th of December 2004

A perfect honeymoon

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"We honeymooned at the Hummingbird in October 2003 and we'll be back for at least one anniversary in the future. Soufriere is the place to be in St. Lucia and staying at the Hummingbird allows you to be close to everything including other resorts. A walk into town is very easy. Everyone is so kind and the rooms / restaurant / bar / pool are a slice of paradise."

• Travel date: Wed 10th of November 2004

Loved it! We'll be back...

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"Hummingbird is a delightful little resort with very friendly staff/owner, a fantastic French restaurant and ultra-relaxed atmosphere. Our room was large with a beautiful 4-poster bed plus a balcony with views of the hills/pitons. During the day, we enjoyed walking downtown (real close) midday to eat at one of the local eateries for their fabulous west-indian rotis and spending the afternoon lounging by the pool or visiting one of the local hot springs or waterfalls. We even captured a little piece of Hummingbird by purchasing a beautiful Batik print from their on-site shop. Hummingbird is one of the only places we've found in our Caribbean travels that we absolutely must and will return to a second and third time!"

• Travel date: Sat 3rd of July 2004

No better place

Reviewed Wed 17th of October 2012

"I just got back from St. Lucia where I stayed at the Hummingbird Beach Resort. Not only was the ambiance lovely, but the staff was very helpful. They provided excellent service and made great suggestions about the local attractions. I truly felt at home. I also appreciated the hands on approach of Joan, the proprietor. I'm sure to return for many vactions to come."

• Travel date: Thu 20th of May 2004

Great value, great room

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"I spent a week at the Hummingbird in January 2004. I travelled by myself (single woman in her 30s) and was very pleased with my accomodation at the Hummingbird. The breakfast is lovely, overlooking the Pitons, and the service is just slow enough to be perfectly relaxing. I met the other guests at breakfast and really enjoyed that time.
My room was big, with a huge bed, wonderful, spacious bathroom and balcony that had a fabulous view. I could not have asked for more. Beware though, of the "single" rooms. One is ok, the other very small, dark and depressing. That's where I started out but was happy to pay a little more for my second, much improved room. At under $100 a night, it was well worth it. I felt like a princess.
The location of the hotel is walking distance to town, which is excellent for inexpensive meals, hanging out in the evening drinking Piton beers, and stocking up on beverages and snacks. Right next to the Hummingbird is a great little dive shop run by Chester. Fantastic equipment and even better dives. I was the only diver on 5 of my 6 dives, including a 1-hour night dive. I walked to the botanical gardens and the Piton waterfall from the hotel, and took a water taxi twice to the Anse Chastenet beach and spent two wonderful days relaxing on their black sand beach. The Hummingbird beach was lacking (hard sand, rocky) but as I said - with the Anse Chastenet beach just a quick boat ride away, it's no problem. Don't miss that wonderful time just before sunset though, on the Hummingbird beach. There's plenty going on then. This locally run hotel is a great value and really allows you to get to know Soufriere. You are not isolated but more a part of the town and culture."

• Travel date: Tue 4th of May 2004

Best kept secret

Reviewed Tue 11th of December 2012

"Our trip to St Lucia was a wonderful vacation and the Hummingbird Resort was fantastic. We stayed for 2
nights. Friendly staff, Live music, Great food.
The beachfront resort is one of the best I've experienced.
It is highly recommended for a romantic getaway or a family
vacation in the cottage. We will look forward to a future vacation at the hummingbird. Thanks Joyce.
Cyndi and Ken
April 2004"

• Travel date: Mon 26th of April 2004

Very Good Value

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"I just returned home from a two week trip to St. Lucia and had the opportunity to stay at four different hotels...Hummingbird, LeSport, Villa Zandoli and The Rainbow Hotel.Of the four properties I felt the best value was at the Humming Bird and Rainbow Hotel. Both properties are locally owned and operated. They are well maintained, clean, and offer full ammenties. I would high recommend both the Hummingbird and Rainbow as great places to stay. The Humming Bird also has a very nice restaurant and the food although expensive was worth the extar money.The Villa Zandoli is also a good place for thoes seeking budget accommodations. The rooms are small but very clean, with cable TV and the B&B is within walking distance to the beach and shopping.LeBody Sport was a total dissappointment and I would not recommend this resort, it is over priced and the food the TERRIBLE!"

• Travel date: Sat 22nd of November 2003

Delightful hideaway

Reviewed Tue 11th of December 2012

"To finish an 2.5 week business trip around the Caribbean, I wanted to relax in an off the beaten track, individual, (ie not prefab/chain) hotel, so I booked into the Hummingbird Beach Resort for 5 nights. I was not in the least disappointed, and it certainly is individual!! The hotel boasts lush gardens which intermingle with the restaurant, swimming pool and bars to such an extent it is difficult to see where they overlap. The gardens teem with life, including hummingbirds!
Although staying in the rainy season, the "showers", though heavy, are usually short - and can be fun when in the open fronted restaurant eating in the dry. All the staff I met were unfalilingly friendly and helpful, the food was always well prepared and delicious and the room I had was spacious and kept spotlessly clean. Although there is no AC, the ceiling fan and floor standing fan did the job (after all, what's the point of staying in the Caribbean on the edge of a rainforest if you want Motel conditions). Although I visited the other main hotels (Hilton Jalousie and Anse Chastanet which are in bays either side of Soufriere) to use their beaches for snorkelling, (all beaches on St.Lucia are public) it was always good to return to the Hummingbird.
The only slight downside in Soufriere was the constant slight hassle from "wannabe guides" and some beggars telling your fortune for money, but that was not heavy and you are left alone if you firmly and politely say "no thanks". The whole area around Soufriere is stunningly beautiful and I will definitely stay again at the Hummingbird to feel that I am staying in the Real Caribbean after "business hotels"."

• Travel date: Mon 23rd of June 2003

Small & so friendly

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"We have just returned from a week at this lovely little Hotel. Very friendly staff, good food, gardens lead straight on to the beach, where there is excellent snorkelling, and the rooms have fantastic views of the Pitons. The restaurant is probably the best in Soufriere, although Captain Hooks nearby is good for an alternative night out (limited by having only one choice on the menu, but generous helpings served with a welcoming smile by Marguerite the proprietor). The Hummingbird's menu is varied and good value, as evidenced by the number of daytime & evening visitors. Water taxi's, run by out of work fishermen, are easily arranged off the beach to nearby beaches at Anse Chastenet & Jalousie Hilton, where you can sample the delights of the big resort Hotels (souless but good for lunch on the beach). At the Hummingbird you are more than likely to meet you host Joyce, who is clearly very proud of her establishment, which she started back in 1979. She has beautiful homemade Batik clothing and wall panels for sale in her studio. We bought two for our bathrooms, and they will look marvellous when hung. I wish we could have stayed for another week."

• Travel date: Tue 11th of March 2003