Good

I went with my girlfriend, having alread...

Reviewed Sun 20th of January 2008

"I went with my girlfriend, having already been to St Lucia two times before. This was the second time I'd booked the flight and hotel separately, and I must say I was impressed.

The hotel is very well organised, the staff friendly, and the room was comfortable with a spacious bed, TV and a fridge (which we made good use of). The restaurant was very reasonably priced and the food was good.

The two pools were both clean, we preferred the one at the back because it was a better shape for swimming and seemed to catch more of the afternoon sun.

The hotel felt really safe, although there are security guards there, they were very friendly - on the first night one even carried our bags to our room for us.

The hotel is in a really good location, being off the main road between Castries and the Cap Estate, and right next to the Rodney Bay Mall, just a 5 minute walk from Rodney Bay itself.

I believe that for what it costs to stay there, the hotel offers good value for money, I will be staying there again in the future."

• Travel date: Sun 20th of January 2008

Wonderful Hotel

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"Just spent 2 weeks Jan 10-24 at the Bay Gardens. This is our 5th time back to this hotel and we got the great service we were looking for. The weather was not great but that's not the Bay Gardens fault. It's not on the beach or all inclusive but it's great value."

• Travel date: Wed 26th of January 2005

Great Value.

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"We stayed at the Bay Gardens Inn for two nights in November 2004. Our second-storey room with covered balcony overlooking the pool and garden was very comfortable. The building, rooms and gardens are beautiful. We had a table and chairs, fridge, kettle and coffee supplies, big bed, whisper quiet A/C unit, and balcony furniture. Everything was clean and worked well!! The staff were attentive and friendly; and the management was visibly active at making everything perfect. The location is behind the new Mall so it is not on the beach but it is a short walk to restaurants, bars and the beach. We booked through Expedia and had a very reasonable rate. I would rate this hotel high for its beauty, functionality and low cost."

• Travel date: Wed 8th of December 2004

Fabulous hotel

Reviewed Wed 14th of November 2012

"First time in St Lucia, so didn't really know what to expect. Reviews on here were helpful, and my partner and I reckoned the Bay Gardens Inn sounded good and reasonable.

Going during hurricane season wasn't the smartest idea we've ever had, though. However, we struck it lucky and managed to completely miss Hurricane Ivan by about two days, and Jeanne thankfully bypassed the island altogether.

What this meant, though, was that the hotel was really quiet during our stay, which was pretty much what we wanted. There only appeared to be about half a dozen rooms occupied during our whole time there.

The staff at the hotel are brilliant and are always ready to smile and say hello every time they see you (and not in a horribly false, forced fashion like you get in the States either).

As noted elsewhere on the site, the food is okay - breakfast is good, but lunch and dinner are a bit so-so, and are positively rubbish if you're a vegetarian. However, there are plenty of restaurants nearby, so even hard-to-please veggies like me will find something worth munching.

Rooms are tremendous and are scrupulously clean. The air conditioning is really good too, so thankfully mosquitos were almost completely banished. Only complaint I'd have is that the beds were a little too soft and a bit uneven, so both my girlfriend and I had pretty sore backs by the end of two weeks.

Rodney Bay was fine. As it was low season, there weren't many tourists about (most of them appearing to prefer to stay cloistered in their all-inclusive compounds, it seems), which meant that we were immediately targeted by the hustlers around JC's mall next door, and Gablewoods mall on the other side down towards the Key Largo restaurant. Although this was annoying, it wasn't particularly threatening, and if you keep your wits and a sense of humour about you, and tell them 'no thanks', you should be fine. Certainly not enough to ruin the holiday.

Couple of nearby places definitely worth checking out: Key Largo does tremendous (and very reasonably priced) pizza, Cafe Claude has a fantastic pumpkin ravioli in a creole sauce (although everything else on the menu is hellishly overpriced) and the roti at Spinnakers is fabulous. Memories of Hong Kong was much better than you'd expect too.

The Cat's Whiskers isn't a bad bar (although it'll doubtless be horrible in high season when it's bursting at the seams with red-faced Brits) and Spinnakers has some of the best beach views on the island.

I loved it, and would go back. The Bay Gardens Inn is in a good spot, and, as opposed to the all-inclusive prison camps elsewhere, encourages you to see a bit of the island.

It's tremendous value for money, and apart from the spongey beds, the only other thing I'd suggest they attend to is to get some more lighting in the car park next door on the way to the mall - it's a little intimidating after dark.

Well worth it."

• Travel date: Mon 4th of October 2004

Brilliant Hotel. Very friendly staff

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"All the staff at this hotel were very courteous, friendly and made my vacation an even better experience. The hotel itself is only 5 minutes walk from the best beach in St. Lucia.
A truely wonderful time in one of the best hotels I have stayed in amoung the Caribbean Islands."

• Travel date: Wed 8th of September 2004

LOVED THE BAY GARDEN INN

Reviewed Wed 14th of November 2012

"The Bay Garden
- wonderful staff
-well priced
-great rooms around a courtyard and pool
close to mini mall -modern and
-close to restaurant area-good selection
-superb beachs 10 minutes walk
-welcome by staff is sincere and friendly.
pool in courtyard is wonderful
decor in rooms is very good -nice balconies
highly recommend staying there
We stayed twice once on our arrival and departure and so did our friends.

JP"

• Travel date: Sat 21st of August 2004

Great value

Reviewed Mon 19th of November 2012

"We've just spent 2 relaxing weeks at the Bay Gardens Inn. Its very clean and friendly with a nice pool and garden area (piped Celine Dion could do with turning off....). The food was very average, but not included so it encouraged us to try the local places. The Triangle pub did some really excellent and cheap local food, and the Charthouse did superb lobster. The room was great in every way except the water pressure kept failing, but the staff were very helpful and got the pressure up again within a few minutes every time. Another issue was that there was building work going on next door, which was intrusive when lounging by the pool. Finally (and I'm mentioning the bad bits as thats what I want to hear - mostly it was great), the Inn is located a few minutes walk from the action in Rodney Bay. Whilst the shuttle will run you to the (fantastic) beach in the day, at night its a dark walk which attracts beggars, or those 'selling' aloe vera leaves, wire statues etc. My advice is to get a tan quickly as they seem to prey on the newcomers! A sharp "no thanks" works too, although I was guilty of being nabbed a couple of times early on as I thought they were the friendly locals I'd been told to expect. These are ALL the bad bits in our experience. I'd definately go back."

• Travel date: Mon 8th of March 2004

Perfect

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"Bay Gardens Inn is the perfect place to stay. Ms Patrick has the most wonderful staff, ALL were friendly and helpful and I cannot fault any one of them. They go out of their way to help and make you feel welcome, a real home from home. Ideally situated for the shopping mall, beach and fantastic restaurants. This is a very good alternative to the restrictive all inclusive hotels if you would rather be a free spirit!
If you fancy a change to surroundings and meet other guests you can always pop over the road to the sister hotel Bay Garden Hotel. Food at both the resorts was excellent and the barbeque at the hotel fantastic.
The rooms were a really good size and very clean. Garden area lovingly attended by some friendly groundsmen. I do not think you could find a better place to stay which is so reasonably priced."

• Travel date: Sun 7th of March 2004

Winter in Paradise

Reviewed Mon 19th of November 2012

"My wife and have just spent Christmas and New Year in the Bay Gardens Inn, Rodney Bay, St Lucia. Not only was this a home from home, but the excellent service and warm friendly manner of the staff from cleaners, gardeners, reception staff and management, let alone the kitchen staff, made this a holdiay that we will never forget. We did a tour of the island visiting several places of interest. and then travelled on a catamarn form Soufreie (I think that's how it's spelt) to Rodney Bay, with our mini bus driver to transport us back to our hotel. Lots of local restaurants and shops and very reasonably priced. Visited an excellent restaurant in Castries called the Coal Pot which has become one of our favourites. Excellent for those who do not want to be shackled to an all inclusive packet. All in excellent value for money, a lovely quiet hotel, near shops, shuttle to be beach and beautiful weather. Unlike other caribbean islands we have visited, St Lucia although visited by many tourists had mananged to retain its own cultural identitity. Colin and Yvonne Mason. Jan '04"

• Travel date: Wed 21st of January 2004

Friendly, clean and excellent value

Reviewed Fri 12th of October 2012

"Bay Gardens Hotel is an excellent example of a smaller, well run establishment with more than a little local flavour. It is a refreshing change from the all inclusives which dominate the island and the staff are excellent. The hotel is kept very clean and the rooms are comfortable and functional. If you are looking for a glitzy, all facilities, western style hotel, then you probably won't appreciate Bay Gardens. But if you want good value for money, pretty surroundings and friendly faces, this is a great place."

• Travel date: Wed 6th of August 2003

Enjoyed Our Stay

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"We enjoyed our stay at the small Bay Gardens Inn. The atmosphere was pleasant (especially the pool/garden area), the employees friendly and helpful, and the LOCATION in the Rodney Bay area excellent. It's a great base from which to explore the island. If you find it too quiet, you can utilize the facilities of the Bay Gardens Hotel next door. A shuttle provides daily rides to the beautiful Reduit Beach; however, we enjoyed our daily brisk walk there. On the way to the beach you pass several great restaurants where you can enjoy breakfast outdoors on the deck or return at night to sample many different kinds of food.The Inn is conveniently located next door to a small mall with several small stores, including a supermarket, bank, and post office. A short jog or 20 minute walk will take you to The Rodney Bay Marina which has stores and restaurants and is a place where you can talk to world travelers who are staying there on their boats. (Or take the mini-bus for $1 EC.)To avoid the $16 US for the taxi ride to the marketplace in Castries, you can just cross the street and ride with the locals on the mini-bus to town for only $1.75 EC. At the market, look for a long row of booths where you can sample local food. Stop at Booth 14 and say hello to Francisca and Ulana for us.We enjoyed our talks with the many friendly locals we met on our adventures.Joe & Dee"

• Travel date: Sat 1st of March 2003