Paradise!

Reviewed Thu 31st of October 2013

"I have been all over the World and usually stay in four or five star hotels, The bay Gardens Beach resort is my favorite hotel, there is just something about the place that you do not forget. The staff are wonderful, the location great and the hotel is comfortable and relaxing. A truly great place to stay on a lovely island."

• Travel date: Wed 30th of October 2013

Not for young families

Reviewed Tue 15th of February 2011

"This is a great resort in many respects. But it is a disaster in one crucial respect - if you are a young family. If you study the photo you will see a pagoda like structure to the left of the pool. That is the site of loud and sometimes aggressive music most nights, starting around 7pm and going on late. If you are in the near-by rooms you will have a major issue with noise. Our windows rattled, we could not hear the TV, nor read to our kids. Our 3 and 5 year olds were majorly disturbed most nights. A key problem is that the resort doubles up as a nightlife venue for the area - selling tickets widely for open-air live-music events most nights of the week in high-season. The staff are very unsympathetic to your needs in this respect. I was told it was "just the Caribbean" one night (the rest of the area was beautifully quiet meanwhile). On another occasion I had a DJ (who'd been shouting into a microphone like an MC at a rave with the noise echoing around our room until 2.30am) treat me in a threatening manner. Persistently the management denied there was a problem. On complaining to our holiday company on our return, they responded that we were offered new rooms. We were not until the last night (and they were in a block being renovated). Ultimately, they just didn't understand our concerns. And it ruined our holiday."

• Travel date: Sat 12th of February 2011

Simply Wonderful - Simply Beautiful

Reviewed Mon 17th of December 2012

"Have just arrived home from the Bay Gardens Beach Resort in St. Lucia. My husband and I stayed at this resort from April 6-13. We had a one-bedroom beachfront suite on the 2nd floor.

This resort is wonderful. Grounds are beautiful, property is very well maintained and clean. The room was lovely with the beachfront patio (used a lot), big bedroom, big bathroom, another half bath, very well supplied kitchenette, nice dining area and sitting area. This was our first time not staying at an all-inclusive and we quite enjoyed it. We had the freedom to choose where we wanted to eat (hotel, room, or one of the many restaurants in Rodney Bay.

It's a nice walk into the Rodney Bay village area to the grocery store (Super J's) - quite well stocked by the way.

We didn't do a lot of trips - one to the Rainforest Skyride and one to Pigeon Island - the rest of the time spent relaxing. My only regret is that we didn't visit Soufriere - next time.

On our last night we went down the street to Iguana Wanna's (fun). Make sure you visit and have a 'Piton'.

In closing, all staff at this resort should be commended. We felt welcome from the time we arrived until the time we left.

I would highly recommend this resort and we hope to be back."

• Travel date: Sat 19th of April 2008

loved the location

Reviewed Wed 26th of December 2012

"good location, friendly hotel staff, lovely clean rooms, lovely beach, quieter part of the beach, near restaurants."

• Travel date: Sun 13th of April 2008

Best Hotel on the Best Beach in St Lucia

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"The title is the summary, an opinion formed by looking at the alternatives on Reduit beach.

I had planned this as a 12 day family holiday treat, having read a fair bit about the caribbean since I had never been before. Was going to book everything directly online and then discovered Virgin Holidays did this hotel as part of a package for very little more -apparently it's always best to go to the Caribbean with a tour operator. I have no complaints (although there are a few minor areas where the hotel could improve further). We (2 adults, 2 children - 11 and 9 years) booked a one-bedroom beachfront apartment which was superb - generous, well equipped rooms inc kitchenette, large ensuite and separate WC for the kids; everything was extremely clean and the room cleaning/linen service outstanding. Ours was two floors up from the ground (no lift) and the balcony overlooking the bay face-on was large enough to eat breakfast on around the table. Staff were pleasant and helpful and the hotel put on regular music/food events including evening drinks receptions at no charge. The steel band and rock/reggae groups were mostly high calibre. Minibar prices were only marginally above supermarket prices. The supermarket was about a mile away but a pleasant walk along the main restaurant avenue. Main hotel restaurant was reasonably priced but there are plenty of good alternative places to eat nearby too.

Unfortunately for the first 4 days we were there, there were uncharacteristically high seas which meant (1) we could only swim in the pool (which itself was fine but devoid of water slides/diving) (2) there was a risk of flooding of the ground floor apartments. Weather was obviously outside the control of the hotel whose staff behaved very professionally and successfully kept the sea on the beach, having used a mechanical digger to create a temporary ditch and wall of sand. Once the seas calmed down this was quickly removed, and the natural beauty restored. There were complementary beach loungers for residents and occasional waiter service from the bar on the beach.

The only niggle was only 3 small forks in the kitchenette for 4 people and despite 3 requests this wasn't rectified."

• Travel date: Sat 12th of April 2008

Simply Amazing!

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"Our family of 5 stayed at the Bay Garden Beach Resort for 4 nights begining March 24th and departing on March 28th, 2008.
The ride from the internation airport costs on avg $20 per person. However, I was able to get a ride back for about $15 per person. The booking agent will not dicker but once you get a driver, you can negotiate a bit. We also hired a driver to take us around the island for $150. This is a great way to see the island without paying the avg $100 per person tour fee and this way you can customize it anyway you want. The driver also provided us with soda's, beer, water, & other snack food for that same price.
We had a 2 bedroom beachfront suite that was more than accomodating for our needs. However, I have to admit. I had one difficult time making a decision on where to stay in St. Lucia. The Bay Garden Beach Resort won out in the end and I am so glad we chose this property. Let me start by saying that the property sells itself. It is simply beautiful. It still has the new feel about it. The rooms are huge & well decorated. It also helps that the beachfront suite we had came with a full size kitchen. This was especially important because everything was so expensive. Maybe not so much for 2 or 3 people but having a family of five required us to eat in for some meals. Other than that the facility certainly gets an A+. Also, let me say this before I forget. All of the staff at the resort were extremely friendly and went out of their way to ensure that we had a good time on the island. You would think that this would be expected but trust me I have been to many resorts and have not experienced this level of service in quite a while. The restraurant in the resort was decent but nothing spectacular. We ate there once and then decided to eat out for the rest of our stay. There are a number of places within walking distance that had pretty good food and definitely more variety.

The only problems we had were with not having hot water in the room. We stayed in 903 & 904 and neither had hot water for 2 of the 4 nights we were there. Once reported, someone came out but apparently whatever they did didnt work. However, they did allow us to go to another unit to shower which was nice but a inconvenient.

Overall, very nice facility, beautiful views, and would highly recommend this resort to anyone thinking about coming to St. Lucia and staying in Rodney Bay."

• Travel date: Sat 12th of April 2008

Single and Happy

Reviewed Thu 8th of November 2012

"It's hard for me to review hotels because when it really comes down to it nothing could ruin my vacation unless it was the Bates Motel. I might see things differently, my cup is always half full. There might have been a few things i could dwell on but i don't even remember them anymore. My vacation was 12 days short, i refuse to say long because it seemed to fly by.

I was traveling alone for the first time, a single female staying at BGBR and i had a wonderful time. I was booked for a garden view suite for three days and when i got there i was upgraded to a pool view without even asking. When the staff realized i was traveling alone everyone immediately became my friends and family. Watching out for me, making sure i was safe and happy. Giving me advice about what to do and where to go. I know my family at home was reassured that i had people who were taking such good care of me. One of the bartenders even talked to my mother on the phone to tell her i was okay and not to worry. I feel like i have a second family at BGBR. Needless to say i was booked for 3 days and then i was planning on moving to a cheaper hotel for the next 9 days to save money but by my second day there i knew i wasn't leaving... I didn't want to be anywhere but BGBR.

**If you have specific questions please feel free to send me a personal message.

Room: I stayed in a Suite pool view.. if you can afford a suite DO IT!!! I loved having the kitchen.

Staff: Always friendly but then, so was I. What you put out you get back. Loved Annette and Damian (bartenders). Housekeeping I think i saw once but magically i would come back to my room and it was spick and span. Flowers were left everyday on my pillow, towels refreshed daily and the head of housekeeping Merlinda went out of her way to help me get my stay extended and not have to change rooms, which wasn't even her job. Cheryl at the front desk was very accomdating with all me needs. I could go on forever about the staff...There are many people i left out but you guys don't care about that stuff.

Beach: Makes the Resort that much better. It's at the end of reduit so more private than the other hotels on reduit. It felt very secluded. Loungers only for BGBR residents and they had wooden umbrellas with table you can rest your stuff on so it won't get sandy. Really unique trees line the resorts beach which also provide shade. BGBR Security that patrol and stop vendors from hasseling you, which they didn't hassel they asked and with a polite no kept on walking and locals that try to sit on the chairs(if stuff like that bothers you). I went parasailing, tubing and jet skiing, Find Fabian or Froggie in the red shirts, if you want to partake in jet ski they are very nice. Also the FRUIT MAN is a sight to see.

Food: Great location for resturants so there is no lack of choice. I loved spinnakers which is down the beach from BGBR. I usually ate at the bar at BGBR so i can't comment on there resturant.

Pool: was a nice break from the beach. You can put your lounger in the pool and suntan while frequently spashing water to cool down without ever getting off your lounger. Also the pool is a nice oval type shape so i enjoyed doing laps in the pool and considering that my exercise for the day. It made me feel better about the amount of frozen drinks i consumed.

Overall i loved the hotel and if you are looking for a new hotel right on the beach this is a great choice. As for single female travelers i think i would have been bored at night if i didn't make such great friends down there. Not much night entertainment when i was there in december. But I was well watched after and felt safe and comfortable.

DO NOT DO the all inculsive package. There are to many great resturants in that area to confine yourself to BGBR.

DO Go to the friday night jump up, it's a great experience if you want to try local food and drinks and dance in the streets. If you go ask a local where you can find SPICE, it's a local drink that will have you feelin pretty good."

• Travel date: Wed 12th of March 2008

We loved it! Great family vacation

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"We traveled with our son, age 8, during the February Presidents' break. We stayed at the Bay Gardens Beach Resort as an Interval International getaway. It was absolutely fabulous! The accomodations are fantastic. The housekeeping is superb. We loved the decorum of the unit (we had a 2 bedroom- which was way too big for our small threesome.) The people at Bay Gardens are doing their best to make this resort feel like a "home away from home." The concierge, Sarah Lee, was a doll and she really gave us some good advice for restaurants. Theresa, the tour planner, was great too and she helped us book trips on a Catamaran (the Tango Too) and to go ziplining in the rainforest- SOooo much fun! There's also an Avis desk if you'd like to rent a car for a day or two. We enjoyed bingo one night, a Managers' Cocktail party another night (where the owners actually showed up and welcomed us to their resort) and a beach blast on another night. There was a fire eater, dancers, a limbo poll and you eat on the beach. The food was good at the restaurant on the premises and we were informed that a more formal restaurant is opening any day now. We LOVED Big Chef's steakhouse. The BEST food we ate all week. It was the most expensive also. The ribs at the Charthouse were great (everything else was just so-so.) We had burgers one night at Castaways and they were the biggest burgers we've ever had. Spinnakers was decent (I had coconut shrimp- very good, and my husband had steak- just so- so.) There is a great supermarket just up the road called Super J's. It's an excellent food market with everything you need. We enjoyed breakfast and some lunches in the room. We loved having our coffee outside on the patio/balcony. We'd love for the resort to expand their poolside menu to include more offerings. As of now, they just have salads and paninis- which are both delicious. But, we would have liked some additional bar-type food. We absolutely loved St. Lucia and the people on the island. We never felt unsafe or scared at all! Last thought....if you're flying into Hewanorra Airport, then consider helicoptering up to the Nortwest side of the island. The car ride is 1 1/2 hours from hell! If you have a choice, fly into Castries. That airport is only 10 minutes from the resort. The helicopter transfer is approx $240 each way. (I think you can share the cost with others- not exactly sure.) We heard that that is the best way to go."

• Travel date: Wed 12th of March 2008

Fantastic

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"We spent a week (21-28 Feb) at the Bay Gardens Beach and discovered a real gem. From the moment we arrived all staff couldn't do enough to help us. They genuinely want to make your visit memorable, whilst in no way being pushy. As a new hotel all rooms are immaculate and most have excellent views of either the sea/pool/gardens and are not overlooked.
We would have been disappointed with a room at the side facing Gros Islet, but prices reflected that.
The concept of this hotel is not to offer ALL IN packages, as others do along the coast. This is an excellent idea as there are a number of brilliant restaurants - including the one in house (Tides) - within half a mile.
Worth noting that the stretch of beach in front of the hotel is kept clean & uncluttered (beach loungers etc), unlike the Rex next door which seems intent upon filling their beach with guests from visiting cruise ships.
Great people, perfect location on a super island.
We hope it doesn't change too much and we will return."

• Travel date: Tue 4th of March 2008

Excellent beach setting

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"We were delighted with our choice of accommodation - Bay Garden Beach Resort. The room had a balcony over-looking the pool and was well appointed, kept spotlessly clean, and spacious. All the staff were very friendly, and keen that we enjoyed our stay. We loved the hotel's position on the beach which was cleaned every morning and watching the sunsets. Service at breakfast time can be a little slow, but the view is good."

• Travel date: Fri 22nd of February 2008

Luxury Leisure on St. Lucia

Reviewed Mon 17th of December 2012

"Bay Gardens Beach Resort is a great place to enjoy a week in winter. The facilities are new, the staff is friendly, and the rooms are first-rate. We stayed a week and can recommend BGBR to anyone travelling to the Lesser Antilles.

We had a two bedroom unit with a full kitchen. St. Lucia is a fairly expensive travel destination, so having the kitchen was a great money saving extra. There is a supermarket, mini-mart, drug store and several restaurants within an easy ten minute walk of the resort. The stores have enough of the US brands we were familiar with to stock our fridge.

The resort itself has all the amenities you would expect of a Caribbean resort. Pool, beach, restaurant, bar, hot tub. It has on-site car rental and tour desk. The food in the restaurant is very good.

But it is the staff that makes the difference. They were the friendliest group we have encountered. They will go out of their way to make sure your vacation is enjoyable. The rooms have high-speed internet and cable television. The rooms are large and well appointed, with air conditioning for those hot afternoons.

We did have a couple of small problems, but they were fixed within a few minutes. The resort even answered a pre-trip email, giving us contact info for an expert guide for birding on the island. We were able to go to places we would have never found on our own, and we saw more bird species than we had hoped for.

Kudos to BGBR and its staff. We had a great time."

• Travel date: Thu 21st of February 2008

Enjoyed this hotel

Reviewed Thu 8th of November 2012

"Stayed 4 nights here for first visit to St Lucia. Deliberately chose the busy Rodney Bay area so could make best of short time there. Hotel very comfortable, right on beach with a nice pool. Didn't eat much in hotel so can't really comment on food. Ate at Buzz, nearby restaurant, twice as it was so good - really well run with excellent food. Also ate at indian restaurant Razmataz which was good too. Did Pigeon Island, Rain Forest trip and minibus trip to Pitons then catamaran back. Although some of the more secluded hotels are popular I think we made the right decision to stay in this busy area as there was plenty to do in the short time available. St Lucia is very beautiful and the people very friendly and they look after you well."

• Travel date: Wed 20th of February 2008

Hotels near Bay Gardens Beach Resort

Top traveller tips for Bay Gardens Beach Resort

• Earplugsrequired by Earplugsrequired

"Not for young families "

Bay Gardens Beach Resort is also called