About St. James's Club Morgan Bay

• babysitting
  • adult pool

Just what we needed

Reviewed Wed 11th of July 2012

"Quite impressed, we did do a lot of research and chose well. Spotlessly clean, staff service excelled, they could not do enough for you. We moved rooms after the first night as we were in a roomwith a conecting door and noisy neighbours, sound travels through. once moved very rarely did we hear anything from our neighbours. Room ammenities standard, like the iron and board provided if was needed. We wanted a holiday to simply relax so did not want to have to 'find' places to eat etc. All inclusive here was impressive, 4 restaurants to choose from (which is one of the main reasons we chose Morgan Bay, when you are AI food can get very samey) but I have to say even if you only eat in the main self service restaurant - Palms - you would be satidfied with he quality and choice, perfect for families too. The others you needed to book for and offered different food all excellent and was more geered to adults.
Do the boat trip with Joy (situated on the beach)a family business, slightly cheaper and good fun, all by speed boat. He will arrange 'specials' too for groups. The massage on pool side was very worth it too. Gardens lovely.
On the down side for some people - some of the blocks are at a distance but would not have thought too much of a struggle to walk but there is always the buggy to call anyway. We went in school time, from comments from guests when we arrived who had overlapped with the school holidays, we understood it can get very populated with children and noise so be careful if its quiet you want. The free Wifi in the pool bar area was good. I even enjoyed some of the evening entertainment that was on each evening (not usually my thing) but was ok and the Steel Band be sure to catch. Well worth it and would return. Note as we were at the end of the season each block was being repainted and the exterior smartened up so comments about some of the buildings/rooms looking drab should not apply in the future, the ones we had a nosey in were looking good. Also a brand new batch of bed chairs arrived on the beach whilst we were there. (another previous negative comment rectified by the new management). One more thing, sandy beach (not white sand)sea just normal not turquoise blue and transparent but nothing wrong at all. Go to other beaches for the stunning white and blue I guess."

• Travel date: Wed 11th of July 2012

Very relaxing place

Reviewed Thu 3rd of February 2011

"We just came back from Almond Morgan bay. Spent a week there. People at the bar and restuarants ( except at pier restuarant )are very jolly, helpful and curtious.I would reccomond this place to any one who wants to have a relaxing time. Food is first class. Only a few negative points. Girls at the recception needs more training, they are not attentive. They advertise 3 rounds of free golf but its not true, you don't get any free golf."

• Travel date: Wed 2nd of February 2011

Best holiday ever

Reviewed Tue 4th of January 2011

"i visited St Lucia on the 28/7/10 till the 18/8/10 it was very good.

The rooms and restaurants were very cleen and the pools were kept cleen it was a very quiet holiday and would recomend to any one "

• Travel date: Sat 1st of January 2011

We went in February 2008 for our sons we...

Reviewed Mon 3rd of March 2008

"We went in February 2008 for our sons wedding, the wedding was fantastic, the wedding co-ordinator at the resort knows her stuff and gave them a wonderful day to remember.
The resort itself to us was a bit of a let down, there are four restaurants and you must book for dinner every night, the dress code is collard shirts/polo shirts & trousers for the men, for the ladys smart, but not evening dress. Which was fine if people stuck to it, but our son told us that during there last couple of days when all the Americans arrived this rules lapsed altogether.
We had a room with a sea view which was stunning, it was clean, if some what tired looking, the cleaning staff are two loverly ladies and will see to all your needs. The children in our party enjoyed the kids club facility and this was well supervised at all times.
Staff attitude was at times off, but that was only a few and did not spoil the holiday/wedding for us. There was one occasion in Bamboos when the waitress there had a really bad attitude, so much so I ended up wearing some of my lunch because she wasn't watching what she was doing when she put my plate down, the consequences of that were orange oily gravy like stuff on my white linen trousers, I was not a happy person I can tell you.
The entertainment is basic but good, the dancers are fab, but I would have like to see a proper steel band and may be some Limbo dancing, still we cant always have what we wish for.
There is an Almond Tree down by the beach that a very nice man named Joy sits under, there you can book a wonderful day out with him as your guide, we went to the Pitons, Volcano, and the waterfall, he made the whole day come alive and his sisters cooking is out of this world, the best we ate in the whole of our stay in St Lucia.
As I said we were there in February this year, they had just finished building 3 new blocks behind the restaurants, beautiful looking blocks but as the staff are pushed to the limit now, I don't imagin it will be a very plesant being there from now on, there was talk of turning the Palms restaurant into an evening buffett style to cater for all the extra people for evening meals, in all that heat I wouldnt like to think of all that food sitting around for a few hours.
They have excellent beach facilities for you, but you have to book for everything as it gets really busy, the only thing you have to pay for if you are all inclusive, is the jet ski's. Everyone enjoyed the banana boat rides, and it was safe enough for the children in our party to go out on with out one of us being with them.
Would I go to St Lucia again, yes, but not to Almond Morgan Bay, I can see it getting very overcrowed, and all you will see is more and more blue sunbeds, and trust me we saw enough of them during our stay."

• Travel date: Mon 3rd of March 2008

I went to Smugglers Cove for 2 weeks wit...

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2007

"I went to Smugglers Cove for 2 weeks with my family for my sister's wedding. They had been struck by a hurricane just 6 weeks before we arrived, so were a little concerned about this having an effect on the place.

However, all repair work had been finished, they are currently still refurbishing some apartments since change of ownership. Lovely big rooms, all ground floors brightly painted in beautiful gardens. Service was excellent for the first week, but staff did seem to struggle a little with the influx of guests in the second week.

There were 4 restaurants on site, but not all open every night. For 2 weeks all-inclusive, the menus did get a little repetitive, but food itself was excellent. The private beach was wonderful, so good to swing in a hammock in the evening looking out over the waves.

I didn't use any of the facilities such as gym or racquet club or massages, but they were available. The swimming pools were good, especially having an adult only one, as although I was there with children, I appreciate that relaxing can be easier without kids jumping in all around.

The wedding itself was wonderful, resort organiser was available and helped it all go smoothly. Even the rain stopped before the ceremony and didn't start again till after the pictures. Don't let rainy season put you off, it's not rain, but liquid sunshine as I was told by a pirate on the Brig Unicorn (lovely day out on the pirate ship from Pirates of the Caribbean).

Take super strength insect repellent, and reapply often. Would definitely go again, Virgin are one of the best tour operators, even the in-flight beef stew was a reasonable portion and tasted good. Highly recommended."

• Travel date: Tue 30th of October 2007

My boyfriend and I have just returned fr...

Reviewed Sun 5th of November 2006

"My boyfriend and I have just returned from 10 days at the Almond Morgan Bay Resort, St Lucia. We had a fantastic holiday even though there was some building work going on which we were not told about by our tour operator!

Firstly the rooms; they were spacious and clean, the bed was huge (I didn't see my partner the whole holiday!!) and the bathroom was in very good condition.
The beach was not huge, however there were still enough sun beds to go around. There were 2 main pools and I children’s pool; these were all very clean and needed as it did get very hot!

The included water sports were absolutely fantastic, I ended up waterskiing 3 times a day, it was brilliant!

The food made the holiday for us. My boyfriend didn't like the idea of all inclusive as he hates buffets; the food here however was almost all A la Carte, and fantastic at that!

The only downfall of the holiday was the evening entertainment. There was only one band that played almost every night and didn't have a great selection of songs. I just hope you like the song Red Red Wine, because you will come to know it very well!!! Saying this, the kids there loved it as the band did get them all up dancing. We just sat by the pool bar out of harms way and chatted to the other couples trying to stay away from the stage!!!!

All in all I would definitely recommend this resort to couples and families alike, there is enough for everyone!

• Travel date: Sun 5th of November 2006

After having made the decision to go to...

Reviewed Thu 2nd of November 2006

"After having made the decision to go to St Lucia I picked this property based on two things, the first being price and the second being intrigue. I had been to St Lucia before and last time I had done a twin centre at Le Sport and Jalousie Plantation. I knew Almond Morgan Bay was newly refurbished and had been renamed so I decided to give it a go.

We booked Virgin Atlantic flights, the hotel I booked through a travel agents booking scheme (as I am an agent) and we hired a jeep on arrival at the airport. To drive in St Lucia you need a driving permit which can be issued by car rental companies or by the police. You must show this permit if stopped. It costs 54 Eastern Caribbean dollars and is quickly issued. The road from Hewanorra airport in the south of the island to Almond Morgan Bay is full potholes. The roads are very winding and hilly so a 4 wheel drive really is necessary. The driving time to the hotel is 90 minutes and you really can’t go wrong as there is only one road on the island that practically circles it.

We were greeted on arrival with ice cold towels and a rum or fruit punch. Then were taken to our room by buggy and were pleasantly surprised. The rooms are extremely large and are pleasantly decorated, the beds were larger than average and the furniture was white wicker. There was a fridge, a coffee maker, iron and ironing board and a safe for which there was no charge. We also had a small balcony with furniture. Air conditioning was free and operated from the room not centrally thankfully.

There were 4 restaurants on site, and guest services had already made us a reservation for the first night at the Bambu, this served Asian/Caribbean food.

There was also a snack bar - the Plum Tree Bar & grill, this served a choice of Pizzas, hamburgers etc from lunchtime through till early evening. It also had a self service ice cream and drinks bar. Beside the Plum Tree there was a swimming pool, this snack bar was well away from the other restaurants and although we went to see it we never used it as it was popular with families and children.

There was also a seafood restaurant, this is set on a jetty, and personally I can say we had our worst meal here but it may just have been our choice.

The best by far was Le Jardin the French restaurant, this was the only indoor restaurant, fully air conditioned and adults only. I had a wonderful meal in here (Malay Lamb and Coconut rice) not very French but wonderful nevertheless. Reservations were required at all but one restaurant, the one serving continental dishes and this was operated on a first come first served basis.

There was a main pool for everyone and an adults only swim up bar. Sun beds were ample in numbers both at the pools and on the beach - however we did go in October.

The water sports centre was open daily and all water sports were free including the lessons. Almond Morgan Bay is situated in Choc Bay and it is not called Choc Bay for nothing. If you are a scuba diver the visibility in the water is not good at all. My husband scuba dives (I just sun myself) so we took a drive to Anse Chastenet for the day, this hotel has its own marine reserve and has some fabulous offshore reefs. (Obviously it has a dive centre) It’s about an hours drive from the Almond back towards the airport. It’s free to get in for the day and it has a wonderful restaurant on the beach. The road leading here from the main road is a very bumpy dirt track and also requires a four wheel drive.

The Almond buildings are colourful and each is no more than three storeys high, however the resort is quite spread out and if you are elderly or have walking difficulties i would suggest you request a room near the main restaurant and pool area because otherwise there are some extremely steep slopes, not to mention the steps up to your room.

All in all this is not a totally up market hotel however it is a very good economical choice especially for families on a budget, for which holidays can be extremely expensive.

The staff were friendly, the rooms were spotless and for what we paid I have no complaints. It is also worth adding that I had read many reviews on this hotel (on other sites) that mentioned a strong smell of sewage about the resort. Apart from the odd hint on the odd occasion I think they must have rectified this problem.

Throughout the resort anything that did require payment, US dollars were as widely accepted as Eastern Caribbean dollars.

Lastly when leaving the island don’t forget there is a $22 per person departure tax payable and this includes children so remember not to spend all your money!"

• Travel date: Thu 2nd of November 2006

The reception area is pleasing to the ey...

Reviewed Fri 30th of June 2006

"The reception area is pleasing to the eye and you are welcomed with a drink. The staff are pleasant enough. The rooms are ok they have been re-furbished to a good standard.

The drinks at the bar are supposed to be "premium Brand" ? If you ask for a branded drink it is frowned upon by some members of staff who are keen to give the locally produced versions to guests.

The Rum which comes in a bucket tasted a bit wet to me so I asked if it had water in it the reply came yes as it is considered "too strong for the tourists". Orange juice seemed to be non existent in the bars in the evenings and the staff could be seen watering down what they had to make it last.

Their version of Baileys (a popular drink there) was guarded as they only had so many bottles per day and often ran out.

The Main bars close at 11pm but the staff had the bottles cleared away and would ignore guest 15 minutes before last orders. Overall not good.

The restaurants,

Best on site is Le Jardin the food was well cooked and had variety. The other restaurants are hit and miss, Bamboo an "Asian" themed place gives portions so small that you can not help but laugh they do not taste authentic either.

The fish restaurant can't remember the name had such a bad meal that I never went back, they have a non fish dish on the menu but be prepared to be laughed at by the waitress if you order it. The dish I ordered came out totally wrong but I tried to eat it anyway but on my first mouthful I crunched into mussel shells, needless to say I did not carry on but sent it back to the kitchen. The Chef came to have a chat after the table was cleared and apologised, I asked how he could let food go out of the kitchen in that way his reply "I was elsewhere doing something"

Breakfast was good and with a wide variety.

You may be reading this and think I am a serial complainer, I am not I have spent five weeks in St Lucia this year and holiday on other Islands in the Caribbean, St Lucia is a beautiful island and nothing can change that but ones overall enjoyment can be tainted if you have chosen the wrong resort.

The resort purports to be of higher class than others and has strict dress codes, after having been there for two days eighty Polish travel agents arrived and took over the pool bar during the day and behaved like football supporters shouting and drinking and making people feel very uncomfortable they also flouted the rule regarding dress and wore what they wanted during the evenings contrary to the resorts rules.

The rules which are posted all over the place are a little strict but if all are trying to comply it is bad that the management said nothing to those who clearly had no intention of respect in that direction. I was informed that the Travel Agents were there on a free visit.

I complained at the time to the rep from Virgin who could not have cared less.
I am not the only person to have had these views but many people do not complain they just say they will. I feel so strongly about this holiday I had to say something.

In the end it turned out to be a very expensive B&B as we went out for the days and evenings.

I have stayed in better 3 star accommodation and felt less like being in a holiday camp."

• Travel date: Fri 30th of June 2006

Fantastic holiday! Staff excellent. Ch...

Reviewed Mon 31st of May 2004

"Fantastic holiday!

Staff excellent.

Children’s activities excellent.

Food more than excellent.

Cleanliness excellent.

St lucia had had a lot of rain just before we arrived which made the sand mix with the sea which meant the sea was not that clear - but this did not effect our holiday at all!

If you go - see ron the entertainment manager and say that ‘wasn’t’ said hello!"

• Travel date: Mon 31st of May 2004

The Hotel was in pretty surroundings as...

Reviewed Wed 31st of March 2004

"The Hotel was in pretty surroundings as it had it’s own gardens. The overall food quality was good and there was allot of choice. The service at the bars was slow and there was no queuing system, sometimes you were waited on at your table but not always.

The sea in the cove was murky but it did say this in the brochure. But my husband and I do like to snorkel.

The hotel was quite out of the way and you needed to order a taxi or take a bus to go into Castries or Rodney Bay.

We think that Rodney bay had more to offer as there were shops and the sea was clearer, there were bars and restaurants also in this area.

Most of the locals were friendly but you still have to be aware of those who know you are holidaymakers.

We did three excursions; helicopter tour of the Island, this I found rather disappointing. Snorkelling half day with Dive St. Helen, this was great fun and they were very accommodating.

The third was a full days trip on the Brig, this is a sailing ship apparently used in the Pirates of the Caribbean, excellent service from the crew, we visited the drive through volcano, botanical gardens and waterfall and swam for half an hour in the sea on the return journey, well worth the money. They also do special Pirate days for the children.

There is one essential item I would take if I was to return to St. Lucia, an umbrella! We didn’t know that rain could fall as heavy and as much as it did. But you also need a high factor sun cream as the breeze can catch you unaware!"

• Travel date: Wed 31st of March 2004

A GREAT PLACE FOR A HONEYMOON OR WITH KIDS

Reviewed Fri 19th of October 2012

"We went to St. James Club for one week in May 2003 for our honeymoon - WE HAD A BLAST - the people at the resort were EXTREMELY FRIENDLY and courteous....we got an upgrade from our orginal booking because we were on our honeymoon! The food was great - NB that you have to book in advance for one of the restaurants -but that is not a big deal - there was tons of variety.

The water sport activites were fun... for the most part you could sign up for the time you wanted and enjoy yourself.... The Lounge activites were great and defintley would suggest you check them out.... we loved DAMIAN!!!! If you have KIDS - there is tons for them to do - as well as a KIDS program - and trust me they do not get in the way of the "honeymooners" There is a family pool in the main area of the resort and an "Adult" pool which is off the the back of the resort with the steam room and all - still a bar at that pool side - yeah! Most of the activites that were scheduled took place if the weather permitted.

DEFINTELY WOULD GO BACK IN A HEART BEAT - we met many couples that were there on their 5th, 10th, 25th, etc... anniversaries...."

• Travel date: Thu 23rd of October 2003

Wonderful 2 weeks!!

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"We stayed at St James Club, Morgan Bay for our Honeymoon for 2 weeks on 9th September. The resort was fantastic and the staff were very attentive. The hotel was quite quiet in our first week so we didn't have to reserve a restaurant we just strolled there when we felt like it. The second week was a little busier and we had to reserve a restaurant every night but this was no hassle as you could book 3 nights in advance at guest relations, we had no problems and always got a reservation. The food was excellent and as a person with special diet needs they were only to happy to do an alternative if I couldn't eat was on offer. Breakfast is not to be missed with all the fresh fruit and then with lunch, afternoon tea, dinner and a midnight snack you can hardly starve. Nicole's charge a supplement to eat there but if you visit you will understand why, the food and service are 5 star. Our room was superb, clean, light and right by the sea. All the activities on offer and the trips outside of the resort are worth doing just to see some of the beautiful island, although if you'd rather stay at the resort there is plenty to do and with the 2 pools if you need to escape from the children you can. The entertainment is ok, some much better than others, the casino night is a must but if you are there 2 weeks you will see some repeats. We would certainly recommend the resort to anyone visiting St Lucia as our honeymoon there was totally unforgettable."

• Travel date: Fri 17th of October 2003

Hotels near St. James's Club Morgan Bay

Top traveller tips for St. James's Club Morgan Bay

• St Lucia is good :) by St Lucia is good :)

"nice and warm place to be "

• NS by NS

"Gr8 place, gr8 service "

• linchada by linchada

"As a couple avoid school holidays unless you are a family of course! "

St. James's Club Morgan Bay is also called