Marigot Beach Club and Dive Resort

Disappointing

Reviewed 26th November 2012

"Marigot Beach Club was the one sad disappointment during my otherwise lovely weeklong visit to St. Lucia. For the first half of the week, I stayed at a hotel about 20 minutes down the coast (Ti kaye) with impeccable service and amenities. The second half of the week at Marigot Beach Club was in stark contrast--though nearly the same price. Marigot's most annoying offense was to have a front office only open until 4pm each day, so nothing could be arranged or inquired about thereafter. To discourage anyone from making independent arrangements, the room phones were only operable via the front office (so, no phone calls can be made after 4pm!). One day, my boyfriend and I simply wanted to rent some snorkel equipment, and the office couldn't explain why the "on-site" dive shop was closed, or when it might open again. Apparently location is where the relationship with Marigot and its neighbors ends. As for the rooms. . . I think "Motel 6" best describes the bathrooms. The tiny shower was rusty, poorly constructed (only about a 1-inch edge below the shower curtain, making it nearly impossible to not soak the floor), and overall the bathroom left cleanliness to be desired. If you've already made reservations and are bound to stay at Marigot, you're best advised to avoid the hotel's restaurant, Doolittles, and head 2 minutes down the path to The Enchanted Forest, a quaint waterside restaurant with an idyllic setting and truly amazing food and service. The way in which you won't be able to avoid Doolittle's is that you'll hear the blaring bar music when you're back in your room trying to sleep. Marigot has location on its side-- the bay is truly beautiful-- but don't set high expectations otherwise."

• Travel date: 21st May 2005

Don't fall into this trap

Reviewed 20th December 2012

"My girlfriend and I stayed in this hotel for four days in May 2005. It is in a beautiful setting in Marigot Bay. But that is all that is good about it. Perhaps the worst thing about the hotel was that the reception closed at 4pm and we could do nothing -- not even make a local phone call the first night -- after this time. The bathroom had a disgusting rusty old shower. Our AC was broken, though this was fixed after a good bit of complaining. The hotel makes clear what it thinks of its customers: the seat cushions in the bar are wrapped in plastic, and as soon as you check in they give you a list of the fines that they will charge you for stealing different things in the room! The food in the restaurant was horrible. It is one of the worst run hotels I have ever stayed in, and it isn't cheap. My advice is to avoid this trap and stay in Ti Kaye Village a few miles down the coast."

• Travel date: 21st May 2005

Wonderful, but!...

Reviewed 12th December 2012

"One should try to stay at the rooms above the office (Room #54 etc.) They have just been renovated, offer a small kitchen and nice views on the Verandah. If you get pushed up the hill Towards Oasis Marigot, you may not find it as enjoyable, the rooms are small and the view is not as good. One should definitely understand that while you are in Marigot Bay, you are not going anywhere but Marigot Bay. The Restaurant "Doolittles" is Ok but the serivice is a little shaky. There really is no Beach to speak of and of course the incessant construction across the bay at Discovery can be a little disconcerting. The Bay itself is BEAUTIFUL, the sunsets spectacular while there is a lot of Catamarans cruising thru the harbour with Partyers, it really is quite scenic. Of course you get the typical beggars, but in St Lucia there just not that objectionable. The RAIN FOREST RESTAURANT IS 4-5 star, truly special (Owned by Discovery) I visited Marigot 3 times in 2 weeks (After our 3 day stay ended) and was enthralled everytime, However I don't understand why anyone would go to Oasis Marigot (The Time shares up the hill....WAY UP!) I rented a car to get there to Marigot Bay but I can't say I reccomend that either. IF your into an all-inclusive, or like to be pampered this probably isn't for you"

• Travel date: 31st March 2005

Dream Wedding in Paradise

Reviewed 15th November 2012

"If you are looking for an out of the way, not too many tourists, quaint, more private place, the Marigot is it. Our daughter chose to marry in St. Lucia (legally very easy to do) Choice of this resort was done by viewing the website. Not really knowing what we were getting we booked! All preparations were done by Marigot Resort, Francine Hackshaw and her team. All our wishes were granted, truly a day of wonderful memories, boat cruise, waterfall ceremony, sunset dinner on the beach, dancing the night away to a "fantastic" reggae /rock band in the resort's Bamboo Bar. The rest of the vacation met all our expectations. The key to this small resort's success is the staff. They are truly hardworking, friendly and resourceful in meeting a guest's needs. To add the locals are very much the same, friendly, extemely helpful and a lot of fun! It was not only a Dream Wedding in Paradise but a vacation we will never forget. We need to re-visit as St. Lucia is "Simply Beautiful"."

• Travel date: 15th March 2005

Nearly perfect - but not quite

Reviewed 29th October 2012

"My wife, 7 yr old son and I stopped at the Marigot Beach Club for three nights as part of a fourteen night stay across four hotels in St Lucia in late February 2005. In that time we felt we got a broad idea of what the west coast of the island had to offer from Rodney Bay down to Soufriere - having stopped in four very different places during that time. We had checked the reviews on tripadviser and had found them very complimentary but now realise there are some less complimentary ones listed under the heading of Marigot Hotel, Castries, St. Lucia. Nonetheless this hotel was the our favourite during our stay and we felt the price we paid through Opodo, which included breakfast, was an excellent deal. Our room was one of the four terraced rooms with adjoining balconies to the left of reception. We didn't have the end one nearest the pool but if you can get that as the balcony has the best view. We had a four poster bed, TV, fridge, kitchenette and air conditioning. The room was clean if a little small, but we managed with a rollaway bed tucked in near the french windows. The shower was not very powerful and the hot water ran out after one short shower before a small heater warmed it again so we took to taking 'Navy' showers (get wet, switch off, soap up, rinse off). The room was also quite dim with a couple of 40 watt bulbs and a ceiling spot that didn't work, but we got around this by removing the bedside lightshades in the evenings. None of these problems spoiled our enjoyment. The cleaning lady was lovely and friendly. Where this hotel wins hands down is on VIEWS! Where ever you look you see a postcard view. Walking up behind the Beach Hotel you can go up to see the more expensive villas of the Marigot Oasis complete with its own cable powered carriage to climb the gradient. If money was no option we would have maybe liked to stay in one of those. (We have their brochure for next time! Also the nature trail to the hill peak was fun for all but the very unfit - although you'll probably only do it once and use mosquito repellant first. The waterside restaurant is very picturesque and the food was always good and average price for the rest of the island. Each of the three nights we stayed there were different themes, e.g. All-you-can-eat-BBQ for EC$35 (very cheap), Ladies night - if she waers a flower with her escort she eats free (averages to another great deal). Music was provided. Happy hour(s) are 5pm to 7pm and each night has a favoured cocktail. Again good value. The restaurant staff were nice both morning and evening, although one or two of the young women could occasionally be a little moody. A strong word of advice is to BOOK a table to eat every evening or you may find yourself disappointed. There are only about a dozen tables and it was always full. Quite a few locals seem to wander through the hotel in spite of a security post near the gate and you are never quite sure who works there - as not all staff were shirts with hotel insignia. The free ferry back and forth is a couple of hundred yards to the far roadside and worked well. If you stay for less than a week you don't get a free ferry passcard but we arranged through reception to go on it free anyway. There's no real need to use it anyway because there's not much on the other side except ongoing condominium construction. We never heard any building noise. The Rainforest Hideaway restaurant can be walked to via a boardwalk but as it didn't desire children after 7pm we never ate there. The beach is a little disappointing and from old picture there appears to be less sand nowadays. The water was murky when we snorkelled but we still saw the odd few fish (and lots of animal bones thrown in from the side by the restaurant which was a shame). Quite a lot of daytrippers boat in throughout the day but disappear by late afternoon. We experienced very little interest from local pedlars some of whom have stalls near the beach. We bartered for a few bananas each day to keep us going between meals. We only drank tap water through the day which we cooled in our fridge and it tasted great. The owner kindly arranged a taxi for us to go onward in our journey and was very helpful, though my young son was worried by his very large Rottweiller dog which sometimes lounged near the bar. We would definately return to this hotel despite the odd imperfection it has but we would only stay for three of four nights like we did on this occasion as it is relatively isolated from everywhere else."

• Travel date: 1st March 2005

Beautiful

Reviewed 26th November 2012

"As a keen scuba diver, I booked a last minute trip through the hotel’s diveshop, divefairhelen who arranged the accommodation. When arriving at Marigot Bay, I was mesmerised by the beauty of the Bay. I am a frequent visitor to St Lucia and have always stayed in Rodney Bay. I will never stay in Rodney Bay again now that I have discovered Marigot Bay. I’d like to thank David and his Staff for making me feel so welcome and making my stay as enjoyable as it was. The staff can never do enough to make your stay more pleasant. My room was well equipped, spotlessly clean and extremely comfortable. The bed was among the best I have ever slept in. The bay itself is very sleepy but has a range of good restaurants and bars all accessible by the Marigot Bay Ferry. Doolittles offers a fine selection of quality food. A secret of the bay is the nature trail to the top of the hill located behind the Marigot Oasis. There are spectacular views and you can see Martinique. Next time I am in the bay I will climb at sunset and come back down using torchlight. Also checkout the rainforest hideaway, the food there is simply out of this world! If you are a scuba diver, I can’t recommend the hotel’s dive shop enough and ask to dive the piton wall!"

• Travel date: 21st December 2004

True Caribbean experience

Reviewed 15th November 2012

"We just returned from an 8-night stay at the hotel and had a fabulous time! The Marigot Beach Club offers a true Caribbean experience with waterfront restaurant, safe beach, lovely view of the beach from our room and friendly, warm staff always ready to give a smile. The hotel is accessible only by ferry so security is very good. Dave Shimeld (manager) runs a tight ship and is involved in a "hands-on" way. Our room was air-conditioned and had a four-poster, TV, spacious balcony and was very tastefully decorated. Our two-year old loved the swimming pool and the beach, both which were a stone's throw from our room. We would recommend this hotel to anybody looking for a relaxing get-away and I guarantee that we will be back there again very soon!"

• Travel date: 6th December 2004

Life in paradise

Reviewed 24th October 2012

"I have just returned from a wonderful one week break in "The Marigot Beach Club" in St.Lucia.... This place is stunning...the restaurant is right on the waters edge with fabulous views across the bay and out to sea....the food is excellent and the staff very friendly and happy to tend your every need...I spent several evenings playing pool meeting the other guests staying there. The food is excellent with a wide choice of dishes...their rum punch certainly packs a punch....and I am told they will soon be opening the only 'Tiki lounge/restaurant' on the island..it certainly is the perfect location with mind blowing sunsets almost every evening... THANK YOU FOR A WONDERFUL WEEK, MANY THANKS, Lloyd Johnson"

• Travel date: 23rd September 2004

heaven on earth

Reviewed 29th October 2012

"I've now stayed at this resort three times since 1997, and I can't wait until I go back again for Valentine's 2005. The rooms are spacious, clean, well maintained and comfortable. The setting is idyllic, the staff warm and friendly, the views breathtaking. The hotel's restaurant, Doolittles, serves the most amazing fresh fish cooked to perfection, and for lunch I can highly recommend the chicken roti :O) The hotel's proprietor is a charming character, eager to take care personally of every customer, and has welcomed me at every visit as if I were family. What more could one want from a holiday?"

• Travel date: 16th September 2004

Fantastic

Reviewed 12th December 2012

"As a keen scuba diver I'd heard fantastic reports about the resort, and I wasn't disappointed. The food at doolittles is very good, a wide selection of food sure to please even the most discerning eater. The selection of seafood dishes is divine! I couldn't have asked for a better holiday, the staff there were very courteous and made us feel very welcome."

• Travel date: 16th September 2004

Hotels near Marigot Beach Club and Dive Resort

Marigot Beach Club and Dive Resort is also called

• Marigot Beach Club Hotel
  • marigot beach hotel dive