St. James's Club Morgan Bay

Choc Bay St. Lucia, Gros Islet St. Lucia

A GREAT PLACE FOR A HONEYMOON OR WITH KIDS

Good

"We went to St. James Club for one week in May 2003 for our honeymoon - WE HAD A BLAST - the people at the resort were EXTREMELY FRIENDLY and courteous....we got an upgrade from our orginal booking because we were on our honeymoon! The food was great - NB that you have to book in advance for one of the restaurants -but that is not a big deal - there was tons of variety.

The water sport activites were fun... for the most part you could sign up for the time you wanted and enjoy yourself.... The Lounge activites were great and defintley would suggest you check them out.... we loved DAMIAN!!!! If you have KIDS - there is tons for them to do - as well as a KIDS program - and trust me they do not get in the way of the "honeymooners" There is a family pool in the main area of the resort and an "Adult" pool which is off the the back of the resort with the steam room and all - still a bar at that pool side - yeah! Most of the activites that were scheduled took place if the weather permitted.

DEFINTELY WOULD GO BACK IN A HEART BEAT - we met many couples that were there on their 5th, 10th, 25th, etc... anniversaries...."

• Travel date: Thu 23rd of October 2003

Wonderful 2 weeks!!

"We stayed at St James Club, Morgan Bay for our Honeymoon for 2 weeks on 9th September. The resort was fantastic and the staff were very attentive. The hotel was quite quiet in our first week so we didn't have to reserve a restaurant we just strolled there when we felt like it. The second week was a little busier and we had to reserve a restaurant every night but this was no hassle as you could book 3 nights in advance at guest relations, we had no problems and always got a reservation. The food was excellent and as a person with special diet needs they were only to happy to do an alternative if I couldn't eat was on offer. Breakfast is not to be missed with all the fresh fruit and then with lunch, afternoon tea, dinner and a midnight snack you can hardly starve. Nicole's charge a supplement to eat there but if you visit you will understand why, the food and service are 5 star. Our room was superb, clean, light and right by the sea. All the activities on offer and the trips outside of the resort are worth doing just to see some of the beautiful island, although if you'd rather stay at the resort there is plenty to do and with the 2 pools if you need to escape from the children you can. The entertainment is ok, some much better than others, the casino night is a must but if you are there 2 weeks you will see some repeats. We would certainly recommend the resort to anyone visiting St Lucia as our honeymoon there was totally unforgettable."

• Travel date: Fri 17th of October 2003

Oh my goodness!

"Oh my goodness! What a FAB holiday we have just had - we truly didn't want to return! St James resort does exactly what it says in the brochure and I cannot believe what some of these reviews are saying!
How can people say the food was 'horrid'? The food was excellent! How can people say that the restuarants are always fully booked and you can only eat so many burgers and hotdogs for lunch? Did they not understand how it works? There are 3 resturants there - Tradewinds where you eat buffet style, which changes daily and has a very wide variety to suit all tastebuds - then there is the palm Grill which is an al a carte style resturant, serving all sorts - and then you have Nicoles, for which you do pay $25 per person, however the food and service received for that sum is 1st class. Really, what do people go on holiday for? A well earned break or food? And then there's the beach - yes it's not white sand, however there is a live volcano a few miles down the road so what do people expect? And yes, there are some locals on the beach sometimes, however they are not intrusive nor intimidating. The watersports was my personla favourite - being that I cannot swim and hate water, I found the staff very good indeed. They taught me how to waterski on the first day, and I was in the intermediate classes by the 3rd day. From then on, I waterski'd every day I could, whilst my partner sailed his catermeran for miles. The accomodation was very good - no it wasn't 1st class, however all we did was sleep in it - what more do you need? If the main reason for your holiday is to have a top notch room, then you'd book the Hilton for 5 times the price - however, having been to the Hilton, it is not worth the money. Some people have commented on the staff - given that St Lucia is in the caribbean, everyone is very chilled out - and why not ? Not every country rushes around like nutters like we do, and anyway, you're on holiday, so sit back and relax - take it easy, thats what it's all about!

Overall, we had a fantastic time at St james, it is definately a 4 star hotel - and beleive me I know! The holiday was well worth the money spent on it, however if you're one of these people who expected food like you'd get at the Ritz, a gym the size of a warehouse, a beauty salon fit for movie stars and a 24 hour servant - you'll be sadly disappointed.

Go to St James - it's a fabulous resort which you will love. we loved it and would certainly go back."

• Travel date: Wed 10th of September 2003

not a 5 star

"first of all i am a travel agent so i notice most everything. the service here was good , the rooms were very nice and clean, the overall resort was very neat and clean. that being said, the food was lacking, i believe they cater totaly to families and kids. there was nothing for adults to do in the evenings. there was entertainment but as i said totaly geared toward kids. i believe when a resort is all inclusive it should be all inclusive you shouldn't have to pay extra for bottled water, a certain restaraunt, orto use the safe in your room. we ended up taking 2 excursions and one i would recommend highly is JOYS SNORKELING TRIP. it is awesome, very organized and affordable, they serve an excellent home cooked lunch on this trip that happened to be the best food i ate all week. you can book this excursion down by the watersport booth."

• Travel date: Wed 10th of September 2003

Really Good Resort

Good

"We have just returned from spending our honeymoon at St James. I do not understand all the negative reviews as we had a fantastic week. If you don't want to be around all the children you can go off to the adults pool which is nice and quite. It has it's own bar so you don't have to go far for drinks and then you get afternoon tea there too. The food was good in Tradewinds (buffet restaurant), breakfast was great! The Palm Grill was excellent and we had no real problems booking in apart from 2 nights when it was busy. Everywhere was clean, even communal areas. Staff all very pleasent and helpful. Would go back without a doubt."

• Travel date: Sun 7th of September 2003

Wonderful Vacation!

"Our stay at St. James Club was great. We just returned 8/31/03 from a 7-day vacation. The service provided was excellent and the staff was very friendly, helpful and eager to please. The food and drinks in all restaurants and bars were excellent. The property is very clean and upbeat. This is a great place for the family to vacation. If you don't do anything else, make sure you take the Joy's Adventure Excursion. Fantastic! It's a fun filled day of cruising, sightseeing, guided tour of a drive-in volcano, a swim in the Mineral Waterfalls, a delicious lunch on a private beach and snorkeling. A tour not to miss. We would definitely stay at St. James Club Morgan Bay again."

• Travel date: Tue 2nd of September 2003

the good, the bad, and the ugly

"This place has good points, but it certainly is not a world class resort. The resort itself is looking rather run down. Many of the walkways are old and cracking, and there is a non-functioning fountain right when you enter. However, the landscaping is beautiful and there are tons of colorful flowers. The rooms are pleasant but the decorations are rather dated. The food was somewhat of a disappointment. If you can get in at Palm Grill (a difficult proposition at times) the food is decent with good presentation. However the buffet (the default dining option) is rather horrid. We ended up eating at the Palm grill almost every night, and even though they change their menu periodically it got old after a couple of days. The resort does things that makes it seem to be an "all-inclusive resort... but not really". Want a lock to the lockbox in your room? It will be an extra $1.50 per day. A trivial cost, but when your're paying hundreds of dollars a day to be there, it just seems petty. You also have to pay an extra $25.00 per person to eat at the nice restaurant Nicoles. The food there was fantastic, but paying extra rather stinks. There is plenty to do during the day- boating, swimming, lazing around drinking, etc. The beach is nice, but the resort does little to discourage locals from walking or swimming over. One day the swim platform was taken over by local kids for most of the day so no one from the resort could use it. There are lots of great excursion trips available- if you go, make sure to do the land and sea tour, which gives you a bus tour of most of the island and then a catamaran trip back up the island. It was definitely the highlight of the trip. The nightlife of the resort is oriented more towards families and the older crowd. Don't go there looking for dancing into the early morning hours. The spa is a joke. It is a converted guest room in which they have massage tables in place of the beds, and they ripped the toiled out of the bathroom and turned it into the "treatment room". While this place is definitely not a five star or probably even a four star resort, I still had a great time there. However I stayed there really cheap through a deal my wife got through her travel agency employer. If you can also get a great deal this place is fine, but if you are going to be staying for full price I highly recommend staying someplace else- perhaps a Sandals (if you have no kids) or Beaches (with kids). Those places will not leave you disappointed."

• Travel date: Mon 1st of September 2003

Not what I expected

"Just a review of my stay at the St. James Club Morgan Bay, St. Lucia. This was not a great vacation, from the moment we checked into the St. James I knew this place wasnt for us. If it werent for the NY black out I would have requested we change hotels. We arrived around 4 pm after traveling 6 hours and starving, were told that food service wasnt available until 6:30, and needed a reservation to most of the restaurants, so of course they were all booked for the next 3 days, at that time my boyfriend was getting very angry and asked the concierge to book him a reservation outside the hotel. We went to dinner at the Charthouse (which we ate there twice), which was very nice and spending $100.00. So much for all-inclusive. We actually had to tip the concierge $100.00 to get us reservation for the next 3 days, and the only nice restaurant we had to pay $25pp. at Nicoles. The buffet was OK but how long you can eat hamburgers and hot dogs for lunch. Food and drink is all-inclusive but you cannot ask for anything in a bottle or you will have to pay extra. The service is very slow and maybe thats natural with people of St. Lucia but I dont like savoring my dinner for 3 hours. Tradewinds is always fully booked but always half empty! The food at this resort was very poor. You will be hungry most of the time, that is until you see and taste the food, which will make you lose your appetite (this is not an exaggeration). I felt sick most of the time. Also if you want wine other that the "House wine" at dinner, you'll have to pay extra at this all inclusive resort. Also there were flies everywhere, it was too funny when a fly flew into a waitress mouth when taking our order. Evening entertainment sent most people to bed by 9pm, we met a few couples experiencing the same things we did and made our own party by the pool. This place definitely lacked nightly entertainment. Plus hanging at the bar at night and seeing kids there.The best day was Joy's Adventure trip, we took a boat trip to Soufriere, and saw the Volcano, the Sulfur Springs ate a great lunch on his beach cooked by Joy's mom and went snorkeling at the Jolouise Hilton. After being at the Hilton, I wish I could have stayed there the rest of the trip, the water there was so clear and the snorkeling was so much fun. The beach at the St. James was murky and the sand was hard and dirty. For this reason we spent most of our time around the adult pool, cause the other pool was full with screaming kids, and there were no chairs by the beach.The rooms there were clean and comfortable. We got our exercise going up the 3 flights of stairs to our room. They only nice thing I can say is that we got to enjoy the sunset everynight.There were safety deposit box in the room, which you had to pay $1.50 per day for the lock and key, lose it and youre out $125.00They had Spa services in the brochure, but did not find it. Also my boyfriend is a bodybuilder, you couldnt imagine his face when he went into the fitness room. The equipment was so outdated and poorly kept. He was told they had a gym around 10 minutes away he could use and of course he had to pay for it., plus a $10 cab ride each way.St. Lucia is a beautiful Island; we made the best of it met nice people and had a pleasant time despite the hotel. I will defitely go back to St. Lucia but definitely at a different hotel like Sandals.."

• Travel date: Sun 24th of August 2003

Kids will have a blast

Good

"Like so many who have contributed to this site lately I was concerned about the negative reviews having booked nearly a year in advance. What were those moaners on about. Balancing the price we paid with the facilities we received this resort represents excellent value for money.Now about the resort--- KID'S CLUB This amazing facility helped make the holiday for the entire family. Our kids are 8 and 11 years old and we had to bribe them to stay with us during the day. We only managed to do that a couple of days.It really came into it's own at 1830 hrs when they had the Kid's Dinner. That left the rents free to have a fortnight of romantic dinners for two. The kicking out time was 2100 hrs after crab racing, bonfire nights, play station games,pirate nights, disco, to name a few the kids then enjoyed spending the next hour or so playing and chatting with their new found friends.THE FOOD Really enjoyed the Palm Grill for both lunch and dinner. Staff went out of their way to make sure that you were enjoying the experience of eating in their restaurant. If you don't like anything on the menu (not very likely) ask for something diffent they will try and accomodate you. A tip at lunchtime- if you and the kids are covered in sand and you don't want to change the staff will serve you in the kid's dinner tent between the Palm Grill and Tradewinds. The Tradewinds is the self service restaurant. An excellent breakfast is served here. Our daughter is very picky with regards to her food and usually there was nothing she would eat on show however we just had to ask and chicken nuggets and fries would be served to her. The best dining experience of the resort is Nicoles - an adults only restaurant with A/C and thanks to the kids club we went twice. There is a $25 surcharge per person but it is well worth it.JOY'S TOUR Even though the weather was not too good on the day of our trip this tour had to be the hi-light of our holiday. The off shore views were breath taking and because the boat only seats 12 its pretty much tailor made. The rough seas because of the incoming tropical storm made the kids feel that they were on a big adventure. Ask for lifejackets as they will not be offered. The trip will not be as sanitised as the offical tours but at least you can say that you have seen the true St Lucia.OVERALL After looking forward to this holiday for over a year we were not disapponted. If we had to be negative it would be - resort close to the main road and you can hear sirens etc. Sea quite cloudy because of the sand although you can still see fish. We would love to go back but our 11 year old will be 12 next year and will have to pay adult prices. If only we had found this resort a couple of years ago."

• Travel date: Fri 22nd of August 2003

Not the resort of my dreams

"This resort was a complete nightmare. From the moment we arrived until the night we left. Let's say All inclusive was a joke. We ended up eating off the resort 2 nights of our stay. To eat at their restrauants you needed 3 day advance reservations, and if they were booked you were stuck eating at the buffet, which was not great. To get a good dinner there you had to eat at their restrauant Nicoles and pay $25pp. plus to get bottled water you had to pay for that too.The beach was small and the water was murky. So we had to stay at the Adult pool to avoid kids. There were kids everywhere and they didn't have enough things to keep them occupied. There was absolutely no night life at the resort.Our only good thing was Joy's excusurion, we had a great time snorkling at another hotel arcoss the island, the water there was crystal clear. St. Lucia is such a beautiful Island, I just wished I stay somewhere else.Granted the people at the resort where very friendly.I wish I found that spa. I looked all over for it. I'm not going to get into mentioning the gym. lol....and the smell..If you are young couple that isn't the place to be, this place mostly caters to families and older people."

• Travel date: Fri 22nd of August 2003

Just what we needed

Good

"Quite impressed, we did do a lot of research and chose well. Spotlessly clean, staff service excelled, they could not do enough for you. We moved rooms after the first night as we were in a roomwith a conecting door and noisy neighbours, sound travels through. once moved very rarely did we hear anything from our neighbours. Room ammenities standard, like the iron and board provided if was needed. We wanted a holiday to simply relax so did not want to have to 'find' places to eat etc. All inclusive here was impressive, 4 restaurants to choose from (which is one of the main reasons we chose Morgan Bay, when you are AI food can get very samey) but I have to say even if you only eat in the main self service restaurant - Palms - you would be satidfied with he quality and choice, perfect for families too. The others you needed to book for and offered different food all excellent and was more geered to adults.
Do the boat trip with Joy (situated on the beach)a family business, slightly cheaper and good fun, all by speed boat. He will arrange 'specials' too for groups. The massage on pool side was very worth it too. Gardens lovely.
On the down side for some people - some of the blocks are at a distance but would not have thought too much of a struggle to walk but there is always the buggy to call anyway. We went in school time, from comments from guests when we arrived who had overlapped with the school holidays, we understood it can get very populated with children and noise so be careful if its quiet you want. The free Wifi in the pool bar area was good. I even enjoyed some of the evening entertainment that was on each evening (not usually my thing) but was ok and the Steel Band be sure to catch. Well worth it and would return. Note as we were at the end of the season each block was being repainted and the exterior smartened up so comments about some of the buildings/rooms looking drab should not apply in the future, the ones we had a nosey in were looking good. Also a brand new batch of bed chairs arrived on the beach whilst we were there. (another previous negative comment rectified by the new management). One more thing, sandy beach (not white sand)sea just normal not turquoise blue and transparent but nothing wrong at all. Go to other beaches for the stunning white and blue I guess."

• Travel date: Wed 11th of July 2012

Very relaxing place

"We just came back from Almond Morgan bay. Spent a week there. People at the bar and restuarants ( except at pier restuarant )are very jolly, helpful and curtious.I would reccomond this place to any one who wants to have a relaxing time. Food is first class. Only a few negative points. Girls at the recception needs more training, they are not attentive. They advertise 3 rounds of free golf but its not true, you don't get any free golf."

• Travel date: Wed 2nd of February 2011

Hotels near St. James's Club Morgan Bay

Stayed at St. James's Club Morgan Bay? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for St. James's Club Morgan Bay

• St Lucia is good :) by St Lucia is good :)

"nice and warm place to be "

• NS by NS

"Gr8 place, gr8 service "

• linchada by linchada

"As a couple avoid school holidays unless you are a family of course! "

St. James's Club Morgan Bay is also called